PDA

View Full Version : Usage of 2D MoBlur and motion vectors

Fex
09-19-2004, 03:22 PM
hi all,
have two questions about generating post motion blur with Xsi:
- how to use 2d Motion Blur output shader.
I only see results if there is some 3d MoBlur
then 2d makes the effect stronger and reduces grain
but i like to have pure 2d blur for faster rendering...

- what are motion vector files good for... is there any composting trick needed, like using
float output for masking and then blur this ?

is there a connection between 2d MoBlur shader and motion vector output?
At last any good workflow using gaussian time blur in FXtree..

thx all reading this :)
fex

EdHarriss
09-20-2004, 01:40 PM
- This will help you: http://www.alamaison.fr/3d/lm_2DMV/lm_2DMV.htm

ggg
09-20-2004, 03:21 PM
Render>Pass>Edit>Current Pass(or which ever one)|Output Shader>Add,select 2D_motion_blur from folder x:\Softimage\XSI_4.0\Data\DSPresets\Shaders\Output.
Unfortunately AFAIK mental images has not updated it to use the 15 vectors we can attach to objects or other method to get multiframe, multisegmented motion blur etc.
But the shader does have masking and applys effect by depth and the results look quite good.

You don't need the motion vectors for the 2D output shader.
If generating MVs for post blur you're better off generating your own for most uses anyway like Guy did for the lm2DMV.
(As an aside although not intended for the same thing I prefer the Houdini Tima COP over XSIs guasian time blur for precise control for faking 2D post blur type effects. Besides even with latest QFE I'm one of the unlucky ones that has it crash XSI anyway so its not useable at all here)

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.