PDA

View Full Version : Translucency queastion

sherban
09-20-2004, 02:46 PM
hi all,
I have a scene with a few translucent leaves. such that I have a light source behind the leaves but they each cast a shadow on each other that can be seen on the polys facing the camera (ie. not on the face that is actually recieving the shadow)
basically your normal translucent behaviour.

This all works fine on flat plane-like objects. However when I use the same material on a "closed" object (ie. one with volume), the backfacing polys cast a shadow on the frontfacing polys form behind. Thereby obscuring the light (and shadows cast by other leaves) and nullyifying the entire tranlucency effect.

I think that if I can mute the object's self-shadow only I can make the effect work. I don't want to remove the shadows completely as I still want it to cast shadows on the other leaves.

Any help or workaround will be appreciated.

moo

EdHarriss
09-20-2004, 03:54 PM
- Have you tried rendering with back facing turned off? Maybe that will solve your problem?

Fex
09-20-2004, 10:02 PM
for more realistic scattering try diffusion shader
http://animus.brinkster.net/stuff/stuff.asp
:)

sherban
09-21-2004, 12:34 PM
thank,
Turning off backfacing or using the front-back switcher do nothing for the way translucency is rendered. The back polys still "cast a shadow"

I'll give the diffusion thingee a try.
Hope it doesn't kill my render times. Looks decent enough.
I always like to work simple tho and the translucency would have been just right for me if it had worked properly :(

Fluckrat
09-21-2004, 06:45 PM
thank,
Turning off backfacing or using the front-back switcher do nothing for the way translucency is rendered. The back polys still "cast a shadow"

I'll give the diffusion thingee a try.
Hope it doesn't kill my render times. Looks decent enough.
I always like to work simple tho and the translucency would have been just right for me if it had worked properly :(
See my reply on XSI Base ;)

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.