PDA

View Full Version : Missing Tools/Tools that don't work optimally.

MallenLane
09-20-2004, 10:17 PM
Just wanting to start a thread for people who have Modo to express opinions on missing tools that really should be in there, or current tools that don't quite function correctly.

Missing:

1.) Vertex/Edge(EdgeLoop capable) Slide (see Wings or Silo)

2.) Virtual(Instance) Mirror functionality (see Wings or Mirai) - although the symmetry keeps better than LW, sometimes the Virtual Mirror approach would just be faster/easier.

3.) Edge Connect (see Wings/Mirai or Silo)

4.) Flatten (see Wings or Mirai; Silo implementation kinda weak)

Poor Function:

1.) Edge Slice - doesn't work on the iso lines (sometimes won't even really snap to cage edges either) so its like stabbing in the dark to get the cut to stick to the next edge. Its also extremely slow to slide the resultant point.

Phil Lawson
09-20-2004, 10:54 PM
Text create tool. Pick a font and then extrude. :) Maybe its there...I just couldnt find it in the manual. :)

Renderman_XSI
09-20-2004, 11:19 PM
4.) Flatten (see Wings or Mirai; Silo implementation kinda weak)

No flatten tool? :S i use that all the time to fix my mesh. Flatten is a must ,as you dont want to check and vert position, and manually apply it other verts you want to flatten.

I haven't used Silo, but wings flatten command(X,Y,Z only?), you dont get alot of flatten options as you do in Mirai. In Mirai you can flatten, any selection to any vertices in X,Y,Z cooridinates on that vert. You can even flatten on, a 3 point perspective(selecting 4 vertices). plus many other flattening options i dont even use ;). With insane options like this, selecting them thru a property page, or a popover menu is not something you want to do. I think Mirai does it best, with its menu system , once you pick flatten , it well destroy that menu and overlay the next menu(in this case the flatten options) right at the same spot as the last menu. This is the fastest way to surf thru context sensitive menus bar none. Im sure it can be done with Modo pie menus in this same manner, but i prefer a context menu..its just faster, without the eye candy of the piemenu.

SheepFactory
09-20-2004, 11:22 PM
Flatten can easily be created with macro recording and put in as a shelf item or shortcut. its basicly scaling down to 0 in a given axis. before jumping the gun know about the softwares capabilities ;)

i do agree with slide , connect and VM.

MallenLane
09-20-2004, 11:24 PM
Actually Sheep I mean more flatten on normal/vector etc like Wings.

edit: Actually Looking at it you can scale along selection normal, or choose an element normal; albeit with a touch more process involved. So I guess scratch flatten. ^^

Renderman_XSI
09-20-2004, 11:25 PM
Flatten can easily be created with macro recording and put in as a shelf item or shortcut. its basicly scaling down to 0 in a given axis. before jumping the gun know about the softwares capabilities ;)

i do agree with slide , connect and VM.
try reading my post again ;) ..and try flattening on a custom plane as you can do in Mirai ;) flatten base on a edge or polygon. those are important as well.

nuclearfessel
09-20-2004, 11:25 PM
No flatten tool? :S i use that all the time to fix my mesh. Flatten is a must ,as you dont want to check and vert position, and manually apply it other verts you want to flatten.

I haven't used Silo, but wings flatten command(X,Y,Z only?), you dont get alot of flatten options as you do in Mirai. In Mirai you can flatten, any selection to any vertices in X,Y,Z cooridinates on that vert. You can even flatten on, a 3 point perspective(selecting 4 vertices). plus many other flattening options i dont even use ;). With insane options like this, selecting them thru a property page, or a popover menu is not something you want to do. I think Mirai does it best, with its menu system , once you pick flatten , it well destroy that menu and overlay the next menu(in this case the flatten options) right at the same spot as the last menu. This is the fastest way to surf thru context sensitive menus bar none. Im sure it can be done with Modo pie menus in this same manner, but i prefer a context menu..its just faster, without the eye candy of the piemenu.
hmmm coming from a LW stand point as a user and knowing that the Lux crew are the old LW dev team, there has to be a Set Value command in Modo similar to LW which basically allows you to numerically set the value of a vertex/polygon

rwijaya
09-20-2004, 11:29 PM
guys, i haven't use modo yet. But its there any sculpting tools ability like in maya artisant or zbrush inside it ? i believe that would be a great plus, if there is none isnide modo.

cos in maya i use artisant almost 50 percent on my modeling worlflow.

draz
09-20-2004, 11:41 PM
Bridge polys. If it's in here, what name does it go by?

tjnyc
09-20-2004, 11:44 PM
Just wanting to start a thread for people who have Modo to express opinions on missing tools that really should be in there, or current tools that don't quite function correctly.

