PDA

View Full Version : Feature List?

cgman27
09-20-2004, 01:36 AM
Color me confused here, but, 1.5 years in development, 700 beans to plunk down and there is no feature list of what I get?

I have seen the videos, that I assume if the program is as deep as they say it is, doesn't quite cut it for me.

I just noticed Pazur posted an image in the WIP thread with a piggy bank and the material editor. This is what sparked it off for me. Materials, great, but I didn't see anything akin to reflection or refraction properties. Are those 5 sliders and a color picker all we get currently?

That is just the start.

Anyone have a link/list of features? Seems kinda odd to be working so long and hype so much not to have a solid list of here is what you get stuff.

Balusilustalu
09-20-2004, 01:54 AM
Good point..

CB_3D
09-20-2004, 02:17 AM
[QUOTE=cgman27]Materials, great, but I didn't see anything akin to reflection or refraction properties. Are those 5 sliders and a color picker all we get currently?

QUOTE]

I assume you´ll get that with the renderer. Modo is a modeler only and that´s what it focuses on. But yeah, i´d like a feature list, too, if only to show to our software buyer.

AmbiDextrose
09-20-2004, 02:22 AM
Either that or a downloadable manual. But wouldn't that be a little bit wierd- the manual's are downloadable but no demo ;).

cgman27
09-20-2004, 11:26 PM
Materials, great, but I didn't see anything akin to reflection or refraction properties. Are those 5 sliders and a color picker all we get currently?

I assume you´ll get that with the renderer. Modo is a modeler only and that´s what it focuses on. But yeah, i´d like a feature list, too, if only to show to our software buyer.
While I understand that, it appears that the modeller portion does allow surface editing as it were.

My beef was more along the lines of what can I expect, not just what are the cool features as seen in the videos. I need to be able to justify to my accountant what I am getting for said price.

It should be easy enough for them to whip out a list, or even someone else who has the software at this point.

yog
09-20-2004, 11:52 PM
It should be easy enough for them to whip out a list, or even someone else who has the software at this point.

I think anyone, including Luxology, would be hard pressed to make a feature list that would look exciting, or capture a fraction of how good this program is to use.

For example I just spent the last half hour experimenting with just move, rotate, falloffs and action centres. Now that is only four things on a list, but the combination of the four things gave me some really impressive options, especially falloffs and action centres being altered at the same time. And even then I have only covered a fraction of what those four tools are capleble of.

One part of me hopes that the guys from Lux hurry up and bring out a demo, because it is too hard to explain how the different tools combine with just words.
Then again another part of me says, put the demo on the back burner and give me some more great tools :twisted: ;)

Dion Burgoyne
09-20-2004, 11:58 PM
Yeah, the possible combinations of just the basic combinations is 729 so it's really hard to lay out how many possible ways modo can manipulate geometry, it's in the hundreds of thousands I'm sure... Not to say that we aren't working on a feature list that will make sense to people not working with the software, but the videos that are up, and the ones that are being made will show it better.

richcz3
09-21-2004, 01:08 AM
I have to say that cgman is not making an unusual request. It's great to read some testimonials but there isnt a Tools or feature list. There has to be a list. I could write one up for Lightwaves Modeler if I had to.

I imagine cgman and myself are in the same boat. It's a question of cost to the anticipated benefits. We would prefer to know than assume. I am using Lightwave and ZBrush right now. What TOOLS are in Modo that I would want integrate into my modeling pipeline. Let us know how this program differentiates itself from what we already have.

Lets start with

Are there any sculpting tools?

richcz3

Dion Burgoyne
09-21-2004, 01:20 AM
Yes, modo will allow you to sculpt deformations into your model in several ways.

1. using the push tool with the airbrush falloff will stretch out your geometry or push it in wherever you click and drag, the effect is painting deformations into your model (or pulling them out)

2. Using the airbrush falloff with any tool produces interesting results, extrudes, bevels, etc... painting geometry onto a model in a very organic way

So as far as a sculpt "tool" we have presets that will perform sculpting actions... As everything in modo is built up from action center to falloff to tool and is augmented with constraints and snaps.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.