PDA

View Full Version : Feature requests for modo

vuedesprit
09-21-2004, 02:46 PM
my impressiojn after a day of exploring MODO 1, i c that it's a good and promising application, organized and elegant, but i can't integrate it in my work pipline or replace it by my current tools.
The reason is not that it's weak, but i prefer to not work on a project using modo, with a lacking features, i prefer to wait to have the full package NEXUS+updated MODO
for me MODO need to update the following:

-antioverlapping bevel and shift
-better boolean
-text tool
-true bend deformation
-instancing (miror, clone, duplicate)
-mapping gizmo tools, like fit mapping, wrapo mapping.....
-spline deformation tool
-assign pivot to vertex (currently we can move the pivot, but not set it as a selected point)
-define the work plane by 3 point (3 point will define the plane)
-UV unwrap
-cap holes
-patch loft tools
-edges tools (combine, slice.....)

everything else can be done using scripts. i hope that these features will b part of the coming modo release.

P.S.: i just compared MODO with my LW+almost most of the plugins and scripts, i get that MODO one replace all those junk free plugins and scripts, but need to implement a missing features to b fully replacing modeler.

bradpeebler
09-21-2004, 03:42 PM
Thank you for your feedback, but I am a little confused. Many of the things you say are missing are actually in modo already. Moreover, much of what you request is also not in LWM today...

Let me review to make sure I understand correctly.

"-antioverlapping bevel and shift": Not in your current modeler either.

"-better boolean": Booleans are noted to be at least as good as your current modeler and some have said better.

"-text tool": In modo we import Illustrator files instead. Direct text tool is on our llist for future upgrades though.

"-true bend deformation": In the works!

"-instancing (miror, clone, duplicate)": Not in LWM either afaik

"-mapping gizmo tools, like fit mapping, wrapo mapping.....": More details here would be useful. UV mapping tools are a big focus for us at the moment so any feedback there would be helpful.

"-spline deformation tool": More details on exactly what you would like would be great!

"-assign pivot to vertex (currently we can move the pivot, but not set it as a selected point)": Will add to feature list. Could be done as a very simple script.

"-define the work plane by 3 point (3 point will define the plane)": You can do this already. Select the three verts and press Shift-HOME. The HOME key will align WorkPlane to the geometry element under the mouse.

"-UV unwrap": Examples of an unwrap tool you use and like? There are several UV creation options in modo. Im curious of what you are looking for specifically.

"-cap holes": Already there. Hold CTRL and click on the Edge Selection mode button. This will select Boundaries (holes). Now press P to make polys automatically from the selected edges.

"-patch loft tools": Not in LWM afaik. Have you tried the modo Patch tool? More details please.

"-edges tools (combine, slice.....)": There are many edge tools in modo. Far more than in your current modeler, if you are using LWM afaik. Please give more specifics so we can better understand what you are requesting.

Thanks!
BP

dotTom
09-21-2004, 05:26 PM
I think what's needed are some of those "Maya to modo", "XSI to modo" PDFs with common how-do-I's answered.

Perhaps someone can release some layouts that look like Maya or XSI - or maybe that's asking for trouble from pointy nosed lawyers.

tmdag
09-21-2004, 05:38 PM
It should be:

- Ability to mirror vertexes,
- working vertex tool in symmetry
- transparency and many other texture options ( I know that modo is universal, but I think that it should have transparency and other texture options like nexus will have
- there are missing "apply" buttons in few tools.. like mirror tool (I know that I can click on any view to active it, but apply tool just after numeric settings would be nice)

It would be nice to have:
- an ability to make folders in layer list
- adjustabble mouse rotation (personally i prefer inverted mouse - just like Lightwave used to have)

Para
09-21-2004, 05:50 PM
Perhaps someone can release some layouts that look like Maya or XSI - or maybe that's asking for trouble from pointy nosed lawyers.

That'd suck - just imagine the irony of it, if lawyers tried to prevent people from giving some other program-lookalike UI:s to everyone's use they would have to be spread "underground".

Okay, I'm actually laughing at myself now...bedtime for me I guess :)

Griffon
09-21-2004, 05:50 PM
-assign pivot to vertex (currently we can move the pivot, but not set it as a selected point)

I posted a script here that does this.

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?p=1591272&posted=1#post1591272

Griffon
09-21-2004, 06:02 PM
It would be nice to have:
- an ability to make folders in layer list

If you stretch the mesh list vertically, it turns into a tree view with hierarchy. You can use empty layers and containers for other meshes.

bradpeebler
09-21-2004, 06:20 PM
It should be:
- there are missing "apply" buttons in few tools.. like mirror tool (I know that I can click on any view to active it, but apply tool just after numeric settings would be nice)

Actually there are two solutions for "Apply". First, if you RMB click on the tool in the tool pipe viewport there is an option for Apply as well as one for Activate. Second, you can map the command tool.apply to any keyboard short cut. Now you can easily choose a tool and hit the key to apply it! The power of a commands driven system. :)

BP

tmdag
09-21-2004, 06:29 PM
ok, but that about symmetry and vertexes and mirror ?

bradpeebler
09-21-2004, 06:41 PM
Reporting them both as bugs. :)

BP

ChristianFischer
09-21-2004, 07:34 PM
can someone reproduce the following problem on his computer (i tried it on two pc's and a mac)?

get some kind of object which is symmetrically and turn on symmetry in x axis.
now activate the soft drag tool and move some points on the positive x axis ...
the point movement is inverted .. if you move your mouse to the left the points move to the right and vice versa ..

Leftover
09-21-2004, 08:33 PM
"-spline deformation tool": More details on exactly what you would like would be great!
Probably he means something like "deform by curve" XSI tool.
Essentially it works this way: you select geomery call that tool and pick a spline - geometry gets deformed along that spline, then you can adjust options like "axis", position on the spline, stretching along spline length and so on.... there's similar (but not that convenient) script for LW called C-Bend.

vuedesprit
09-22-2004, 12:14 AM
@ BradPeebler

hello Brad, first of all, i want to say it if it was vague, i'm the first MODO man, and i like it so much, it's amazing, and i can c it's capabilities, even with the absence of some tools, and actually i know that a lot of tools could b done by script. in the other hand, i'm not talking about a comparison btw lw and modo, finally u r the creatore of lw, and for sure u r proud by the great update that u did for it, and i always say to follow the developpers not the product.
Anyway, ther is just one think that i want to say it , that i don't agree with u, is that u said, that most of the requested r not even existing in the current LW. Yeah, i can't say , but true, but it's not the rule, i want that MODO have features that other doesn't have, it's what i'm looking for, as we r all looking for better tools that simplify our work commands.
I want to mention it again with some additions:

-antioverlapping, for most of the beveling tools (edge bevel, vertex, shift)
-the boolean is already good, it's not as LW, but far better, the only enhacement that can b done is something like power boolean, wich will not create the extra edges to connect the holes to the corners (wich will lead to some triangulations on complex shapes)
-the 2d drill, have bug in the core option, it leave the points, and remove the faces.
-Instancing, even if LW don't have this one, i was always expect that i find instance in MODO, and i hope that it will b integrated soon.
-mapping gizmo,hmmmmm......it's not UV task, it's more like the UVW mapping system in 3dMAX, or texture guide in LW, when u have this Gizmo map cage, u can on the fly, change the projection type to planar, cylindrical.....and the cage take the shape of the projection, and u can center it to the current selection, or scale to fit, or shrink.......in addition to the ability to apply deformation tools on this mapping (i hope that i'm clear in this one)
-Spline deformation tool : i just think about it, and i realized that it's not a hard task to achieve, to give a brief, it's something like the MACROFORM tool by one and only media, done in the past for LW 5.6, and then newtek implement it in the LW 7, under the name of spline guide (by the way, it was a bad implementation, the old plugin was better)
-UV unwrap, it's like the unfolding command for objects in formZ, so u can unwrap the UV , as unfolding it, in addition to let us export the UV an image file, to simplify the texturing process (instead of doing a print screen)
-cap holes, could be achieved by edge and make polygon, well , yes, but when i said cap holes, i meant something like MAX, auto cap holes, or the powerfull tool for LW, cap holes studio from Wtools, it just search the object for it's whols and fill it in a smart way.
-loft tools, for splines, by far it's the best tool i have for spline modeling,like cm_loft, ay_skincurve, loft2rail, it's like i draw splines as sections of the final shape i want, even if they don't have the same nnumber of points, fire the loft command, the result is a polygonal skin or splines cage, that automatically follw the flow.
-a thickner tool like http://www.blochi.com/gfx/thickener_en.html

AS i hope to the the follwing features in the next update as well:
-a shapes objects, like rectangle, circle, lines, stars, helix (as shape, not polygon)
-arc tool, for proper drawing (better than spline and bezier)
-the edge beveling, and vertex beveling is a good implementation, but so far, the rounder tool for LW have a lot more features, such as (mesh density, and convexity direction)
-rail bevel

That's what i have for now, and this is all for the best and to support evaluating, hope that these requests will b taken into considaration.

Thanks!

cryo
09-22-2004, 02:53 AM
can someone reproduce the following problem on his computer (i tried it on two pc's and a mac)?

the point movement is inverted .. if you move your mouse to the left the points move to the right and vice versa ..
same thing happens on my mac PB. haven't tried on my pc desktop yet. kinda strange.

kursad_pileksuz
09-22-2004, 02:59 AM
that is bug that was reported before, you can hope that it will be fixed in the next version. this happens when symmetry is active.some tools will work on right side some on left, it is annoying unfortunately.

joelaff
09-22-2004, 03:36 AM
I would love to see a better vertex rounding algorithm like the one that is now in LW8 (was Rounder plug). http://fusion.laffeycomputer.com/round.jpg

If there is omse way to achieve this in Modo please let me know. I tried vertex bevel and then edge bevel. But the look is much more angular and less chamfered.

joelaff
09-22-2004, 03:51 AM
I am not sure if this is a feature request or a bug. But I cannot see the effect of Show Falloffs when the falloff mode is set to airbrush.

This is the mode when the visual display would be MOST useful!

tayse
09-22-2004, 04:28 AM
I did not want to add another thread just for one question, so am asking here....

I see that modo is capable to change GUI very efficiently.... but there is something I was wondering and have not seen on the screen shots posted yet.... Is there any way to built your own menu, vertical menu bar or whatever you call it, as we do in LW...to clearify it, as an example....

There are some tools or modifiers that I use all the time in LW and I put their buttons together on a classical vertical LW menu bar.

Can we pick up the tools or modifiers, one by one from the windows and built just one window that has only things that we want it to have in Modo? Like...having a window with create box tool (no other primitive) next to some edge tools and vertex tools and that we pick....

I also saw that => Basic - Deform - Duplicate - Mesh Edit - ... - Curves tabs are together, can we make them as seperate windows ( I never use bezier things, so I would love to get rid of them) or as in the screen shots, they are always in group ?

This one looks different thou http://www.cgtalk.com/showpost.php?p=1586756&postcount=25 i think this one mimics LW....anyway can we change the order of the buttons, or rearrange or remove them ?

kursad_pileksuz
09-22-2004, 04:37 AM
all of you are asking and more are possible. pull down or vertical or horizantal, or pie, or flying menus, popups etc.

just look at this post,
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=171693
you can even have image views for refrence images,

modo is actually one empty window, you just fill it in, think about html tables for example

tayse
09-22-2004, 05:23 AM
The picture in the post that you pointed out does not answer my question, I checked it out but it looks like you can drag windows, put them in to different types or shapes, but you can't break the groups. Thanks anyway...

Can you post a screen shot which shows a customized window.... make a new window and add just 3 icons.... Sphere primitive, edge cut (or slice) and vertex bevel.

kursad_pileksuz
09-22-2004, 05:31 AM
that is what it is showing, that you can break the groups, all those things you see in modo are different forms. basically you can delete all those side bard upper bars windows, and put all in one floating window, and just keep full 3d view, and when you need you would call that window through a shortcut, then it would popup rightaway.
i made a simple one, because to be able to do what you want, you need to design the "form" to be able to call it in any window

you first design them in forms editor, name them, add functions basically you program every icon function there, and you name it, and you then call it in any window (floating, or fixed)

just you know, this window gorup i did is sitting on top of myu original alyout which is not shown here. so i did not delete my original, i just maximized this wondow to get screenshopt, but just think about possibilities
http://www.plecxus.com/temp/sil.jpg
http://www.plecxus.com/tem/sil.jpg

Sha_Man
09-22-2004, 07:16 AM
I would love to see a better vertex rounding algorithm like the one that is now in LW8 (was Rounder plug). http://fusion.laffeycomputer.com/round.jpg

If there is omse way to achieve this in Modo please let me know. I tried vertex bevel and then edge bevel. But the look is much more angular and less chamfered.
You can do this easily in Modo, example for a cube:
1. select the point(s) (vertice(s)) where you want to round
2. press "b" (bevel) drag the mousse. :)
3. Want more steps? Repeat number 2 (vertices are already selected)

You may want to create some presets macros for the most use configuration and assign them to a shortcut (thx to the GREAT macros system!)

To Brad or anyone from the Modo team: antioverlapping bevel ans shift is not currently implement in LightWave (I hope you are not looking after LW to implement new features!), but there is this nice tool avaibles separatly wich does it very well, Bevel++ ($30, it's cheap too) :

http://www.wagglydog.com/lw/bevelpp/

One GREAT feature of this tool is you can design complex bevel profiles (with a spline system), save them as presets and then re-apply them later. Imagine the power of this for Logo creation or mechanic modelling... And the profiles can be applied AND scaled/stretches interactively to match the new geometry!

jangell
09-22-2004, 07:30 AM
The picture in the post that you pointed out does not answer my question, I checked it out but it looks like you can drag windows, put them in to different types or shapes, but you can't break the groups. Thanks anyway...

Can you post a screen shot which shows a customized window.... make a new window and add just 3 icons.... Sphere primitive, edge cut (or slice) and vertex bevel.

Sure. Use the Form Editor to create a new form. You can drag and drop controls from other forms into the new form (using ctrl while dragging to copy instead of moving), or just add controls directly by adding commands. After you click the X column on for the form, you can go make that form visible in any Forms Viewport using the Viewport Settings submenu from the right hand popup widget next to the viewport title (it'll make sense when you look at it).

http://www.tmproductions.com/LuxPublic/Minimalist.jpg

Here's the config file section that generated that:

http://www.tmproductions.com/LuxPublic/Minimalist.cfg

-- Joe

vuedesprit
09-22-2004, 10:38 AM
again, a new feature list in missing commands:

-bridge like tool (to connect polygons)
-CO-planar polygons reduction (very usefull, and we always use it in our firm to clean the imported 3ds files)
-points reduction (as important as the above)
-snapping tools are good, but not as flexible as it should b, the better way to implement it is, to let the user have control on the snapping mode for all the available methodes when he is in any selkection mode, example:

if i'm in edge selection, i can put the geometry snapping mode to automatic, even if i'm in edge selection, i can drage the selected object, and make it snapp to the vertex, edge or polygon of the other objects.
Currently the snapping is dependent on the selection mode, so if i'm in vertex mode, using the automatic snapping mode, i can just snapp to vertex, if i'm in edge i can snap to edge.....
and this is not handy as the above workflow.

