PDA

View Full Version : What the..? HOw? Huh? iM fReAKIN oUt !

dave247
09-21-2004, 06:14 PM
*recovers from convulsing*

My sweat Heavens. I have just ventured to the galleries and checked out the 2d art and saw some of the amazing art dont with photoshop.

To put it simply: I can not believe my eyes. How in the freaking world can such amaizing images be created with photoshop??? I have PS and I haven't even considered being able to create such dazzling, unprecedented works of beauty.

I beg anyone out there who may read this that you please help me understand how to do this.. I don't care what it takes.. tutorial sites or whatever.. I want to know how to make beautiful paint like images with PS. I want to know the techniques.. everything.. *drools*

someone.. help

dave247
09-21-2004, 06:28 PM
okay I am still coming down.. and I had a thought..Many of those artists usually start off with a drawing they did right? And then they scan it and then spice it up with PS?

I really want to know some god techniques. I want to be able to do this!

(sorry if I am acting stupid)

dave247
09-21-2004, 06:35 PM
okay I also see that alot of people use painter program too... hmm...

Is that program ideal for creating a lot of those works? Can you do the same things in Photoshop as you can in painter?

TheNeverman
09-21-2004, 08:36 PM
Just a suggestion - but try asking 'specific' questions if you want answers... Your question is just too broad at this point...

n8

Elysian
09-21-2004, 11:15 PM
Are you talking about some beautiful portraits you saw or this lifelike image of a cat?
Sorry to disappoint you, but these people have great drawing/painting skills and it has nothing to do whether you use painter or photoshop, these are just tools, nothing else.
Most of these great artists make a sketch first on paper or in photoshop and then they start adding color, shading and details.

But without the skills you're not going to create anything that exceeds the skills of the average dodo who uses these tools.

dave247
09-22-2004, 03:30 PM
Are you talking about some beautiful portraits you saw or this lifelike image of a cat?
Sorry to disappoint you, but these people have great drawing/painting skills and it has nothing to do whether you use painter or photoshop, these are just tools, nothing else.
Most of these great artists make a sketch first on paper or in photoshop and then they start adding color, shading and details.

But without the skills you're not going to create anything that exceeds the skills of the average dodo who uses these tools.Yes they do have skills.. I pretty much figured that. My main thoughts of amazement were at how they take those skills and combine them with photoshop or whatever skills and then make an awesome work of art. I would say that I am a pretty good artist, (not near the best) and I am good with photoshop.. And I guess I would just really like to know a common technique of generating certain aspects of an image.

Take this one for example: http://www.cgnetworks.com/gallerycrits/100672/100672_1092706887.jpg

I just love how the hair is done. But I dont know the right(best) tools and methods to get such a product. Same goes with the shading and skin and well, everything on the pic!

I believe that I could use real paint to create an image close to that quality. SO I would say that my weakness lies in photoshop. But I am good with it and have been useing it for about a year now. SO I guess now I need to find out how to acomplish results like that using a method. But I dont know any methods!

So I am hoping that maybe someone can help me find some good tutorials for this specific need of mine. Thats to create paint realistic works like the archer pic I put up there.

I once found a good tutorial site for the hair, but its not up anymore.

I will check out the tutorial thread, but I will have to filter out all the stuff that I am not looking for.

dave247
09-22-2004, 03:45 PM
okay.. sorry guys for acting stupid. Its just that all the art hit me and I was so amazed and couldnt think.

I have been searching google for skin and hair tutorials and found some good stuff. I will get to work.

Thanks for being patient with me. (I've been talking to myself this whole thread)

Missie
09-23-2004, 06:52 AM
okay I also see that alot of people use painter program too... hmm...