Missing:

1.) Vertex/Edge(EdgeLoop capable) Slide (see Wings or Silo)

2.) Virtual(Instance) Mirror functionality (see Wings or Mirai) - although the symmetry keeps better than LW, sometimes the Virtual Mirror approach would just be faster/easier.

3.) Edge Connect (see Wings/Mirai or Silo)

Poor Function:

1.) Edge Slice - doesn't work on the iso lines (sometimes won't even really snap to cage edges either) so its like stabbing in the dark to get the cut to stick to the next edge. Its also extremely slow to slide the resultant point.
Yeah, I have to agree here, these basic tools are important to my workflow, and I haven't found a good alternative in Modo.

Another thing that is missing and should be in Modo is smart highlighting like in Mirai and C4D R9. It would make tweaking a hellalot easier since it is currently a shot in the dark if you selected the correct element.

A visual feedback of the falloff selection is a must as well.

Cheers,

kursad_pileksuz
09-20-2004, 11:45 PM
that is where you need "workplane" if you align your work plane to selection, you can kinda get custom plane based on average selection normal.when you align your work plane, scale or any other tool will work on new plane angles as they would be assuming that they are working on world coordinates

kursad_pileksuz
09-20-2004, 11:49 PM
i was just explaining to ambient whisper that , visual feedback of falloffs are possible. all you need to run weightpaint tool with any fall of type you want. so instead of using radial fall off by itself you will have another radial fall off that would be mix of radial fall off and vertex weightpaint. and if you are in vertex map shade view you can see it happens in real time when you play with radial fall handle. and if then you can use that with vertexmap fall of later

My Fault
09-20-2004, 11:49 PM
A visual feedback of the falloff selection is a must as well.
From IRC, "you can turn on the the "Show Falloffs" tool to colour the vertices influence."

Griffon
09-20-2004, 11:50 PM
see my comment on visual falloffs in the sticky tips section

tjnyc
09-20-2004, 11:55 PM
From IRC, "you can turn on the the "Show Falloffs" tool to colour the vertices influence."
Cool. Thanks. Is smart highlighting something I can turn on somewhere as well?

Cheers,

Griffon
09-20-2004, 11:57 PM
Not currently.

kursad_pileksuz
09-21-2004, 12:00 AM
hey my way of showing falloffs was not that bad too !!! :)

richcz3
09-21-2004, 12:52 AM
guys, i haven't use modo yet. But its there any sculpting tools ability like in maya artisant or zbrush inside it ? i believe that would be a great plus, if there is none isnide modo.

cos in maya i use artisant almost 50 percent on my modeling worlflow.I'm echoing what rwijaya is asking. Any sculpting tools?

TIA

richcz3

Dion Burgoyne
09-21-2004, 12:57 AM
That's a difficult question, as those products even work differently than each other... Modo has the ability to push/pull geometry in a very sculpting way. Every falloff works with just about every tool, so you can airbrush on geometry, allowing you to paint polys, bevels, extrudes etc... onto your mesh. However it is all in the poly/subdivision world, so there aren't any displacement style painting tools yet. Our mesh edits are from the model level currently.

tmdag
09-21-2004, 01:16 AM
modo has VERY poor texture options, (even no transparancy) ;[

Dion Burgoyne
09-21-2004, 01:24 AM
Actually, modo has everything that it can show... As every rendering program has its own way of dealing with transparencies, reflections, etc.. We decided to have modo only list the settings that work across all exported platforms, so instead of guessing what your render will look like, we allow you to edit what modo can show in real time in the openGL viewport.

tmdag
09-21-2004, 01:44 AM
Mouse sensitivity and "invert mouse" should be editabble
UI is not so fully editabble, or I do not know hot to set it up (I want to set Lightwave's-like TOP menu (basic, deform, duplicate ...) to cooperate with right menu BUT: I'm unabble to spin this vertical bar (basic, deform etc) to top's horisontal view, and remove it from right menu).