ChristianFischer
09-22-2004, 01:21 PM

that is bug that was reported before, you can hope that it will be fixed in the next version. this happens when symmetry is active.some tools will work on right side some on left, it is annoying unfortunately.

the strange thing is that it also sometimes happens in the "element move" tool.
it suddenly happens on a certain point ... then when moving this point around a while suddenly this effect is gone and everything works normal.
maybe someone at luxology could take a look at this also ...

joelaff
09-22-2004, 02:15 PM
[QUOTE=Sha_Man]You can do this easily in Modo, example for a cube:
1. select the point(s) (vertice(s)) where you want to round
2. press "b" (bevel) drag the mousse. :)
3. Want more steps? Repeat number 2 (vertices are already selected)

I am unable to produce a vertex rounding like the one in my link. (http://fusion.laffeycomputer.com.round.jpg)

I can bevel once and then twice, but after that it is not producing useable results. In other words, I can do steps 1,2,2. But if I do it again the bevel is not the same as the link. Look at how the side face of the cube in the link image are rounded.

tayse
09-22-2004, 02:41 PM
thanks jangell and kursad....

Grugi
09-22-2004, 03:45 PM
Pressure Sensitiv for wacom. Think of doing a scetchextrude with pressure sensitiv. So you may have option for size-pressure, density pressure like that. That might be great.

Possibilty to draw a scetchextrude in free space, so when you beginn to draw it will create a poly and starts extruding it (in combination with the pressure of your pen you can create a baseshape in seconds)

CoolDuck_HRO
09-22-2004, 03:59 PM
I'd like the fact that you can change to Subdiv mode (tab) in subcomponent mode (with faces highlighted for example). Now only the parts selection are converted to Subdiv. Like in LW, you have to deselect to be able to see the smoothed one.
It would be faster for the workflow is this feature is possible. Maybe make it an option that users can choose in the preferences.

In XSI I could view a smooth version even with selections on...

---

Maybe an option where you can choose how you view around your scene. I like the Maya style thingy, but the camera doesn't rotate like Maya, Max or XSI, but like Lightwave... I hope u know what I mean.

EDIT: This is POSSIBLE in MODO. Just found out. Under the little button next to viewport choice button there is an option called "trackball rotation".
Now we are talking. :)

---

A simple one:
Marquee select would also be a nice addition.

idilek
09-22-2004, 08:00 PM
http://img73.exs.cx/img73/1970/ModoLW.gif

1) LW Style Edgebevel , I dont want 3 vertices poly every where , see pic...
2) Show-Hide menus like LW3D's Alt+F2 function for a bigger quad viewports space, or Zbrush style one click show-hide left-right panels.
I know we can do this with extra UI Layout presets but I prefer Zbrush style.
3) Smooth-flat shade view for the object , Flat shade view in normal mode , when turn sub-d mode get smooth view like a LW3D's "Textured Wire" mode.
4) AlignToRails function for the "Curve Extrude" tool.

Thanks to developers .

tayse
09-22-2004, 08:21 PM
I have not had chance to use modo yet but I am with triton on this.... I use edge bevel in LW all the time and I like the way it works, but according to the image posted by triton, modo's edge bevel tool creates some unnecessary or unwanted (in my case) geometry.

c-g
09-22-2004, 08:25 PM
LW's "edge bevel" does that because it is a hack that makes you select an edge by selecting points. Since Modo's edge is a real edge you have things like that happen.

jangell
09-22-2004, 08:48 PM
1) LW Style Edgebevel , I dont want 3 vertices poly every where , see pic...

It seems that the LW edge bevel is actually beveling beyond the edge selection. You can clearly see that the triangle touching at the center of the eyes (before beveling) is being subdivided as well, while it is not in modo -- modo sticks to the actual selected edges.

What happens if you extend the modo selection to go all the way to the center of the eyes? Does it look like your LW results then?

-- Joe

TrexGreg
09-22-2004, 08:50 PM
LW's "edge bevel" does that because it is a hack that makes you select an edge by selecting points. Since Modo's edge is a real edge you have things like that happen.
Well...
I couldn't agree more with you, but nevertheless working generaly in 3D, most of the time is hacking and cheating to achive various effects....
Cheers,

isobarxx
09-22-2004, 10:40 PM
"-mapping gizmo tools, like fit mapping, wrapo mapping.....": More details here would be useful. UV mapping tools are a big focus for us at the moment so any feedback there would be helpful.

"-UV unwrap": Examples of an unwrap tool you use and like? There are several UV creation options in modo. Im curious of what you are looking for specifically.

Thanks!
BP
Move & Sew ala Maya is VERY nice. It does a pretty good job of smoothing between disparate edge lengths. Their automatic unwrapping with user selectable (eg, 6) number of projection faces works quite well too.

ambient-whisper
09-23-2004, 12:12 AM
I would like to see a Lathe that will work accordingly in all modes. it wont matter what i will have selected. a polygon, an edge...( or series of edges... or verticies...) it would lathe regardless.

also. is there a reason when using Lathe on a polygon that when having the selected polygon point outward, the entire tube is inverted? or to fix the problem i need to flip the original face? it doesnt really work to the benefit of the user. we need to flip our result after, and delete the original face. i think that kind of gets in the way.

more suggestions here :)

Morphs (http://www.cgtalk.com/showpost.php?p=1594395&postcount=4)

General Workflow things/etc (http://www.cgtalk.com/showpost.php?p=1589045&postcount=29)

Tools (http://www.cgtalk.com/showpost.php?p=1591560&postcount=56)

Levitateme
09-23-2004, 12:36 AM
Hi brad, this thread got engulfed with requests, so I hope you will be able to view my ideas with an open mind still. I realize luxology is not thousands of programmers, and you have to decide what tools are most needed. I am only posting ideas that I think truly could help modelers; I have been just reading the docs the last 4 days, no modeling yet, just learning it. So if I request something that is already in modo please lemme know. But I have these ideas.

Context sensitive menus
Similar to how wings RMB works, except you cant customize that, but something similar. Were in modo we could customize them all we want.

Smart hotkeys
I don't know if this is possible or even the right term, but lets say you press ctrl E and your face extrudes, and if you press that again for edges maybe it bevels? something like that anyway.
Smart Highlighting- Wings3d

If your cursor is over any component you get an effected color on that component showing it is ready to select. If you click your mouse button, your cursor also has an invisible radius on it, if you’re just near a vertex it will highlight for you, or an edge or face. There is no need to manually paint every component because if your component falls under your mouse’s fall off it gets highlighted, so you never have to be dead on components.

Connect- Byron Poly Tools-Maya

I asked Byron to put this in his tools, right now in his current beta. Its different from wings3d type of connect because he has a few ways of doing it. You can select edges and connect them, or you can also connect multiple component types. You could select 3 edges and 2 verts and connect them.

http://www.chemicaldust.com/critiques/Brad03.jpg

Smart Connect –Byron Poly Tools-Maya

Its still connect, but see when my connection goes around a “corner” it keeps the

Connected geometry it makes a quad still real time saver.

http://www.chemicaldust.com/critiques/Brad07.jpg

Slide- Byron Poly Tools- Maya

Byron’s slide is really nice, not only does it slide but it also has some other features.

If you select a loop of edges for exp, you could turn on slide, slide that loop or move it along its normals. You could also slide with fall off, and the fall off comes from the edges, very nice feature.

http://www.chemicaldust.com/critiques/Brad04.jpg

Solid Chamfer Bevel-Byron Poly Tools- Maya

This type of bevel is really nice, because you can keep your bevel all quads, no need to go back and then make an edge loop were you just beveled.

http://www.chemicaldust.com/critiques/Brad05.jpg

Average Vertices – Maya

Select some vertices that are in need of some kind of refinements. I poly sculpted this models face real quick to get it messed up. You can interactively adjust this tool and it kind of averages out the vertices in a way. I am not a programmer, so I can’t explain what it does, I hope the pic helps.

http://www.chemicaldust.com/critiques/Brad06.jpg

Double mouse click for edge ring.

Alt+lmb and double click an edge for an edge ring, to me makes a lot of sense. Or maybe a ctrl double lmb? Its up to you guys.

Edge and loop select between selections.

If you select edges it will select only the edges between your selections. It’s very handy when you have the connect feature. It works on edge ring and edge loops, and in modo with double clicking would make it even faster.

http://www.chemicaldust.com/critiques/Brad02.jpg

Side by side Sub d modeling
I asked a friend to make this and its also very useful. although in modo you might be able to do this somehow...im not sure how, but you model on your low res mesh and you can see it update on another window.

http://www.chemicaldust.com/critiques/Brad01.jpg

Sorry for making the post so big brad, just i use these tools all the time...err use to im not going near maya for modeling anymore. but i think they could all benifit modos users.

pumper
09-23-2004, 01:14 AM
Haloo is in mido something liek split polygon tool form maya?

if not :) please please please

kursad_pileksuz
09-23-2004, 05:19 PM
he Levitateme, nice stuff, i have not used that stuff in maya actually, i will look into it

i personally would like to see lattice ands spline deformation .
move and sew is a fundemantal tool, we need to have that ine as well. without that uv management is plain @ss, it make life easy.

minus23
09-23-2004, 07:11 PM

Didn't Luxology have screen shots of Modo on their site with Modo configured to look almost exactly like LW? Why weren't those shipped with modo? Maybe those configs could be "leaked" ? ;)

ambient-whisper
09-25-2004, 10:39 PM
more requests:). but this one is a biggie, and probably wont make it into modo because it would change a few things around in modo ( including the entire layer approach.
but im stating my suggestions here regardless. there could be one or 2 ideas that might help out.

Geometry Management.
http://www.cgtalk.com/showpost.php?p=1601341&postcount=2

@Levitateme:

isnt average the same as smooth in modo? its just like the tighten tool in mirai,wings, no?

yog
09-25-2004, 11:40 PM
Currently there is only one tool I miss , and that's a bridge tool for polygons. A large part of my work is architectural, and for the window/door openines the bridge tool is indespensible.

Renderman_XSI
09-25-2004, 11:51 PM
Someone should sticky this, instead of having 4 post that are basically wishlist.

@Levitateme, most of what you want, has been ask by many users..hope Lux listen. as for the edge ring selection i made my own suggestions here:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showpost.php?p=1598862&postcount=67

any another weird suggestion here..thought i have to agree with AW, i dont like the current layering system, too messy. Connect is a must.

http://www.cgtalk.com/showpost.php?p=1600018&postcount=77

Yeah i do miss the Bridge polygon tool also. But most importantly, i would like to create my own navigation, instead of the default LW/Maya. I rather just use my mouse to select,rotate,zoom and pan..Holding Alt to use the Lasso function. anyway, custom navigation is a MUST also.

idilek
09-26-2004, 08:49 PM
http://img35.exs.cx/img35/8578/Autocenter.jpg

idilek
09-26-2004, 08:50 PM
http://img35.exs.cx/img35/139/Curvetotube.jpg

idilek
09-26-2004, 08:52 PM
http://img20.exs.cx/img20/6223/Sub-dSmooth.jpg

idilek
09-26-2004, 08:53 PM
http://img20.exs.cx/img20/2961/wireopacity.jpg

lougandidas
09-26-2004, 09:17 PM
As per this thread: http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=172669

A tool that kills your selection, drops your current tool...everything. A universal drop tool. The equivalent to hitting escape 3 times but something where I can map it to a key by only hitting the key once. I am unable to create this with your current toolset.

I would like more reset to default buttons in many of the panels. For example, system > preferences > tool handles and play with the different sizes. If I find out that I don't like them, how do I reset to the way it was before. It would be really convenient to just hit a button, reset to default or something like that. In many places, it would be handy.

lougandidas
09-26-2004, 09:23 PM
Side by side Sub d modeling
I asked a friend to make this and its also very useful. although in modo you might be able to do this somehow...im not sure how, but you model on your low res mesh and you can see it update on another window.

http://www.chemicaldust.com/critiques/Brad01.jpg

This would be excellent too!

Levitateme
09-26-2004, 11:05 PM
@ Renderman_xsi

you bring up some really nice points. yeah MMB on a edge would be nice and faster too.

@ Triton i really like that idea too. i like modeling in flat shaded modo 95% of the time. and i also agree with anyone who says the layer system in modo needs work.

I imported a MA file from maya. and it took each file and put it on a layer i had 86 layers i think. in maya i had 3, one layer for the character, 1 for the eyes, and 1 for his clothing. the layers need reworked imo.

ambient-whisper
09-26-2004, 11:41 PM
you can drag and drop objects into groups btw. but seeing logically what is being displayed, what i can select, what is shaded, etc, could use a bit of a revamp

c-g
09-26-2004, 11:59 PM
I put wireframe opacity in the feature requests a while back. I'm glad someone else mentioned it.

SheepFactory
09-27-2004, 05:54 AM
You can add me to that list too cg. Wireframe opacity is definitely nice to have.

Mylenium
09-27-2004, 06:24 AM
Some ideas have already been stated, but here goes:

- Wireframe color on a per polygon/ edge/ layer basis
- Some ideas from Byron's Poly Tools
- Bridge tool
- Spline falloff/ constraint with adjustable influence radius per CV (kinda advanced LW Spline deform) for komplex bend and twist operations, support for multiple splines as scale and banking controllers
- Shrink wrap or ZSphere style surface creation based on oriented primitives

Mylenium

ChristianFischer
09-27-2004, 07:26 PM
configurable mousebuttons (LMB, MMB, RMB and scroll wheel up/down) working with alt, shift, ctrl and any combination of them
very important for a good workflow imho ...

regards chris

kursad_pileksuz
09-27-2004, 07:44 PM
did you check out menu editor to see if what you are looking is in there? because menu editor lets you assign many stuff to mouse and its combinations. it is under system/form editor,

ChristianFischer
09-27-2004, 07:54 PM
hi kursad.

important for me is a xsi-like navigation (i know it's not possible yet) and map things like select more/less ect. to the scrollwheel ... and alt-scrollwheel = grow/shrink selection :love:

but thanks for the hint with the form editor. :)

kursad_pileksuz
09-27-2004, 08:05 PM
i am surprised that we cannot modify navigation style in modo, only there are 2 remappings. i do use a wacom, so i try most of the stuff modifying it through wacom control panel.

spacemunky
09-27-2004, 09:37 PM
Modo needs a Maya/XSI/Max/every other app.....object mode accessable by clicking on the object as well as a duplicate and clone/instance object function

Also there needs to be a method for proxy modeling where the cage can be modeled side by side with the Sub-d.......see proxy smooth or CPS for maya

kursad_pileksuz
09-27-2004, 10:19 PM
currently you cannot do that
but you can do close similar to that one

here is a sample i did

http://server4.cgtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=59876&stc=1

Renderman_XSI
09-28-2004, 06:54 AM
- Bridge tool , for bridging edges and polygons. or even points, if need be.

- Element Move tool is nice, it would be nice to be able to hold shift to add to selection, crtl remove from selection.

- Element Rotate, for rotating elements

- Element Stretch, for scaling elements

- Display points on SubD mesh. Selecting points on SubD mesh should display the points on the mesh, and not the point floating the cage. Just as edges are current display.

