PDA

View Full Version : Cool things in Modo no one knows!

SheepFactory
09-18-2004, 09:29 PM
Hi Guys ,

Please post your tips and tricks about Modo in this thread!

TO POST IN THIS THREAD YOU NEED TO SHARE A TIP IN YOUR POST , NO "That Rocks , Thats Cool!" TYPE OF POSTS ALLOWED :)

Please ask questions not in this thread but at the forum.

Pazur
09-18-2004, 09:37 PM
- right click on vert/edge/poly in 3d viewport to quickly switch to the appriopriate (vert/edge/poly) mode
- shift-click on the tab on the modo's toolset to display tab under the mouse without switch to it permanently
- drag and drop an image into 3d viewport to set it as backdrop image for this viewport

pensart
09-18-2004, 09:37 PM
Tip: Try when rotating the viewport to use the rmb instead of the lmb and while rotating the view release the mouse button.
Your model wil now continue to spin until u click it again.
(Its a nice featsure in my opinion)

Pazur: Damn nice tips! simple featsures but they really help the workflow!

Dion Burgoyne
09-18-2004, 10:00 PM
To easily move between verts edges or polys, simply right-click on them (without an active tool). Or right click on an empty space to bring up the quick select.

Make sure that when you activate a tool (or tool preset) that you look at the information window below the viewports (in the default preset) it will tell you what mouse buttons / ctrl / shift etc.. does for that particular tool.

When creating geometry shift-left click will reset and continue the tool, which makes modeling very fast, but be careful it's really easy to forget that you're holding the shift key down :)

Overlapping geometry can sometimes happen, if you do things like cut and paste, and if you paste something down twice and/or you manage to create some extra geometry that you don't want, doing a vertex merge and a polygon unify will cleanup situations like that

Quite a number of the "tool buttons" that you see on the default layout, are actually tool presets, on quite a number of them if you look in the command history at the command that was actually fired when you clicked on the button, there may be arguments fired with it. If you select that command, then look at the input window it will show you all of the arguments. You can then erase all of the arguments and hit enter to refire the command, and modo will ask you what you want to set. Vertex Merge is a good example of this, the default is good for 99% of the time, but if you input vert.merge in the command entry, modo will give you more options.

ChristianFischer
09-18-2004, 10:22 PM
- when using "lasso select" use the RMB to select components in raycast mode and the MMB to select also points/edges/polygons on the back of the object.

- holding down the control key and clicking on a primitive creates the respective primitive without the need of "drawing" the object

pensart
09-18-2004, 10:27 PM
Tip: Hit the "t" key to switch to the (Element move tool).
When active u can freely drag poly's, edges and points without having to select them.
This one is VERY powerfull. Also dont forget to look at the extra info on the bottom of the screen in the tool tips area.

kursad_pileksuz
09-18-2004, 11:41 PM
i think this is one of the best things about modo,

double clicking on an edge will select proper edge loop

Headcrash
09-19-2004, 06:05 AM
All the falloff types work with the Weight Tool, so it's possible to use them to get a smooth falloff with subdiv edge creases.

Nando
09-19-2004, 06:47 AM
Arrow keys

up grows selection

downs shrinks selection

Side keys

Alternate/next loops selections

these work great with the double click selection kursad mentioned. ;)

Phil Lawson
09-19-2004, 12:21 PM
Pressing the "/" key gives you one 360 spin of your model.

robkoni
09-19-2004, 09:03 PM
ok ,double click on an edge,as said before selects an Edge loop :bounce: then use the arrows to select the next loop up or down.....then go to your Perspective view from the dropdown choose refection then give it a spin using Alt right mouse....Whoooaaa...fun...
:hmm: ....well i liked it :shrug:

Dion Burgoyne
09-20-2004, 02:20 AM
The "spikey" tool isn't just for creating spikes, it's also a great way of splitting your polygons directly in the middle.

Along with that, doing a "vertex bevel" is a great way of creating a new circle of geometry surrounding a vertex allowing you to retain the shape of your geometry

The combination of the two will allow you to add a quick hole in a polygon.

sketchguy
09-20-2004, 07:03 PM
If, like me, you are not a fan of trackball rotation (and it's tendency to rotate wildly off axis) you can toggle it off. This, plus using the Maya keymaps makes it much easier to move around.

