PDA

View Full Version : Simeon Rex Updates

DavidKwok
08-10-2002, 02:22 PM
For those who has not seen the pilot episode of Simeon Rex,
sneak peaks QT clips has been updated on the Simeon Rex
website. Now there's all 18 clips of video uploaded.

http://www.simeonrex.com/

Dave

lildragon
08-10-2002, 06:10 PM
Very stylish I like the martial arts :), I just hope it doesn't turn out to be another Action man (which was really good at the beginning) or *shudder* Max Steel

salud!

talos72
08-10-2002, 06:45 PM
Impressive stuff. I like the designs and the mocap seems to work really well. May I ask what pieces of software was used for animation, FX, and rendering?

PAL
08-10-2002, 07:12 PM
Cool! I like it!

You used motion capture sometimes , isn't it?

great anyway! :applause:

Dominique
08-10-2002, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by DavidKwok
For those who has not seen the pilot episode of Simeon Rex,
sneak peaks QT clips has been updated on the Simeon Rex
website. Now there's all 18 clips of video uploaded.

http://www.simeonrex.com/

Dave

DavidKwok
08-10-2002, 08:53 PM
Everything was done entirely in 3d Studio max. Lip syn Magpie Pro. Editing Premiere and After Effects. A lot of compositing works usng premiere and after effects.

We realise that we have made a lot of mistakes due to shortage of time and budget. With those low end PC, its testing your patience. Out of 28 mins (uncut), 3 mins fighting sequence were mocap. The hardest part is blending hand animate with mocap data.

Thks for the compliment. I am sure the artists involved will be very encourage. But we know we need to work harder.

Thks. Glad you like it.

talos72
08-10-2002, 10:03 PM
"The hardest part is blending hand animate with mocap data."

I can imagine...in fact one of the first things I noticed was how well you pulled the blending of mocap with the manual animation. There must have been a great deal of tweaking with the mocapped sequences afterwards (exaggerating some actions, dampenning others, etc...). I assume the fur on Rex is texture mapped versus actual hair rendering which would add to render time greatly.

santiago
08-11-2002, 04:56 AM
How come most of the voice artists have spanish names?
I find that curious

Leydecker
08-11-2002, 10:38 AM
Hi David,

I really liked clips 5/18. Fast paced action well edited.
the rotating camera...yummie.

cheers

tim

DavidKwok
08-11-2002, 01:47 PM
Thks once again for the comments. We only have P3 733Mhz TNT card, 256 MRam. So it was tough. We did some real fur test at first. Gosh. Its was painful. The rendering time is crazy. So the end product is textured fur.

As for the spanish names? The product was targeted for US market. Its hard to get voice talents who can speak american in asia. Unless you were to get to fly them in from US. That can be very very expensive. Vocie Talents in Philippines are great. They are experience and they speak excellent american accent. I doubt anyone can tell huh! :)

Philippino are of spanish origin. That explains why they have spanish names.

The whole CG team is from Singapore.

Hope to hear more from you all. Thks.

santiago
08-11-2002, 04:22 PM
Ahhh

Now I understand.
I'm from South America, which explains my curiosity.
People from the Phillipines have great voices for singing too, how they love going to karaokes, it's crazy!

I'm happy to see that despite the technical circumstances you folks have been able to make quality animation. The fighting scenes look very good.
Of course, there are several things that need improvement, but I mean, you guys seem to have clearly made a step in the right direction. It should be straight uphill from here! :bounce:
Exciting times eh?
I'm happy for you guys :beer:

DavidKwok
08-11-2002, 07:06 PM
Thks. I am glad we have pulled through. The tough part is business. Hope we will receive some good news. And yes, there are defintely many things need to be improved.

kyo
08-12-2002, 03:33 AM
wow . i'm guessing you guys are really ' inspired ' by the chinese fairy tales of monkey king . really awesome stuff btwy . i'm actually really looking forward to see the release of this .

monkey king is awesome !! woo !

DavidKwok
08-12-2002, 03:58 AM
Yes. You can say that. But the story is entirely different. It is like a Sci-fi Monkey thingie. But the concept is similar to 5th element.

Dave

Alfred
08-12-2002, 04:00 AM
Originally posted by kyo
wow . i'm guessing you guys are really ' inspired ' by the chinese fairy tales of monkey king . really awesome stuff btwy . i'm actually really looking forward to see the release of this .

monkey king is awesome !! woo !

I'd like to thank everyone who has commented on the project.
I'm sure the rest of the team is happy to know the response it's generated.

Simeon Rex has been put on hold for a long time now, since 9/11, our funding have ceased. The chances of a revival is slim, but not impossible.

However, it's not a total loss as we have shown what Singapore can do. Hopefully, this is the beginning of a new industry here.

- Alfred

Bloodwulf
08-12-2002, 11:47 AM
wow you did all that rendering with a tnt card and 256megs of ram.. impressive indeed...

Alfred
08-12-2002, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Bloodwulf
wow you did all that rendering with a tnt card and 256megs of ram.. impressive indeed...

Wrong, we had much better cards, TnT2 to be precise.

A few lucky ones had GeForce2 cards later on in the production.
I had my system upgraded to 512 RAM later as we all know what happens when Max runs out of RAM :)

- Alfred

DavidKwok
08-12-2002, 12:09 PM
Any scene with more than 4 characters will cause the system to crash when rendered. Most scenes take about 10 to 15 mins to open. I am glad its all over now. So left with no choice, we have transferred the rams from some machines to other machines. So some machines will have 512 MRam, some has no Rams.

Alfred
08-12-2002, 12:22 PM
As they say, the show must go on.

Thinking back at what we all went through, I don't know wether to laugh or cry.

d3v1n
08-12-2002, 01:56 PM
nice characters..remind me to the ancient chinese myth : journey to the west :D

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.