PDA

View Full Version : Waiting for ? to buy Modo

markdc
09-20-2004, 03:55 PM
Thought I'd get a little poll going...

AmbiDextrose
09-20-2004, 04:08 PM
Yep. Trying to decide between XSI|Foundation and Modo. Right now, just on the merits of the modeler alone, I have to go with XSI- there's nothing I've seen in the Modo videos that cannot be done in XSI plus it seems that XSI has a more complete set of polygonal modeling operations. People may exhort the workflow improvements but, really, what's stopping Softimage (or any other 3D software vendor) from implementing the same workflow shortcuts in the next update or release? Modo's saving grace is that they're a new company and as such, they're hungry for market share. In general, this would make them more receptive to user's suggestions on how to improve their product(s). All-in-all, although I find the vidoes, articles, and testimonials to be quite compelling, it's not enough for me to fork over $700.00 for an application that currently has a small marketshare by an unproven company. I need to work with it and be impressed on a first-person level before I'll buy it.

mushroomgod
09-20-2004, 04:14 PM
a demo... Im suprized that people are buying it at all realy, i wouldent spend that amount of cash on somthing I havent tryed and tested.

unfortunalty i do not have that kind of disposable cash :(

webshot
09-20-2004, 04:30 PM
I find it hard to believe that a company which is new with a new product did not have a dem setup. But I am waiting on a demo as well. The company that I do web development for is looking at a 3d solution for packaging demos. I have been playing with LW for sometime now. BUt sounds like a tasty tid bit. But I cant recommed it until I try it. Please Luxo release a demo.

AmbiDextrose
09-20-2004, 04:35 PM
The only way I'll buy Modo without a demo is if Lux will offer a free upgrade to the next version (doesn't matter if it's just for the modeler, i.e. sans Nexus). I've been a early adopter before and have gotten burned by it more often than not, hence my pensive attitiude.

ThomasMahler
09-20-2004, 04:36 PM
I'd have the money together next month (Modo would be a bigger investment for me...), but I'm still waiting for some reviews, videos, etc. It'd be great to see Modo in action first, I'm not sure what it can/can't do. Cause of that, I think it'd be awesome if Luxology would make the training videos public - Pixologic did the same, with the Zbrush Practical Guide.

If Modo's really all about workflow, I'd love to see that on my own without first investing 700 bucks...

Xtrude
09-20-2004, 04:58 PM
Well, Wings3D is free, and unless this Modo will allow for 700 times the value of Wings3D then I just can't see what all the fuss is about...

So perhaps a feature list would be totaly inorder to better spell this out for us... and... yes indeed, a demo is a must... IMHO :D

BazC
09-20-2004, 05:18 PM
Yup demo, I wouldn't even consider spending that amout of cash without trying first.
I think the price needs to come down too, however good it is I don't believe it can be worth more than C4d base app or XSI foundation!
If Nexus comes out with Modo built in at a similar price to Lightwave (as people are speculating) it would probably be a bargain, but with the price of high end 3d apps dropping the way they are I feel this app is waaay overpriced! :o(

Kvaalen
09-20-2004, 05:23 PM
Maybe you forgot one option in your poll?
I'm pretty sure there are many people who are just waiting for Nexus.

I also think it would have been better to have a multichoice type poll. :)

ray-f
09-20-2004, 05:25 PM
a demo... Im suprized that people are buying it at all realy, i wouldent spend that amount of cash on somthing I havent tryed and tested.
In absolute agreement

Auctor
09-20-2004, 05:52 PM
maybe you can add "student prices" to the poll. BUT i already wrote to luxology and the answer from the sales team was:

We do not offer single copy educational pricing at this time, but we
will be offering educational site licences.

a pitty...

Martin

IanBlackford
09-20-2004, 06:04 PM

unfortunalty i do not have that kind of disposable cash :( agreed
i voted for a demo too.
lets hope its not too long til we all see one
heres to waiting
monsieurblack

mushroomgod
09-20-2004, 06:09 PM
I hope that theres a demo out before the introduction price has finished (60 days)

Signal2Noise
09-20-2004, 06:21 PM
Yep, no demo'ing= no purchasing.;)

c-g
09-20-2004, 07:16 PM
Maybe you should have added "not waiting, already bought Modo" to get an accurate number.

Para
09-20-2004, 07:46 PM
Maybe you should have added "not waiting, already bought Modo" to get an accurate number.

Why would anyone want to vote in a thread which is meant to see what people are still waiting for? :p

FunBucket
09-20-2004, 08:52 PM
Waiting for a demo here. I already have an educational license of XSI. Does EVERYTHING I could ever need. So why should I spend $700 on a modeler when I could spend $500 on a complete system? Though not the advanced version like my educational license, but still... only a demo will help me make my mind up.

richcz3
09-21-2004, 12:18 AM
I'm a lttle more leanient with my requirements.
A detailed tools and feature list is what I need before I buy.
I am pretty sure that the existing tools are smoother that LW's, but thats NO cause to spend $595 for a modeler. :eek:

NOW - If there are exceptional tools that Lightwave's modeler doesn't have, that will help me to make an informed decision.

richcz3

c-g
09-21-2004, 02:03 AM
Why would anyone want to vote in a thread which is meant to see what people are still waiting for? :p
So you can see if the people waiting are a small percentage or not.