I never could understand how LW and Alias users put up with breaking their workflow by having to mouse up to the right-hand corner simply to rotate, pan and zoom the camera around! ;)

kursad_pileksuz
09-20-2004, 07:56 PM
pressing pad "0" is going to maximize or minimize any window (3d, layers, tools, etc)

kursad_pileksuz
09-20-2004, 08:45 PM
you can drag and drop images from explorer windows to viewports as background images

Griffon
09-20-2004, 10:42 PM
Turning on view->show falloffs will cause the vertices to colour coded by the influence a falloff has on it.

Dion Burgoyne
09-20-2004, 11:02 PM
Do not fear the "advanced" mode, simply select system - preferences - tool handles and change selected and unselected to "advanced" for more feedback and more control per tool. You'll notice changes in things like UV controls as well

roger
09-20-2004, 11:14 PM
To change the flatness of the Perspective view go to
System->Preferences->Display->OpenGL - Flatness of Perspective
I usually have it set to 55 - 60% when I model characters.

Griffon
09-21-2004, 12:13 AM
Script to export really simple rib file

#!perl

open(fileOUT, ">" . $ARGV[0]);

my @fgLayers = lxq( "query layerservice layers ? fg" );

print fileOUT "WorldBegin\n";

foreach my $layer (@fgLayers) {
****my @polys = lxq( "query layerservice polys ? all" );
****foreach my $poly (@polys)
****{
********print fileOUT "Polygon \"P\" [\n";
********my @verx = lxq( "query layerservice poly.vertList ? $poly");
********foreach my $vert (@verx)
********{
************my @pos = lxq( "query layerservice vert.pos ? $vert");
************foreach my $f (@pos)
************{
****************print fileOUT "$f ";
************}
************print fileOUT "\n";
********}
********print fileOUT "]\n";
****}
}

print fileOUT "WorldEnd\n";
close(fileOUT);

bradpeebler
09-21-2004, 12:51 AM
The Gooch shader and Toon shader are editable ARB shaders. The shader parameters are found in the Resources directory (for Mac people this is inside the Application Bundle. Use Show Package Contents on the modo icon). You can open the Gooch.arb and Toon.arb with any text editor and fiddle with the values to customize the shader.

Pazur
09-21-2004, 10:49 AM
Here's a tip on how to make a nice image viewer for reference images:

1. set 3d view to front and wireframe
2. go to view properties and disable all display options like show vertices, cages, guides, etc. down to show selection outlines. leave independet ceneter, scale and rotate on.
3. choose any viewport scheme color that has a bkg You like or create own with preferences panel and set this scheme for the vp using view/viewport color scheme.
4. put the image You want as a backdrop by dropping in into viewport from windows explorer.
5. now pan and zoom Your reference image :)
6. save viewport as a preset like "reference view" by right clicking on viewport thumb (dot in top left corner) and choosing Save Viewport As.

kursad_pileksuz
09-21-2004, 05:57 PM
also wireframe color needs to be set to none

thnx for the tip Pazur

Here's a tip on how to make a nice image viewer for reference images:

1. set 3d view to front and wireframe
2. go to view properties and disable all display options like show vertices, cages, guides, etc. down to show selection outlines. leave independet ceneter, scale and rotate on.
3. choose any viewport scheme color that has a bkg You like or create own with preferences panel and set this scheme for the vp using view/viewport color scheme.
4. put the image You want as a backdrop by dropping in into viewport from windows explorer.
5. now pan and zoom Your reference image :)
6. save viewport as a preset like "reference view" by right clicking on viewport thumb (dot in top left corner) and choosing Save Viewport As.

ChristianFischer
09-21-2004, 07:25 PM
if you are e.g. in rotate mode and press and hold the mousebutton for this mode you temporarily switch to the select mode.
if you release the button you automatically switch back to the rotate mode :D

markbrown
09-21-2004, 07:37 PM
if you are e.g. in rotate mode and press and hold the mousebutton for this mode you temporarily switch to the select mode.
if you release the button you automatically switch back to the rotate mode :D

...and if you're in select mode you can press and hold a tool hotkey to temporarily activate the tool, when you release the key (after making an edit) you will be returned to select mode again.

-Mark
Luxology LLC

kursad_pileksuz
09-22-2004, 03:43 AM
shift-tab for old lightwave style metanurbs. but this mode wont show up ngons properly, basically you will see holes if yuo have ngons

kursad_pileksuz
09-22-2004, 09:31 PM
space tool if for changing selection modes

"Q or q" is for dropping operation

i read some post , seemed like people were confused about this. but if you want you can use space for dropping too

pabloD
09-22-2004, 11:07 PM
Unlike Delete, Backspace will remove Edges without affecting neighboring geometry.

