PDA

View Full Version : guide rig freakin' out

Tellerve
09-20-2004, 07:18 PM
Not sure why, obviously, but the guide rig used to build rigs quickly in XSI is doing strange things. What is more puzzling is that I made a rig with it last week, but when I went to the next character it didn't.

What it is doing is when I move the guide boxes the bone connected to it, and others that aren't start rotating and moving in random directions. So, for instance if I grab the shoulders and move it to where I want, the forearm bones rotate towards the sky as well as the left hand bone. Very strange.

If someone can tell me what's going on, or better yet how to fix it that'd be great.

thanks,

Tellerve

Tellerve
09-21-2004, 04:46 PM
So, any idea when 4.1 is coming out? I'd really love for the various random crashes and bugs to be fixed.

Tellerve

p.s. Sorry I posted such a hum dinger of a problem that nobody has any answers.

mr Bob
09-21-2004, 05:29 PM
well im rigging at the moment , i dont have any crashes or any problems with the biped rig guide flipping out ..... its not a case of needing a 4.1 ... unless that is you have any bugs to tell us about ?

B

SevenString
09-21-2004, 07:56 PM
Apologies if you already know this, but always make sure that you right-click select the guide before you rig. If the guide isn't fully selected, you can get strange behaviors in rigging, or it won't rig at all.

I've been creating rig after rig from the biped guide with no problems. If you have some more details about the behavior, we can help dig into the problem with you a little more.

AzNightmare
09-24-2004, 12:42 AM
Tellerve, I have the exact same problem.

I've been using the biped guide to rig for all my characters in xsi 3.5
when i used xsi 4.0, and used biped, it seemed to go crazy on me

like the hip bone cannot be moved up or down.
so i selected the upper body to move them down (to match my character mesh) and then yeah, the forearm bones started to flip up skywards.

http://members.shaw.ca/blazecentury/01.jpg select upper body...

http://members.shaw.ca/blazecentury/02.jpg move it down... bones go nuts... :(

Btw, just a bit off topic, but in xsi 3.5, when you select the bone and press "F3" you get that panel which has a set of fixed poses. why did they remove that in xsi 4...

3dtutorial
09-24-2004, 02:13 AM
Hi,

I've just tested this here and I can't reproduce the problem.

It's working fine here :-/

I don't know what to suggest other than triple check everything you are doing.

If that doesn't work -- perhaps a re-install of XSI might be in order?

Hope you can get things sorted.

Cheers,

Joe

Ablefish
09-24-2004, 04:05 AM
Hey AzNightmare, how are you selecting your upperbody? In 4.0 at least, the guide is built so that you can just select the cubes and move them (with child compensation off). In your screen caps it looks like you've got the bones selected as well... even if you do a branch of the upper body (RibCageEnd object), you should only have the implicits selected.

And the hip object is not meant to be moved - it's only there for visual reference as far as I know. Instead, move the cubes.

And I'm not sure why the models created with the rig no longer have a synoptic property attached to them - that is strange. I'd noticed that the annotation property is also missing, which used to give some suggestions on how to use the rig but maybe it just got too outdated as the rig changed and there wasn't time to update it.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.