kursad_pileksuz
09-21-2004, 01:44 AM
modo has very similar to what artisan is, but also modo has airbrush or screen fall off which you can attach to most of the stuff, you you can use rotation and airbrush as an sculpting tool if you wish, which i do sometimes

kursad_pileksuz
09-21-2004, 01:47 AM
i think you just do not know it yet, because basically you can delete right and left and call them from top. from thumb (little dot on the left top of any window) if you do rightclick, you will see there are delete clone etc. just choose delete if you want to remove the window . all those windows are saved forms, so if you delete it from one place you can call it somewhere else

tmdag
09-21-2004, 01:51 AM
Actually, modo has everything that it can show... As every rendering program has its own way of dealing with transparencies, reflections, etc.. We decided to have modo only list the settings that work across all exported platforms, so instead of guessing what your render will look like, we allow you to edit what modo can show in real time in the openGL viewport.

I understand, but as I know, You're working on Animation tool and renderer. So when it's done, then you will add more features into texturing ?

tmdag
09-21-2004, 01:53 AM
i think you just do not know it yet, because basically you can delete right and left and call them from top. from thumb (little dot on the left top of any window) if you do rightclick, you will see there are delete clone etc. just choose delete if you want to remove the window . all those windows are saved forms, so if you delete it from one place you can call it somewhere else

No no no, I do not want to delete WHOLE window but onlu that vertical list (basic, deform, duplicate etc) and move (ONLY that list) to the top

bradpeebler
09-21-2004, 01:55 AM
(I want to set Lightwave's-like TOP menu (basic, deform, duplicate ...) to cooperate with right menu BUT: I'm unabble to spin this vertical bar (basic, deform etc) to top's horisontal view, and remove it from right menu).

You need to create a separate form that uses the Vertical Toolbar layout. The buttons you would create are in a separate viewport so they would be macros that would set the contents of the ToolBar viewport to the appropriate form. I know it can be done because one of our testers sent us a screen shot of the very same thing.

But now that I think about it, why would you want to move the tabs further away from the toolbar? Seems to degrade workflow really. That's my opinion of course. ;) The point is you can do what you want to do.

B

tmdag
09-21-2004, 02:04 AM
I have worked with Lightwave for some years, I like that set ;]

What about bones ?

Do you have plans to add more export formats? (eg. ASE, 3ds etc)

It should be some "todo" list or somethin ;] I would have less questions ;]

And one more thing, are You palnning to add smooth groups?

kursad_pileksuz
09-21-2004, 02:46 AM
like the one in maya? smoothing angle for edges? i think that is a must too

tmdag
09-21-2004, 03:09 AM
like that in MAX - each polygon can have different smoothing in one material.

Other thing: Each "visited" layers have white dot, empty, visited layers have it too, and not empty layers have it too, it's little bit confusing if you want to know witch layers are empty. Empty layers should loose that white dot mark

Bevel ... You can set value and round level in edges ... but why It's unabble to set in vertex and poly beveling ??
Also, that bevel is not the best .. Making that tool better will avoid again 10000000 different beveling plugins in a future :/
http://www.pictrix.jp/lw/Cbevel/index.html

pictrix made many many, VERY usefull plugins for lw, making whole this plugins buildin in modo is crazyness (as i think - too mutch work for now) but maybe (If it is posibble) reading lsctript would help .. ?

rebo
09-21-2004, 03:48 AM
Check this well written and informed list from modelling guru Ambient-Whisper ::

http://www.cgtalk.com/showpost.php?p=1589045&postcount=29

Ariel
09-21-2004, 07:37 AM
I have to second what Martin mentioned about the camera lens. You really need to have controls for FOV and camera focal length. A percentage is something that has to be "eyeballed" to get right and sometimes you need to see a model through a very specific type of lens or fov. I would put this feature close to the top of the list.

A symmetry tool like the one in Wings along with component smart highlighting would also be very nice to have.

Finally, if Lux wants to appeal to game studios they HAVE to add solid support (as good as in Max/Maya) for edge smoothness/hardness.

