PDA

View Full Version : Whats there, Whats not

TiSOy
09-21-2004, 04:30 AM
For those people who are making a big leap towards XSI that are interested to know whats included in XSI foundation and whats not........http://www.softimage.com/products/Xsi/v4/comparison/default.asp

pnoland
09-21-2004, 12:39 PM
Cool, thanks for posting that...I was curious to know what I was/wasn't getting compared to the other two versions. Luckily the modeling features not in foundations I can do easily with Silo...and the other features not included are over my head for now so I'm going to be happy as soon as some money is cleared and I make my order. ;)

TiSOy
09-21-2004, 11:58 PM
Im making a jump towards XSI too,,,but Im still trying to convince my self aswell that it has every modeling or more than what I was using or something similar...I like the rendering power of xsi, thats one of the reason too why Im switching..........Just wondering,,,,,Does XSI foundation have a point to point modeling,,,,,I mean like u just create a point then another point and connect it togeter to create a poligon?,,,Just wondering,,,,,Coz Im a point to point modeler,,,dont know why but I feel comfortable that way............

titaniumdave
09-22-2004, 12:09 AM
Does XSI foundation have a point to point modeling?

Do you mean where you can draw out the polygon? Like click one point then click another then another and create a triangle? If so, yes. Goto Modify, poly. mesh, add/edit polygon tool.

TiSOy
09-22-2004, 06:58 AM
Yes,,,something like that......In LW,,,,U can create a point by just pressing + key then place it on ur workspace, then after creating a series of points I can just select them and create a poligon from there,,,,,Is that the same as in XSI foundation? or Similar?

Klowno
09-22-2004, 09:27 AM
U can compare the add polygon tool to lightwaves "pen" tool. Although with the pen
tool u just draw polygons, in xsi it also adds polygons into the mesh.

Klowno
09-22-2004, 10:17 AM
Let's try to illustrate the situation :)

In lightwave:
http://www.jaxxat.com/images/xsi/lightwave_add_points.jpg

In xsi:

http://www.jaxxat.com/images/xsi/xsi_create_polygon_tool.jpg

This is as much as I know about xsi, I am still pretty(very) new to it.
If u do a search this same question has been answered couple of times before,
one suggestion I remember was that if u wanted to do it the lightwave way
u could create nulls representing points and then when creating polygons with
"create polygon tool" u could snap them to the nulls wich would work if u needed
to do it that way.

CraigT
09-22-2004, 02:29 PM
I spent a lot of years using LW but I prefer creating polygons using XSI. I think using the "n" tool to create a polygon gives me a better feel in how the polygon is going to look as I'm creating it. Another alternative is to use one of the draw curve modes and then just do a "Curve to Mesh" on it to create a polygon. Actually I really like this mode when I need curved polygons. I always liked LW's modeling but I much prefer XSI's now.

Craig

TiSOy
09-22-2004, 11:40 PM
THanks guys,,,,,,,I will buy the XSI foundation and give it a spin......

preludian
09-23-2004, 12:05 PM
... I always liked LW's modeling but I much prefer XSI's now.

Craig
Same for me, I can't imagine anything I couldn't do with XSI 4.0. Once you get used to it you will probably not want to go back anymore. It's simply a modern and very effective application.

sebek27
09-23-2004, 02:59 PM
create poly tool looks great ! texturing/surfacing in XSI still scares me a lot ! looks very complicated.. do the DVD's that come with XSI teach you about texturing/surfacing ? maybe a DVD just on mental ray would be good..

deanbutton
09-23-2004, 04:34 PM
sebek27. There's plenty of info about texturing on the Dvds. There's video's of texture projections. Polygon texturing, uv datasets, multiple projections and camera mapping. Then they go into the texture editor. With a head texturing (unwrapping) there also a body vid.

There's two rendering dvds. The first is rendering theory. It goes into, anti-aliasing, motion blur, normal map etc. It explains more behind the scenes, what going on. The other dvd, shows you. Render tree basics, Render tree techniques, graident shader effects, filtering and bump mapping. Then there's Lighting, Final Gathering, Render passes explained and render passes in use. Haven't watch these last to properly, so this is just a list.

Hope this give you some info, you want...

Good luck, D.

Stoehr
09-23-2004, 04:34 PM
I'm staring at the Model Comparison Overview, and I don't know what "Floating Interactive XSI Seat" means. Could someone explain it?

titaniumdave
09-23-2004, 04:59 PM
I'm staring at the Model Comparison Overview, and I don't know what "Floating Interactive XSI Seat" means. Could someone explain it?
The license is in the dongle, with foundation you just have a serial number. This means that foundation can only work on one computer. The other versions will work on any computer with the dongle on it.

Ablefish
09-23-2004, 05:03 PM
With floating licenses you can have XSI installed on however many machines you want, all pointing to a single license server. Licenses are only used when someone sits down and starts up the package. And if you have both essential and advanced licenses, you can use whichever one you need without having to go to a specific box.

jaredL
09-23-2004, 05:49 PM
... This means that foundation can only work on one computer....
?? that means if I install it on my notebook ( which I use for travelling) , I can't install it on my desktop at home??

preludian
09-23-2004, 07:05 PM
?? Why not, you don't get a dongle anymore, only a serial number. Haven't read the license yet, but as long as you only USE it on ONE computer it should be ok, as you would do it when it would have been dongled.

Why is it that everybody has to look for some kind of hooks, just buy the soft and you surely won't regret it, there won't be any better deal.

markdc
09-23-2004, 07:15 PM
?? that means if I install it on my notebook ( which I use for travelling) , I can't install it on my desktop at home??

The license key is not locked to your hardware.

Klowno
09-23-2004, 09:45 PM
Acording to the license agreement u are not allowed to install the program
on more than one computer at the same time.

But for me personally I don't care bout it, I don't need to work on more than one computer but I understand people wanting to have it installed on their laptop and desktop.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.