PDA

View Full Version : Above & Beyond - Vehicle/Character - schmu_20mol

schmu_20mol
08-10-2002, 09:12 AM
geeh....think i just have to join the 2d challenges this time...before explaining my idea i got to add one point....updates will only happen during weekends...doin' my compulsory military service (hope this is the correct expression ;) ) these days...damn this thing :D ....

well...my homemade vehicle mainly consists of a skateboard deck (jupp...nothing special), a set of speakers and a sub-etha-other-people-problems'-field-generator
with an included cd-player :eek: ...yeah now we get special....now 'bout functionability....the skater is as usual on the top of his deck...where his axes should be there are now the 2 speakers and in the middle of the deck you'll find the seoppf-generator....
when the skater jumps upon his board
it automatically activates itself what in fact means that the inset cd is played and due to the music at a high decibel count the board lifts up into the air (about 5 cm)....now you'll probably ask yourself for what is this damn seoppf-generator good for and what is it anyway?

schmu_20mol
08-10-2002, 09:23 AM
the sub-etha-other-people-problems'-field-generator
simply makes the board 'think' that what's true (eg gravity) is not of interest for it....if the skater ollies at a certain height and touches the board with both feet the seoppf-generator makes the board 'think' that there's actually a street in the air where of course none is....with this technique he's able to fly higher and higher....if he wants to do a 'usual trick' with his boards it's also possible if he's not touching the board with his two feet fully...or if he wants to sink he just leaves the board with his feet without olliing it up into the air

....well the first concept scetches will follow this weekend....i'm planning to do trick sequence as final result....

feel free to c&c this thread and the ideas included

schmu_20mol
08-10-2002, 09:56 AM
just for better imagination :surprised

schmu_20mol
08-10-2002, 11:47 PM
just a first line art of my skater...c&c's are welcome

jeroentje
08-10-2002, 11:58 PM
schmu_20mol,
I like the idea of a skateboard powered by extreme noise. Just hope it doesn't play music that has a lot of silent seconds in it. Would be a bumpy ride LOL, but that doesn't matter. Idea's cool and that's what it's all about :thumbsup:

I also think you should work "from the outside in". With that I mean that you should get a rough basic pose, composition and perspective etc. ready before you start detailing. If you start with the main things and detail along the way, it will prevent you from a lot of - later - hard to correct mistakes in the basics of the drawing.
Cheers, jeroentje :beer:

edit - Just trying to help, you asked for c&c, and this was the best tip I thought I could give you ;)

schmu_20mol
08-11-2002, 12:15 AM
thanx for the c&c i really appreciate it...no need for excuses jerontje... i can stand it ;) ... i just started with the face 'coz i just liked to start with it and for compositing reasons it seemed more or less not of interest for me for now....this face will be where my trick sequence pops in .....but i'll keep your suggestion in mind ....keep on c&c me .....i can only learn out my mistakes ;)

schmu_20mol
08-11-2002, 05:56 PM
well normally i cell shade all my pics....this time i tried something diffferent ....as always when i try something new i think it's totally crap....tell me what you think of this...so as always c&c highly appreciated

Ivars
08-11-2002, 08:06 PM
Nice, start, and the concept is super!

Your colouring still looks very cell-shaded. Unless thatīs what you want, you should try using more gradient shadows. (I know I canīt express my thoughts in a way that makes sense)

Looking forward to more updates.

schmu_20mol
08-16-2002, 02:57 PM
back with my update again...as previously said...back to my roots;) ...cell shading ....as always c&c's are appreciated

james_martin
08-19-2002, 07:26 AM
Gota say, awesome concept. As far as your picture so far, your facial features dont line up with the contours of the skull, Its always a good starting point to draw reference contour lines for the eyes, nose and lips, so it'll match with the head. also he seems to missing his ear the top of the ear that connects to the head usually lines up, more or less with the center of the eyes, and the bottom lines up with the tip of the nose. Not looking bad though.

schmu_20mol
08-24-2002, 04:15 PM
thx for the c&c's hope it won't be that obvious when composited ....geeh...just wait for tonight ;)...gonna finish this one....

as an update here's the scetch for the trick sequence.....

jeroentje
08-24-2002, 05:41 PM
Huh? What are you planning here?
You're getting me very curious.
jeroentje :beer:

schmu_20mol
08-24-2002, 07:57 PM
just for a lil imagination ...hehe

well actually it's just a test ....the comp will be like in this pic but the bg will be another - i was just in the mood to play around with some filters ;)

hey jerontje ....now you know what i was planning all the time.... ;)

'nother thing is that the pic got pretty messed up while converting to jpeg...normally it's much sharper and bigger...hehe....when it's finished then i'll put it on some webspace outside so that i can post a hires version of it....

C&C's very appreciated ;)

schmu_20mol
08-25-2002, 11:33 AM
so finally gotta time to play'n'tweak aound.....just a try for my final one....so it's about half finished ;) .....

c&c's higly appreciated

schmu_20mol
08-25-2002, 11:34 AM
damn ...forgot the pic ;)

jeroentje
08-25-2002, 12:10 PM
c&c, yes okay schmu_20mol, c&c...

There are some things that I have a little problem with here, but first let me tell you I still like the idea of a board powered by extremely loud music a lot. It is just that I can not see this back in your last 2 posts. It just seems like a normal skateboarder...

The idea to present it in a collage I like aswell (is that a word in English also? I mean different pieces blending into eachother) and fits nicely with the skateboard feeling. But make the text "Above and Beyond" a graffitti piece then and not this Helvetica-like (?) typeface.

The other thing is, where is the viewer supposed to look at in these 2 pieces? Everything is equally "heavy" and that is confusing. I think it should be better when you make a board with speakers etc. and put it in quite obvious, and then put all the other items less obvious behind and around it to support it.
Cheers, jeroentje :beer:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.