- Ortho to Perspective: When your in a ortho view(top,bottom,right,etc) Once you rotate your mouse in any ortho view, you'll return into a perspective view( your rotation starts from the side your viewing from). This is abit more faster and intuitive than pressing the "." key on the numeric pad.

kursad_pileksuz
09-28-2004, 07:07 AM
you can make your own element rotate and strecth, which i have done for myself already ( modo is letting you make your own custom tools)

well whole point of element move is to be able to work on individual components quickly, in this case if you want multiple selection you need to use regular move tool, because whole point of element tool is "element" falloff, which is not going to let you choose more than one component

you can disable cages and points and just work on subd geometry with edges displayed on it or without edges. but as i said in my previous posts, modo does a wonderful job of grabbing vertices of control cage without having them displayed

- Element Move tool is nice, it would be nice to be able to hold shift to add to selection, crtl remove from selection.

- Display points on SubD mesh. Selecting points on SubD mesh should display the points on the mesh, and not the point floating the cage. Just as edges are current display.

Steve McRae
09-28-2004, 03:44 PM
it would be awesome if we could control the speed in which we can tumble, track, dolly and zoom similar to what we can do in Maya

I would also love to see wireframes with opacity as the others have mentioned . . .

=)

mbaldwin
09-28-2004, 05:09 PM
I'm just re-iterating a few suggestions(cause, hey, when I say it people REALLY listen).

-bridge tool

-expanded work plane functionality:
>have modo allow you to allign/attach specified geometry from the world coordinates to the work plane coordinates(so you can stick complicated things on other complicated things with precision).
>the ability to create top/bottom/right/left/back/front views of the work plane.

-camera objects and controls within modo. Objects: actual camera widgets so you can re-visit certain vantage points dependably. Controls: zoom/focal length/aperature height, etc. I'm hoping we'll have a successful camera mapping sollution once(or before) the other Lux component apps ship. Camera mapping has always been broken in Lightwave due to the 2 app scheme--I hope it's finally possible in Lux's products.

Steve McRae
09-28-2004, 06:24 PM
- would be great if modo would open files in the same directory that it last opened previous files in (rather than going to the last used directory) . . .

- and tried to save them in the same directory that it last saved other files in (rather than going to the last used directory)

Renderman_XSI
09-28-2004, 11:47 PM
it would be awesome if we could control the speed in which we can tumble, track, dolly and zoom similar to what we can do in Maya

I find the speed of navigation is OK, but yeah it would be nice to have this control!

- One more thing, a selection mode/option where i dont have to hold Shift to add, CRTL to deselect from my selection. When i turn this mode on, i should just focus on selecting, if i click on the same polygon again it'll select the polygon.

- Improve SubD speed, i know this is only V 1.0, but the current SubD speed on my machine is slow, It reminds me of XSI 3.0 SubD speed(around XSI 3.5/4.0 they have improve the SubD speed greatly, dont remember the version number when that happen).

kursad_pileksuz
09-29-2004, 12:08 AM
ok i am replying here so everyone can see it,
you need to understand how modo works first to eb able achieve some simple tool making

modo has a way of working called , toolpipe. with toolpipe you can mix multiple properties and make new tools. it is more like a pallette of tools
you cannot put everything in toolpipe, at least in this version, all tools will have toolpipe section but not all will be able to mix with eachother.
for example you cannot mix bevel and move, because they are seperate tools

so as far as i know here are the list of toolpipe items that are mixable
snap
falloff
transformation tools (you cannot mix rotate with move , but rotate or move will show up as toolpipe properties for example)
polygon operations
action center
etc

so if you want to make element strecth or scale
snap=none
falloff=element
transformation tool=strecth
action center=screen, or element, or automatic based on your needs

i hope it helps

- Ortho to Perspective: When your in a ortho view(top,bottom,right,etc) Once you rotate your mouse in any ortho view, you'll return into a perspective view( your rotation starts from the side your viewing from). This is abit more faster and intuitive than pressing the "." key on the numeric pad.

hyperthreeD
09-29-2004, 12:59 AM
I would like to see modo implement:

1. Flow Based ToolPipe (it would be nice smth alla-houdini) yea i know thise brakes the main concept as modo is a strightforward SubD modeller but it would be a nice addition if possible!

2. Lattice Tool (interactive lattice with realtime deformers , i would include here a bend tool , shear tool and many more additional tools that can interact directly with Lattice Tool )

3. Interactive parameters (perhaps slider-like over viewport) ive seen those handles over viewport and thats cool ! i think it would be nice if there were over while creating object E.G. primitives and other parametric objects.

these are some of requests for modo , there might be more but until i get modo i cannot ask more :) ... btw modo seems a killer tool and i would like to add it in my modelling arsenal .. we will see about that :) . Congrats Luxology Team!
(pfheww my very first post ... lol)

MallenLane
09-29-2004, 01:24 AM
It would be nice to be able to OBJ export only the visible element.

For example in Lightwave:

1.) If you hide a selection, and export, it will only export the visible portion.
2.) If you have multiple layers, it will only export the active layer

Right now in Modo it just exports everything no matter what layer you are on, or what's currently visible.

mbaldwin
09-29-2004, 02:59 AM
>the ability to create top/bottom/right/left/back/front views of the work plane.

strike that--modo already has this functionality. Or maybe lux was so quick to respond, they popped the code in there after my post!

-m.

loocas
09-29-2004, 05:50 AM
First of all: MODO is a fantastic tool definitely worth learning etc! ;)

Now, I have rather some questions than crits...

1) I still haven't found a way to reassign my mouse buttons? I'm very used to max and it's quad menus, which I love, and I'd like to get some of the customizable Pie menus...

2) Is there a command for quickly recalling the very lastly used command?

3) Can I extend edges not by pressing "Z" and then moving the selected edge? See, I'd love to have this feature as it is in max - Shif and drag the selected edges...

Thanks for this amazing tool and for possible answers... ;)

kursad_pileksuz
09-29-2004, 06:31 AM
i think an edge subdivision would be fantastic

jgrarod
09-29-2004, 09:43 AM
I think that to have a zoom window tool would be fantastic like in Lightwave. I use it very much when iīm working with orthographic views.

however, i think itīs a fantastic software to model.

idilek
09-29-2004, 01:07 PM
http://img34.exs.cx/img34/8263/Easytoolbox.gif

TrexGreg
09-29-2004, 04:08 PM
One more thing, a selection mode/option where i dont have to hold Shift to add, CRTL to deselect from my selection. When i turn this mode on, i should just focus on selecting, if i click on the same polygon again it'll select the polygon.
WHAT??? You have to hold Shift or CTRL to add / remove selections ???
Damn! After 12 years working with Lightwave's Modeler, i'll have to fry my brain out to get used to that!
Please, do a realy quick fix on that! Add the ability to alter that mode to our likes...

Best regards,

lwbob
09-29-2004, 04:56 PM
Damn! After 12 years working with Lightwave's Modeler, i'll have to fry my brain out to get used to that!
Please, do a realy quick fix on that! Add the ability to alter that mode to our likes...

Best regards,
Thats right it really sucks to have it behave like every other program when you select something. Have you ever used photoshop or even windows? They have you use shift to add to the selection. Ctrl does let you select discontinous items but you are still pressing them and not having the program read your mind.

ambient-whisper
09-29-2004, 07:07 PM
Thats right it really sucks to have it behave like every other program when you select something. Have you ever used photoshop or even windows? They have you use shift to add to the selection. Ctrl does let you select discontinous items but you are still pressing them and not having the program read your mind.
i kinda agree that having to use 2 buttons to do the job isnt the nicest solution. even though its pretty much standard doesnt mean its the best way to do things.

i like how clay does it. it takes about a few sessions to get used to it but its soo nice not to ever have to switch keys between adding/subtracting. cant say what the guy did to solve the problem. but i assure you its WAY more comfortable ;)

pabloD
09-29-2004, 07:42 PM
i kinda agree that having to use 2 buttons to do the job isnt the nicest solution. even though its pretty much standard doesnt mean its the best way to do things.

i like how clay does it. it takes about a few sessions to get used to it but its soo nice not to ever have to switch keys between adding/subtracting. cant say what the guy did to solve the problem. but i assure you its WAY more comfortable ;)
I have to say that after years of using LW i had no problem adapting to the Shift/Add Ctrl/Subtract selection mode. I only wish there was an invert selection mode like Maya has.

Still, it might be good to have an option to switch so users can use what they like most. It's not high on my list though.

I would love to have Bridge and Connect. They are pretty high on my list.

c-g
09-29-2004, 08:15 PM
I only wish there was an invert selection mode like Maya has.
What is special about the way Maya does it?

isobarxx
09-29-2004, 09:39 PM
1) I still haven't found a way to reassign my mouse buttons? I'm very used to max and it's quad menus, which I love, and I'd like to get some of the customizable Pie menus...

It would be cool if pie menus allowed more than just 8 (I think it's 8..) items per pie menu. As it is, if you have more things in your pie menu form they just don't show up.

Also, not everything works as all kinds of menus. For instance I couldn't get all of the default left-side menus (vert, edge, etc.) to work as pie menus--they prefer to function as pop-overs.

Steve McRae
09-29-2004, 09:44 PM
It would be cool if pie menus allowed more than just 8 (I think it's 8..) items per pie menu. As it is, if you have more things in your pie menu form they just don't show up.

I agree - that would be awesome - or even if the each of the either boxes had some sort of fly off menus that could be added (agg - hate to say it again - like maya)

and I would like to vote as well for more mouse configuration

visualride
09-29-2004, 09:47 PM
I like your idea on copying values from another xyz coorditate, triton (http://www.cgtalk.com/member.php?u=1792). One little idea that I would borrow from Max would be: right click on arrows to zero out the value. Also, while dragging on the arrows to change the number value, right-click to escape changing the number (also in Max). Other changes that I would make involve making the pie menus better, or more like Maya's 'marking menus'. See my post here explaining this in detail: http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=173567.

Of course I would second all the other posts in this thread (Edge slide, Byron tools, subD and poly views, ...)!

jangell
09-29-2004, 10:02 PM
I agree - that would be awesome - or even if the each of the either boxes had some sort of fly off menus that could be added (agg - hate to say it again - like maya)

Just add a form as one of the pie slices; you can have it open as a popover (default), a pie or a popup (menu).

-- Joe

loocas
09-30-2004, 01:21 AM
Well... can I have more than one active backdrop image? It seems like I have to switch from one image to another every time I change my viewport? It works fine when I have all four viewports minimizet and I just paste my ref imgs into them. But when I maximize the backdrop tool just grabs one of the images and when I change my vieport it shows only that one!!?? That SUX! So is there a way to get my references on the background withou creating any geometry and mapping it then...?

Renderman_XSI
09-30-2004, 02:22 AM
Well... can I have more than one active backdrop image? It seems like I have to switch from one image to another every time I change my viewport? It works fine when I have all four viewports minimizet and I just paste my ref imgs into them. But when I maximize the backdrop tool just grabs one of the images and when I change my vieport it shows only that one!!?? That SUX! So is there a way to get my references on the background withou creating any geometry and mapping it then...? Im having viewport problems also. I always work in a single viewport in perspective mode, and switch to ortho view with 1,2,3(Alt+1,2,3) to left,right,etc. If you put your backdrop image on the XY plane in perspective view, and switch to say a top view, the image well reorient itself to face you! Now switch back to the perspective view(.) you'll see the image is no longer laying flat on the XY plane anymore, but rather it re-oriented itself on the top plane(ZX). This is neither intutive or wanted. Its a pity you cant have seperate backdrop images for each view. If they can get that part to work more intuitively, they can also implement it to display different backdrop images base on the workplane orientation for the perspective view. So if the workplane is align to postive XY, it should display the "front" backdrop image, if its negative XY, it should display the "back" backdrop image. But this should be a option you can turn on/off in regards to it aligning multiple backdrop images in a perspective viewport. Also switching from a pespective viewport(with camera rotate option to: Oscillate) to say a top view, and jumping back to the pespective view, you lose Oscillate option, it resets back to Trackball(which i dont use much). The option should stay the same, regardless if im switching between different views.

For now, backdrop images and view switching isnt intuitve enough for me to use them, the workaround for me now is to set up multiple image planes on a its own layer.

If Lux implements Virtual Mirror, please just put it in the Symmerty button! Also about creating custom navigation, please make sure this is possible:

LMB= select/deselect

MMB(mouse wheel)=

A: click once; goes into rotation mode(LMB click to terimate rotation mode, and accept new camera oreintation),(RMB click to terminate rotation mode, and return to last camera orientation)
B: click and hold to pan
C: scroll mouse wheel up/down to zoom

RMB= context sensitive menu and or pie menu

Independent speed/sensitivety control for: pan,rotate,zoom. And last but not less, a invert mouse movement option. :D

Steve McRae
09-30-2004, 03:09 AM
Just add a form as one of the pie slices; you can have it open as a popover (default), a pie or a popup (menu).

-- Joe
joe - thanks for that - every time I try to make this work however it crashes modo - are there any settings that I need to be wary of? - I have tried popup and default . . .

cheers,

jangell
09-30-2004, 03:19 AM
joe - thanks for that - every time I try to make this work however it crashes modo - are there any settings that I need to be wary of? - I have tried popup and default . . .

Nothing I can think of. Make one of your crashers, then save the form and email it to me and I'll take a look.

Or mail me some exact repro steps and I'll try it out.

-- Joe

MasonDoran
09-30-2004, 10:02 AM

and I would like to vote as well for more mouse configuration

you can have pie menus within pie menus...but i dont know about having a sublist like in maya

MasonDoran
09-30-2004, 10:05 AM
my feature request is to have a "draw split" tool....which allows you to draw your edges in any direction and not have to contrain to a single edge at a time like the edge slice which feels a bit slow and clunky.

MasonDoran
09-30-2004, 10:21 AM
ouch....dont know if changing that makes sense to non-lw users. Especially when using the rectangle select method where it is very common to drag over already selected components when shift clicking to toggle/invert the selection and shift+ctrl to add to selection.

my gripe is that it is only possible to marquee select the ENTIRE component and not a partial one.

Steve McRae
09-30-2004, 12:18 PM
i don't think that this has been mentioned yet - and I don't know how it would be done with the existing software -

could we possibly get way to hold down a key and get a specific snapping mode activated like in Maya?

- for instance it would be awesome if I could hold down the "v" key and whatever I had selected would snap to the vertices or if I held down the 'x' key and everything would snap too the grid etc - is this possible in Modo?

chrisdz
09-30-2004, 01:34 PM
You know, I'll throw this out there... one thing I've always wanted and never seen anywhere is a live, object-driven deformation tool. Basically using the contents of one layer to interactively deform another layer in the object.

A good example would be something organic or semi-rigid, like a bow or a flower. Being able to take one loop of ribbon or flower petal or... whatever... and push it up against another component layer of the model to make it actively deform and "smoosh out of the way" would be incredibly handy. Sort of like pushing a solid object into soft clay.

It would be kind of like a soft body deformation system that doesn't have to animate anything (though even the simplest implementation of "points shove points 1-1" would be helpful).

Anyway - just a thought!

Turq
09-30-2004, 05:01 PM
Okay.. this is something I have to bring up now that I've been using the program almost non-stop for the past couple of weeks and its driving me nuts.

UNDOS!

Good lord, I have to press undo quite a bit just to undo one or two things. This is really apparent when I'm holding down a transform button (ie: move, rotate) and decide that I dont like what I have done. I would expect to hit undo only once to fix the issue, but I have to hit undo 3 times! Once to undo dropping the tool. Once to undo the transform and once to undo activating the tool. If I dont press undo the right amount of times, then I may end up screwing up my model even more than before because I'll be in a transform mode again. This is incredibly annoying.