If only one person votes and is waiting because they don't have the cash, how accurate is that 100%?

Nemoid
09-21-2004, 08:22 AM
Demo here. I think that it's the best way to try a product and all other big apps have one:

I usually don't like to buy things quite blindly. True that we have some movies, so some more good movies , an extensive intervieew and other descriptions could do a good job.
I have to say i am actually sold on Modo, and the Nexus project,but I'll probably buy a bit later, when hype (yeah even mine) has vanished and i'll had saved some money. :)

mushroomgod
09-21-2004, 09:11 AM
So you can see if the people waiting are a small percentage or not.

If only one person votes and is waiting because they don't have the cash, how accurate is that 100%?

look at it like this.....Lux have (at this time) lost 98 possible sales.

Beamtracer
09-21-2004, 10:41 AM
Modo will do well in film & television. I have no doubt about that.

I'm hoping that Lux will offer a 100% downloadable option. Sure everyone would like a paper manual, but I think some people saving their pennies/dimes/kronas would be willing to go with a PDF manual if it meant that the savings could be passed on.

I'm hoping Brad can arrange a fully electronic download before the 60 day introductory offer expires.

As a Mac user, there are compelling reasons why Luxology is a good choice.

zen jehad
09-21-2004, 11:16 AM
I wouldn't mind a demo, but I've pretty much made my mind up to buy it. The workflow sounds amazing, combined with customisation options. For a version 1 release, it looks great, and I get the impression that it's much more than the sum of its parts; ie. just listing the feature set doesn't describe the full story, the toolpipe brings so much to the table.

Also the fact that the guys from Lux are heavily present in the forums is good, they seem to be on the ball.

But the clincher for me is that the Mac version isn't some after-thought, unlike some other software. I'm looking forward to be able to kick back on the couch with modo on the Powerbok.

CB_3D
09-21-2004, 12:19 PM
I voted for the reviews, but actually what i really will be waiting for is NEXUS.

kees
09-21-2004, 01:27 PM
of course they could easily have a demo version.

They likely already have one ready to go.

They are probably just waiting for all 'impulse buyers' to be done buying Modo, then when it slows down, they will likely release a demo.

-Kees

JulesB
09-21-2004, 01:30 PM
Well, it is very expensive, the shipping fee is ludicrous (nearly $76 - 43 or so in my money) - there's no download on the full package because as they told me, there's simply too much to download (without actually telling me how much, of course). As it's a physical UPS package, it'll probably attract VAT, so I'll be presented with a bill at the door for that when it arrives on top of whatever else it's cost.

BUT, I was swayed by the videos and descriptions on the website (possibly foolish to do so, but....), LW Modeler is my main modelling package, and Modo as far as I'm concerned is the elegant and integrated tool that LW Modeler should have been by now, so I took the chance and bought it last night - there were enough positive comments from far better modellers than me about it, and as far as it goes for me, that is the best kind of review. Modo has been designed by the people who invented LW, and rightly or wrongly I trust that.

I suspect hundreds of people have bought into it without reviews and demos, and at the current price point. Not because they've got that much spare cash, or are foolish with their money, etc, but simply because it's the smooth integrated version of the modeller they use all the time.

If this is what we get right at the start, and providing Luxology don't screw up the product or the company, then I'm not even remotely unhappy about shelling out for it now. It actually doesn't have the whoa-fab-cool-ace-never-seen-that-before toolset - we have seen it all before, but not as smooth and as well designed as this, or in such a fluid workflow. And that frankly is worth alot.

Julian.

Proximus
09-21-2004, 01:49 PM
To much talk Lux, lets see the marchandise, it start feeling like a scam to me.

plastic
09-21-2004, 02:19 PM
well it's ridiculous that there is no demo.
i'm amazed that anyone is buying software blindly.
as i heard on the chat there is already an "inofficial" demo available.
don't tell me it's hard to compile a version with save deactivated.
i don't really need this product but i would love to try it out. screenshots looks sweet.

StephanD
09-21-2004, 03:29 PM
Eventhough I have it(the money),it is alot of $$$.

A demo please.

c-g
09-21-2004, 07:15 PM
To much talk Lux, lets see the marchandise, it start feeling like a scam to me.
So all these people that are using it are just making it up? Saying it is a scam is plain stupid.

mosquito710
09-21-2004, 10:06 PM
I'm waiting for an academic version.

I emailed them and they said to look for an announcement soon.
If I can afford the educational version when it comes out, I will buy without a demo.

