PDA

View Full Version : A question, a comment, and a WIP.

eldee
09-21-2004, 02:01 AM
firstly, here's my WIP guy:

http://www.forced-evolution.com/cgImages/hopkins.jpg
To me, he sorta looks like anthony hopkins (just a coincidence.. i'm not a freakish fanboy :love: ), so i've been calling him 'hannibal'.
at any rate, i was wondering how most of you guys go about modeling the eyelids. i'm not satisfied with mine, and after looking at some of the head models on pixologic's site, i'm even less impressed with them. This is my first zbrush model (that wasnt just screwing around learning the interface), so i'm fairly pleased with the speed and ease at which i can work with zbrush.. the model in it's current phase has taken me about 4 hours thus far.

also- i'm planning on taking my mesh over to Maya 6 to animate. does anybody have any suggestions for texturing the model? i dont want to spend alot of time in zbrush getting textures and materials just right if it's going to look like crap in maya (which seems to be the general concensus on the zbrush boards). so any help there is greatly appreciated.

and lastly: does anybody else besides me have problems with zbrush 2 crashing when working with extremely detailed models? The head i'm working on (WIP render below) tends to crash zbrush if i'm picking it up after using projection master.. but only if a material is applied. so no big deal, i think i may have found a workaround for THAT, but it's also been crashing when i'm in projection master if i do some heavy brush strokes around the eyes (something about an overflow, then it crashes). anyway..

thanks for your time.

eldee
09-21-2004, 10:09 PM
wow.. 46 views, 0 replies. :eek:
okay okay, too much stuff in one post.

well then let's just narrow it down to the bit about the preferred texture workflow- should i bother wasting my time doing the textures in zbrush2 if i plan on exporting the model to maya for rendering? i'll be needing to create a specmap, diffuse map (for sub surface scattering), etc.. so unless there's an easy way to dileneate that in zbrush i dont see any other options :shrug:

celmar
09-21-2004, 10:25 PM
Hi eldee.. nice head, and nice start!... well, I don't have Maya, and I'm unable to say anything about it... but I daily model and texture in Z2 with projection master, creating very easily textures on my model, and export curently in rhino, or carrara... none of these softs have sub scaterring, but on the other side, the textures arrive nicely in carrara, for example... once again, without any experiment of mayaž... so...

aminuts
09-23-2004, 06:47 AM
You might want to check out the sticky post on optimizing zbrush for your system....that should help with your crash problem I think.

eldee
09-23-2004, 01:48 PM
You might want to check out the sticky post on optimizing zbrush for your system....that should help with your crash problem I think.
my system is pretty well optimized.. im using the tips that were posted in that thread. The problem i'm having now is that when i try to load the ZTL tool of that same WIP mesh i posted above, zbrush crashes. luckily i have a seperate savefile of the mesh before i started using projection master, and that one loads fine.

would deleting some lower subdivision levels help? my ztl file is over 120 megs... i just dont see why it would only crash after i use projection master

aminuts
09-23-2004, 03:21 PM
I don't know why it would crash after PM either but here is a tip for you...

when saving ztl with subd levels......save it while lowest is visible...ie subd 1
the file will be much smaller and you won't be loading your system instantly by loading up the highest subd level first.

eldee
09-23-2004, 04:35 PM
wouldnt i lose alot of finer details in my mesh if i do that though? im still new to zbrush, and i guess my understanding on the 'adaptive mesh' thing is still hazy.. i just assumed that when you saved a file with 8 subdivisions, it saved 8 copies of the mesh (in different resolutions of course) in the ZTL file. if this is correct, then saving the mesh at the bottom layer would lose all of the detail in the upper levels, right?

aminuts
09-24-2004, 05:35 AM
Hi

I save all my models at lowest....and as far as I can tell....no detail is lost at all.

Grant you I have a dinosaur of a computer that can't push more than 1.5 million polys so can't swear that higher up along the food chain it doesn't lose detail....but I should think not.

All your levels are still there when you reopen it.

Test it out by opening up your tool...save it at lowest and rename it. then reload it and go up in levels and see for yourself!!

JHarford
09-27-2004, 10:53 AM
Not bad for early z work .
The anatomy is flawed heavily. The sides of the mouths do not abruptly end and drag down and the proportions are all off.
I suggest you fix these things before worrying about detail and spece maps etc. you will be happier in the long run.
Again , good start , but go back a few levels and get the face proportions right, and look in more detail at the structure of the face from photos and breakdowns etc.
Jd

eldee
09-27-2004, 04:10 PM
Not bad for early z work .
The anatomy is flawed heavily. The sides of the mouths do not abruptly end and drag down and the proportions are all off.
I suggest you fix these things before worrying about detail and spece maps etc. you will be happier in the long run.
Again , good start , but go back a few levels and get the face proportions right, and look in more detail at the structure of the face from photos and breakdowns etc.
Jd
yeah, i find it hard to get proportions correct since zbrush doesnt allow you to import image planes like other modeling packages. i've seen some methods for using a texture on a background, but then you have to be very careful not to scale your mesh (and sometimes you need to do just that to get into the finer details...)

not to mention zbrush crashes every 5 minutes for me. i've had to re-do my projection details 5 times because the ztl file i've saved will work fine, then when i make some adjustments and save again, the file will crash zbrush every time. not sure if that makes any sense or not.. i just woke up. zbrush is a nifty toy and maybe even a good detail-modeling tool (if you can keep it from crashing every 5 seconds), but i'm slowly coming to the realization that it's a fairly unintuitive modeling tool.

eldee
09-27-2004, 05:24 PM
in fact here's what i see at least 2 or 3 times every time i try to use zbrush:

http://www.forced-evolution.com/cgImages/crash.jpg

:scream::eek::buttrock::rolleyes::shrug::argh::banghead::banghead::cry::surprised

Mahlikus
09-28-2004, 04:13 AM
Here is one way. (http://206.145.80.239/zbc/showthread.php?t=003712)
Its an old way but it works. =)
Another is to use PM to place objects and modeling over spheres placem in the head and use the blur brush with ZAdd on only to blend the objects. Just make sure that the model has enough rez to support the transfer of detail.

Good Luck and Happy Zbrushing! :thumbsup:

Mahlikus
09-28-2004, 04:44 AM
oop...double post.

aminuts
09-28-2004, 05:54 AM
You might wanna test your hardware and memory. I haven't heard of anyone else crashing so much (not that it hasn't happened...i just have read about it yet) but it looks like it's trying to reference something that is damaged or not there. I am not a computer expert by anymeans but if I got that error I would check my memory and size of my memory blocks etc etc. I don't know if you have done any of that yet.....and it looks like Aurick hasn't seen the same message over at zbc yet to maybe help ya out on that one but if it's a similar message even with different models or stages of modelling......I would look to my hardware first given the nature of the message.

That's not to say it isn't a programming error somewhere but til I heard from Aurick or Pixologic I would start at my end anyways......

have you sent an explanation and this error message to Pixologic support? You might get a faster response that way as well?

Micro26
09-28-2004, 08:09 AM
So far it looks really good. :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.