Its great having the command history but I believe there needs to be a separate tab just for undos. Things like UI changes, picking up and dropping tools as well as a myriad of other little commands should be automatically skipped over so I dont have to press undo 20 times just to step back 5 transforms. It should be noted that modo doesnt really like for me to press undo a lot really fast. Usually after about 10 quick key presses it will crash giving an error in modus1.dll which adds to the super happy fun time.

durexlw
09-30-2004, 07:20 PM
"Shaded Cages"

Having a screenmode where the cages are shaded, would bring the advantage that we could work on a model in lowpoly mode and view the subD-output in another viewport, even without having to clone or instance it in any way.

In some way, it would make the SubD mode kinda viewport dependend.

It doesn't need extra tools, brings good functionality and I haven't seen it implemented in any other modeler yet.

Also, in the modelers I know that allow instancing, I can only work on the original, not on the instance. So say, you make an instance of a low poly and subD the instance, you would be unable to do deformations on the SubD instance.

By making it able to have shaded cages, we would be able to work simultanious at the high poly and the low poly object, just on the fly.

Great for tweeking a model or designing morphs. Certainly with two monitors hooked up.

kursad_pileksuz
10-01-2004, 04:27 AM
you can work with shaded poly cage and and subd model at the same time! only thing is that currently it does not select polygons in that mode (selects edges and vertices fine), i guess it is a method i have found, so i do not think that it is an implemented method, but rather due to the way modo works. it wont be like instancing in maya, you may find kind of limited naturally because of no poly operations. but could be cool to check out your model once in a while through that way. i do not think luxology planned symmetry to be used in that manner, but definetely it is a starter. maybe it we will loose this idea when they fix the symmetry bugs :)

i will make script of my method or explain in Cool things in Modo no one knows! forum

"Shaded Cages"

Having a screenmode where the cages are shaded, would bring the advantage that we could work on a model in lowpoly mode and view the subD-output in another viewport, even without having to clone or instance it in any way.

In some way, it would make the SubD mode kinda viewport dependend.

It doesn't need extra tools, brings good functionality and I haven't seen it implemented in any other modeler yet.

Also, in the modelers I know that allow instancing, I can only work on the original, not on the instance. So say, you make an instance of a low poly and subD the instance, you would be unable to do deformations on the SubD instance.

By making it able to have shaded cages, we would be able to work simultanious at the high poly and the low poly object, just on the fly.

Great for tweeking a model or designing morphs. Certainly with two monitors hooked up.

ChristianFischer
10-01-2004, 11:11 AM

file export for XSI including the morph maps!
adjustable "pick size" for points / "move nearest vertex" option (when in element move-mode)

Auctor
10-01-2004, 12:43 PM
hi folks...

ok, after a while of testing modo there are a few things i would like to have/changed/improved/... :)

Overall Modo is a great Tool. But the small things just make it really hard to stay with modo.

- Project Management:
Maybe i just donīt found it in Modo but if not... that is really necessary! Something like Maya (sorry, you guys maybe canīt hear the "i want it like maya". But thats the Tool i use. sorry for that.). You specify a new Project. A new Folder is created with maybe subfolders like "images (for the backplanes), files (for the saves), textures, auto save, and so on.) If i load a project, the open folder points to the files folder. If i want to put a image plane it points to the images folder and so on (of course, you can still choose another folder as well).

- The Layers are Great, but Object Mode is also a BIG' wish on my list. :) I loaded a Model of me in Modo with about 80 small objects... it is really a pain to reorganice it and put it all to different layers/group it. Mhmmm, with shift you can select more layers... is it possible to pull more layers around at once? (i select layer 30 till 60 and want to group them all to one top layer...)

- snapping: Again, maybe i just donīt found it, but what if i want to snapp all the vertex of the model around the inner corner (after deleting one half because symmetry donīt work well) and want to snap it to the x axis? in Maya i select a vertex (someone wrote somethere the singular of vertex.. mhmm... ) press x and drag it to the axis. it snaps to that axis. simple and easy. :) same for vertex to vertex snapping. in modo i select grid snapping and it will snap to a corner of the grid... not in one direction... (sorry if i just donīt found the right way...)

- symmetry: already quite often mentioned. for some people it works for me it donīt. one side always will lose the symmetry.

- slice: slice is similar to split poly. the status over the vertex (the % how far from one side) ist just GREAT. but why canīt i place points inside a poly? it supports n-gons. But why can i only split on edges and vertex?

- layout. really fancy!!! :) But the behavior of the views is sometimes strange. i have my own color setup that i have applied to the viewport. if i change it, sometimes my color schema is there sometimes not. Also i would like to change the color schema of the Main Gui.

- Scripting: Ok, i think this will change with the SDK. But just to say it once. :) A build in Reference for the commands/perl syntax would be great. Also a kind of build in editor with syntax highlighting. wohooo...

- Material library: Well, didnīt know how to name it. I create a new material, give the material a name and... mhmmm... well... save it? Would be cool if there would be a material library (kind of material management) there i can save materials in self defined groups and so on. same for textures. hey, what would be just great.

- Gui. Well, donīt played with the forms. but a littel button for minimizing the tool boxes would be great. (so there is just the name of the toolbox... or something like this)

- a button to redo last command. (ok, i can do i myself. the macro and scripting possibility is not bad. *G*)

- import silo files. (quite a lot out there use silo as stand alone modeler. but for now, import can be done with obj)

Ok, thats it for now. :) If things are already implemented and i was just to stupid to find it... donīt mind. sorry for that.

One thing ... mhmm... modo crashed quite often the last days. it is really annoying. Always with a "there was a failure in modo.exe... it has to quit" or something like that. (not sure in english.) Sometimes after 3 hours and more but sometimes also after 10 minutes. i switch quite often between the subd and the poly mode. but i think that is the point of subd. :) I work on a Laptop with ATI mobility radeon 9000, Centrino 1,6 Ghz and 512 MB ram.

mhmmm, and one thing i would like to know. I scripted in MEL and C/C++. Is it possible with the SDK to write scripts/plugins for Modo in C/C++? I know that Perl is quite easy to learn but i am so fanatic about C/C++... well... *G* you know.. everyone swaers on his secret weapon. hehe...

Ok, stay on and make Modo to the most advanced modelor out there. Till now it is maybe a candidate for it but still a lot to do i think.

But anyway, great work guys... :)

Greetings

Martin

Nemoid
10-01-2004, 03:24 PM
I had the possibility to test Modo into a friend's studio, so here i ome with some feature requests (if there are possibilities to make these tools maybe please give us some hints)

1) the element move tool, its a great tool indeed for fast manipulation, especially in perspective, but we found it becomes difficult to work only on points into a side view : example : i just made my box with a few spans and divisions, now i want to be able to move points only in side view why? because we found we often fail on putting the pointer exactly on the point, and so accidentally select the edge, and simmetry seem not to work properly. so some drag point tool or some options to work only on points in element move would be great .

2) i'd like to have a sort of sketch extrude, with the possibility to extrude multiple polys :D

a) select a bunch of polys
b) a handle appears (based on centre of selection)
c) drag extrude all the way !!

3) smooth shift has to have not only a inset handle, but also widht and height handles, like in stretch as an option some users would welcome. this enhance workflow a col thing would be to have the possibility to use other mouse buttons to fasten the workflow with this process .lets say i choosed a poly:

a) left button smooth shift apply -u will have the possibility to work with the current handles we have . working only with left button will leve the current tool as we have now (inset+ shift )
b) middle button . inset : moving the mouse will work with widht and height,plus ,handles appear widht and height for precise further manipulation.(handles works with left button)
c) right button : shift. here too the handle appears to further refine your shift with left button if u want.

this will make the tool more flexible, without aborting it, just working with mouse buttons.

4) optimize edge slice . it appears to be a bit slow and difficult to use sometimes. we can't add points in the middle of polys, and a nice feature would be to really draw edge splits, maybe also with some sort of preview, with the possibility to edit points position of it.and then simlpy hit enter to abort thr tool and make final slice.

5) better layer management : colors in them, possibility to rename and renumber multiple of them just like in raname little programs . Also, base the layer editor on photoshop's one. u can't fail!!

So far we are very happy, and i personally am planning to buy Modo very soon. with these features would be even better !!
more requests to come, though. :scream:

ChristianFischer
10-01-2004, 03:59 PM
so some drag point tool or some options to work only on points in element move would be great .you can change the mode from "automatic" to "manual" in the element move tool.
this way you can only move the elements in the activated mode.

btw... i'm using this little macro.

select.type "vertex"
select.drop "vertex"
tool.set "ElementMove" "on"
tool.attr "falloff.element" "mode" [1]
tool.attr "falloff.element" "mix" [0]
it changes to point mode ... deselects all points ... activates the move component tool ... changes to manual mode and sets the mix mode to multiply.

cheers chris

Nemoid
10-01-2004, 05:49 PM
Cool thanx we didn't notice this great option . time to explore manual setting even for other tools then. thanx
for your macro as well. the more exploring Modo the more finding how cool is and how cool could be
with some tweaks. but for a 1.0... great release!!:D

ah, just to place anther request : more options for materials: translucency, transparenciy...

er_9
10-02-2004, 02:47 PM
Hello,everybody.

I don't have Modo yet. However, I am very interested in Modo.:)
So I want to use it, and I have some suggestions to Modo.

I want Sub-d which does not become thin.

Sub-d decreases the volume of objects.
It is not good for me. So I want to control the amount of decrease.
Of course, I know that smoothscaling a control-mesh has the same effect.
However, I want not to fatten the base object.

So please give to Sub-d the parameter which can control decrease (or increase) of volume.

I think...
If polygons can have weight-map like vertices or edges,
by associating polygon-weight and decrease-amount (or increase-amount),
we will be able to control decrease of volume locally on the surface.
It should keep the continuity of a curved surface and be smoother than using edge-weight.

So please make it possible to have weight-map in polygons as well as vertices or edges.

Thank you.:)

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/7224/aboutsubd3bc.gif (http://imageshack.us)

(Edit: Changed image URL.)

-------------------------------------------
My translation skill is so little.
I 'm sorry when my text has mistakes and impolite expressions.

er_9

kursad_pileksuz
10-02-2004, 07:13 PM
you can do that even per edge based, so it has more than you want :)

Steve McRae
10-03-2004, 01:23 AM
i'd like to throw in my vote for pressure sensitivity support for wacom tablets

er_9
10-03-2004, 01:23 AM
Sir kursad_pileksuz

Oh, really? It is very nice news.:)
Modo's edge-weight is more powerful than I imagined, if that is right.
Can I expect of edge-weight the effects like this picture?

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3510/aboutsubd29ag.gif (http://imageshack.us)

Thank you.

-------------------------------------------
My translation skill is so little.
I 'm sorry when my text has mistakes and impolite expressions.

er_9

onlooker
10-03-2004, 01:42 AM
Auctor has started my 2Ē worth with his post, but needs more depth.

- slice: slice is similar to split poly. the status over the vertex (the % how far from one side) ist just GREAT. but why canīt i place points inside a poly? it supports n-gons. But why can i only split on edges and vertex?
- snapping: Again, maybe i just donīt found it, but what if i want to snapp all the vertex of the model around the inner corner (after deleting one half because symmetry donīt work well) and want to snap it to the x axis? in Maya i select a vertex (someone wrote somethere the singular of vertex.. mhmm... ) press x and drag it to the axis. it snaps to that axis. simple and easy. same for vertex to vertex snapping. in modo i select grid snapping and it will snap to a corner of the grid... not in one direction... (sorry if i just donīt found the right way...)

First was Slice:
Slice is like Split Poly yes, but it's more like the LW Knife which is just awesome. I love it just the way it is, but for a Maya user it can seem more like Poly tool incomplete. Which brings me to "pen, and slice".
Pen, and Slice are the closest to Create Poly, and Split Polygon tools in Maya. Using these tools brings us to snapping which is the second part of the quote.

(I'm going to skip some stuff, and get to it.)

If the Pen tool is intended to Create polygons point by point this tool should be able to add points, and+/or+ - snap to curves/edges/surfaces/points. Grid, and so on I think are there.

Slice/Knife, and Split Polygon are no where near each-other as tools really, but seem to do each-others jobs via LW, or Maya.

Slice/knife will slice right through a cube both sides. (I love it - great time saver in some cases)

But Split Poly (Cut) will Snap on to an edge, and draw a line on a single face - on a single side of the cube. (how many times I wished it would knife right through I can not say)
Along with Create Poly tool which will draw points/edges within a face. It's invaluable.

I think the edit poly tool shelf in Modo should include both tools, (Cut, and Slice) and have snapping options for Edge, Curve, Point and Surface -> for "Cut/Split Poly" obviously. If I forgot any let it be known.

My thinking is narrow down the distance you have to reach for these tools, and combine The Pen, and Cut. Which would be like Create Poly, and Split Poly in one tool. (but both will do)
The Pen tool could be a multipurpose poly tool that could also make cuts if the snapping features were added application wide, and cutting features were added to the pen tool via a drawn line on surface + apply or return.

If you were to draw a line across the surface of a side of a cube from edge to edge, and apply it - that Line/Edge cut could combine with the surface to become your new cut Edge. Rather than the projection cut of the Slice tool. A thought to consider.

Lastly I think the majority of these tools should be in a polygon PIE menu. :D

Nemoid
10-03-2004, 11:32 AM
Just a thought about action centers .

In our testing we really miss the Lw mouse action center mode, that allows you not to work with handles, but rather on cursor position to rotate points and polygons . cursor changes its shape indicating the current tool , too.

Hitting some button on the keyboard, for example ctrl we can also constrain the movement of items on a particular axis.( but this i found in Modo as well). However, i find this to be really fast, in fact in Lw when doing organics i quite use this mode only , maybe coupled a bit with with selection mode and despite being not exactly precise, I model faster.

Does in Modo there's something similar or a way to obtain this behaviour? if not this is another request!! :scream:

juanjgon
10-03-2004, 04:42 PM
I cant find any tool like "zoom tool" in LW Moldeler ... this is a tool to zoom into a section of viewport draging a window after click center or corner of zone you want to zoom. If modo has not this feature this is one of tools i think interesting to future releases.

leuey
10-04-2004, 05:48 AM
Just use the 'screen' action center - works exactly the same afaict. You can use the handle or just drag w/ ctrl to contrain.

-Greg

Just a thought about action centers .

In our testing we really miss the Lw mouse action center mode, that allows you not to work with handles, but rather on cursor position to rotate points and polygons . cursor changes its shape indicating the current tool , too.

Hitting some button on the keyboard, for example ctrl we can also constrain the movement of items on a particular axis.( but this i found in Modo as well). However, i find this to be really fast, in fact in Lw when doing organics i quite use this mode only , maybe coupled a bit with with selection mode and despite being not exactly precise, I model faster.