However, a demo would be awesome and I would download one if it were available.

Montty_cg
09-25-2004, 10:28 AM
Indeed and as I mentioned it in previous threads, an evaluation version is the way to go as like many here, I can't see myself forking out any money on a non refundable product without deep and thorough trials.

Also it would be great if saving and export features where left available (at least for a few trials i.e like in Rhino which offers in the region of 25 save/export until the feature is locked ).

My company creates and distributes models in different file formats via an online store and this is crucial that save/export stays available in any demo to allow us full assessment of the file translation pipeline either via the Modo format directly (developing our own translator) or via third party translation software.

Cheers!!

Cyberdigitus
09-25-2004, 01:11 PM
reading the posts here on cgtalk, it seems many tools aren't really what people are expecting or are 'missing'. I guess i'm waiting for a 1.5 release, along with detailed announcements about coming modules and the Nexus sdk in general. Oh, and the money of course...

jscott
09-25-2004, 03:46 PM
Just a reminder about Nexus...

From Brad Peebler: "Nexus is our internal development platform. There has been a lot of confusion about what Nexus really is. It is NOT a product. Nexus is a system we have created that allows us to have our entire development team working on a single code base."

On topic: I think there should have been a demo available when the produce was ready for purchase.

I'm sure the lack of a demo will have some looking for illegal means of obtaining the software so they can play with it. Unfortunataly for Luxology this will put a non-expiring version of Modo on many machines. This will slow purchases for those who do intend to buy. By slow I mean they may try the product for 30-60 days before paying up, maybe longer. I'm not counting the folks who fully intend to steal the product because they never intended to purchase anyway.

The lack of a demo will slow sales not prevent piracy.

-jscott

webshot
09-25-2004, 04:28 PM
I think the slow down in requests for a demo is an indication that the piratd copy is out there in mass numbers. I know for a fact there strategy has cost them money since I could have convinced my company to buy it if I tried but instead we went with LW since I already knew the product. It would have been a great chance to see and use a new product. But I had to go with what I know and have used. Better than end up with a product that was worthess all because of a few people saying it was great. But I am satisfied with LW and doubt I will look to modo again.

ThomasMahler
09-25-2004, 05:09 PM
I'd still love if Lux at least would release manuals or make the vid docs public, so we could at least read about Modos tools or watch someone working with it.

That'd be no additional work for Luxology and we would be able to know more about the program before spending 700 bucks. After I read Martin Krols postings here I'm not too sure if the Modo/Lightwave workflow would really make me happy (No connect tool... ack!), so please Luxology, give us more videos!

webshot
09-25-2004, 05:22 PM
I dont think they are listening to the different strategies and requests for training/manual/demo. I think their business model is set and they believe it is the most advantagious to not offer anything and ride the hype until the wheels fall off.

News flash Lux, another sale down the drain due to no demo/release docs. My friend has convinced his dad to fork over the money for c4d. He was seriously considering your product but no demo and no return emails forced him to go another way.

Nando
09-25-2004, 05:41 PM
I think they are listening, but just dont have the time to get a Demo out yet.
I think their first Priority are the customers that already payed for the Product, and Lux is probably realy... realy.... busy trying to get product manuals/DVD to the paying customer first.
since the initial release... Lux folk have been on the board alot answering questions so that leads me to believe that they didnt have time to package, and ship items, plus they stated that they were overwelmed by the orders a bit. Now that some folks understand the basics, they are in shipping mode. Becuase my licensce as a paying customer expires in 6 days. :scream:

policarpo
09-25-2004, 06:54 PM
Why don't they just offer a 15 day trial of modo.

Aren't the current shipping versions time bombed until they get a permanent license?

Just a thought.

:love:

Martin_G_3D
09-25-2004, 07:24 PM
I am suprised that the release of Modo didn't come together with atleast a 30 day trial.

At the time you get the most media attention you should have a demo out while your application is still 'hot' in the pressrooms. So that people will all go download the demo which leads to costumors. By the time they will put a demo out now the hype might have died down a bit.

Plus that it's all just not very convenient. Which is bad for their image maybe.

Altough so far it looks like that all is well but that they are just busy

Nando
09-25-2004, 07:37 PM
Why don't they just offer a 15 day trial of modo.

Aren't the current shipping versions time bombed until they get a permanent license?

Just a thought.

:love:
I dont think its that easy, it does have a time limit, but the license that was generated does show that the purchaser is tied to that seat.
If i go to help about Modo
It states that the product is licensed to me( Full Name)
And I didnt even type that in there or anywhere except on the order page.
:shrug:

Para
09-25-2004, 09:16 PM
Basically everything you have to code in to an app to prevent it's continous usage can be hacked with a hex editor (basically editing the main file to "jump over" the prevention code). Only way to give out a "good" test version is to literally take stuff off and not replace them with anything.

MrPG
09-26-2004, 03:27 AM
need choice for linux version :D

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.