RuiFeliciano
09-21-2004, 10:33 AM
I'd like to have Edge Colision Detection on the Edge Bevel tool...I can't recall a single situation where I'd like edges to intersect so this would be a marvelous adition, XSI does this wonderfully

private
09-21-2004, 10:36 AM
Text create tool. Pick a font and then extrude. :) Maybe its there...I just couldnt find it in the manual. :)
Is this true? Is there a text tool or not?

pensart
09-21-2004, 10:49 AM
Yeah, its real easy to complain about featsures that some packages dont have.
But what about the packages u refer to? do they have all the tools? slice and stuff?
U know modo has some kick ass spline modeling tools? I have tested alot of modeling software (seriously testing, not playing) and i can tell u i have never been more exited to model like i do in Modo. For me Modo is the one! u can trow in another 100 missing featsures but i know i'm on the right software!
I bet lux will stay on improving Modo till all asked featsures are implemented.
Remember its Modo version 1.0?? I'm sure the other packages include alot of missing featsures as well!

ThomasMahler
09-21-2004, 11:34 AM
I guess the "problem" is that people just have extremely high expectations towards Modo and, personally, I think that's great. I expect from Modo that it'll be the modeler that kicks everyones ass, frankly ;) So, it still may be a long way until Modo is the one modeler we all hoped for, but I'm sure Luxology will listen very carefully to critics and stuff and improve Modo more and more... I'm sure at version 1.5 (Doh!) or 2.0 Modo will have all the features that we're asking for implemented. Releasing Modo was a good thing, now it's time to shape Modo further and further.

I hope the SDK is as open as humanly possible and I'm sure it won't take long until we'll see a lot of scripts coming up.

As Sheep already said, no program shows it's true power at version 1.0 - It'll be very interesting to see how Luxology responses to their customers demands!

Pazur
09-21-2004, 11:37 AM
there is a sculpt tool in modo but interesting thing to mention is that it's just a push tool with airbrush falloff. In fact, a lot of modo tools are not separate commands but just combinations of basic tools with falloffs, action centers, etc. For example element move is just a move with element falloff.
If there is no tool You want it doesn't mean it can't be done. I think it's a strong side of modo, that there is an open and flexible system underneath which allows of a variety of possibilities. And these possibilities will grow with further app development.
As for flatten command it's like Kursad said, You can manipulate action centers, falloffs and workplanes to make any tool work in any space You need. Again, if You often use a tool with specific falloff or action center You can make a preset from it and use it as new tool with it's button on UI and shortcut.
And I wouldn't worry about further modo development, Luxology team is very responsive when it comes to implementing user requests. In fact, a few things that were not originally planned for v1.0 were implemented because of requests :)

Sha_Man
09-21-2004, 11:40 AM
U know modo has some kick ass spline modeling tools?
You are kidding, right?!? The spline modeling tools are totally out of date and non productive! Destructive la LightWave, you can't get back on you patch after you dropped the tool. You can't even edit correctly a bezier spline after you applied the tool, that's 1990 style. Is that what you call kickass? They are a bit better than LightWave's ones for sure (but LW being the worst in this area it wasn't that hard...) but really limited.

I still don't understand how they could have forget something essential as a type tool tho... still under the shock... :-/

(don't misunderstand me, I'm not saying Modo, there is plenty of reason that makes me like ti, but NOT because of those 2 points)

Pazur
09-21-2004, 12:20 PM
I don't use spline tools too much but You can edit bezier. Simply activate bezier tool and select bezier You want to edit.

zen jehad
09-21-2004, 12:26 PM
Got to be fair though. I remember XSI 1 having no poly tools, the Text tool didn't appear till few versions later also.

I think it's about carefully balancing things though. You want to get the product out the door, but for some people it might lack specific functions they need. But for version 1 it does look very nice.

mbaldwin
09-21-2004, 02:57 PM
I really like the advanced tool HUD's you activate through Preferenced>tool handles.

One suggestion would be to build memory into these displays. As an example, on the bevel tool have the last 5 bevel values appear as markers on the numerical line. Alt(option)-click to lock the markers in permanently or just have them keep filling in the 5 slots as a mini-history.

I have to say I'm very pleased with 1.0. Keep those improvements coming!

