PDA

View Full Version : How Stable is Modo?

DMack
09-21-2004, 05:07 PM
Hi,

I know it's early days but it's a good indication of the company policy.....Can someone tell me, who is using Modo extensively...how stable is it....How many crashes per day/week? More or less stable than LW modeler 7.5b?

David

chrisdz
09-21-2004, 05:22 PM
I've been playing with it (mostly learning my way around and reviewing old meshes) for about 3 days now and I have yet to see a spontaneous quit or hangup in OSX. I did have one odd instance where the perspective preview pane just stayed empty all the time while the other 3 updated normally, but quitting and relaunching fixed it and I haven't seen it since.

dotTom
09-21-2004, 06:20 PM
I've had reproducable crashes (at least I know how to avoid them) and display artifacts. I'm now inclined to put these down to ATI's V3100 drivers. The drivers work fine with Maya 6 and XSI 4 - so maybe it's also a little bit of "1.0" syndrome. Don't let that put you off getting it - it's really, really nice. There's obviously a lot of love and thought gone into the design of it.

Phil Lawson
09-21-2004, 07:48 PM
Modo, although excellent, crashes every time I use it either with a memory error or quits direct to desktop. I put it down to the nvidia drivers though. I have used the lastest ones from nvidia's site and also beta 66.32 drivers..neither make any difference.

I might have said memory, but no other application, i.e. Lightwave 7.5 /8 or Photoshop CS generates these errors.

Crashes are random and could be doing anything from rotating an object to beveling.

I really hope its fixed soon...nothing more annoying than working only for it to quit and having to to reload a 5min old save. :)

Griffon
09-21-2004, 08:12 PM
Sounds very much like the nVidia bug. We're waiting on them...

You can try turning off Vertex Arrays from prefs.

bradpeebler
09-21-2004, 08:13 PM
Your crashes certainly sound exactly like the nvidia bug. We are hoping to have a test driver from them this week and all signs point to a public release of the driver in a few weeks. In the meantime, make sure to activate the Autosave function! :)

BP

Phil Lawson
09-21-2004, 08:17 PM
No problem...cheers for the tips Griffon and Brad. :thumbsup: The beta drivers removed the warning message, but fault still remains.
Great news on the test driver...hope all goes well.

Cheers.

Basil Peregud
09-21-2004, 08:42 PM
Turn OFF Application-controlled switch for parameters in Performance and quality settings of NVIDIA display driver.

jangell
09-21-2004, 08:54 PM
No problem...cheers for the tips Griffon and Brad. :thumbsup: The beta drivers removed the warning message, but fault still remains.
Great news on the test driver...hope all goes well.

Cheers.

The warning message checks all driver versions between and including 42.52 and 61.77, which was the latest driver available at the time. The list will be updated as newer drivers become available, but since it wasn't known which version would fix the issue, the system doesn't considered drivers above 61.77 as "bad".

So in short: it seems that the publicly available beta drivers are still broken (even though modo doesn't complain), and it'll be a bit longer before the final fix is available from NVidia.

-- Joe

may99
09-22-2004, 07:53 AM
Turn OFF Application-controlled switch for parameters in Performance and quality settings of NVIDIA display driver.
thanx for tip helped... litle bit less crashes ever since.... hope nvidia will fix this soon

Phil Lawson
09-22-2004, 11:18 AM
:thumbsup: Another great one...had no crashes last night after enabling/disabling the above options.

You guys rock!

Steve McRae
09-22-2004, 02:51 PM
There is a known memory bug that makes Modo unuseable with high poly models (500k and up).

All you have to do is cut and paste from layer to layer or open and close a file a few times and Modo will crash guaranteed.

tjnyc
09-22-2004, 03:49 PM
There is a known memory bug that makes Modo unuseable with high poly models (500k and up).

All you have to do is cut and paste from layer to layer or open and close a file a few times and Modo will crash guaranteed.
Yeah, I been having issues in this regard as well.

Cheers,

seasterling
09-22-2004, 04:43 PM
I crashed quite a few times the first day I ran modo, with a lot of random clicking going on trying to figure things out. Yesterday I ran all day without a crash, but my actions were more deliberate since I've kind of figured things out, so ... we'll see.

I'm getting some openGL errors (polys smearing across the viewport), however I think this was brought on by one of the recent OSX updates as I have started getting it in Maya as well. I get this on my G5 and my Powerbook. Both have ATI cards.

modo is cool :thumbsup:

rgwarren
09-22-2004, 05:19 PM
The memory "leak" on big models bothers me more than the NVidia issues. I've been getting by with consumer nvidia cards for all my other 3D apps so hopefully NVidia will get a clean driver that works with MODO.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.