PDA

View Full Version : modo and wacom

Br1
09-21-2004, 10:21 AM
any of you have tested modo with a Wacom tablet, I wonder how it works... Does the app have some special wacom feature or is it more mouse-clicker oriented ?

pensart
09-21-2004, 10:32 AM
hi there,

it works with a wocom, u just need to define the input type in your preferences if u want to work with a mouse or a wacom.

Balusilustalu
09-21-2004, 11:34 AM
Pensart,

is pressure sensitivity supported when using Airbrush fall-off with any of the tools? I'm thinking Maya Artisan Poly sculpt here...

Cheers!

kursad_pileksuz
09-21-2004, 06:52 PM
i think i can answer your question
i use modo and maya with my wacom heavily. i love the feeling of wacom in modo. it works really neat, especially if you define couple of extras through wacom control panel.
unfortunately currently it does not support wacom pressure semnsitivity. but i personally put feature request in the bug database before. so we can hope that it will be available soon via patch. because there are so great tools like falloffs and sculpt tools, it currently feels really nice, but it would plain rock if we had pressure sensitivity.
also you can change your wacom remapping to maya if you like maya style. but i am hoping that users will be able define our own wacom mappings, because seems like couple of things cannot done through wacom control panel and needs internal refinement.i am hoping that a new version of wacom mapping will be available in modo, like selection style from modo, navigation style from maya.currently there are modo and maya styles

Balusilustalu
09-21-2004, 09:12 PM
Hi kursad_pileksuz,

thanks for taking the time to elaborate on this. Too bad to hear there's no pressure sensitivity, however I'm sure that it's on Luxology's to-do list.

Cheers!

kursad_pileksuz
09-22-2004, 02:02 AM
well keep asking, that is how we will get whatever needed :)

raptor|3D
01-29-2005, 03:49 PM
Hi

I just wonder what kind of wacom tablet do you recommend? What size? Is tablet with 2 buttons enough? I think only intuos has 3 buttons, right? Which tablet do you use for modeling?
Thanks for suggestions...

Steve McRae
01-30-2005, 04:02 AM
i use a 6x8 with 1600x1200 - I would not mind if it were a bit larger - the 9x12 one

stick with the intuos line - they just released the intuos 3 . . .

Daniel
01-30-2005, 05:41 PM
"Is tablet with 2 buttons enough? I think only intuos has 3 buttons"

What do you mean? The buttons on the Pen or the Buttons on the Tablet? The Intuos3 comes with a couple of extra Buttons an the Pad. If I remember right threre are 5 on each side and also a little Pad called "touch strip" (one on each side) , like the pads you know from notebooks. They are very usefull for lets say increase your brushsize in photoshop or to zoom in, I don't know if it works in MODO too. You have to try. About the tablet size, a DIN A5 or a DIN A4 should be okay. I use a heavy DIN A3 at home, but thats far to heavy ;) I still use a mouse for modeling.
Oh yeah, the "old" intuos (series 1 and 2) and Ultra Pads have a small buttons row on the top of the tablet, but you need the Pen to use this buttons. So you are maybe faster if you use a keyboard for shortcuts.

just my two cent.

raptor|3D
01-30-2005, 07:30 PM
"Is tablet with 2 buttons enough? I think only intuos has 3 buttons"

What do you mean? The buttons on the Pen or the Buttons on the Tablet? The Intuos3 comes with a couple of extra Buttons an the Pad. If I remember right threre are 5 on each side and also a little Pad called "touch strip" (one on each side) , like the pads you know from notebooks. They are very usefull for lets say increase your brushsize in photoshop or to zoom in, I don't know if it works in MODO too. You have to try. About the tablet size, a DIN A5 or a DIN A4 should be okay. I use a heavy DIN A3 at home, but thats far to heavy ;) I still use a mouse for modeling.
Oh yeah, the "old" intuos (series 1 and 2) and Ultra Pads have a small buttons row on the top of the tablet, but you need the Pen to use this buttons. So you are maybe faster if you use a keyboard for shortcuts.

just my two cent.

I mean buttons on the pen. I think only intuos 3 has 3 buttons on the pen, but maybe Im wrong. Since modo has switch for tablet I guess its supported well. But I dont know if e.g. wacom graphire A5 or A6 with 2 buttons on the pen would be enough for modelling. Yes, your right...A3 is too large for 3D.
Im just trying Lightwave demo and tablet works fine (I have the cheapest Genius :)) so I guess that modo is similar in that.
So do you think 2 buttons on the pen are enough? I hope so because even intuos 3 A6 is too expensive.

Steve McRae
01-30-2005, 07:42 PM
I have been using the intuos (first version) for about 5 years now and it rocks

you can use it like a 3 button mouse

- touch pen to tablet = left mouse click
- forward button toggle = middle mouse click
- backward button toggle = right mouse click

you can configure it other ways, but that works great for me

While I still have a mouse plugged in, I usually use my wacom for everything. They are well built, and the drivers are great.

Matariki
01-30-2005, 09:24 PM
I have used the Intuos 2 (9x12) now for a while and it works great. I wouldn't go back to an ordinary mouse. However, I usually use the 5 button mouse for modeling (I mapped the 5 buttons to often used actions) and the pen usually for doing detail work for textures or displacements in ZBrush. I guess couldn't work without that tablet anymore...

Daniel
01-31-2005, 09:48 AM
the pen has 2 buttons, if you count the tip and eraser on the back as buttons, you have 4.
The Graphire, Intuos and even the old ultra Pen have the same ammount of buttons.

I realy would like to see how somebody works with a Tablet only! Is it realy faster?
Everbody I know works with the mouse, and use the pad only for Photoshop/2d works. hmmm

Steve McRae
01-31-2005, 12:32 PM
imo - i would not really count the eraser - It's a real workflow breaker when you have to change your grip to use it.

I usually don't use the pen for entering values into a spreadsheet - it gets awkward when you have to constantly put it down to type

the pen will feel strange when you first start using it to do something like browse the web. With the people that I have trained on it, I have recomended that the just start out by using it for their paint progy, and then move up to everything else when they feel more confident.

CGTalk Moderation
01-31-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.