PDA

View Full Version : First Plugin???

drkollossus
09-19-2004, 04:24 PM
So, this may be a little premature, but now that it is out, (and judging by the activity in this thread, Seems to me generating quite a bit of interest), what do you think is missing, or what would you add as the very first plug in for Modo? Is there a plug in that you use in another package that you can t live with out? Knowing a little about the underlying architecture I can’t wait to see how developers imaginations improve this already strong first version.

SheepFactory
09-19-2004, 06:33 PM
An edge\vertex slide plugin would be very nice.

ChristianFischer
09-19-2004, 07:01 PM
thats also on my wishlist...
also a plugin to fix the symmetry when it gets lost, lattices and a bridge plugin would be nice.

and one thing that probably can't be done via a plugin is configurable mouse keys (including the scroll wheel)!!!

kursad_pileksuz
09-19-2004, 07:36 PM
if you goto form editor, you should be able to configure mouse keys

Kvaalen
09-19-2004, 07:51 PM
If I had Modo, you'd probably have a couple scripts by now. :)

ChristianFischer
09-19-2004, 09:24 PM
hi kursad

could you go a bit more into detail ... i don't know how i could achieve this.
what i'm trying to do is to map the different navigation tools to the LMB, MMB and RMB.
i want orbit to be alt+RMB, alt+MMB should be zoom and alt+LMB pan ...

Headcrash
09-19-2004, 09:31 PM
What exactly do you mean by this? Could you describe in a little more detail?

markdc
09-19-2004, 09:42 PM
So, this may be a little premature, but now that it is out, (and judging by the activity in this thread, Seems to me generating quite a bit of interest), what do you think is missing, or what would you add as the very first plug in for Modo? Is there a plug in that you use in another package that you can t live with out? Knowing a little about the underlying architecture I canít wait to see how developers imaginations improve this already strong first version.

Did it come with an SDK?

jangell
09-19-2004, 11:31 PM

The form editor's Menu Editor section allows you to assign forms to mouse buttons in some areas of the app, allowing pie menus, popup/context menus and popover windows to be opened on a modified mouse click. This currently humble selection and the related functionality will be expanded drastically in the future.

-- Joe

drkollossus
09-19-2004, 11:42 PM
If I under stand correctly, it's there called "Edge Slice" (tool.set "edge.knife" "off").

JDex
09-19-2004, 11:48 PM
Did it come with an SDK?
In development...

c-g
09-20-2004, 12:38 AM
If I under stand correctly, it's there called "Edge Slice" (tool.set "edge.knife" "off").
That really isn't the same thing. The way you can slide the cut is what people want though. You could use the element action center set to the edge you want to slide a vertex around.

kursad_pileksuz
09-20-2004, 01:17 AM
if i understand correctly you want an edge slide like the one in wings 3d, which is an awesome thing, modo does not have it , and it is in feature request for next version of modo. i think edge slide works wonderful in wings3d , even in maya it is not that slick and precise

SheepFactory
09-20-2004, 01:28 AM

No edge slide is a tool that slides the edge or points on the edge of your choice while preserving the tangengy and it auto resizes the edge while sliding.

its a extremely helpful tool while rearranging edges and loops.

SheepFactory
09-20-2004, 01:30 AM
That really isn't the same thing. The way you can slide the cut is what people want though. You could use the element action center set to the edge you want to slide a vertex around.

yes but first thats not intuitive like a interactive slide tool , in wings i can slide edge after edge without selecting them one by one and invoking the tool again and again , and second it does not resize the edge to fit between the rail edges.

Zithen
09-20-2004, 02:35 AM
What is the official word on the SDK? How will you be able to create tools in Modo?

yinako
09-20-2004, 03:52 AM
even in maya it is not that slick and precise Insensitive~!!! Maya doesn't have an edge slide, unless you want to one vertex at a time on an edge...:/

Levitateme
09-20-2004, 04:10 PM
an edge slide would be really nice like sheep said, maybe brad and them can look at byron poly tools. it lets you slide edges with "distance" so you can slide, or slide with a falloff, also his upcoming beta will slide with vertices,. it would also be nice if the slide had some nice options besides falloff, like move along normals is really nice too.

SheepFactory
09-20-2004, 04:17 PM
Another VERY important request would be "Connect" :

You select edges and hit connect , it automaticly splits and creates edges between the selected edges , so you dont have to go in with the split tool and do it one by one.

I was talking with a friend who bought modo and he said there is no way to do this in modo. I think coupled with slide this was probably the most used tool when I was modelling.

ThomasMahler
09-20-2004, 04:22 PM
Another VERY important request would be "Connect" :

You select edges and hit connect , it automaticly splits and creates edges between the selected edges , so you dont have to go in with the split tool and do it one by one.

