PDA

View Full Version : Exporting Edge Weights?

fez
09-20-2004, 09:36 PM
Couple questions for a model in Lightwave, animate in Max guy.

1) Edge weighting looks great but can you export a model with edge weights into Max or Lightwave? How about XSI?

2) Can I open and edit and resave a Lightwave obj. file in Modo. Any issues I need to watch out for? Will the Modo object format preserve Lightwave layers etc? Can I edit weightmaps in Modo for use in Lightwave?

Thank you!

bradpeebler
09-20-2004, 09:40 PM
1. Edge weight detail must be frozen into the mesh as geometry to be used in LW since LW does not have edge weight support. Maya only has Edge Weights On/Off so we round up or down at export. There will be more edge weight export options in future builds.

2. You can open and resave .lwo files and retain weight maps as well as Endomorphs.

fez
09-20-2004, 10:04 PM
OK. Thanks for the quick response Brad.

MyCatField
09-25-2004, 12:56 AM
Speaking of freezing edge-weighted data, how do you do this? Every method I have tried has resulted in a frozen mesh that's completely identical to one that has no edge-weighting.

Here's what I'm doing:
Make a box, tab into sub-divs, edge weight one edge to 100%. Use Subdivide Polygons set on SDS Subdivide, then tab out of sub-divs.

The resulting mesh looks exactly the same as one done the same way with no edge-weighting. What am I missing?

Thanks,
Mike Hatfield

ManoVelho
09-27-2004, 06:35 AM
Use the command poly.freeze

MyCatField
09-27-2004, 10:53 PM
AH very good, that's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks. Guess I should finish going thru the manuals. :-)

-Mike

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.