ChristianFischer
09-21-2004, 04:10 PM
this is my wishlist...

loop slice should be restictable to selections
range select(select a poly (or edge/point)... select another one .. everything in between gets selected)
slide vertices/edges
better symmetry mode where the symmetry can't get lost or at least a tool to restore the symmetry
better loop slice tool
currently you have to select an edge, activate the tool, click where you want to split the edge ... if you want to add another edgeloop you have to do the same.
why not activating the tool and clicking on the edge you want to cut.
i dont want to switch back and forth between selecting and cutting

better edge slice tool
+ it should work in subD mode
+ the ability to draw "interior points"
(http://img55.exs.cx/img55/8435/asdfg.jpg)

+ beeing able to draw across edges
(http://img55.exs.cx/img55/8128/asdfgh.jpg)

CONFIGURABLE MOUSE BUTTONS ... not only left and right mouse button, also the middle mouse button and the scroll wheel. off course they have to work with the alt, ctrl and shift button and any combination.
imagine you are using the default alt, ctrl and shift navigation of modo and being able to use the mouse buttons with all combinations of the 3 navigation buttons.
you could do almost anything without having to remove your left hand from the navigation buttons and the right hand from the mouse.

bradpeebler
09-21-2004, 04:26 PM
Edge Slice does work without any selection by simply clicking on the mesh. Also, it works in SubD mode as well.

I'll try to post a movie clip here for you.

Oh! And good suggestions! Thanks. :)

BP

ChristianFischer
09-21-2004, 04:29 PM
Edge Slice does work without any selection by simply clicking on the mesh. Also, it works in SubD mode as well.

I'll try to post a movie clip here for you.

Oh! And good suggestions! Thanks. :)

BP
oh .. sorry brad.
i meant loop slice :)

bradpeebler
09-21-2004, 04:49 PM
Ah! Well, even Loop Slice works in SubD mode...

As for having no selection when you activate the tool, I will add that to our request database.

B

MallenLane
09-21-2004, 05:09 PM
Brad: Modo's Edge Slice has the advantage of working with ngons, but is far more sluggish in operation (applying the new edge, dragging the control point) and far less accurate than LW's edge tools (doesn't select using the patch line, sometimes have to rotate the camera to even get the next control point to cut).

It'd be really nice to see that tool get optimized in an update.

ChristianFischer
09-21-2004, 05:12 PM
i know :) .. this was meant for the edge slice tool.
sorry for the confusion!

another thing would be really nice..

sticky keys
if you are for example in the rotate tool, you can press and hold e.g. the button for the polygon selection tool and select some polygons.
as soon as you release the polygon selection button you are back in rotation mode.
maybe this is possible in modo .. would be great :)

MallenLane
09-21-2004, 05:13 PM
It has sticky keys, really a nice addition, except you'd hold the key for the transform instead, then select more elements (right click to switch what kind).

Rigley
09-21-2004, 07:13 PM
I have found a little bug:

If you use Select More, a new element will be highlighted in the viewport, and in the lower right corner of the viewport the indicator shows the correct number of the elements in the selection... BUT then if you press select less, the little indicator do not change - it shows an incorrect number.

Awesome Software, i really like it :thumbsup: !!!

bradpeebler
09-21-2004, 07:24 PM
When I use Select.more and select.less the selection count in the corner is always accurate. I wonder if you are having a refresh error?

BP

bradpeebler
09-21-2004, 07:25 PM
Doh! Now I see that you are right. There is a bug. The selection count is off by one. I'll report that immediately.

BP

Headcrash
09-21-2004, 07:46 PM
sticky keys
[/list]if you are for example in the rotate tool, you can press and hold e.g. the button for the polygon selection tool and select some polygons.
as soon as you release the polygon selection button you are back in rotation mode.
maybe this is possible in modo .. would be great :)

Modo can already do this. Just press and hold the hotkey for the tool you're currently using and it will switch to a selection mode. Releasing the hotkey will return you to your tool apply state.

The application can get a little confused when the tool you're using has a hotkey with some key modifiers. I'd rather have a dedicated hotkey that toggles into a selection mode than the current method.

ChristianFischer
09-21-2004, 07:59 PM
It has sticky keys, really a nice addition, except you'd hold the key for the transform instead, then select more elements (right click to switch what kind).
Modo can already do this. Just press and hold the hotkey for the tool you're currently using and it will switch to a selection mode. Releasing the hotkey will return you to your tool apply state.
uhh .. shame on me http://xsiforum.de/images/smilies/schaemen.gif
i tried it "the xsi way" by pressing for example the polygon mode when being in rotate mode.

really great that this feature is included!!! i first didn't want to request this feature because i thought that it would be hard to implement.
but that it is already implemented is really nice :thumbsup:

drkollossus
09-21-2004, 09:31 PM
I've found another little bug. the Slice tool seems to have a bit of a problem handling angles when the work plane has been altered. If you make a cube, and rotate it on two axis so that it is not lined up with the grid anymore, then select a face and fit the work plane to it.... then use the slice tool on it. instead of a nice clean cut, you can watch as the vert jump around on the edges as you move the handles back and forth. Your slices will usually end up non continuos, and disconnected.

