PDA

View Full Version : Painter IX Unveiled at Corel Site September 20, 2004!

Jinbrown
09-20-2004, 05:24 PM
September 20, 2004 - Corel Painter IX Unveiled - Take a sneak peek at the most powerful and fastest version of Painter ever.

Corel Home Page (http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=Corel2/Home)

Or skip to the following page to see:

September 20, 2004 - Corel Painter IX Coming Soon
Check Out the Top 9 New Features
Pre order Now and Get a Free Painter IX Sketchbook
Sneak Preview - Download a Free Trial
Submit your E-mail Address and Corel Will Notify You as Soon as Painter IX is Available.

Corel Painter IX Coming Soon (http://www.corel.com/painterix/comingsoon/index.html)

Jinbrown
09-20-2004, 08:32 PM
From Google Alert - Corel Painter:

Ottawa (Business Wire)(press release) - San Francisco,CA,USA September 20, 2004 9:34 AM US Eastern Time:

Corel Painter IX Unveiled: Commercial Designers, Photographers & Professional Artists Discover the Most Powerful Natural-Media Painting and Illustration Application EVER! (http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20040920005557&newsLang=en)

MacNN.com - USA Monday, September 20, 2004 @ 1:15 pm:

Corel Painter IX due in Oct, free trial available (http://macnn.com/news/26303)

ZDNet.com - USA - By David Becker CNET News.com September 20, 2004, 9:49 AM PT

Corel updates Painter (http://news.zdnet.com/2110-3513_22-5374480.html)

Steve Green
09-20-2004, 09:16 PM
From looking at the trial, still no alpha support for TGA files, or PNG support... hmpfh...

Is it really that hard?

- Steve

theCloudmover
09-20-2004, 09:28 PM
Downloaded the trial.

Let's see if it's worth $229.00
Thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

billhdz
09-20-2004, 10:45 PM
I just read about Corel Painter IX at the corel website,
and what is really new?
It just seems like little enhancements and the upgrade price went up.
I don't think I am going to be upgrading anytime soon. I don't see he value. :sad:

Am I the only one that feels this way? Am I missing something here?

mcarp
09-20-2004, 11:40 PM
on how often you use it. I ran the trial download for maybe fifteen minutes before ordering from the Corel store. I have Painter open almost every day, and I can see real value in the upgrade. For me, though, tools that speed up the work I'm doing now are more important than dubious new gimmick features which have become the bane of software at every level.

If you're using Painter professionally, this upgrade is definitely worth $229.

billhdz
09-21-2004, 01:45 AM
I am glad that you can justify the upgrade. Good for you.

I have been playing with the Painter 9 demo today.
I have been using painter since version 2.

I have a fast computer, so painter 8 works super fast on my system.
I can do anything on Painter 8 that I can do on Painter 9.

I still can't justify the upgrade, and I am a big painter fan.

Shogmaster
09-21-2004, 01:58 AM
I am glad that you can justify the upgrade. Good for you.

I have been playing with the Painter 9 demo today.
I have been using painter since version 2.

I have a fast computer, so painter 8 works super fast on my system.
I can do anything on Painter 8 that I can do on Painter 9.

I still can't justify the upgrade, and I am a big painter fan.
You should play around with it some more. So many cool new features!

Two of my favs:
-Flip individual layers!
-Stroke to paths!

And the faster speed on watercolors are very appreciated.

Mechis
09-21-2004, 03:33 AM
I have an academic version of Painter 8.

Is there an academic upgrade available? Or would it be possible to pre-order another academic version (b/c that is still cheaper than the regular upgrade price)? I don't see that option available on the Corel website.

~Mechis

billhdz
09-21-2004, 03:37 AM
Hi Shogmaster,

I'll keep playing with it. We'll see what happens.

Thanks!

sand dragon
09-21-2004, 06:03 AM
I have an academic version of Painter 8.

Is there an academic upgrade available? Or would it be possible to pre-order another academic version (b/c that is still cheaper than the regular upgrade price)? I don't see that option available on the Corel website.

~Mechis

Hi Mechis,

Check out *this page* (http://www.computerhq.com/hardware/parts-cat_id-146-page-2.html). Presumably 'ACAD' refers to the academic version. You could also try searching for Painter IX on Google, which may turn up more sources.

David

Mechis
09-21-2004, 06:18 AM
@sand dragon
Thanks for the link. Do you know why there are so many different prices for the academic version? Also, I'm not sure I understand some of the text, ex. "LIC 26-60" or "MNT 2 years 1-10" Do you have any ideas?
Thanks!
~Mechis

sand dragon
09-21-2004, 07:39 AM
@sand dragon
Thanks for the link. Do you know why there are so many different prices for the academic version? Also, I'm not sure I understand some of the text, ex. "LIC 26-60" or "MNT 2 years 1-10" Do you have any ideas?
Thanks!
~Mechis

Hi Mechis,
Firstly, I must add that I have never had any dealings with this company, but I *suspect* the "LIC 26-60" is the site licence discount price per user for 26-60 users. I'm not sure what MNT means.

I notice that they have a support chat option on their page, and you can contact them via e-mail;
sales@computerhq.com

Perhaps you could also mention to them that it would be in their interest to add an abbreviations summary to their FAQ section, as I couldn't find one and a lot of people will be asking the same questions.

David

theCloudmover
09-21-2004, 04:52 PM
As allways shop around.

For those of us who are getting the upgrade and don't care that much about the sketchbook :banghead:

Macmall/PCmall has the ugrade for $199
http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/detail.asp?dpno=494712

I'm sure if you looked around the web you could find some "below retail" prices.

Mechis
09-22-2004, 02:00 AM
@sand dragon
Thanks!
~Mechis

womanonfire
09-24-2004, 10:26 AM
yes, why still no alpha support for TGA files?
very disappointing.

evanfotis
09-24-2004, 11:51 AM
Hello, I've been usin Painter since v4, I love it, I'm used to all it quirks and shortcomings.
The script feature which I really need for animating cartoons, although a brilliant idea, has not changed since v5...
Editing a script is so counterproducrive and unintuitive, I now just draw the original in Painter or PS, then go to AE and animate it with vector paint. Aura and Mirage offer this autopaint feature as vector process and with keyframe controls.
I was wondering now with v9, if Painter has finally got a more usefull script feature, eliminating the framestack detour and making the playback speed much more efficient.
Also I hate that from v8, one cannot customize the interface colours and bg, as in the previous versions. Is this solved in 9?

Jinbrown
09-24-2004, 11:52 PM
Scripting:

I believe the Frames Per Second is now 1 to 40. Other than that, I am not aware of any other changes. Check the new improvements list on the Corel site, to be sure, or download the Painter IX trial version and see for yourself what's new and improved.

Background Color:

We can now change the image window background color.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.