PDA

View Full Version : linux port = crazy talk?

MrPG
09-21-2004, 03:27 AM
greets gents, looks promising. Just curious if its even crossed the minds of the great people at luxology to grace the unix world with this tool?

nuclearfessel
09-21-2004, 03:32 AM
greets gents, looks promising. Just curious if its even crossed the minds of the great people at luxology to grace the unix world with this tool?
take a gander at this thread:
http://cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=170880

Beamtracer
09-21-2004, 04:28 AM
Just curious if its even crossed the minds of the great people at luxology to grace the unix world with this tool?Luxology did embrace the UNIX world. Mac OS X is pure bred UNIX.

One reason some movie houses switch to UNIX is because it's easier to port existing applications from their legacy computers (SGI etc) to another flavor of UNIX, ie Linux or OS X. It's more difficult for them to go Windows.

futuretheory
09-21-2004, 06:16 AM

Just because it needs to be said again... Dude, Mac OS X is Unix and it runs better there than on Windows. Furthermore, Linux IS NOT (unless of course you think you're SCO).

However, yeah a linux version would be cool.

MrPG
09-21-2004, 08:45 PM
i'm school of thought that i wont be locked into apple-hardware and spend a few grand to run an aapp thats currently selling for $600.

my systems runs perfectly for what i need, and what didn't run perfectly... well i bent it until it did. NOt to start flame wars :) but in my case maintaining a "current hot" pc runnig linux compared to keeping a mac rig moderm and current is way more cost effective going the linux+pc route.

now ofcourse to studio savings and keeping something close to bleeding edge probably doesn't matter as much... if it isn't broken dont fix it.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.