Ctrl+Backspace will Collapse any selection.

If you have geometry selected, holding the Alt while clicking on the Vertices/Edges/Polygons selection buttons converts the current selection to which ever mode you. i.e. if you select a bunch of polygons then hold down the Alt key you will notice that the all selection buttons above the 3d viewport except the Material will change to say Convert. if you click on the Vertices button then all the vertices connected to the current poly selection will be selected.

If you have Polygons or Vertices selected, holding down Ctrl while clicking on the Edges selection button will select the boundary edges of the current Vertex or Polygon selection.

Holding down Shift+Alt while clicking on Vertices/Edges/Polygons will add the selection conversion to any previously selected geometry of the same time.

It is not necessary to deselect a current selection to make a new one. Simply select the new geometry. Modo will automatically clear the old selection first. This may not be obvious to Lightwave users.

http://www.podagraph.com

SheepFactory
09-23-2004, 04:57 AM
Hitting the + and - keys after hitting TAB will increase and decrease the subdivision level.

drkollossus
09-23-2004, 06:10 AM
Ok I was about to make a feature request then I found this in the refrenace Docs:

In any color swatch, 3 numbers are displayed, each between 0 and 1. These represent RBG values. You can click and drag on any of these numbers directly to modify the color, which is displayed interactively in the background of the swatch as you move the mouse.

Holding down ALT during this operation allows for additional color navigation:
ALT + LMB: left-right movement = brightness
ALT + LMB: up-down movement = saturation

But I seem to have a bug of some sort:

ALT + LMB: left Right movment OR Up down Movement = Saturation.
CTRL + LMB: left Right movment OR Up down Movement = Hue.
But nothing I did seems to effect Brightness.

kursad_pileksuz
09-23-2004, 07:37 AM
type this one in command window or press F5 and paste there

openURL "http://www.skop.com/brucelee/"

enjoy

jangell
09-23-2004, 07:51 AM
ALT + LMB: left Right movment OR Up down Movement = Saturation.
CTRL + LMB: left Right movment OR Up down Movement = Hue.
But nothing I did seems to effect Brightness.

Shift adjusts the brightness.

-- Joe

chrom
09-23-2004, 08:41 AM
if u switch to maya navigation like me and when u press alt + LMB the viewport still rotate like lightwave/modo default/ go to the top of the view and press the button near the perspective button / in my case is "shaded"/, then uncheck the TrackBall Rotation.Everything is cool now and u can rotate the view like maya - max style.

idilek
09-23-2004, 02:48 PM
/ = Wireframe None
Ctrl + / = Wireframe Colored
Shift + / = Wireframe Uniform

lluistar
09-23-2004, 02:55 PM
(Numeric Pad) / = Wireframe None
Ctrl + (Numeric Pad) / = Wireframe Colored
Shift + (Numeric Pad) / = Wireframe Uniform

/ alone equals turntable

Salut,
lluis

drkollossus
09-23-2004, 03:20 PM
Shift adjusts the brightness.

-- Joe
Thanks Joe I'm finding that the answers to my questions are offten right under my nose.

Brad

c-g
09-23-2004, 03:31 PM
/ = Wireframe None
Ctrl + / = Wireframe Colored
Shift + / = Wireframe Uniform
For all the people watching their model spin around :) That is the "/" on the numeric keypad.

Thanks for the tip Triton

jangell
09-23-2004, 03:52 PM
For all the people watching their model spin around :) That is the "/" on the numeric keypad.

I'm personally a fan of Wobblevision, or as it is more humbly known, Oscillate. Select it from the "options" GL popup (the second one in the header that probably says "Texture" or "Wireframe" or something), then alt-rmb-drag your mouse in the 3D viewport to define the wobble range. Let go and watch the wobbly wackiness.

-- Joe

c-g
09-23-2004, 03:58 PM
I like it too, I usually free wheel the model though.

I just wanted to let people know since the "/" in question is way ... over...there.. :)

kursad_pileksuz
09-23-2004, 05:59 PM
wobble is neat, giving me new ideas about my model :)

you can disable the selection filling in poly display mode, and just have around edges, can be less distracting.
goto where shading modes are in your view, it should be on top of your window and semi transperent icon. select properties and disable selection filling

johnL
09-23-2004, 09:18 PM
Hover your mouse over a polygon and hit "Home". Bingo! You just fitted your Work Plane to Selection! PageUp and PageDn move the plane back and forth. Hit "End" and the Work Plane returns to it's normal position.