Does in Modo there's something similar or a way to obtain this behaviour? if not this is another request!! :scream:

Nemoid
10-04-2004, 10:39 AM
Thanx , Greg! will try that ! :scream:

edit :

yeah it works similar to lw : rotate planar is the way to go working in ortho tools! if we understood well, with the normal rotate you would have to use handles (slow workflow )
However, We disabled handles and activated the manual hauling and it works.:)

one thing though :

it's not Lw , but a cool thing would be to have some kinda indicator of the tool when in manual hauling : it's more visible than the current
pointer an makes u feel better because you don't have to look on the side toolbars to see if your tool is activated.

another question : is it possible to :

1) select an item ,
2) activate a tool (rotate, move etc)
make your changements

and then select other items and work
with them without dropping the tool?

gustojunk
10-05-2004, 05:44 PM
Hi All,

There is a plugin for Max that has a great feature to make splits and seams without adding complexity to the base mesh. Dave Black shows it here really well:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showpost.php?p=501443&postcount=445

I'd love to see this implemented in Modo. Along with some other ways to 'draw' seams, parting lines and gaps without affecting the base mesh.

Gustavo

PS: Still waiting for that Modo demo release :curious:

yog
10-05-2004, 06:10 PM

Best regards,
Ummm????? TrexGreg, you do realise that it's the exact same way LW works ?

Just scratch my head on what you have been doing for the last 12 years ? :D

yog
10-05-2004, 06:15 PM
another question : is it possible to :

1) select an item ,
2) activate a tool (rotate, move etc)
make your changements

and then select other items and work
with them without dropping the tool?

Yes. Say you are in the move command (W), when you want to swap, add to or delete from your selection, just hold down the W key, alter your selection, release the W key and you are still in the move command.

Werner
10-06-2004, 08:12 AM

You can add to your selection very quickly in LW by using the middle mouse button...no need for shift...very quick way to work.

loocas
10-06-2004, 08:31 AM
Ok, so here's my bit...

1) make BackDrop images more usable (any vieport can have its own independent BD image)

2) also allow users to remap their mouse buttons as they like

3) the color schemes available don't seem to be working...?? when I wanna use different colors, it just doesn't apply them.

4) more stable, keeps on crashing every now and then

5) what's wrong with the polygons when not subdivided... it seems like when vertices breach a certain angle the polygon doesn't draw in the vieport...??

6) the way a user has to show/hide vertices when working in subdivision mode is kinda strange...

So far, modo is still a hell of a soft! :thumbsup:

Nemoid
10-06-2004, 08:33 AM
Thanx yog ! actually we discovered this thing yesterday after reading another thread : the cool thing is that in this way u are able to select other polys.

I personally don't like so much having to hold the shortcut,because i use ctrl as well to constran movement into a particular axis on the fly. but we have also action centers for that, so could work fine like that too.

I think i'll get used to it : damn, when u are used to work into another way, it's difficult to change your workflow even if it's crappy. LOL!! :D

while i am here, another question :

is it possible in Modo to use the Maya navigation style, but the default Modo selection style (lasso with RMB, select with LMB like in Lw ) at the same time?

we noticed the sel style changes as well if u choose maya preset. u select with RMB and lasso with LMB.

maybe somewhere there's something to click to make modo work differently ?

If this is not possible, my suggestion would be to separate navigation style and selection style in the main properties panel, so u could decide what style u want, and maybe define others clicking on some options. that would be even waaay better. :drool:

Equinoxx
10-08-2004, 03:31 PM
There is a plugin for Max that has a great feature to make splits and seams without adding complexity to the base mesh

actually, the plugin [noways standard in max under the modifiername "Shell"] does nothin more then add thickness to the mesh.
The splits are simply done by detaching part of the mesh but leaving it in the same object hence creating open space between two edges that get rounded individually after thickness has been added by the plugin/modifier.

er_9
10-08-2004, 03:52 PM
I posted some suggestions for Modo Sub-d,
at other thread.
Those are ideas about enhanced weighting.

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?p=1624645#post1624645 (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?p=1624645#post1624645)

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?p=1627325#post1627325 (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?p=1627325#post1627325)

TrexGreg
10-08-2004, 06:38 PM

FYI...
1st: In Modeler if you have some polys selected you don't loose that selection if you accidentaly click anywere in the opengl working screen.

2nd: You can deselect some or all of that selection by left click and drag on top of it or deselect all at once by clicking anywere outside the opengl working screen.

3rd: You can add more to that selection, by middle click and drag.

4th: You can now take your sneer and return to school for LW101 lessons...

Best regards,

OpenNode
10-09-2004, 10:41 AM
In the stats window......Show a number of how many
polys your object would have if it was tripled.
" This would be handy for poly modeling for game development" .
P.S. And please do not say "do the math and times it by two".... because
we have to take endgones & polygons that have already tripled into consideration.

MasonDoran
10-09-2004, 10:54 AM
seems like it didnt take very long for the notorious flame wars in the LW forum to make it into the modo forum....

*sigh*

like there isnt enough space or something.

MasonDoran
10-09-2004, 10:57 AM
node...do you mean count Triangles/triangulation? modo should be able to handle that even if it wasnt so obvious it should be scriptable? it would be surprising if it didnt....

OpenNode
10-09-2004, 04:16 PM
node...do you mean count Triangles/triangulation? modo should be able to handle that even if it wasnt so obvious it should be scriptable? it would be surprising if it didnt ... 2byts do you think this could be done with constant feedback updates in the statistics window"That would be very cool!!!" ...
"But it wouldn't be as good if a key had to be
pressed and a box pop's up with a number in."

***Anyone got any ideas on how to make a scrip that fits into the statistics window and has the same real time attributes of the statistics window.***

"yeh know a tab in the stat's window that seid "if all your quads & endgons "were" tripled the number of tripled poly would be this # " ... "without having to triple the polys then look at the number of your tripled poly count,then undo a step to got back to a un-tripled model" If you ever worked on game models and your trying to drop the last 100 polys off a model to meet the poly count protocol of a job you'll know what im talking about.
This tool would not be used by some & but would be a must have for others.

OpenNode
10-10-2004, 02:35 AM
Hey Brad P. A long long long time ago watching one of your videos
you were using a tool called -Macroform- "Very Cool Tool"

It let you have a mesh in a background layer and in the active layer
you could have a spline that was deforming the background mesh

...and the kick ass thing about it you did not have to drop the tool!
you could do a bunch of other things then go back and select
the spline in the foreground layer/select mesh as the background
layer move a vertex on the spline and it would update
in real time deformimg mesh in the background layer.
Is Modo abel to do anything like this ?

Para
10-10-2004, 07:46 PM
I'd like to see a bit more user-friendly key shortcut editor, something like in this picture: http://www.runuo.com/krrios/kuoc/macros.png (didn't directly link the pic to prevent bandwidth stealing). The idea is that the keyboard layout shows what keys are already taken and commands etc. can be selected from a bit fancy popups and such. Actually I'd like to have an option that'd print out the current shortcut keys I've assigned for readability.

TrexGreg
10-10-2004, 08:36 PM
Actually I'd like to have an option that'd print out the current shortcut keys I've assigned for readability.I second that!!!
Cheers,

MasonDoran
10-11-2004, 11:13 AM
***Anyone got any ideas on how to make a scrip that fits into the statistics window and has the same real time attributes of the statistics window.***

as in the Maya HUD as an example....which gives all sorts of relavant information....invaluable really....such as total vert/poly/tri and total selected....and distance from camera....etc etc.

simple and elegant solution....more functionality then say having the orbit/pan/zoom tools in the viewport

crossbones
10-11-2004, 01:23 PM
BgConform from Lightwave

silvergun
10-11-2004, 05:45 PM
Not really a request for modo but more of a nexus' render engine. I nicknamed it sasquatch baker. Basically it bakes hair strands generated from a sasquatch type plugin onto a UV/Atlas map with alpha layers. So you can get an illusion of very detailed hairstyles on a simple uv.

ChristianFischer
10-16-2004, 11:17 AM
ONE duplicate command that works in point, edge and polygon mode
duplicate command in vertex mode
http://img100.exs.cx/img100/9841/1110.jpg

duplicate command in edge mode
http://img100.exs.cx/img100/5708/1112.jpg

duplicate command in edge mode at the border (works like the "extend" command)
http://img100.exs.cx/img100/2894/1113.jpg

duplicate in polygon mode (works like smooth shift with an offset of 0 and a scale of 100%)
http://img100.exs.cx/img100/4120/1114.jpg

deselect edgeloop .. currently i am able to select an edgeloop by doubleclicking on an edge .. but theres no way to deselect a specific edgeloop, so there should be a way to deselect a loop by using ctrl-doubleclick!! (SAME FOR SELECT CONNECTED - ctrl doubleclick should deselect connected polygons/points)
i am not able to select a point loop in symmetry mode .. this should also be possible IMO

Steve McRae
10-17-2004, 09:57 PM
it would be nice if the config files for modo were not placed in natively hidden directory (for windows)

cheers,

leuey
10-18-2004, 01:12 AM
Rick Click on a Layer to

*select all polygons
*select all points
*select all edges
*select all materials
*assign a new material to all polys in that layer
*assign a part name to all polys in that layer
*assign a point group to all points in that layer
*export layer as (lwo, obj, ma, etc)

it would also be neat to assign a viewport style (shaded, wire, whatever) on a per layer basis via a right-click on the Layer. Maybe have a *defualt to viewport style* as the default, and the other styles (shaded, texture, etc) as an override to the viewport's style.

I'm sure there's some more right-click type commands that can be usefull for polys already grouped in that layer.

best,

Greg

Griffon
10-18-2004, 01:20 AM
Rick Click on a Layer to

*select all polygons
*select all points
*select all edges
*select all materials
*assign a new material to all polys in that layer
*assign a part name to all polys in that layer
*assign a point group to all points in that layer
*export layer as (lwo, obj, ma, etc)

it would also be neat to assign a viewport style (shaded, wire, whatever) on a per layer basis via a right-click on the Layer. Maybe have a *defualt to viewport style* as the default, and the other styles (shaded, texture, etc) as an override to the viewport's style.

I'm sure there's some more right-click type commands that can be usefull for polys already grouped in that layer.

best,

Greg

By default, with a layer selected, all the elements in that layer are implicityly selected.
As a side effect all of the assignment options become mostly a one click operation. ie. 'm' to assign material.

Individual layer export would be good.

leuey
10-18-2004, 02:13 AM
Hi Griffon, I should have been more explicit. I know that eveything is selected when nothing is selected (that's one way of putting it). What I had in mind was working in this manner.

I have a room with the walls, floor, and all the furniture in different layers. I have all the layers shift-selected so I can see everything in it's shaded/textured mode and still have everything editable (as oppossed to having just the dresser in the foreground layer and everything else as a shaded background layer). I want to move a dresser across the room. Unless I've assigned all the polys of the dresser layer to a part (assuming they're not connected and have different surfaces - pretty typical) I can't easily select them all at the same time. It would be much easier to just right-click on a layer to select the polys, then move them. Then right click on the next layer (piece of furniture) and move it.

In essence it would be easier to shift select all the layers and right-click on layers to select the polys then switch around between foreground and shaded background layers (which still wouldn't give you the same functionality b/c only the foreground would be editable.) - a LOT less clicking too. This is a more 'object' oriented approach then the standard component oriented approach.

Or maybe a double-middle click on a poly will select ALL polys in the same layer. Something like that. In general Modo is missing a lot of opportunities for right-clicking that could be there.

best,

Greg

Same thing with the per-layer viewport shading override. That way you can have wireframe and solid shaded objects in the same viewport and have them both be editable at the same time - without having to constantly switch between foreground and backgroudn layers.

By default, with a layer selected, all the elements in that layer are implicityly selected.
As a side effect all of the assignment options become mostly a one click operation. ie. 'm' to assign material.

Individual layer export would be good.

dpartridge
10-18-2004, 06:07 AM
can i make the vertex/merge tool to work similar to Mirror/merge vertices. when using mirror tool with merge vertices active, the vertices AVERAGE merge. it would also be handy to have a activate average for merging points when using vertex/merge.

i also agree that there needs to be a way of simplifing the statistics form.its great having all this info in the stats form but most of the time i just need to find the basic info quickly. maybe a option to have a stats form the same as lightwave.

Renderman_XSI
10-19-2004, 01:51 AM
-Please fix the issue of losing symmerty when using polygons tools(i.e. Smooth Shift), or just add virtual mirror, it would solve most of my symmerty issues.

lonersam
10-19-2004, 09:30 AM
Dear all,

First off, here are the configurations of my systems:

Mac: 1 GHz Powerbook G4 12", 768mb DDR RAM, 1024x768 GeForce FX Go5200/32mb, MacOSX 10.3.5
Win: 3.2 GHz AMD Athlon64, 1024mb DDR RAM, 1920x1600 (Apple Cinema Display) and 1280x1024 on EIZO L767 with ATi 9800Pro/128mb, Win2K SP2

My version of modo is 101-9576.

Below please find a list of things I jotted down for the past week when I practice with modo. Some might be bugs, some are comments that I want to share with you all:

1) Win, Bug - I am not able to map 'eval' to Alt-F5

2) What would 'config.save' actually save? I mean, what is the file and where is the config file located which is being saved?

3) I can imagine why it is programmed to exporting the 'Layouts', 'Forms' and 'Key Mappings' separately in the command 'Export Config Fragment' ('config.export'). But would there be an option in the future that we can simply save them all in one file instead?

The check box options 'Append to File' and 'Import Resulting File' are both ambiguous to me, like which file is the file I am exporting going to be appended to? Isn't it an automatic procedure to have the 'resulting file' 'imported while it has just be exported?

4) Win/Mac Bug (?) - Refer to the point above, whenever I check the last checkbox, say for the key mappings assignments, I would always end up losing all the keys assignments and revert back to the default.

5) The 'Auto Save' protection in the 'preference layout' needs some further explanation like what is to be backed up? The modo configurations or the model instead.

6) It would be nice to be able to multiple select in the Command History viewport's History section, that I can then map those histories as one hotkey.

7) Last but not least, why modo with the lower cap?

Yours sincerely,

Charles

Chaz
10-24-2004, 09:13 PM
After using Lightwave for a couple of years, one thing I find myself missing after using modo for a few weeks is the ability to select a group of points and press 'i' to bring up the info box to change the 'x' values for all the points, or select a group of polys and change the surface in one dialog.

The Info & Statistics panel is nice, but I do think it needs a little work. It's not as dynamic as Modeler's; if I have a layer with 4,000 polygons, select a group of them and press '=' to hide unselected, the Statistics panel shows me all the polys in the layer, including those hidden.

Gwot
10-25-2004, 09:45 PM
A few of these have been mentioned but I'm adding them partly because I miss them in my workflow, and also to add to the popularity of specific requests:

1. Add "connect" functionality to the loop slice tool. Basically make it more contextual, such that if I have nothing selected, it works like it does now, requiring you to select an edge to start. Otherwise, if I have a selection of edges or polygons that form a partial loop, it connects them as soon as I fire the command, at which point the new edges are editable just like they are in the existing Loop Slice tool.

2. Rotation handle and modifier key redundancy for bevel widget/command. It would be great to be able to rotate my bevels without dropping the tool.

3. Add polygon sensitivity to the edge slice command so that edges can be carved right into polygons, not just between edges and verts.

4. More functionality to mousewheel. I'd love to see things like grow/shrink selection added to the mousewheel while in selection mode. It would be much easier to do this than hitting a separate key. Holding down SHIFT or CTRL while wheeling in select mode could also handle things like pattern selection, etc., keeping everything focused on the mouse and modifier keys rather than reaching across the keyboard to hit the arrow keys.

