PDA

View Full Version : Modo ona Mac?

Oddgit
09-20-2004, 06:57 AM
has anyone been able to get Modo to work on a Mac? i just downloaded it tonight and i get a license error when i launch the app.

bradpeebler
09-20-2004, 07:17 AM
If you have downloaded and installed the license key and it still does not work, please contact cs@luxology.com directly and we will work with you to sort it out.

Thanks
BP

awrieger
09-20-2004, 07:19 AM
Yep, it works like a dream.

I believe the instructions said to run the temporary licence command file before you launch Modo. (The download link for the licence file was on the same page as the main Modo download).

So I get a '14 day trial' message now when I launch Modo. Which I guess is how the temporary licence works until I receive my permanent licence number.

aw

Beamtracer
09-20-2004, 07:29 AM
I haven't got Modo yet, but I'm very interested to know how it does on Mac OS X. There are reason why Modo should excel on Mac OS X...

1. First 3D app written from the ground up with the most modern OS X / G5 compilers
2. OS X will allow more RAM to be allocated to the app than current Windows systems
3. Luxology's "3D OS" should mean better cross-platform plug-in support.

Some other 3D apps make the Mac users second class citizens. That should all change with Luxology. This app should make your Apple G5 workstation shine!

Crocodilian
09-20-2004, 07:37 AM
I got the license error, too, reinstalled, and it worked.

I'm running on a relatively slow G4 laptop (867 mhz). Modo is less responsive than LW Modeller on this platform.

Its very slick, though, and very reminiscent of LW. The surface editor; a bunch of stuff reminds me of LW. Its what should have happened to Modeller. . .a recommendation; if you're a LW user, install with LW shortcuts-- I keep hitting "T" expecting to bring up move. . .

Oddgit
09-20-2004, 07:55 AM
dose your user name on your computer match the username on the luxology site, on mine i registered as Rob Turner, but my computer is Robert Turner :(

nuclearfessel
09-20-2004, 08:48 AM
I would be really interested to know how Modo performs on a 15" powerbook with 1.5 gHz G4

digones
09-20-2004, 08:51 AM
modo is really having problems with OS X or these are just isolated cases?

thanks

nuclearfessel
09-20-2004, 08:53 AM
modo is really having problems with OS X or these are just isolated cases?

thanks
i am thinking it has to be isolated coz it was developed on OS X

Oddgit
09-20-2004, 08:53 AM
i actually got it to work by downloading the pc file and using the .lic file from that, it works now, i cant complain :D

Redshoes
09-20-2004, 09:00 AM
I would be really interested to know how Modo performs on a 15" powerbook with 1.5 gHz G4

Just installed on my 17" PowerBook G4 1.5Ghz (BTO 128MB ATI card)... everything went smoothly, performance is great as well... now launching the tutorials and starting to learn.

Beamtracer
09-20-2004, 09:02 AM
modo is really having problems with OS X or these are just isolated cases?Problems? I don't think the license key is a major problem.

Griffon
09-20-2004, 09:04 AM
Don't know how useful the info really is, but my robot in the wip thread was mostly built on my old 800mhz powerbook....

nuclearfessel
09-20-2004, 09:06 AM
Don't know how useful the info really is, but my robot in the wip thread was mostly built on my old 800mhz powerbook....
:: falls over while orange juice flies out of nose ::

damn you luxology people :)

damn you for bringing it out when i have no money :)

digones
09-20-2004, 09:08 AM
since I havent' tested i I don't know what exactly goes wrong when "license problems" appears.

PS: and I've heard about UV and Subd probs too, but this another story

thanks

Colin de bink
09-20-2004, 10:08 AM
well I have it running on a dual 1.25ghz G4 here
and it works like a charm, when I fire it up it is open in a couple of seconds
haven't had any problems with it like crashing or performance issues or anything like that.

Beamtracer
09-20-2004, 11:04 AM
and I've heard about UV and Subd probs too digones, since you've announced on this Mac thread that there's all these terrible Mac problems with Modo, maybe you should tell everyone exactly what these problems are, and on what authority are you announcing them?

cremegg
09-20-2004, 11:19 AM
digones, since you've announced on this Mac thread that there's all these terrible Mac problems with Modo, maybe you should tell everyone exactly what these problems are, and on what authority are you announcing them?

I don't think there's any need to take that attitude Beamtracer. However people should be carefull about generalising problems. The two items digones mentioned are either single user issues or have potential solutions (http://www.cgtalk.com/showpost.php?p=1587561&postcount=40) .