Using the Work Plane and positioning the Work Plane with "Home" will help keep you working in the perspective window and reduce the need for using the so-very-20th-century quad window setup. Very, very cool.

durexlw
09-24-2004, 11:19 AM
To make a tube pretty fast, you can use the Torus Primitive:
Set the segments to 5 and the Bulge Top to an extreme high value.

Bear in mind that the top of the tube will only be an approximation. It won't be visible to the eye, but no perfect 90°. You can fix that by setting value of the vertexes, wich can still be alot faster than making you own tube.

Cheers,
Andy

leuey
09-30-2004, 05:59 AM
Haven't gotten my docs yet so ya'll probably know all these things.

1. when drawing a primitive draggin w/ right mouse button up/down and left/right increases/decreases segments (used to have to arrow in Modeler and post-edit in Maya, so it's cool you can do it on the fly)

2. and this is really neat b/c I did it by accident. '0' on the numeric keypad maximizes your viewport (like in LW) - but you can hit '0' on ANY viewport to maximize it. I did this on vertex lists on accident and boom - full screen. Pretty cool.

***this is really usefull w/ command history if you have a smaller monitor - hover over the little command dialog on the lower right of the standart 4 port modo layout and hit '0' - your command history comes up fullscreen.

3. drag and drop an image from explorer right onto a material and it automatically brings up the UV widget and assigns the image to the material. again, did this by accident while assigning a backdrop to the viewport. cool

-Greg

Dion Burgoyne
09-30-2004, 06:54 PM
Material Control not in the default material editor.

Try this, Open up your material editor (F4)

Split the Material Properties viewport (hold ctrl while left click and drag down from the thumb)

So now you'll have two Material Properties viewports.

On the title bar of one of them, right click and select "Texture Properties"

Dion Burgoyne
09-30-2004, 07:04 PM
Selecting open ends quickly....

One of the programmers showed me this recently....

Create a Unit Box, Select and delete one of the faces

Without anything selected, hold down the control key and select "convert to edge boundry" (edge select button + ctrl)

modo has gone through and selected all of the open ends on your model. Excellent for quickly selecting any open holes on your model.

On top of that...

Create a unit sphere, select a dozen or so poly's all over the model (make sure that no two are touching)
Ctrl-X to delete them

Without anything selected hold down ctrl and hit the edge selection button

All of the borders around all of the holes have been selected.

Hit "p"

Wee little time saver....

roger
09-30-2004, 08:11 PM
Selecting open ends quickly....

One of the programmers showed me this recently....

Create a Unit Box, Select and delete one of the faces

Without anything selected, hold down the control key and select "convert to edge boundry" (edge select button + ctrl)

modo has gone through and selected all of the open ends on your model. Excellent for quickly selecting any open holes on your model.

On top of that...

Create a unit sphere, select a dozen or so poly's all over the model (make sure that no two are touching)
Ctrl-X to delete them

Without anything selected hold down ctrl and hit the edge selection button

All of the borders around all of the holes have been selected.

Hit "p"

Wee little time saver.... That's cool!
Thanks Dion! :thumbsup:

harlan_hill
09-30-2004, 08:30 PM
Yeah, and in addition, you can then Alt+Polygon click to convert the edge boundary selection to Polygons, then use Spikey (with a value of roughly .065 based on the Unit Sphere) to "replace" the points you previously deleted. ;)

kursad_pileksuz
10-01-2004, 05:16 AM
my macro script will fake poly cage method in modo. basically you will have half polygon model half subd model in the same view (mirrored). you will be able to do vertex and edge operations, deform operations etc. only draw back is that you cannot select any polygons and work with polygons. this is a cheat method not an implemented feature by luxology as far as i know. it works because due to the way symmetry handles objects in modo, i think based on coordinates of vertices. that is why you cannot work in poly mode. but you can use element tool or drag tools etc on polygons without hesistation as far as i know. just do not select any polygon and aply operations and assume that it will appear on other side. actually you can work on polygons, just you need to select both sides manually if you want to apply lets say bevel, in theory bevel will create equal vertices in each side