5. The mousewheel could be much better utilized in modo in general for lots of different functions depending on the context. More exploration into diversifying toolsets while reducing key/panel access for modifiers is needed. There is a wealth of untapped potential in 3 modifier keys and a wheel mouse.

6. I really miss being able to do target welds while in tweak mode like I can in XSI. Holding down shift while dragging or maybe MMB or RMB could perform a realtime vertex "join" command essentially. This is a very common function I use in my everyday modeling and would save me having to exit tweak mode as often to select individual verts then access the "join" command, then go back to tweaking. The same modifier key or mouse button that performs realtime joins, could also be made to perform something like a realtime edge spin or quad/tri spin if it were more contextual. These are all tweak-like functions that could really go a long way towards enhancing tweak mode beyond just being a glorified drag tool.

Again, in tweak mode, another case for mousewheel could be falloff/radius control for doing soft drag operations without the need for a separate soft drag tool. Soft drag is also a tweaking tool and could be integrated into tweak mode in general. There's really no need for it to be a separate tool.

7. I'd also love to be able to use space bar as a universal tool/selection toggle, rather than as a cycler. It's easier for me to hit the spacebar once to toggle a tool than to have to hunt that tool down on the keyboard and hold it down in order to toggle to selection mode. I know some things can be rebound (not sure if spacebar is one of them) but it would still be great to have this as an option in prefs or something.

8. More navigation types in prefs. I miss wings/mirai style navigation. Or better yet being able to make my own like in Silo.

9. Add a button and keybind (like '5') for element edit mode or replace material selection as one of the 4 default modes of selection. I'd sooner see element mode taking up my UI space along the top toolbar than the materials button, as I'd probably use it more than any of the other selection modes. Again, I'm sure some of this stuff can be bound, but it makes a lot of sense to be added as defaults or settings within prefs.

kursad_pileksuz
10-25-2004, 10:01 PM
lets make sure that there are alot of people who use graphic tablet instead of mouse. so if any of those wheel stuff would be implemented, that stuff should be optional not hardcoded.

Gwot
10-25-2004, 10:43 PM
Using a tablet is fine, but that is a tool with its own set of strengths and weaknesses. If you support tablets in your app you support them as best you can - likewise a mouse. But you don't "dumb down" an application just so that mouse users are limited simply because tablet users don't have the same mechanical benefits in their tool.

I'm all for 'options'. I'd love to see an advanced mouse users section in preferences. I certainly don't want to limit tablet users in any way. And I'm sure these suggestions wouldn't. I'm suggesting them more as a layer of extra functionality or redundancy in some cases.

In my opinion most 3d applications today are sorely underutilizing the mouse as an input device. Modo is currently no exception.

Nemoid
10-26-2004, 08:28 AM
Agree totally on this . it's a matter of options that are needed to customize better the software behaviour.

If we have tablet and mouse support, every characteristic of tablet and mouse should be configurable, and mappable. so, for example, the 3 mouse buttons should be utilized properly, as well as tablet pressure and more. there ara alot of options to consider using mouse. i personally like mousewheel for falloffs and radius of airbrush tools
RMB could be used for other things too.
I'd like to ne able to map my mouse buttons to get let's say a Maya navigation style, but a Lw selection style at the same time. It's obvious that the more options we have to customize Modo's behaviour the better it is for everyone just because the app can fit everyone needs.

another thing that i dunno if can be done, is actually have all options of a tool at our disposal,in tool properties so that someone can actually use one tool and change its properties on the fly. in this way less tools are utilized.

I believe that it's like that in Modo though , so this can be done with UI customization.in this case would be a toolset customization, just like it happens when u create new tools from tool pipe.

example : soft drag is move with radial falloff , so, to have the falloff option in move tool properties could be made, to work into another way. :)

This should be put into a sort of Modo default layout to add to the current list for an easier accessibility.

BTW there's another little thing i really miss. it's not SO important, but i miss tools indicators Lw style (no handles) i dunno why... it's a matter of habitudes hard to drop :D

kursad_pileksuz
10-26-2004, 06:17 PM
i agree most of you say , ithink that tool properties menu should have little icons next to every parameters like, keyboard,mouse and tablet, and their sub menus. so you can assign any parameter to any mouse or wacom interface, and all tools use their own sub sytems of mouse or tablet interface settings, you can change those stuff on the go or save as seperate configs.
instead of having couple of presets, best way would be let users to do what they want,

btw you can disable all the handles and pivot points. i use most of them handless (from toopipe menu)

onlooker
10-28-2004, 01:07 AM
I have another request to add to the many. (and the other one I made) I don't know if it's been mentioned.

The free floating Pivot p.o.s. If you choose the Maya interface, or whatever. That think that should be toggle-able to work like the Maya interface as default. Toggle/choose it otherwise when you need it.
If I click on an empty part of the screen I want it to deselect, and select if I click on an object. (like most apps) With the pivot not moving all over the interface. :banghead: I hate that so much. I have actually stopped learning because of it. I await an incremental interface, and tool update.

Griffon
10-28-2004, 01:15 AM
You've lost me. The pivot adjust is its own tool. If you're talking about the action center, just set it to anything other then automatic.

onlooker
10-28-2004, 02:04 AM
You've lost me. The pivot adjust is its own tool. If you're talking about the action center, just set it to anything other then automatic.

I did have it set that way by default, and otherwise it seems to work OK, but it just looked weird like I was moving the pivot point in Maya so thought it was a pain without even exploring it's true nature. The move tool handles axis point still move off of my object, but I think it may work out to be acceptable regardless.

Thanks for pointing this out. You could probably delete this all if you'd like. :)

oxicus
10-31-2004, 05:52 AM
I feel as though there should be a save incrimental feature...

Steve McRae
11-02-2004, 05:40 PM
I don't want to get rid of the existing backdrop system (although some improvements are in order; as mentioned in other posts) because it works well with LW's silly backdrop system.

but . . .

I would like a proprietary modo file format - something that would allow the saving of the backdrop's reference within the file itself (not the image; just the reference to the file).

Yes we can map our images to planes as a work-around but that defeats the purpose of having a quality backdrop system in the first place.

The way we save backdrops right now with the layouts is awkward - especially as we can not save these backdrop references to separate files. This makes opening a model a year or two later when we won't have the same config settings much more easier as we won't have to worry about setting up a new backdrop.

cheers, :)

Steve McRae
11-02-2004, 07:41 PM
this has been mentioned before but . . .

I would love to see the curve tools refined a bit -

a. a way too split a curve (into two curves) (this should be a no brainer)
b. a better way to add points to middle of a established curvec.
c. a way to smooth the joint between two separate curves (and remain separate)

Rigley
11-03-2004, 04:43 PM
I wonder if it's possible in OpenGL to have a gradient background. OK I admit, that it is not the most important request, but you know "it's the little things..." :D
Something like this would be cool: CLICK (http://www.fw.hu/dddstudio/stuff/modo.jpg) for an image.

vertex88
11-04-2004, 03:59 AM
I would like to see a little more flexibility with the lighting/shading at least as far as openGL goes in modo. Long before any rendering viewport, it would at least be nice to control the OpenGL lighting, ambient, colors, etc to some degree.

ChristianFischer
11-06-2004, 11:20 AM
i ... want ... this (http://members.chello.se/mille0/ConnectS.avi).

this feature would be sooo damn sweet !!

edit: techsmith codec

Nemoid
11-06-2004, 03:02 PM
Topology brush a la Silo !! :D

GraemeH
11-16-2004, 07:50 AM
In one of my *other* 3D apps (Vellum Cobalt) I have the ability to boolean subtract 2 complex objects, then select the cut edge (which is contiguous) and apply a bevel to round it off. It's so quick and easy! My request is for a similar functionality in modo.
Thanks,
Graeme

Activator
11-22-2004, 12:56 PM
Text import, specifically Illustrator outline file support.

Currently, it seems that you can import an ai version 8 outline file, but the "holes" in the geometry are not automatically cut out. (See Adobe Illustrator thread)

er_9
11-23-2004, 03:25 PM
Suggestions about Mesh List.

I wish these functions are implemented in the preferences-options that is one of selective styles.

1) Emphasis of Active Layers
2) Emphasis of List Partitions, 10 by 10 and End of Layers.
3) Shading to Unused Area.

4) Ideas for more quicker selection of layers.
Only 1-click layer-button without shift-key, when adding new Active Layer or dropping one of Active Layers.
Double-click layer-button when changing from layers to only 1 layer.
Double-click layer-button when toggling from only 1 layer to previous selected layers.

5) Modo has one active layer every time.
However I wish that Enable deactivation of all layers.
When all layers are deactive,
Tools affect to youngest empty layer or new layer.
It is more natural for feeling.

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/5408/meshlist024bp.gif (http://imageshack.us)

Thank you. :)

Chaz
11-24-2004, 01:08 AM
After wrangling with UVs for an evening, I would love to have the ability to select a series of edges and hit '=' to show the just selected edges. Right now when you do that, you get the points, but no lines drawn between.

Smalls
12-01-2004, 08:49 PM
I think it's gonna be a very hard thing to convince max users to convert to MODO.
i've used studio max for a couple of years.. it's robust.. i'ts stable,
MODO is a very good start, but how could anyone compare an a grown up strong man to an embryo?
luxology still have to put so much efforts on bend deformations, text tool, material editor, UV mapping tools and unwrap..instancing.. etc..
Even as a modelor, MODO still lack few things.. and need improvements..

bradpeebler
12-01-2004, 09:17 PM
Hmmm. For an "embryo"it sure is cranking out "man-sized" projects. Have a look at this:

http://www.luxology.com/article/113004_1/1.aspx

And there is a lot more where that came from.

:)

BP

allankiipli
12-02-2004, 01:10 PM
Id like to point out this: Remove black and gradient grey tones from cursor graphics. Cursor must suggest easyness and happiness!!!

Laptop
12-12-2004, 09:29 PM
... I like to see bridge tools, with features like in 3dsMax (in the midle part of this video) http://mtlstream02.discreet.com/streaming/qt/Edit_Poly_300k.mov

... and something like the Topology Brush of Silo http://www.nevercenter.com/index.php/Videos

Nemoid
12-15-2004, 10:20 AM
could seem silly,

but what about the possibility to record and view in the app things like zscripts ? i find them beautiful to learn a program.

AmbiDextrose
01-16-2005, 09:56 AM
I keep wondering why edge slide seems te be a very low priority on Luxology's list as far as additions to Modo's modeling tools- every major package supports edge sliding and it is a very useful tool in a modeler's assernal (they are not mentioned in the 102 feature list so I can't confirm if edge sliding is or isn't in the new upgrade). Anyway, here are my suggestions. Please feel free to comment:

Universal Slide Tool (Mesh Edit)
- Slide elements (vertices, edges, or polygons/faces) as constrained by Universal Constrain setting

Universal Cut Tool (Mesh Edit)
- Automatically cuts edges between starting and ending cut points
- Create cuts inside polygons
- Ability to use pen, line, plane, or shape (curve or polygon) as knifing objects
- Ability to ignore backfacing polygons
- Ability to continue cuts while rotating objects

Universal Bevel Tool (Mesh Edit)
- Combine tool to either fillet or chamfer elements (element-sensitive) or current selection
- Ability to create variable bevels

Universal Extrude Tool (Mesh Edit)
- Combine tool to extrude elements (element-sensitive) or current selection
- Extrude using normal
- Extrude using curve (background or foreground)
- Extrude using free manipulation

Offset/Shell Tool (Mesh Edit)
- Gives thickness to objects or current selection of polygons/faces
- Ability to control edge creation (filletting or chamfering of edges)

Loft Curves (Curves)
- Select arbitrary number of profile curves in order and interpolate between profile curves

Rail Extrude (Curves)
- Select arbitrary number of profile curves in order
- select one or two rail curves
- re-align profile curves along rail curve(s) and interpolate between profile curves
- if number of points on rail curves match number of profile curves, align rail curves along profile curves CVs.

Circle (Curves)
- Create a closed, circular curve

Universal Snap (Toolbar)
- Snaps elements to vertices, edges, polygons/faces, curves, CV, knots, workplane, workplane grid (background or foreground)
- Selective snapping of elements to endpoint, midpoint, near elements

Universal Constraint (Toolbar)
- Sets the current constrain to currently-selected element(s) (edges or polygons/faces only), curves, or workplane
- If nothing is currently selected, it uses the appropriate elements, or curves from the backgroung layer as the current constraint

Isoline Editing Mode
- Ability to manipulate the isocurves of an SDS mesh directly and reflect on the base mesh automatically

Lathe - move to Curves

Curve Extrude - prefer Rail Extrude

BluEgo
01-26-2005, 10:52 PM
MMMMhhhh, ok...
I haven't tryed modo so I really don't know if it satisfy my requests

1)I'd like a loop slice that add and edge loop without altering the shape of the subdivision surface. In Other words, it would be very nice if I could work like NURBS, where i put an isoparm to add detail without modifing the aspect of the surface

2) Topology Brush :D

Randle
01-28-2005, 01:39 AM
I want a save in .xsi format or integration (via plug-in) with Softimage XSI.

Anyway, I ♥ē modo.

nobrain
02-02-2005, 10:29 AM
I think it's gonna be a very hard thing to convince max users to convert to MODO.
i've used studio max for a couple of years.. it's robust.. i'ts stable,
MODO is a very good start, but how could anyone compare an a grown up strong man to an embryo?
luxology still have to put so much efforts on bend deformations, text tool, material editor, UV mapping tools and unwrap..instancing.. etc..
Even as a modelor, MODO still lack few things.. and need improvements..

I'm a max user for 5 years now. Modo cant top it when it comes to the modifier stack. the thing i cant stand in modo at all is working with splines, horrible nightmare that. u cant edit once u've set it which is bs. i do all the lathing and stuff still in max. for everything else modo is a powerful poly editor but ur right its just too far away from max to get comfortable in. I do like alot of things in modo, because its more artist intuitive, falloffs and action centers are gates of freeform modelling something hardly possible in max (that paint deformation tool is useless to be quite honest with u).
I'm really not biased towards modo or max theyre different, the guys feelin the real benefit are probably lw users.
modo is also very easy to learn. very cool that. im still wrappin my brain around the interface tho, somehow the absence of a editable modifier stack makes me feel like i should be careful to check all the options before i hit ok. i know this is less gets in ur way faster u model is good thought but i start over on alot of things b4 i finally get the model right. undos dissappear on me randomly wats that about.

kelleyperry@comcast.net
02-06-2005, 11:03 PM
I have to agree with Brad. Modo is no embryo. That Citroen add simply rocks!

imsof
02-12-2005, 07:41 PM
1. referencing (ala, sketchup)

2. text

3. measureing tools (ala, solidworks..)

4. a raytracer

5. a line tool where you can convert it to any type line such as bezier or straight and can add points and arcs/tangents and be able to append to it

6. push/pull (ala, sketchup)

7. a follow me tool (ala, sketchup)

8. the ability to draw lines/curves etc, on polygons. (ala, sketchup or rhino...)

9. to be able to add texture to objects/polygons (ala zbrush)

10. to be able to handle millions of polygons like zbrush

ETC,. ETC,. ETC,.

IN OTHER WORDS: TAKE ALL THE FEATURES OF ALL THE 3D PROGRAMS OUT THERE AND PUT THEM ALL IN ONE PROGRAM !!! MUAHAHAHA !!!