ChristianFischer
09-21-2004, 09:35 PM
another small problem ...

if you select every second edge on a pole and try to remove them you get a hole.

Griffon
09-21-2004, 09:44 PM
I only get that result if I use delete, which is correct.
Using backspace removes and edge and merges the polys on each side.

ChristianFischer
09-21-2004, 09:44 PM
oh .. and if you open modo in a layout with a single view the minimize/maximize viewport function doesn't work.

you first have to switch to the quad view ... after that it works.

ChristianFischer
09-21-2004, 09:52 PM
I only get that result if I use delete, which is correct.
Using backspace removes and edge and merges the polys on each side.
you mean you get something like this when using backspace?

http://img66.exs.cx/img66/1567/Unbenannt-11.jpg

i only achieve this result when selecting every second edge exept the last second and delete them.

http://img66.exs.cx/img66/5758/Unbenannt-0.jpg

then i have to select the remaining edge an can delete it.

Dion Burgoyne
09-21-2004, 10:23 PM
This may be a confusion between MAC and PC users as "delete" on a mac is actually "backspace" on a PC

Backspace[pc] will remove edges while leaving the mesh intact

http://www.afilmdream.com/modo/remove_edges.jpg

Juzz
09-22-2004, 02:06 AM
I am having troubles using UV projected textures in modo. If I have the mesh on a single layer, it all works fine, then when I copy pieces from it and place them on a second layer, the UV map doesn't work anymore. Only the 1st layer will have the image map rendered on.

Also I cannot select all polygons from the UV editor. Even If I have got all my layers set to foreground, in the UV window I can only select stuff from the layer I clicked the first. Modo has got great modeling tools so far but the texturing seems completely off. There is a lot of stuff there that doesn't follow any kind of logic. Fix it guys! Also because Modo cannot render self illumination on textures, my game models show up only as black. I would very much like to be able to see the model in the 3d view exactly as it shows up in the game. It is annoying that I must change my texture attributes every time I save the model for export.

What mostly bugs me about the texture editor itself is that it is very hard to tell which attibutes you can change. All drop down cells in the texture info view should have a little dropdown indicator. Now I just have to click everywhere in order to learn what I can change and what I can not change.

cryo
09-22-2004, 03:56 AM
one thing that is kinda strange is that I have found that the loop slice tool seems to forget its settings if you have more than one slice level. I was making loop slices with two levels, one at 5% and the second at 95%. every time I went to make a new loop slice, I had to reset the settings.

ChristianFischer
09-22-2004, 06:56 AM
This may be a confusion between MAC and PC users as "delete" on a mac is actually "backspace" on a PC

Backspace[pc] will remove edges while leaving the mesh intact
hi dion.

i know the different function of delete and backspace but if i select every second edge on a poly and hit backspace i don't get a n-gon but a hole.
also the select more function doesn't work correct when trying to select every second edge in that pole area!
and in the example on the picture select more doesn't work at all ... i get the message "no plausible next element found"!!

http://img70.exs.cx/img70/6199/Unbenannt-2.jpg

ps: oh ... and please check your PM .. i wrote you 2 days ago.

Griffon
09-22-2004, 07:19 AM
Ok, I'm seeing it now.

dpartridge
09-22-2004, 08:39 AM
i may be missing something, but is there a quick way to convert triple polygon to quad polygons. like the trigonsx lscript for lightwaves modeller. i use this a lot when importing objects from other applications.