Beamtracer
09-20-2004, 11:25 AM
I apologize for wording it too strongly. If there are problems with the Mac version I think it's better to be specific, otherwise we don't know whether it is really an issue or not.

Chaz
09-20-2004, 01:07 PM
Yep, it works like a dream.

I believe the instructions said to run the temporary licence command file before you launch Modo. (The download link for the licence file was on the same page as the main Modo download).

So I get a '14 day trial' message now when I launch Modo. Which I guess is how the temporary licence works until I receive my permanent licence number.

aw
That's what I get too.... I think it's supposed to work like that. The purchase page on the Luxology site said that when they ship the actual product, they email you a serial number to get past the 14 day trial dialog.

So far, modo is running beautifully (2Ghz G5 here) and the preview speed is fast! Even more impressive is the thoughfulness put into the way tools work and their feedback. I've been saving a project on the back burner to learn modo with and it's a blast. It's very intuitive to anyone who uses Modeler... I really like that.

qral
09-20-2004, 01:08 PM
Modo works fine on my PB 1 ghz. I am so thankful... :beer: finally a beautiful 3d app on my mac!

cryo
09-20-2004, 03:20 PM
runs pretty smooth on my PB 15" 1.25 . very slick. haven't been this excited about a 3d app since I got my first copy of LW so many years ago. Great work Luxology!

lluistar
09-20-2004, 03:29 PM
Yep, great in an Dual 2GHz G5. and fine enough on a Powerbook Ti 400 MHz with 8MB of VRam. It crashed few times though. But workable on small models.

salut,

Oddgit
09-20-2004, 04:14 PM
yeah, outside of me having to tweek with the lic file it works great!

rbird01
09-30-2004, 01:28 AM
I've not given modo a lot of time, yet, but compared to my experience with LW 7 through 8 -- and with the same .lwo files -- it seems "slightly" slower. I emphasize the slightly, because I can't really pin that down discretely. You know... sometimes things just "feel" a little bit muddy?

On the bright side: haven't yet encountered any serious technical difficulties.

Related info: I'm running OS X 10.3.5 with 1 GB RAM on 1 GHz PowerPC G4 PowerBook with 1MB L3 Cache.

onlooker
09-30-2004, 03:18 AM
I installed mine on an 867Mhz G4 QS_SP, and I think it runs great. The graphics card I'm using is a Geforce 3 TI, and I don't have any trouble yet.

Studio Dweller
09-30-2004, 09:09 PM
I've installed it on both a Powerbook G4 1.33GHz and a G5 Dual 2.5GHz. It works extremely well and is much faster than Modeler. I opened the Hippo model on the G5, subdivided it a few times until it was over a million polys and only then did it get a little sluggish in the perspective window. Pretty amazing. Oh yeah, and I absolutely love the interface. Very excited about digging into this app.

chrisdz
10-01-2004, 03:47 AM
I'm having excellent luck so far with Modo on my OSX machine. It occasionally goes poof and just quits, but I would say that has happened about 4 times in 20+ hours of modeling, and I'm used to saving often from Lightwave Modeler so I've never lost any work.

About the only thing I've run into so far is Modo corrupting lightwave-applied textures. If you texture your models and have everything just the way you want it, either create a new instance of the model if you have to pull it back into modo, or save your textures out as files so that you can reapply them with a minimum of hassle if they break.

It doesn't happen all the time, and I can't narrow down specifically what set of circumstances causes it to happen or I'd let you know what to avoid.

florianf
10-12-2004, 05:24 PM
Running beautifully on my Titanium 1Ghz PowerBook driving a new 23" display. No install or license issues.

Jimzip
11-13-2004, 08:29 AM
What's the tweak with the .lic file?
I just bought and downloaded my copy, but every time I open I get:

The current License Code is Invalid
License Error Code: -8

I'm not sure what I should do. I reinstalled both modo and then the license after deleting all prefs and other files, but it still happens..
Any help much appreciated.

Jimzip :D

Edit:
I downloaded the windows license file, and replaced my .lic file with the Windows one, works like a charm. Just as reference to anyone else that has this problem.
Cheers,

Jimzip :D

Nigel Baker
11-16-2004, 02:33 PM
I just received my modo yesterday.
Started working with it today. Very happy with it. At first I got a License trial message with it but I ran the script again and it does not appear. As for the performance on the mac i am very happy with it. At present i am rendering four FPrime images of a very intense model in LW Layout (V8) and learning the tutorials while in modo. Feels good and I love that small 360 degree rotation with the ( / key ).

Thamks luxology

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.