PDA

View Full Version : Modo + ? = Rendered Model

Tim Deneau
09-19-2004, 12:44 AM
Okay, bear with me for a minute, I'm confused.

I know that Modo is strictly a modeler, and the upcoming Nexus application is for rendering, but what about the 'layout' step? Will Nexus let you place lights and cameras around a model, or is that not what a renderer is?

I only render stills, no need for a robust animation package, so having LW seems wasteful to me. If I could sell LW to buy Modo, then wait for Nexus or get a basic renderer of sorts, I would be set.

Is that right? :curious:

nuclearfessel
09-19-2004, 12:54 AM
Okay, bear with me for a minute, I'm confused.

I know that Modo is strictly a modeler, and the upcoming Nexus application is for rendering, but what about the 'layout' step? Will Nexus let you place lights and cameras around a model, or is that not what a renderer is?

I only render stills, no need for a robust animation package, so having LW seems wasteful to me. If I could sell LW to buy Modo, then wait for Nexus or get a basic renderer of sorts, I would be set.

Is that right? :curious:
nexus will deal with animating and rendering everything you model in Modo... in the meantime you still need a renderer/animation package to render/animate what you have created.

Nexus is a ways off. you need need something like LW in the meantime to render.

Kvaalen
09-19-2004, 01:38 AM
If I understood correctly, modo will be part of nexus. No "Layout" and "Modeler".
Just "Nexus" - integrated.

You should keep LW for lighting and rendering for the moment though. Don't sell it and then not be able to present your models rendered! :)

lowkey
09-19-2004, 04:49 PM
regarding 'nexus':

what timeframe do we talk about here? can someone share a guess on when it might be available?

i'm currently planning to build a new system and need to take a choice on software in the very near future.

at the moment i'm all for getting lightwave (osx) and modo, but only if 'nexus' won't be ready for a longer time.

i did not follow development of the apps, so i need some info from someone who's got a little more insight! ;)

thanks a lot

nuclearfessel
09-19-2004, 04:54 PM
regarding 'nexus':

what timeframe do we talk about here? can someone share a guess on when it might be available?

i'm currently planning to build a new system and need to take a choice on software in the very near future.

at the moment i'm all for getting lightwave (osx) and modo, but only if 'nexus' won't be ready for a longer time.

i did not follow development of the apps, so i need some info from someone who's got a little more insight! ;)

thanks a lot
from what i have seen and from Brad's statements at the Apple Paris Expo, Nexus will be next year.

They are still working on it according to him when i asked him.

At this point it could be either mid or late next year... But remember thats speculation on my part... it could be less or more...

with that said, if you need to get something done, buy Modo and LW and just do it

ThePumpkinKing
09-19-2004, 10:00 PM
Well, that's not so bad, since next year is really only 3 months away. By then we should at least have a specific date.

lowkey
09-19-2004, 10:21 PM
yeah, that's really nice!
I'm just too freakin' nosy how this '3d operating system' will work out.

Expectations are high, let's hope for the best. :)

TrexGreg
09-20-2004, 06:47 PM
My "wild" and most optimistic guess, would be that Nexus will be presented in the next Siggraph (2005) and be available around October-December 2005 timeframe...
Just a guess...

webshot
09-20-2004, 06:55 PM
Sorry for my multiple questions in multiple threads. But I am trying not to muck up the board by adding a bunch of questions in the form of new threads. So is there any modelling tools or practices that will not cooperate with LW when it comes to rendering? I cant find the post but someone mentioned ngons and not being able to render in LW. Could someone shed light on that? The hazards of getting modo models into LW for rendering and how to work around it? I am doing research for the company I work for. And since there is no demo I have to research by what others say.

Dion Burgoyne
09-20-2004, 09:19 PM
If your doing research for a company, and you're in silicon valley, you may want to contact us directly at cs@luxology.com :)

webshot
09-20-2004, 10:37 PM
Thanks Dion. Just drop them a line. Kinda cool that I am across the bridge from you guys.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.