I was talking with a friend who bought modo and he said there is no way to do this in modo. I think coupled with slide this was probably the most used tool when I was modelling.

There's no connect in Modo?? Is that true?

Than that would be the MOST important thing I'd like to see in Modo - During Modeling I'm always connecting Edges and verts. Think about adding edgeLoops: In other modelers I'm selecting EdgeRings and just hit "c" to connect them. If I had to use the Split tool all the time for something like that I'd go crazy in no time.

ChristianFischer
09-20-2004, 04:29 PM
Think about adding edgeLoops: In other modelers I'm selecting EdgeRings and just hit "c" to connect them.

you can add edgeloops by using the loop slice tool ..
select a loop .. execute the tool .. define the position of the new loop or add several loops at a time.
ps: but i would like to skip the first step in this process ... why not activate the tool and slice different edges just by clicking on them?!

During Modeling I'm always connecting Edges and verts.

you can connect verts but no edges unfortunately .. at least i didn't find a way

SheepFactory
09-20-2004, 04:40 PM
you can add edgeloops by using the loop slice tool ..
select a loop .. execute the tool .. define the position of the new loop or add several loops at a time.
ps: but i would like to skip the first step in this process ... why not activate the tool and slice different edges just by clicking on them?!

you can connect verts but no edges unfortunately .. at least i didn't find a way

Had my friend try that already , unfortunately loop slice tool is not restricted to the selected edges only. It goes around the whole model. You can select the faces , hide unselected , than loop slice the visible faces from what my friend told me but than the last middle vertex it leaves is unconnected to the geometry and creates holes.

This is a VERY VERY important limitation that should be fixed asap in my honest opinion. It also goes against the "model with the speed of thought" mantra of modo. a simple operation like connect should not take 6 clicks.

ChristianFischer
09-20-2004, 04:53 PM
Had my friend try that already , unfortunately loop slice tool is not restricted to the selected edges only. It goes around the whole model. yes i know .. i was referring to thomas who spoke of edgeloops :)

a simple operation like connect should not take 6 clicks.
true .. another thing that would be nice in addition to connect would be a range select like in xsi.
select one poly ... select another one ... and all polygons in between get selected.
then you could execute the connect command to add the edges .. voila :)

ThomasMahler
09-20-2004, 04:58 PM
yes i know .. i was referring to thomas who spoke of edgeloops :)

That was just an example. I want to be able to quickly select (ever used Wings?) edges and connect them without having to think about _anything_. Really, basic operations like Connect, Extrude, Bevel, etc. should _just_ work. If you have to refine your model, you're using these tools all the time, I don't want to be constricted to a slice or whatever, that'd slow me down.

true .. another thing that would be nice in addition to connect would be a range select like in xsi.
select one poly ... select another one ... and all polygons in between get selected.
then you could execute the connect command to add the edges .. voila :)

Couldn't you just use Select More? Haven't tried Modo yet, but that looked pretty fast in the vids.

ChristianFischer
09-20-2004, 05:03 PM
Couldn't you just use Select More? Haven't tried Modo yet, but that looked pretty fast in the vids.
sure you could .. but range select is way faster.

Griffon
09-20-2004, 05:22 PM
That was just an example. I want to be able to quickly select (ever used Wings?) edges and connect them without having to think about _anything_. Really, basic operations like Connect, Extrude, Bevel, etc. should _just_ work.

Almost any tool that can, ie. bevel, extrude, does work on polys, edges and vertices.

SheepFactory
09-20-2004, 05:52 PM
Hi Eric ,

One last tool that comes to mind:

Does modo have a "Flatten" tool? It pretty much flattens the selected vertex's on the given axis. Extremely useful tool when modelling hard surface shapes. I think you said it does at the IRC but i dont remember..?

Cheers ,

cryo
09-20-2004, 06:04 PM
Hi Eric ,

Does modo have a "Flatten" tool? It pretty much flattens the selected vertex's on the given axis. Extremely useful tool when modelling hard surface shapes. I think you said it does at the IRC but i dont remember..?

there is a set position tool that should do what you are looking for, its on the vertex tab.

SheepFactory
09-20-2004, 11:19 PM
there is a set position tool that should do what you are looking for, its on the vertex tab.

nah it doesnt do that , but forgot about macros. Problem easily solved.

*crosses off flatten from the list :)

Oddgit
09-21-2004, 02:52 AM
are you guys thinking of an edge loop split like in mjPolyTool for maya? That would be a pretty rocking plugin. I was also thinkin if Newtek ever gets hub working a live link to Lightwave would be a pretty sweet plugin, kinda like Maxon's BodyPaint.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.