it wont be like other softwares implemented features like mayas. but it is pretty good start, and can be cool to use it at least once in a while to check out your model in shaded cage model. well if you do not like it you can just enable wireframe cage anytime anyways

make sure that you have half of the model ready to go, and you have just one half and it should be in subd, if not otherside will appear as subd. great thing about this is that, you can just press tab and otherside will become opposite :)

i came up with tthe idea because there were alot of people on the board wanted such feature, i am hoping this one came close

and this works base on symmetry x

if you want other axis, manipulate the macro, or record one for yourself

#LXMacro#
select.symmetryAxis "off"
select.invert
tool.set "actr.pivot" "on"
tool.set "poly.mirror" "on"
tool.setAttr "center.pivot" "cenX" [0 m]
tool.setAttr "center.pivot" "cenY" [0 m]
tool.setAttr "center.pivot" "cenZ" [0 m]
tool.doApply
select.nextMode
select.invert
poly.convert "face" "subpatch" [1]
select.symmetryAxis "x"

Dion Burgoyne
10-02-2004, 12:25 AM
If you create a copy of your "Record Macro" button and put it into "Modo Modes" you will now have an easily accessible record button, but more importantly, it will be lit while you're recording

joo
10-12-2004, 09:20 AM
1. In Form Editor, expand the Quick-Access Popover (by click the little tri on the left)
2. Click the Tool Properties > right click select Duplicate
3. Drag this newly duplicated Form out as a independent Form.
4. Click-pause-click to change the name, lets say 'Numeric panel'
5. Change the attribute properties Style to 'Default'
6. F2 Key Editor in Commands tab under Popover Forms, double click the 'Numeric panel' map a hot key for it. Bingo!

Cheers,

Joo

the_podman
10-15-2004, 08:00 AM
If, like me, you are not a fan of trackball rotation (and it's tendency to rotate wildly off axis) you can toggle it off. This, plus using the Maya keymaps makes it much easier to move around.

I never could understand how LW and Alias users put up with breaking their workflow by having to mouse up to the right-hand corner simply to rotate, pan and zoom the camera around! ;)
I would like to know how to do this, please! It's hard to work like that :)

nuclearfessel
10-15-2004, 07:42 PM
sketchguy[/b]]

I never could understand how LW and Alias users put up with breaking their workflow by having to mouse up to the right-hand corner simply to rotate, pan and zoom the camera around!
eh? in LW you dont need to go all the way to the upper right of the viewports to rotate, pan or zoom... you hold down ALT to rotate, ALT-SHIFT to zoom and ALT-CTRL to pan...

and Maya has a key setup for that as well

Modo is makes it more refined in a way and hopefully we will see more of a progression to a Wings3d/Mirai workflow where all you need is the mouse to rotate, pan, and zoom :)

the_podman
10-15-2004, 08:51 PM
Wait, I'm confused. What I meant was, when I set modo up to use MAYA style controls, it's almost the same except for when I hold Alt+LMB to rotate around the model, it rotates in a weird way in which it's hard to keep the floor grid strait. I want it to be able to rotate and tumble around the world plane, but when I simply tumble around the mesh, it's hard to get the camera to be strait again. Sorry, I suck at explanations.

-pod

Nemoid
10-17-2004, 01:19 PM
some of u could be used to Maya or Lw rotating and Panning workflow, . as for rotating i like also the z brush way to do it, especially for working into a single view. holding shift and rotate the mesh with mouse towards right or any orthogonal direction turns the view to be ortho. very handy and fast way to switch between views in a single viewport. :)

Griffon
10-17-2004, 08:59 PM
Wait, I'm confused. What I meant was, when I set modo up to use MAYA style controls, it's almost the same except for when I hold Alt+LMB to rotate around the model, it rotates in a weird way in which it's hard to keep the floor grid strait. I want it to be able to rotate and tumble around the world plane, but when I simply tumble around the mesh, it's hard to get the camera to be strait again. Sorry, I suck at explanations.

