PDA

View Full Version : Fixing the Symmetry

ChristianFischer
09-20-2004, 07:04 AM
hi.

is there a fast way of fixing the symmetry when it gets lost?
the only way i see is to cut your model in the middle, delete all polygons on one side and mirror the other half.

this works as long as both sides are exactly the same ... but what if the left eye looks different than the right one but the rest looks the same on both sides?

i tried to do it by positioning the points in the exact position (one point in the negative x of course) with the "set position"-tool but the symmetry won't come back ...

cheers chris

kursad_pileksuz
09-20-2004, 07:21 AM
we are hoping that that would be fixed soon.that happenes mostly after bevels or things related to local normal coordinates, like edge extrude or bevel etc

Kvaalen
09-20-2004, 07:22 AM
If I have a character that is not symmetrical, I usually model it symmetrical and then create a morph where I make the changes on one side alone. That way the symmetry always works.Just a general tip. :)

In your case, you can select the part that is supposed to be different on each side and hide it (or put it in another layer temporarly) and delete half and mirror.

ChristianFischer
09-20-2004, 07:36 AM
we are hoping that that would be fixed soon.good to hear :)

I usually model it symmetrical and then create a morph where I make the changes on one side alone. That way the symmetry always works.Just a general tip. :)sure ... thats true
but a fix tool which restores the symmetry would still be nice :)

or it would even be better if the symmetry wouldn't get lost at all.
i often loose symmetry when using the soft drag tool in the seam area because both connected points get influenced by the drag tool with a different amount.
wouldn't it be possible to really "lock" the corresponding points together so that this couldn't happen?

kursad_pileksuz
09-20-2004, 07:39 AM
well soft drag and sculpt is another ones that mess it up. and yes normall you can select the middle vertices and "lock" them (locking selections is a great feature btw) . so you never engage with them. that may be a solution to one of the problems, but yet does not remove the symmetry problems of other kinds

ChristianFischer
09-20-2004, 07:44 AM
that may be a solution to one of the problems, but yet does not remove the symmetry problems of other kinds
what i meant is that you lock the point on the right side to the corresponding point on the left so that they always have the same value.

or maybe make the points on the left half totally unselectable an behave exactly as the ones on the right.

ChristianFischer
09-20-2004, 08:11 AM
for lightwave there was a little lscript called cm_fixsymmetry to fix the symmetry on two points.
maybe it is easy to adopt this for modo ?!

tayse
09-20-2004, 11:46 AM
there is a lscript named quickmirror, most of the time it is better and faster than fix_symmetry. They can add this to modo but ofcourse, not losing the symmetry is the best thing. That was the first thing in my list that I hoped modo would not have it as lightwave, unfortunately :( . I am sure they are gonna fix it.

to lux guys ; Do not stress out guys, you did a great job, there is just small details left which can be fixed eventually.

Nemoid
09-20-2004, 12:25 PM
I'd second that this plug can be really helpful, just because the best way to fix simmetry in Lw is to delete one half and mirror the object. I usually don't rely too much on plugs though unless they make my life veery veery easier.
This is because they could not be at my disposal if i work into another enviroment, place or with a new relese of Lw.
That's why I think that the way that Kvaalen suggests is one of the best ways to go. :thumbsup:

However, a good way to fix simmetry in Modo would be great, even because there, plugs will work into a much more powerful way than in Lw for sure.

So, just imagine fantastic tools to solve this kinda probs.

kursad_pileksuz
09-20-2004, 06:41 PM
i think modo should have real instance modelling in a way, so we can mirror objects like on in maya

SheepFactory
09-20-2004, 07:19 PM
i think modo should have real instance modelling in a way, so we can mirror objects like on in maya

i'd much prefer a virtual mirror setup like in wings. unlike symmetry it never breaks and you can freeze it , discard it , anytime you want.

ThomasMahler
09-20-2004, 07:36 PM
i'd much prefer a virtual mirror setup like in wings. unlike symmetry it never breaks and you can freeze it , discard it , anytime you want.

And there's a big, fat seam in the middle...

SheepFactory
09-20-2004, 07:41 PM
And there's a big, fat seam in the middle...
There is no seam here , it merges the vertex's when you mirror automaticly.

ThomasMahler
09-20-2004, 07:46 PM
Yeah, when you use Mirror - But while you're using the Virtual Mirror, there will be a seam. If you turn on the Directional Lights, you'll see that the shading is totally different. Not really cool if you want to look at your models contour lines, etc.

StephanD
09-20-2004, 07:50 PM
Wings has the best implementation of a mirror select a face and wham,hit the VM...Even Silo doesn't do it as fast plus you have to check your center and the vertice weld falloff before applying which is counter-intuitive.

You can also edit both sides of the mirror in Wings,Modo would definitely rock with that(VM).

Not really cool if you want to look at your models contour lines

I don't see how the contour lines would be affected by the middle geometry?Plus,no other artifacts appear on my machine except for the seam.

SheepFactory
09-20-2004, 07:54 PM
Yeah, when you use Mirror - But while you're using the Virtual Mirror, there will be a seam. If you turn on the Directional Lights, you'll see that the shading is totally different. Not really cool if you want to look at your models contour lines, etc.

thomas are you aware of the virtual mirror > freeze , command? It'll remove the seam and merge the vertex's , you can than undo and keep working.

ThomasMahler
09-20-2004, 08:04 PM
Well, yeah, but I still dream of a Virtual Mirror without any seams and shading differences. As far as I know, Freeze "just" keeps you from deleting the vm and mirroring again, right? Modeling and looking at your model without a seam the whole time _would_ be great.

SheepFactory
09-20-2004, 08:17 PM
freeze gets rid of that seam that you keep mentioning and merges the center vertices. the seam is only there when the VM is active and frankly doesnt hinder anything , when you are done modelling you "freeze" and its gone.

StuManFu
09-21-2004, 04:03 PM
I'm with Thomas on this one. If I'm modelling a face I don't want to see a seam down the middle while I'm modelling. I want to be able to see the curvature of the nose without having to remove the VM.

Modo gives me that all the time.

Stuart Hall

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.