Troof
02-14-2005, 11:42 PM
Something minor.....just an edge soft bevel used for makin round edges.....

imsof
02-15-2005, 08:21 PM
wow, this forum gets better feedback from modo than the luxology site, hehe

anyway , adding zbrush stuff would be sweet . like being able to work with millions of polygons with no lag and its zscripting is a blast to use, much easier than modos macroing , plus many other features too...

and sketchup has some sweet moves too. like the follow me tool anddont say you have extrude or whatever cause te follow me tool is just easier to use . the same goes for the push/pull tool too. and the referencing is a gas to use...

like i always say , just take everything you can from any/all the 3d progs out there and you will be set..
seems like if you have to ask you are just trying to see what you can gert away without adding..........heh

imsof
02-16-2005, 09:56 PM
tools, tools and more tools.................. well tell you when to stop..................

GaryHaus
02-22-2005, 11:38 AM
It would be wonderful to have more robust layer support. Something akin to Maya's layers as opposed to or in addition to the mesh list. Certainly more robust snapping options. A more robust construction history/stack would also be wonderful. Overall Modo has been replacing most if not all of my organic modeling toolset.

Cheers,

Gary Haus

tayse
02-25-2005, 02:15 AM
I do not know if this was mentioned before or modo already has it...but this slice or connect or cut tool looks really nice and handy... you do not have to pick the edges or polys before applying the tool which is the best thing about this "paintconnect" tool. I am sure modo is already a great package but this little addition could help modelers to gain some more time...I think...

you can see the tool in action by watching teaser 2...

http://www.polyboost.com/videos.htm

dpx2001
02-28-2005, 09:06 PM
maybe something like "retain component spacing" in maya. by default the modo snap already does this, but to be able to turn it off and have components snap to the grid independently would be nice. but I still love this program more than any other modeler out there!
-Dan

Randle
03-02-2005, 09:59 PM
I very need this tools:

http://www.wtools3d.com/index.php?menu=full&strana=curve

Randle
03-02-2005, 10:07 PM
I very need this tools:

http://www.wtools3d.com/index.php?menu=full&strana=curve

mav3rick
03-03-2005, 09:30 AM
editable curve shape and polygon flow after patching. also editable patch level

CB_3D
03-31-2005, 03:48 PM
Something i saw in a ZBrush 2.2 preview video did strike me as being very usefull,for modelling AND animation deformation. The ability to build a magnetic cage out of edges to pull and deform. Itīs the video where a human head is transformed into a monkey.

Very good tool,would love it in Modo!

samel
04-22-2005, 02:59 PM
one thing that would be cool is to have a slider that, based on angularity toggles visibilty of polygons(or increas/lower opacity)...so that say 100% would equal all faces with outward normals beeing visible, opposites hidden
and 0% , all opposites visible, outward facing hidden..
and then there would need to be a threshold or bias value..
i would like this for working on say the inside of the mouth...or for any general complex folded geometry.. or if someone has a nice workflow for this, please let me know..

thanks
//s

ThePumpkinKing
05-01-2005, 10:28 PM
Okay, how about an add edge tool that lets you not only split edges, end edges in the middle of polygons, and start them again, kind of like Truespace's polygon draw tool. I know this is vague, I'll mock something up on photoshop to show you.

Chaz
05-18-2005, 11:20 AM
Right now it's tough texturing a model in Maya is very difficult as the objects come in without surfaces or layers. The ability to export surface materials or parts in modo to Maya quick selection sets would be invaluable.

Reverender
05-21-2005, 04:52 PM
I'm sure this has already been said, but a .max or a .3ds export from Modo would be nice ^_^

c-g
05-21-2005, 07:03 PM
I'm sure this has already been said, but a .max or a .3ds export from Modo would be nice ^_^

.max isn't going to happen since it is a proprietary max format. Obj is a lot better than 3ds as well. It handles more than triangles and will actually retain uv maps. 3ds barfs on both of those.

Dion Burgoyne
05-23-2005, 06:01 PM
And there is a .ASE exporter on vertexmonkey.com it's a very basic one but it will get the geometry into 3DS MAX

BurrowingDuck
06-14-2005, 06:03 AM
I'm sure you get these a lot but if I say it again it will reinforce it, right? :D

Instancing

Mouse customization

m.d.
06-19-2005, 12:33 AM
another vote for a topology brush type tool....

or the capabilities of Zbrush....

whichever is easier to incorporate:rolleyes:

noldo
06-19-2005, 06:42 AM
Hi, I love modo, i have buyed with the special offers lightwave,
but i don't understand why the subpatch weight don't affect the vertex, only the edge are affected.
In this case modo is complementary to lightwave (Obvious, i prefer edge weighting, but point weighting something would be useful)

Sorry for english.

toonafish
06-20-2005, 08:52 AM
A minor thing that might have been mentioned allready; it would be nice to have a rotation gizmo with 3 circles for every action axis ( also for Element, Screen, Auto and Local ) where you can change to X, Y or Z by just cicking on one of them so you don't have to move the mouse the Tool Properties all the time to do that, or find another element you want to rotate around if you're using Element Axis and want to rotate around another axis bacause you can only rotate around the Z axis..

I know, not very original because everyone does it that way, but that's because it works so good I suppose.

robkoni
07-04-2005, 12:59 PM
xsi ,support....would be lovely....and yes Z-Brush type tools......please

c-g
07-04-2005, 04:09 PM
A minor thing that might have been mentioned allready; it would be nice to have a rotation gizmo with 3 circles for every action axis ( also for Element, Screen, Auto and Local ) where you can change to X, Y or Z by just cicking on one of them so you don't have to move the mouse the Tool Properties all the time to do that, or find another element you want to rotate around if you're using Element Axis and want to rotate around another axis bacause you can only rotate around the Z axis...

How is this different than clicking on one of the axis rings and rotating?

Dresse
07-25-2005, 04:47 PM
if these tools allready exist, can someone please tell me where i can find them... just started with modo and missing some stuff like:

*add edges (like in lw)
*tools for selecting everyting at one side of an axis
*bridge tool like allready mentioned
*apply button in the mirror tool
*point clone plus (like in lw)

Chaz
07-25-2005, 05:14 PM
Use Edge Slice to nicely take the place of Add Edges in LW, Bridge is in the Duplicate menu. No point clone or apply tool for mirror.

Sil3
07-29-2005, 07:03 PM
New user and already a request hehehehe.

Ok i dont know if this has been asked before because i havent read the entire thread, in case it already was consider it as a "re-enforcing" request :D

When we double click on an Edge it will select the Edge Loops, great, now can we have the same in Polys and vertices?

Double clicking on Vertices and Polys will select the entire Vertices/Polys from that object, but i can do that already with a Select Connect.

Also, Double clicking on an existing selected Edge Loop should deselect it :)

Mike RB
07-29-2005, 07:27 PM
I realize this isn't the same as your request, but it may help: "l" and "alt-l" on the keyboard select loops and rings for any type of selection (in case you weren't aware). You could remap these to somthing easier to use if you use this a lot...

Mike

bsm3d
08-03-2005, 11:33 PM
Hey,

As Luxology speaking about GAMES modeling with MODO, now there is coming a solid render with I hope there is also a robust TEXTURE BAKING for game export of rendering and lowpoly model ;)

The only robust Texture baking I now is from 3ds max !

That's my only wanted request :)

Mike RB
08-04-2005, 02:07 AM
http://www.luxology.com/modo/201/features.aspx

From modo 201 feature list:

Render Baking

Convert complex texturing setups into color image maps
Convert micropolygon displaced meshes into normal maps
Bake advanced lighting options directly into image maps
Mike

bsm3d
08-04-2005, 09:50 AM
Fantastic ! :beer:

ThePumpkinKing
08-05-2005, 04:57 PM
Okay, here's an easy one to implement. In Softimage XSI, if you are in a 3d viewport, and you click in between the space of two modifiers, then it only activates those two modifiers, I.E. If you click in between X and Y modifer, it will only translate the selected components on the X and Y axis. This may seem small, but it is a huge time saver.

Also, does modo have an equivalant to Softimage's Sticky Keys? If they don't, it would be great if they implemented them.

depleteD
08-18-2005, 07:54 PM
I would liek to have the ability to paint on multiple channels like body paint, i can select a brush, color, brush color values for each channel or combo of chanels and with 1 stroke it paints different things on the selected channels simultaneously.

I think this would make textureing reallllly fast.

You guys prolly got this already.
-Andrew

tgraupmann
08-19-2005, 03:25 PM
Does Modo have a mirror instance tool? I think you could increase your subdivisions if half the model could be instanced out.

tgraupmann
08-19-2005, 03:27 PM
Threre is a network project called Verse (http://www.blender.org/modules/verse/) that is trying to connect everything to a network pipeline. It instantly displays what you are working on from Blender to Maya and back again in realtime. It could be extended for Modo 201. So you could be animating in Maya and make some Modo geometry changes on another computer and it would instantly update in Maya.

Going further, the reverse could be true. You could animate in Modo and watch the tracks appear in Maya.

Yeah I know Modo 301 will have animation, but it would be great to have more than 1 user working on a scene together. That was my idea behind TagCMA (http://www.tagcma.com).

This is definitely a feature for Nexus to concentrate on. It goes along with the "Play nice with others" philosophy. And the collaboration concept needs to bake a little more. It's still a novel idea. And Nexus could evolve this idea.

StephanD
08-19-2005, 03:34 PM
Also, does modo have an equivalant to Softimage's Sticky Keys? If they don't, it would be great if they implemented them.

It's not the exact same thing but yeah,if you hold a tool's hotkey,it will use it as long as you hold it then go back to Selection,as opposed to XSI in which it goes back to the last used tool.

tgraupmann
08-19-2005, 04:08 PM
Small fix. I noticed when I rotate with the alt key in perspective mode (.), and stop dragging with the mouse it keeps spinning. It's a cool feature to spin the model. But if the mouse wasn't moving then don't spin.

tgraupmann
08-23-2005, 03:32 PM
DOH. Left click don't spin. Right click spin. Easy as that.

greyface
09-04-2005, 01:06 PM
Okay, here's an easy one to implement. In Softimage XSI, if you are in a 3d viewport, and you click in between the space of two modifiers, then it only activates those two modifiers, I.E. If you click in between X and Y modifer, it will only translate the selected components on the X and Y axis. This may seem small, but it is a huge time saver.

Totally agree about the Axis things, it's very useful, I was going to suggest that.

Here are a few other things I suggest:

1. Quick tool for target welding vertices, like in XSI or 3dsmax. Essential.

2. Ability to show polygon backfaces as a viewport setting. This would help a lot.

3. Maya navigation, but with raycast on LMB.

4. Snapping while hovering over components in Edge slice mode or similar tools.

5. Being able to see the Fall-off size at all times if wanted. This is especially for the T tool. Somewhat similar to painting in photoshop, you see a circle which is your brush size, and it should also show at which angle you are going to paint. Perfect example is the M tool with Proportional modeling, in XSI.

pymodo
09-05-2005, 02:49 AM
my two suggestions:

python scripting
possibility to set a smoothing angle per edge instead of per material -> important for low poly models

seneca
09-05-2005, 02:12 PM
my two suggestions:

python scripting
possibility to set a smoothing angle per edge instead of per material -> important for low poly models

out of curiosity, is there a really good reason why a couple people are asking for python scripting? Is it faster or can it somehow do more? Or is it just that nobody wants to bother learning perl? (which i could definitely understand..)

ThePumpkinKing
09-06-2005, 07:23 AM

Okay, it seems Modo 201 has both of these things. However, it really would be nice if instead of the sticky keys deselcting the current tool, that they would reselect it when you let go of it.

Also a "Select newest created geometry" command. This would work like if I beveld a sqaure, and pressed Deselect, then ran the command, it would select the four polygons created by the bevel. I.E. it would select the newest geometry created. I figure it would be pretty useful for Macro recording.

depleteD
09-06-2005, 03:47 PM
Is modo 201 rendering going to be hardware accelerated?

If its not, I request it as a feature.

StephanD
09-08-2005, 12:14 PM
Okay, it seems Modo 201 has both of these things. However, it really would be nice if instead of the sticky keys deselcting the current tool, that they would reselect it when you let go of it.

Haven't made an official request thread out there but I remember asking for it.

I'd prefer to keep it as it is and have the option,with a hotkey,to switch the behavior and make it keep the last used tool,that way you could easily go back in a 'Sticky Selections' or 'Sticky Tools' mode.

Edit:oh,and it's in 102 also :)

ThePumpkinKing
09-08-2005, 10:22 PM
Haven't made an official request thread out there but I remember asking for it.

I'd prefer to keep it as it is and have the option,with a hotkey,to switch the behavior and make it keep the last used tool,that way you could easily go back in a 'Sticky Selections' or 'Sticky Tools' mode.

Edit:oh,and it's in 102 also :)

What's in 102?

pymodo
09-10-2005, 06:53 AM
out of curiosity, is there a really good reason why a couple people are asking for python scripting? Is it faster or can it somehow do more? Or is it just that nobody wants to bother learning perl? (which i could definitely understand..)

python is a much nicer language than perl and also lua! :)

...and if i understand modo's scripting integration correctly (but i only used the eval version so far) it wouldn't be much effort for luxology to also support python. wrapping those lx functions should be a piece of cake.

djcorea
12-03-2005, 03:56 PM
Today I started modeling a car rim, and I figured out that with a little tool things would be much easier...

I'd like a tool that organises selected points in a circle... example, I started modelling my rim from the outer part, and it finishes in a hexagon kinda manner in the center, but I want that to be a perfect circle. I can always do it with making a cylinder in the center and then connecting the haxagon end in the center to the cylinder, but it would be much nicer if I could just do it with a tool, without making any extra geometry in order to align everything. Same goes with screws on the rim and the geometry that has to be around them (obviously circular)... I just want to select points and give them a little correction so they form a circle. And in cases when I have a lot of points that aaalmost form a circle, it's a pain to adjust things manually. This tool would even make my workflow different and a lot faster... in some cases.

Maybe this tool could have different options... axis selection, or maybe an option of making an average circle in space (not fixed to a strict x, y or z), and tweaking that...

What do others think about it?

eXpaintz
12-03-2005, 04:35 PM
Hi, this looks like the tool You are describing -----------> http://www.vertexmonkey.com/modeling_scripts_edit.php

it`s called "PerfectCircle"
hope I was some help

cheers

djcorea
12-03-2005, 07:24 PM
Oh yes, this is looking cool! I oversaw this script while I was browsing the vertexmonkey before... anyway, it would still be cool if this tool/script would be in the standard Modo toolset, at least in some shady pull down menu in the Vertex tab... anyway, tnx again eXplaintz!

mcewan7
12-04-2005, 12:21 AM
djcorea, don't forget you can add that script to the menu just like you described. Play around in Form Editor (F3).

smoluck
02-15-2006, 03:33 PM
I all , I've started to learn Modo. And as you know that Modo as no nurbs types tool. The EdgeBridge tool give me sometimes good result, sometimes not..

so here a link of my bridge tool concept who can take effect from the Polygon shared by the 2 edges selection and take advantage of there normal direction to create fine tunned forms..