Is that program ideal for creating a lot of those works? Can you do the same things in Photoshop as you can in painter?Why don't you have a look at the Tutorials thread? You can find many digital painting tutorials there. This is the beginning. You need to master photoshop's tools and the drawing techniques. It will take time before your dig paintings get a look closer to those you saw in the 2D art works section. If you are persistent, one day you'll see your efforts rewarded. So, don't wast time waiting someone tell you how to do it! Everybody started just the same way.

;-)

Elysian
09-23-2004, 12:53 PM
I have been searching google for skin and hair tutorials and found some good stuff. I will get to work.That was exactly the kind of advice I wanted you to give. Good to see that you think you'll work it out, good luck ;)

berniebernie
09-23-2004, 04:15 PM
If you want to be amazed check the daily sketch forum, amazing drawings done there every day !! makes you want to quit the business...

what_happened
09-24-2004, 05:20 PM
If you can draw pretty well, then you need to sit down in front of photoshop (or software of choice) and learn what each tool can and cannot do. Once you know the tools inside-out, then you'll have that much more artistic freedom.

Also, these people probably use a tablet as well. Which, of course, is another tool. A tablet, once tweaked/set up to the artists liking, is just like pen and paper to them.

Elysian
09-24-2004, 05:59 PM
If you can draw pretty well, then you need to sit down in front of photoshop (or software of choice) and learn what each tool can and cannot do. Once you know the tools inside-out, then you'll have that much more artistic freedom.Exactly! About the same what I told someone days ago. Learning Photoshop is all about having that artistic freedom, very important in my view.

dg
09-24-2004, 06:09 PM
If you like digital painting grab a look at www.gfxartist.com (http://www.gfxartist.com), you'll be amazed every single day ;)

Good luck,

Missie
09-24-2004, 07:32 PM
If you can draw pretty well, then you need to sit down in front of photoshop (or software of choice) and learn what each tool can and cannot do. Once you know the tools inside-out, then you'll have that much more artistic freedom.Right now I am trying to prove the opposite - a person who cannot draw (let's say he never learned how to) may and will be a good artist as long as he's driven by the desire to express what's inside and will to master the appropraite tools for achieving this.

Will let you knw the results when the time is right.

:):):):):):)

Elysian
09-24-2004, 11:35 PM
Right now I am trying to prove the opposite - a person who cannot draw (let's say he never learned how to) may and will be a good artist as long as he's driven by the desire to express what's inside and will to master the appropraite tools for achieving this.Opposite of what? because I don't understand you. You said "to master the appropriate tools". Isn't that exactly what what_happened was trying to say in his post?
He's not saying that the right tool makes you automatically a good artist. I'm pretty sure that between 90-100% of the members know that Photoshop is nothing but a tool.

With 'artistic freedom' he only meant having the freedom to develop and whether it leads to amazing results, well that's a completely different story of course. ;)

Btw, what's your definition of a good artist Missie?

fersteger
09-25-2004, 03:59 AM
hey dave, I just went thru what you did. I knew ppl painted in PS and painter but never saw stuff really good. Then I started looking at works done digitally then found this site. Ive used PS before but always for simple comic book style coloring and Id say Im a decent artist.
So I decided to buy a wacom tablet and its the best art tool I ever got. Being able to pint with a pen and adjust pressure sensitivity opacity thickness and all that stuff just as if you were using a regular pen makes so much difference. I highly suggest getting a graphic tablet Ive been using it the past 4 days since I got it almost nonstop.
Also most of the more painterly looking pics are done with painter which I gotta get too. All it is is just painting same as you would on canvas. If you are a decent artist, know value and perspective and anatomy and stuff you'll be just as good using the PC. With a mouse I could never do stuff I can now with a tablet. I'm not trying to sell you one or anything It's just I was struggling to see how this awesome art can be done and the way I see it at least the tablet is the only way to go.
check out the gallery showcase threads, the monthly contest Machineflesh or something. They have all the pics at all stages of work so you can see the process the artist go through from sketch to finish its pretty cool. They all work differently and you can learn a lot by going thru them, I did.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.