PDA

View Full Version : Major Memory Problem - Runaway Page File

Steve McRae
09-20-2004, 03:50 PM
Well, playing around with Modo for a bit - it really looks it will be a great piece of software. However there is a bug that makes modo pretty much unuseable to me at this point.

I tried to report this bug, but the contact form at Lux is currently not operational and returns an error asp page.

Here is what happens:

a. open file (250,000 poly - 20mb) page file goes to ~500
b. open and close file - page file= ~800 mb
c. open and close file - page file = ~1.20gb
d. open and close file - page file = ~1.47gb
e. open and close file - page file = ~1.69gb
f. open and close file - page file = ~1.87gb --> modo crash

Also noteworthy is that the files take progressively longer to load each time - switching between layers of high poly (500k) takes forever.

This scenario above is easily duplicated.

specs - P4 3.7
Quadro FX1100
1 Gig ram

Cutting and pasting high res layers causes difficulty as well as it pegs the processor for a (long) time and ups your page file again.

On a positive note - it seems to have much better stenciling and boolean capabilites than does LW - what gave me errors to stencil in LW 5 minutes later worked perfectly in Modo.

cheers,

webshot
09-20-2004, 04:25 PM
I am far from a pro in 3d. But I was waiting to hear some of the cons to this software. I have seen the nice models and read all the praise. Now just waiting for the dust to settle and see what issues people create or have. Thanks Atom.

Steve McRae
09-20-2004, 08:40 PM
anyone else experience this problem?

AmbiDextrose
09-20-2004, 08:44 PM
I think you problem is related to this:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=171126

Steve McRae
09-20-2004, 09:00 PM
yup - sounds like he is having the same problem - they are going down a different trail however - I am refering to the page file . . .

AmbiDextrose
09-20-2004, 09:41 PM
It's the same thing. The pagefile is an extension of physical memory (virtual memory=physical + pagefile).

Steve McRae
09-20-2004, 10:10 PM
y - i got confused amongst all the video card talk there. =)

MrPG
09-20-2004, 11:48 PM
haven't got my hands on it yet, but may want to lock your pagefile to a static size.

control panel / system / advance tab / performance.... something similar

seet virtual memory size min and max to the same size, ex;

min 1028megs
max 1028megs

this locks the virtual memory/pagefile.sys to a static size... this in general is good practice as it limits disk fragmentation. Then your pagefile.sys can't grow past 1gig.

Obviously this is a work around fix and not the proper/true solution if modo has memory management/leak issues.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.