As you can see on that image I put over the wireframe of what I would like to do .. and what the bridge tool do for me.. hu hu ...to bad controls.

http://skeeter.mot.free.fr/cgtalkupload/Modo/NewBridgeTool.gif

so give me your comment if you planned to create that type of tool or if you get an advice.

here the link of Luxology forum post: http://forums.luxology.com/discussion/topic.aspx?id=5345

bradenbickle
05-14-2006, 09:07 PM
I think it would be cool to have a .MDD importer/exporter and a batch renderer type thingy for rendering out animation in 201.

Right now it's going to come out with a single frame renderer, but let's say you could scrub through an MDD file or set of files and render that frame out. Then, add on some sort of automater/batch processor that will auto advance and render frames.

If we came up with something similar to this, the renderer could be used to render animations instead of only rendering stills only.

For examples of a good MDD importer/exporter look at Mark Wilson's "Point Oven Pro" plugin.

Libor
07-12-2006, 08:58 AM
Definetely missing export options like in ZBrush - axis flipping, scaling multiplier etc for various formats.

Now Ive got a big headache with scaling of models which doesnt match its inputs...

P.S: I dindt go through the whole thread so If someone already wrote it then excuse me:scream:

andrespalma
09-03-2006, 06:56 PM
Hello, new user here so if these tools are already in Modo 202 I apologize for asking for them. I come from a Maya/XSI background and there have been a few tools I'm missing, particularly from the XSI front:

- Lattice deformation: I really can't believe Modo doesn't have this, if it's actually there could someone please point it out to me?

- Relax tool: this is one of my favorite XSI tools, it always feels like magic when I use it. It's similar to the Smooth tool but I find it much more useful. It softens the selected vertices but it generally manages to keep the general silhouette and volume of whatever is selected. The smooth option usually flattens the surface which then needs additional tweaking to get it back to a nice round shape.

- A vertex merging tool a la Tweak tool in XSI (which lets you merge vertices simply by snapping one to the other in the viewport screen)

- I'm also quoting Christian Fischer who said he would want this tool (http://members.chello.se/mille0/ConnectS.avi). I couldn't agree more. That tool would seriously rock IMO.

- On a final note, there is one more thing that I might find use for but might be problematic for many since it's not so much of a tool as a workflow issue: I've noticed that, while most of the tools are live while the tool is selected, there is no such thing as a history stack that might let me revisit those parameters once that tool is dropped. Implementing something like that might mean a huge drop in performance, but it could also be tremendously useful.

All in all the program rocks, and I'm definetely sticking with it, I just miss some features I'd become accustomed to.

behindfaces
09-06-2006, 11:36 AM
hi all ,

first i was working with modo but for some reasons i got tired for things i do not know :argh:

so what iam trying to say is iam less than bignner :rolleyes:

so what lightwave has to do with modo ?

and i really need helping hands about the modlling in modo thanks :thumbsup:

Nemoid
09-06-2006, 09:59 PM
1 Modo shares with Lw something in its workflow - for example when nothing is selected , all is selected way of working with geometry, and the concept of using and dropping tools, and things like endomorph, and more. but all these things are like what Lw offers but on steroids, and into a more integrated environment.
Modo creators are the same of original Lw.
Now , Newtek has a brand new team to develop Lw further.

@andrespalma as for tools :

i dunno about lattice deformation usefulness in terms of only modelling. but however :
maybe it will be introduced when animation will be added. plus, even if i didn't try that, i've seen time ago a vid showing some kind of geometry parenting allowing deformation of the child object. incidentally i never saw that vid again, so maybe it was something you'll have to setup in some way.

as a suggestion : try soft move tool. its nifty, even if it doesn't gives you a cage to manipulate. its more brush like deforming tool :)

smooth tool : u can combine it with airbrush falloff, so that you can paint it.(you can combine every tool with whatever falloff ) u can also regulate its strenght and iterations into a more subtle way , so that it should be way more manageable as a tool to fix your meshes. sorry if i missed the point with your suggestions.

connect : try the polygon slice tool. (alt +c) you can select as an option to slice only what you selected so that you could slice only an area instead of a complete poly loop.
however : i do like the connect workflow too. it could be a great add on.

totally agree about history. Modo seriously needs a construction history.

ambient-whisper
09-06-2006, 11:56 PM
- On a final note, there is one more thing that I might find use for but might be problematic for many since it's not so much of a tool as a workflow issue: I've noticed that, while most of the tools are live while the tool is selected, there is no such thing as a history stack that might let me revisit those parameters once that tool is dropped. Implementing something like that might mean a huge drop in performance, but it could also be tremendously useful.

it actually wouldnt drop performance THAT much if its added in properly. xsi doesnt slow down that quickly and that option is there. it usually takes about 20-30 minutes of constant adding of operations before its slow. so every 30 minutes, freezing a model once, thats not so bad. plus toward the end of the modelling process you are mainly making tweaks to the surface anyway, and thats a minor hit, compared to bevel operations and what not.

i just cant believe that modo doesnt have this in there. well, ive gotten used to it now and dont mind it much, but when it was first released, and being advertized as a "next gen" modeller, without history. almost seemed like an inside joke, where a patch would be released. its definitely gotten a lot better since 101, but i still believe its got too many of lightwaves short commings in there.

Nemoid
09-07-2006, 09:25 AM
totally agree about that.
Modo is better than Lw modeler and adds painting, rendering preview, rendering engine, and baking. but even if its better than what Lw offers in these areas, is not so far from it to be highly innovative, both in its philosophy and workflow.

Also, Lw + f prime beats in speed Modo and Iview, and so, for common tasks you get better feedback there.

I hope that, since as time passes Modo gets better and better, Lux will add things like history, a nodal shading syetem, and naturally great CA tools. the current modelling tools will surely improve too, and maybe new ones will be added.

I think its more a question of time and Modo becoming a mature app.

andrespalma
09-10-2006, 07:03 PM
Hello!

Thanks for the very thoughtful answers Nemoid and Ambient-Whisper.
I hope I didn't come off as if I'm bashing the app, I really love it. I just miss some of my tools from previous software I'd worked with.

@Nemoid:

- Lattice deformation has been a huge time saver in terms of modelling in my experience. I like the soft move tool a lot. In fact, generally speaking, the sheer range of falloff options available to Modo puts to shame most apps I've worked with in that regard. I do however think a lattice deformer would be great for general reshaping. Maybe it's just me though.

- The smooth tool is pretty nifty, and I generally use it with the airbrush falloff set to mutiply which has given me rather nice results, but it still doesn't even come close to XSI's Relax tool IMO. It's hard to explain the difference between them unless you actually use them (I hunted down some vids at softimage's website but couldn't find any). The results with the relax tool are flawless nearly all the time. I wish I knew more about the way it acheives them so I could explain better the process involved.

- About the slice tool: that tool is wonderful and I could never do without, but it was my understanding from watching the vid that this new tool would place the resulting edge loop not smack down in the middle of the polygon but instead make it follow the curve that would result from subdividing the object. I'm not sure if that's the way it works, but it would be terrific for organic modeling, where adding an edge loop usually means having to go back and push those edges allong their normals to make them confrom to the curvature of the mesh instead of flattening that specific area.

@Ambient-Whisper:

Hey, I recognize you from Tweak! It's nice running into you here as well. Thank you for pointing out to me that a construction history wouldn't bog down Modo. That's good news to hear and I really hope they incorporate it into a new release. It would be definite plus for me.

Nemoid
09-11-2006, 01:33 PM
Hello!

Thanks for the very thoughtful answers Nemoid and Ambient-Whisper.
I hope I didn't come off as if I'm bashing the app, I really love it. I just miss some of my tools from previous software I'd worked with.

@Nemoid:

- Lattice deformation has been a huge time saver in terms of modelling in my experience. I like the soft move tool a lot. In fact, generally speaking, the sheer range of falloff options available to Modo puts to shame most apps I've worked with in that regard. I do however think a lattice deformer would be great for general reshaping. Maybe it's just me though.

- The smooth tool is pretty nifty, and I generally use it with the airbrush falloff set to mutiply which has given me rather nice results, but it still doesn't even come close to XSI's Relax tool IMO. It's hard to explain the difference between them unless you actually use them (I hunted down some vids at softimage's website but couldn't find any). The results with the relax tool are flawless nearly all the time. I wish I knew more about the way it acheives them so I could explain better the process involved.

- About the slice tool: that tool is wonderful and I could never do without, but it was my understanding from watching the vid that this new tool would place the resulting edge loop not smack down in the middle of the polygon but instead make it follow the curve that would result from subdividing the object. I'm not sure if that's the way it works, but it would be terrific for organic modeling, where adding an edge loop usually means having to go back and push those edges allong their normals to make them confrom to the curvature of the mesh instead of flattening that specific area.

thanx for elaborating andrespalma
about slicing,
with loop slice tool (alt+c) you can slice only selected polygons and not only In the middle, but you can decide the number of slices it does, if they're uniform or free, place em where you want.

as for following the curve the shape would have once subdivided you don't have that, basically because subpatches aren't nurbs and an edgeloop is not like an isoparm unfortunately. what you're actually cutting is a loop of polygons 8you can see this activating the cage when working in subpatch or toggling from subpatch to polygons and vice versa)

instead , when slicing in Modo you can set depth amount (which is kinda an innovation compared to lightwave 3d bandsaw tool) so that ou can get something similar to what you ask for, but not the same. :(

it surely would be nifty to have such a feature tho.

jacobo3d
06-08-2007, 07:54 AM
modo (as well as many other 3D apps, like Lightwave, 3dsMax, XSI...) seems to have some problems to import OBJs files with n-gons.
Here's the same OBJ file imported in modo and then in C4D, wich imports OBJs perfectly.

http://www.jacobobarreiro.com/stuff/moi/CHASIS_ngons_modo.jpg

http://www.jacobobarreiro.com/stuff/moi/CHASIS_ngons_C4D.jpg

Thanks!

3dj
06-08-2007, 01:21 PM
modo (as well as many other 3D apps, like Lightwave, 3dsMax, XSI...) seems to have some problems to import OBJs files with n-gons.
Here's the same OBJ file imported in modo and then in C4D, wich imports OBJs perfectly.

http://www.jacobobarreiro.com/stuff/moi/CHASIS_ngons_modo.jpg

http://www.jacobobarreiro.com/stuff/moi/CHASIS_ngons_C4D.jpg

Thanks!
Hmmm ... I find C4D to be greatly lacking with obj support. I usually have better luck with any other app, that was until the new RipTide plugin was updated, now it is perfect in C4d.

-Jim

jacobo3d
06-08-2007, 03:51 PM
Blender seems to do it pretty well too. It's a shame I'm having problems to export to LWO (Phyton error messages)... I'll keep trying.
--EDIT: it reads the n-gons OBJ ok, and it's shown in the viewport with no problems, but
it seems to triangulate everything to do that... so...--
modo is supposed to be the "...most advanced polygonal and subdivision surface 3D modeling environment available". It should import OBJs correctly, I guess... :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Phil Lawson
06-09-2007, 12:00 PM
Does it render like that? If not, go into preferences then opengl and disable VBO. That should stop that happening.

jacobo3d
06-09-2007, 07:27 PM
Does it render like that? If not, go into preferences then opengl and disable VBO. That should stop that happening.

Hi,

Unfortunately it renders like that. It's not an OpenGL problem, it's just modo seems to have some problems importing OBJs. It seems like it doesn't triangulate internally complex n-gons properly. If you reduce the n-gons size, it gets better, but still gives some problems.
Another thing is, it's like it doesn't read the normals smoothig information from the OBJ.

It would be great if one of the new 301 features was a better OBJ importer, like Maya or Cinema 4D have.

Thanks!

habernir
07-21-2007, 05:03 PM
if you add animation engine, why not dynamics engine ?

pd
07-21-2007, 05:16 PM
Because that's a completely different story.

UMG
04-17-2008, 01:51 AM
Wings had this great way of handling material presets. New materials could be imported as a part of a seperate scene and would appear in the scene graph where they cold be applied b right clicking.

It would be good to see somehting like this in modo.

MrBrick
09-11-2008, 08:28 PM
Whoa!

Huge thread here....

Some great posts and suggestions for features.

I recently switched over to modo and im loving it! I've never picked up a 3D program so quickly and Im loving its power and ease of use and I know I've only scratched the surface.

Off the top of my head here are a few things that I think Modo should have more of:

1. RIGGING!

It be cool to see some FK/IK and stuff like that for character modelers. But I would also love to see some rigging tools designed specifically for motion graphics artists. The morph targets already work pretty good for some basic things. I would love to see some mograph features. I feel that is a slightly untapped market in the 3D biz (of coarse i have been out of it for awhile).
By mograph rigging features I would love to see easy set up for stuff like growing objects (vines, trees) and flourishes.
But like I said I am new to modo so some functions for stuff like that might already be there and I just havent found them yet.

2. PARTICLES/DYNAMICS

:D

those 2 things would make me 2x happy with modo and would also mean we could move away from the lightwave/max combo we use at the studio here and go 100% modo.

mrreynolds
10-12-2008, 11:35 AM
Somebody please could tell me where can i find Modo movies about Action Centers, which can be found at
C:/Program Files/Luxology/modo 302/help/pages/video/ActionCenters/ActionCenters-01.mp4
etc but i don't have any..

tingham
10-13-2008, 01:06 AM
Hey gang, checkout:

http://moderator.appspot.com/#e%253Dagltb2RlcmF0b3JyDQsSBlNlcmllcxjvXww

habernir
12-11-2008, 12:47 PM
LINUX SUPPORT!!!

brianod
12-11-2008, 06:01 PM
IK / FK rigging and movement for true bipedal animation.

Particles and physics (especially gravity).

Nodal based materials editor.

Those are the big three for me.

Doug816
12-11-2008, 10:30 PM
LINUX SUPPORT!!!

The three linux users that showed an interest wasn't offestting the work it takes to support it. This is a dead horse.

HiTekJeff
04-07-2009, 11:39 AM
I would LOVE to see a simple import feature built-in for importing Daz/Poser figures inside Modo. Something that just points to a ".pz3" scene or character and will place it in, adjust materials, size etc. all with ease. Personally, I use the Daz characters because I do hi-res renders and those figures have tons of clothing, hair and such.

The other feature I would like is the ability to fully pose the figures and use the "morph dials" channels just like in Poser but with Modo too. That way I can setup the seen fully inside Modo without having to pose them first or use a program like Poser. All the work could be done in Modo.

Thanks.

antiart
06-27-2009, 07:08 AM
'Click through' option applied to all component modes: Right now, when toggling between vertex, edge, and polygon mode, tools get dropped.

Being able to select two component modes: I think mixing and matching component modes would be a good idea. Sometimes, I would want to select only vertices and polygons, but not edges.

TimeActor
01-17-2012, 04:32 PM
Hello,
i would like to see the following function in the paint tab:
Strokeīs follow normals in correct angle when i use image ink to reduce texture stretching/distortion

Ciuccio
01-29-2012, 12:17 PM
mmm... Stability and no more messy mesh... the rest can wait.

TimeActor
01-29-2012, 02:44 PM
Yes i agree! Stability is very important!
Also iīd like to see Disneyīs PTex like 3D Coat.

bellsoffreedom
09-18-2012, 04:29 PM
Yes i agree! Stability is very important!
Also iīd like to see Disneyīs PTex like 3D Coat.

Good call. Yeah, Ptex would be awesome.