PDA

View Full Version : FXWars Avalanche : mdme_sadie

Per-Anders
09-19-2004, 07:24 AM
ok i had a bit of spare time today *yay!*

so i figured i'd have a go at this, both for a bit of fun, and to do some testing of newer storm tracer features as i write em, so it turned out useful too!

anyhow it's far from perfect, loads to perfect particle simulation wise, and i'm sure i totally break a bunch of rules too! messing around with post, keyframing the camera etc, so i hope no-one will mind, and not take this entry too seriously, it's just a fun little test for me. if i get more time tomorrow (as now i'm back on the coding case) i'll be able to mess around more with the particle simulation to make it better, more focused tunnel shapes etc, and of course adding some things to be destroyed :twisted:

oh, and software used - cinema 4d with cebas thinking particles, and storm tracer. adobe after effects, photoshop.

the movie wip test
http://www.peranders.com/c4d8/samples/mov/avalanche01.mov

before post
http://www.peranders.com/c4d8/samples/jpg/ava02.jpg

after post
http://www.peranders.com/c4d8/samples/jpg/ava01.jpg

and additional background info, the mountain is a procedural object, the textures on it are procedural, the sky and the trees in front are bitmaps, and the bird was added in post. i'm sure this is obvious to many but a couple of people have asked.

Triple G
09-19-2004, 10:53 AM
so i hope no-one will mind, and not take this entry too seriously

Tell me you're joking. :hmm: This looks really, really good so far. My only issue with it is that the camera movement is so wild...in my opinion, it detracts from being able to see what's going on and being able to enjoy the beauty of it. I like the idea, but I think it's a bit heavy-handed, that's all. :)

HowardM
09-20-2004, 06:21 AM
OK! I quit, not only this challenge, but LW! :p

Great stuff!

Baq
09-20-2004, 08:56 AM
mdme_sadie: after what I seen I must say- You r the winner.

I quit challenge and fu!@#$^ maya also.

Greetz

Per-Anders
09-20-2004, 10:13 PM
lol... thanks guys, but really it's not that great! only a days work. and i'm sure you could do a lot better. so don't you guys be giving up on this compo yet!

i'd love to add more and get some destruction going, but right now i'm up to it in c++ so there's no way i can fit it in right now :(

hopefully i will get a bit more free time between now and the end of the competition and i can try and finish this off, get it looking a bit better.

Triple G
09-20-2004, 10:52 PM
hopefully i will get a bit more free time between now and the end of the competition and i can try and finish this off, get it looking a bit better.

Hopefully for you maybe...not for the rest of us... :D :p

Braqua
09-21-2004, 10:29 AM
Very nice, but I have a few remarks:
Agree on the shaky camera. Too much shaking and use of out-of-focus-effects may give the impression of a cheap way of hiding stuff. :-)
The snow looks good, but I think it looks a bit too much like steam, or a rampant cloud heading down the hill. The snow isn't...hmmm...menacing enough, if you know what I mean? :-)

InTheCity
09-21-2004, 10:24 PM
I'd been looking for this FX thread since the day I saw it on the front page.

This is wonderfull work man, really excellent stuff.

Per-Anders
09-21-2004, 10:55 PM
eh, front page? only posted this three days ago! hehe you mean the fx wars thing itself, yeah it's kinda hidden away down here in compositing. would be nice if there were some quicklinks to current challenges somewhere on cgtalk frontpage.

thanks.

braque : you're right about the general form of the avalanche, still lots for me to do to the simulation (if i get time that is), defenitely needs some work there, it's really just a matter of time as now i'm too busy coding and manual writing.

personally i like the shakey look, it's meant to be immediate, like someone suddenly spotted this on their oldhand cam! :) and if it covers anything, then that's fine, the point of fx is after all to give an effect. it's a fake in the first place, not necesarily physically accurate, merely the art of making a sequence good enough to decieve the viewer.

policarpo
09-21-2004, 11:04 PM
This is so damn sexy Per!

You better post this gorgeous piece of work on the ST site and make it one of the nifty scenes for all us jokers who bought ST (come one come on come on please!)
Pretty please.:love:

But seriously, this just goes to show us all what happens when good tech is placed in the hands of a good artist...really exceptional work. Thanks for taking the time to show us what is possible with good tools!

I like the shaky handheld nature of the piece, but I want to see it larger and longer of course (ermmm...nevermind). I like the treatment you gave to the film stock. Any chance we could maybe see a before and after post of the Post processing as an animation?

Keep rocking!:twisted:

rendermania
09-22-2004, 01:56 AM
Very impressive indeed. More, more....:bounce:

Braqua
09-22-2004, 06:25 PM
Hehe, don't get me wrong, shaky camera and focus-problems both add a lot to realism. My point was that it might perhaps be a BIT much, which makes it look "fake" again, if you know what I mean. Unless of course the filmer is soiling his pants because of the avalanche... :-)

It is however by far the best entry so far and I'm looking forward to seeing it finished, so keep up the good work!

cgtalkmember
10-11-2004, 09:20 PM
wow is all i can say :D

BartokDesign
10-14-2004, 07:05 PM
Awesome . :bounce:

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.