-pod

It's at the bottom of the second "pill" menu in the viewport.

h4sh
10-23-2004, 12:44 AM
[QUOTE=markbrown]...and if you're in select mode you can press and hold a tool hotkey to temporarily activate the tool, when you release the key (after making an edit) you will be returned to select mode again.

now, is there any way to do this without holding the key? like in other apps, so:
if you're in edit mode and click outside manipulator you temporaily switch to selection mode, and then it comes back to edit mode.

so just like what maya does, for example.

ambient-whisper
10-30-2004, 02:12 AM
how do you do something based on selection ( scripting wise. ) like if i have a "polygon" selected, do this... if its a vertex.... do this...if edge..do this... etc.

im trying to make a mirai context menu for fun, thats why im asking. only thing im missing is this, and the ability to customize the mouse buttons for the menu. like if i left click i will get so and so option... if i right click i will get something else.. if i press ctrl+lmb i will get something else still. oh. and the ability to have the menu dissapear right after i press a button. so i dont have to enable a tool.. go out of the menu... and then use the tool in the viewport ( sometimes i still have to activate the tool after the menu ). not the most intuitive process.

kursad_pileksuz
11-11-2004, 10:04 PM
locking polygons-selections that you wont modify during the modelling session is going to improve your speed alot , depens on how much you lock , but it helps me alot in subd mode

seneca
12-08-2004, 01:52 AM
Going back to how the trackball rotation system works:

A friend of mine didn't know that if you're ALT-LMB-dragging vertically on the very far right hand side of the 3d viewport, it will spin the viewport, so you can actually spin the window to how you want it.

I'm totally addicted to trackball rotation, but if I didn't know that feature existed, I'd probably hate it as well. :P

(and of course, you don't have to be dragging on the right hand side of the window OR vertically, you just have to be dragging along the outer edge of the window... I was only saying that so I could make sure you'd be doing it right in the test you'd perform..)

Dion Burgoyne
01-15-2005, 07:47 PM
You can drag images directly from web pages and drop them into the background of your models!

Dion Burgoyne
01-21-2005, 09:26 PM
The Default UV Relax is based off of the length of the edges in your model, so if you find that Relaxing is not smoothing out your UV's, try and scale the Physical model down to 10% of it's original size and Relaxing again!

kelleyperry@comcast.net
02-06-2005, 08:16 PM
incrementally controls global brightness(Gamma?) of not only modo, but seems to control monitor brightness as well. shift+alt+c puts it back. Still not sure if i got it back to where it should be.

loocas
02-10-2005, 07:09 AM
Alt+C? That's a cutting tool isn't it?! :eek:

c-g
02-10-2005, 01:15 PM
control+c is copy, alt+c is loop slice and shift+alt+c is nothing.

It sounds like someone is finding hotkeys for their video driver.

ThePumpkinKing
03-21-2005, 08:59 PM
- when using "lasso select" use the RMB to select components in raycast mode and the MMB to select also points/edges/polygons on the back of the object.

- holding down the control key and clicking on a primitive creates the respective primitive without the need of "drawing" the object

Is there anyway I can can change it so that mmb selects things in raycast mode and RMB selects thing on the back of an object? Becuase that would really help my workflow.

glassefx
05-05-2005, 04:42 PM
I love Modo and the original LW.. Anyway.. I READ THIS WHOLE THREAD to make sure nobody had mentioned this... Also this is going to help because alot of you are bickering about the "clumsy" trackball rotation... Its the BEST I swear... Here is the A-Ticket..

When your just moving your cursor onto the 3d modeling screen inside Modo imagine their is a big umm Trackball or just a ball inside of the screen with its center being in the center of the model if you hit A... You can grab the ball at any point 3d-like and rotate it like its a ball.. imagine grabing a ball on its side.. It's gonna spin like a bitch... Instead of side replace with balls outter realms.. or edges even though their are none. Anyway if yuou grab the ball in the perfect center its going to be sensitive also.. imagin trying to rotate a ball from its center.. Way Doable BUT WAY sensitive... Now for the really cool part. "G"

it re-centers this trackball where ever your cursor is inside the model screen.. its 3d like too and it will take a minute to get it down but I promise you'll love it or your truly ignorant.

Note for Modo Guys... --- Ever since YOU KNOW WHEN you all have been writing the LEANEST-MEANEST-COMPACT-COOLEST code around... I remeber PORTS for everything back in the day... You all know when... A sun micro still would be cool but still not affordable so NIX that... Either way its' the truth and people are so wrapped up in softwares appearance-wrappers to appreciate it. I remember a killer modeler you all made that was roughly 500+K and was ported galore... I've always been impressed and this aint no fanboy-crap. Then again an SGI port would be nice so I can dust off my '99 Oynx... Yeah rete..:D

Phil Lawson
05-05-2005, 09:45 PM
Tip: Try when rotating the viewport to use the rmb instead of the lmb and while rotating the view release the mouse button.
Your model wil now continue to spin until u click it again.
(Its a nice featsure in my opinion)

Pazur: Damn nice tips! simple featsures but they really help the workflow!

