PDA

View Full Version : Website Up and company running

bearfoot
09-20-2004, 05:26 PM
Just a heads up to say have my website up and new company up and running..so big thanks
to everyone who helped me on this board over the past few years..

its all lightwave work so thanks for any feedback ..

just waiting for some work now :-)

cheers
n

www.bearfootfilms.com (http://www.bearfootfilms.com)

coremi
09-20-2004, 06:34 PM
very nice, lovely alien, keep going and a huge Good Luck to u.

bearfoot
09-20-2004, 06:38 PM
thanks a lot for checking dude

feedback is much appreciated

cheers
n

Velk
09-20-2004, 06:54 PM
Almost impossible to use. It is an interesting concept but impracticle because the links are not only impossible to read but they flee from the cursor making it hard to click on them (gives the feeling that it is a game and that entering is not necisarily desired). If I was searching for a service I would have left as soon as I couldn't read the links and they moved away from my mouse.

Also I found it very frusterating that I couldn't use arrows (or their equivilent) to thumb through the categories once I clicked on a link. In other words I would liked to have been able to see the first Animation then have the option to click on a next arrow that would keep me in the animation section but would show the next work. Instead I found myself clicking rabbidly through masses of links that I didn't nescisarily care to see.

NileshXYZ
09-20-2004, 07:46 PM
beerfoot,

sorry to say this, but i agree with somewhat Velk said above.

Number one thing you must change is Navigation in my eyes.
Dont make people look deep to find you navigation or they want event try looking for it.

It was very hard to find my way around the website. I am sure you wanted to make this one of a kind website, but that Navigation system has to go or improved.

I like the zoom effect on Navigation, what i dont like is you are unclear of what you are clicking on. If you were to maybe add some color and a mouseover display a text on bottom right maybe or someplace that tells you what you are going to Click on.

Anyways good luck and sorry to sound negitive. only trying to help.

retinajoy
09-20-2004, 08:20 PM
I have to agree with Velk on this. The site is a nice creative idea but does not work as a website promoting your business. If I am a customer, I want to get straight to the information and see what you can do for me. You have to get the balance right between showing your creativity and looking professional.

To improve things, you should have your categories floating closer so visiters can read what they say, helping them get a quicker overview of what you do. Also, those who may want to hire you are probably not up there in tech speak and not creative themselves. They don't care if your image uses Hypervoxels etc. They just want to see your good images (you have those :)) or animation as evidence that you are capable, with some written info about how you could help them is some specific ways (multi-media, video etc).

Who is your website/business targeted to? What type of work are you trying to attract? Are you wanting to do vis work? Games? Video? A bit of everything?

Here are some varied styled sites to check I quickly found. Some of these may not be as clever or creative as yours but they are clear in explaining what they can do. I hope this helps and I hope your business succeeds.

http://www.joshbook.com/
http://www.mgbtv.co.uk/mgbHOME800by600.htm
http://www.axisanimation.com/
http://www.millfilm.co.uk/

MooseDog
09-21-2004, 03:53 AM
fantastic artwork, congratulations. the site, however, fails the "aunt bonnie test". i.e. if your/my aunt bonnie cannot navigate the site and figure it out, the site design has failed. granted, your target audience is certainly more sophisticated, but the principal still applies. consider the site a w.i.p. :) it can still be graphical w/o being graphics intensive, or worse, inscrutable.

leigh
09-21-2004, 03:58 AM
Sorry to post a negative comment, because I usually don't, but I feel the need to say this for your own good :) - I stayed on your site for about 20 seconds before closing it. I don't want to have to chase links around a page and you can bet your bottom dollar that potential clients/employers don't want to either.

Avoid gimmicks if you're wanting to sell the content of your site as opposed to the style of it :)

Teapot-7
09-21-2004, 05:28 AM
Oddly enough, I was just saying to someone at work today that I've worked with a lot of talented artists and I've generally found that the stronger their graphic design skills, the more demented their website designs. And... umm... oh, nothing.

More seriously - yeah, as others are saying, simple navigation would be much more approachable. When I approach a website I think I mentally take a two step approach:

i) find the stuff I'm looking for

ii) admire it

Any website that tries to make me admire the site itself gets in the way of i) so I never get around to ii)

bearfoot
09-21-2004, 08:42 AM
ok well all good feedback

thanks a lot for the comments and taking the time to look

cheers
n

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.