ChristianFischer
09-22-2004, 01:25 PM
one thing that could be better is the zoom dependency when "independent scale" is turned off.

if you are working in a 2-monitor-layout and have got 4 viewports on the left monitor and one on the right, the object on the right perspective viewport has exactly the same size as the one on the left very small perspective viewport.
so there is a lot of unused space.

both viewports should use the same zoom factor no matter how big the viewport is!!

cheers chris

http://img58.exs.cx/img58/3932/Unbenannt-3.jpg

drkollossus
09-22-2004, 04:23 PM
OK after Playing with modo for some time and useing it on a project or two, I just noticed something odd. If I want to, say, rotate something an exact amount... where can I type that in numerically? for the translate features there dose not "Seem to be" numeric input fields. Or should I just learn the camands and fire them off.

StuManFu
09-22-2004, 04:35 PM
drkollossus (http://www.cgtalk.com/member.php?u=67234), all you have to do is enter the offset in the numeric field to the left of the screen, presuming you are using the modo defualt layout.

Hope this helps.

Stuart Hall vbmenu_register("postmenu_1593447", true);

CoolDuck_HRO
09-22-2004, 05:32 PM
- connect edge: some people already mentioned it, but I also miss connect edge function.

Oh wait, I see there is a Loop Slice function. Not bad. :) Hmm but I think it's not the same as connect edge. Connect in other apps can also be used with vertices or combination between edge and verts. Very handy.

- Is there a way to make Modo perform the tool without showing Tool Properties (like in Maya with option box or no option box)?

Pazur
09-22-2004, 05:40 PM
drkollossus: use axis rotate (shift + e) instead of rotate to get numeric input for rotation.

coolduck: tool properties is just a form, You can remove it from UI and You will not see it. Tool props are under alt+space popover menu so You can access them at any time and they don't have to be visible in Your layout.

drkollossus
09-23-2004, 04:45 AM
OK wow do I feel like a dork... I just had another panle there and didn't think about going back to tool properties. I'm not a noob... I swear! Well ok we're all kind' a noobies to this one I guess.

Thanks, All

Griffon
09-23-2004, 05:49 AM
one thing that could be better is the zoom dependency when "independent scale" is turned off.

if you are working in a 2-monitor-layout and have got 4 viewports on the left monitor and one on the right, the object on the right perspective viewport has exactly the same size as the one on the left very small perspective viewport.
so there is a lot of unused space.

both viewports should use the same zoom factor no matter how big the viewport is!!

cheers chris

http://img58.exs.cx/img58/3932/Unbenannt-3.jpg
If you turn only "Independent Scale" back on for those viewports, they'll rotate and move together, but when you do a "fit" they'll fit independently.

seasterling
09-23-2004, 06:47 AM
The clone tool only works on polys. As I sat here trying to clone a vertex with the clone tool, I also realized that the tool buttons are not sensitive to the mode you are in or what type of geometry is in the layer. It would be nice if the tools and properties were all sensitive to the selection, especially as the app becomes more complex.

ChristianFischer
09-23-2004, 07:45 AM
If you turn only "Independent Scale" back on for those viewports, they'll rotate and move together, but when you do a "fit" they'll fit independently.yes ... but i don't want to zoom independently.
if i zoom in on a specific area in the small perspective viewport the other should also zoom there.

IMO the perspective viewports should behave like cameras when "independent scale" is turned off ...

leuey
09-23-2004, 07:49 AM
It would be nice if the pie menu buttons/icons could be different colors for things that have an on/off state (so you know what the current state is). For instance I'm using the pie menues that Rob posted in the 'macros' thread for viewport options - if you want to turn cages, grid, normals, etc on/off it would be nice if the pie menu icon was i.e. blue for on and yellow for off (or something like that) so just by calling up the pie menu you could see the states of various parameters at a glance (make sense? you would know if subd cages were toggled to visible or not without having to have them onscreen at the moment to see the result of your pie seletion....then select accordingly)

just a thought....

-Greg

ChristianFischer
09-23-2004, 09:00 AM
ok ... 2 very small things that don't work correctly:

- fit selected: if you select just one vertex and try to frame it, it doesn't work .. you need at least have to select 2 vertices

- shift select a layer: i you open a scene with more than one layer and try to shift select the second layer it gets selected while the first layer gets unselected.
(this not only happens when opening a scene but also occasionally)

also it would be nice if the layers that are visible when saving the scene are still visible when reopening it.
currently only the first layer (and the layers which are subordinated to the first layer) get displayed when opening a scene

Nemoid
09-23-2004, 09:31 AM
Having layers visible when reopening the scene could be nice, actually it happens like this in Lw. but think again : let's say u have tons of layers for one object. Modo or whatever could make u crawl only for rotating that object that u constructed in pieces because it's very complex. could be little disapponinting at first times.
u should therefore have to disable other layers visibility to return into a nice situation.

