PDA

View Full Version : Nice idea for the Modo/Nexus programmers

CB_3D
09-18-2004, 11:23 PM
Maybe this already exists in the current version, being all about easy migration and total configurabilty.

Anyway, hereīs my thought.

For beginners coming from another package it would be nice to be able to import the configuration files! I use LW with my very unique menus and shortcuts.
They donīt look like original LW at all, so the LW shapeshift which comes with MODO wonīt help me too much. I am not even able to work with LWs original configuration anymore, thatīs how long iīve been using mine:D .

If i could use my configuration files from Modeler (and for Nexus Layouts CFGs) there would be, almost, no learnig curve at all!

I suppose Maya, Max etc also allow to save menu and shortcut info. That would make the shapeshifting stuff REALLY usefull to get a quick start in this wonderfull looking package!

Just an idea...

kursad_pileksuz
09-19-2004, 12:08 AM
try shortuctting one by one, in a few days you will have everything in the way you want. and do not forget to save your config files . :) i know it is frustrating but really just try exploring tools, meanwhile if the tool you want is same or similar as lightwave, assign the shortcut. and assigning shortcut is never been this easy! run the tool and goto history window and right clik to the command and assign. i am a long time lightwave and maya user
curently modo ended up having shorcuts mix of both maya and lightwave :), would be called inner breeding i guess

Headcrash
09-19-2004, 02:51 AM
There are a number of ways that Modo differs from Lightwave. It is tempting to try to flatten the learning curve by keeping your old style of working, but I think you would miss out on the workflow improvements that Modo brings to the party.

I've been a hardcore LW modeler for the last 11 years, but it only took me a couple of weeks to modify my Modo config into something that allows me to work quickly without strapping myself to a LW-ish way of addressing Modo. I'm using Popover forms, Pie menus, some old LW hotkeys that I can't seem to get rid of ;) My Modo interface is not quite LW, definitely not Maya, but lets me zip around my modeling jobs pretty quickly and easily. I'm constantly working on my config too, so it's still definitely work in progress.

Sometimes letting go of the past is the only way to move forward.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.