PDA

View Full Version : Modeling eyes (part of head or separate mesh?)

MJV
08-10-2002, 06:54 PM
I tried animating a head awhile back with separate eye orbs but ran into alot of problems, so I was thinking maybe it's better to model the eye and pupils as part of the main head mesh. I would like to know who thinks it's better to keep the orbs separate, and who thinks it's better to have them as part of the main mesh. What is most traditionally done with realistic characters?

And instead of using orbs, I was thinking of simply curving inside the eyelid a bit and doubling back to form the eye by connecting the top and bottom eyelids. So instead of making an entire orb, or I would just model the part of the eye that is seen.

If you do model the eyes as part of the head mesh, then what would be the best way to animate them?

Thanks for any answers.

MV

Grey
08-10-2002, 10:10 PM
You can use Bones to animate integrated eyes fairly easily so long as you have a vertex or point group (depending on your software platform) weighted to your bone.

It's good to experiment with this using a simple objedt, and too, when you're using this method, you can also weight secondary groups around the eye so the eye socket membrain is dragged allong with the eye itself.

As I said, it depends on your platform, but I'm pretty sure most of them allow you to select groups of vertexes and/or polygons and weight them to a bone.

dvornik
08-11-2002, 12:24 AM
Separate sounds much more natural. I don't see why would you make it part of the head mesh. How are going to rotate them? And control where he's looking at properly?

Tottebias
08-11-2002, 02:49 AM
Use som esort of weightmap and animate them with bones in one object.

MJV
08-11-2002, 09:30 PM
Thanks guys for the advice. I guess I'll go the bone/vertex map route.

Cheers, :beer:

MV

Crode
08-12-2002, 09:12 PM
damn im not sure what kind of problems you encountered while animating but ive never had the eyes as part of my heads poly mesh. It sounds like way too much work especially if you want to make the eyes blink. Not sure what software your using but in maya and xsi ive just parented the eyes to the last joint in the skeletons head then used aim constraints to make the eye move

koinu
08-16-2002, 12:55 PM
Make your eyes seperate from the head. You can use the eyes to help in modeling your lids. Good Luck.. It also matters if you are modeling in NURBS vs POLYS....:bounce:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.