The best thing to implement it's choice.
if layers were all visible when u closed the scene, then Modo will make all visible, and the opposite if they were not.

even better would be to have this as an option in some panel : save with show all layers option for example, or something similar. :thumbsup:

Sbowling
09-23-2004, 10:53 AM
ok ... 2 very small things that don't work correctly:

- fit selected: if you select just one vertex and try to frame it, it doesn't work .. you need at least have to select 2 vertices

I don't think it's possible to do a fit selected on a vertice because vertices are infinitely small. I'm not aware of any programs that can do this.

Not sure on the other questions because I'm still a N00B at Modo. :D

ChristianFischer
09-23-2004, 11:38 AM
even better would be to have this as an option in some paneltrue .. to have an option is always the best solution :)

I don't think it's possible to do a fit selected on a vertice because vertices are infinitely small. I'm not aware of any programs that can do this.xsi can do this :p

MasonDoran
09-23-2004, 05:14 PM
hmmmm...correct me if i am wrong...

no split poly? not able to draw edge loops?

do i REALLY have to drop the tool everytime i want to change selections...thats enough to give me carpel tunnel

yog
09-23-2004, 05:21 PM

do i REALLY have to drop the tool everytime i want to change selections...thats enough to give me carpel tunnel
I'm glad to tell you, you ARE wrong :D

Yes there is a split poly tool, either automatic creation of edge loops, or manual drawing of edges.

And no, you don't have to drop a tool to make a new selection. Modo works on the sticky key principle, a bit like XSI. Hold down the tool key and you can make selections without dropping it. Also it has a tweek mode like Wings, where you can translate an element (vert, edge or poly) by clicking over it and dragging and it automatically adjusts to the type of element the cursor is over.

PeXi^3
09-23-2004, 05:26 PM
Don't know if this is already reported, but my problem is that right after tool is dropped, selection.drop doesn't seem to work. I'm used to hit space(drop tool)&tab(deselect all) in Lightwave after using a tool, so this is kind a problem to me.
One thing that I would like to see in modo is different cursor for different elements (polys, edges and vertices) like in LW, in modo I'm getting confused that what element selection I'm using when I cycle through them with space.

tjnyc
09-23-2004, 05:47 PM

do i REALLY have to drop the tool everytime i want to change selections...thats enough to give me carpel tunnelThere is a split poly tool. You have to select 2 points and under the polygon side tab, or crtl+L you can split a face between the two selected points.

To draw an edge loop you select your edge and hit the hotkey "L" for loop. You can also pick walk to other loops using your arrow keys, left and right and use up and down for more or less, but it doesn't seem to work properly for me when I use the up and down. A "partial" Loop feature would be usefull here, so if you select one edge it will give your edge loop, but if you select 2 edges it will give you a partial loop defined by your selected edges, but both function should be unified into just the one Loop function. If there already is one, correct me if I am wrong here. The same concept for the Ring function as well.

http://www.telescript.com/images/tony/loop.jpg http://www.telescript.com/images/tony/ring.jpg

Cheers,

MasonDoran
09-23-2004, 05:47 PM
cheers for that.......i think the "c" key was what i was after....when i need to cut across and break loops for low poly stuff.

i see i would have to enter the element move mode if i want to tweak ala Wings style instead of the maya workflow of using component modes and quwerty....

strange though when not in the element move mode...so i have a selection....i move it...the only way to change selection is to first hit a hotkey(whatever tool that maybe)

just figuring out the mental adjustments.

Headcrash
09-23-2004, 06:04 PM
I don't think it's possible to do a fit selected on a vertice because vertices are infinitely small. I'm not aware of any programs that can do this.

Not sure on the other questions because I'm still a N00B at Modo. :D

Firing the 'Fit Selected' command with one vertex* selected will center the display on that point at your current zoom level.

*singular of 'vertices' (yes, improper use of vertice (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=vertice) has always bugged me)

ambient-whisper
09-23-2004, 07:27 PM

As for having no selection when you activate the tool, I will add that to our request database.

B
remember to get in the pre select highlight into there too while at it.;) so we know what the mouse is over. so we make no mistakes.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.