The faster you move your mouse during this, the faster the model will spin. ;)

StephanD
05-06-2005, 01:40 PM
Hold the tool's hotkey and perform the action,release and you're back in selection mode.

coffeefery
07-02-2005, 04:30 AM
Hi there, I'm starting to use modo from a Lightwave background, and I was wondering: does anyone know if modo has a tool that works the same way as LW's bandglue? Thanks.

drkollossus
07-02-2005, 04:43 AM
Ok it's been a whilesince I've been in LW modeler, it's already starting to fade from memory. Bandglue just removes an edge loop, if I remember. So in modo, select the edge loop(s) that you want to remove and hit the backspace to remove them. don't delete them or the polys will go a way too.

coffeefery
07-03-2005, 04:29 AM
Thanks for the quick reply! Yah, that works really nicely :)

I kept thinking that bandglue is for fixing 2 rings of polygon and didn't relate it to edges (LW doesn't really have edge tools - not literally), so all the polygon tools in modo didn't work out the way I wanted with bandglue. Guess I still have a lot to learn with modo. Currently, it feels like a great modeling software and really fast to pick up.

Thanks again :)

drkollossus
07-03-2005, 01:43 PM
Guess I still have a lot to learn with modo. Currently, it feels like a great modeling software and really fast to pick up.

Thanks again :)

I think that may be the hardest part of moving spacificly form LW to Modo, is that they are so similar in so many ways. But once you start to understand the diffrences, you start to unlock some of the most powerful parts of Modo. Always glad to be of help.

coffeefery
07-03-2005, 03:54 PM
Aye, you're right on that point! This is the 2nd time I'm trying out modo. I still feel more comfortable modeling in LW at the moment but I want to give modo a try. I'm still fighting with some tools on modo, so I'm now trying to find out the tools that I used most often in LW and trying to map them to similar hotkeys and keyboard shortcuts. I hope that I can work and learn modo at the same time without struggling too much this way :D

ZoyPakitou
07-06-2005, 11:08 PM
Is it worth the price ..?

What do you guys think?

How easy is it to learn compared to Silo?

Zoy

drkollossus
07-07-2005, 05:04 AM

What do you guys think?

Zoy
Is it worht the price hell yeah! especialy right now it's $299 (if you have one of the other packages that they are giving the discounts for) I wish I had waited, but I'm glad I didn't. How easy is it to learn? well that is much harder to answer. I have used Lightwaves Modeler since the day it came out, and it is very similar. So needless to say I just stepped into it very comfortably. your experiance may very. :thumbsup:

Rabbitroo
07-18-2005, 02:46 AM

What do you guys think?

Zoy

I like it better than Silo and it's worth it to me for the workflow.

-K

StephanD
08-10-2005, 12:03 PM

That depends on you but in my case it was a matter of minutes to get used to and the rest came by itself so I find it very intuitive(THE most intuitive of both).

I'm not going to comment on silo because it just didn't 'click' with me.

TheIvIaxx
08-15-2005, 09:40 PM

thank god, i almost uninstalled :) who the hell works with this on?

seneca
08-16-2005, 01:19 AM
thank god, i almost uninstalled :) who the hell works with this on?

I'm a huge fan of TRACKBALL rotation (along with many many others). Like I've said many times before, it's awesome because of the CAMERA ROLL control. (ie. just have your mouse at the very border of teh screen when you're ALT-LMB dragging and it will roll the camera.) It's priceless once you learn how to use it all.. I use the FRAME SELECTED command or the GO->TO command to tell modo what I want to rotate around, and I'm able to rotate it around my geometry at *EVERY* angle I ever need.

Oh, and nobody I know uses the little camera control buttons in the top righthand corner of the viewports.

ambient-whisper
08-16-2005, 01:40 AM

um. alias doesnt have those 3 icons. its cinema4d that you are thinking about.
in alias maya you use alt+mouse buttons.

c-g
08-16-2005, 01:40 AM
I guess I approach the 3d view differently. I can't tell much difference between the two if I'm really in the zone while modeling. I usually keep trackball rotation on though.

TheRedMunkey
10-14-2005, 12:00 AM
Is there a way to change the viewport navigation to the maya style (alt+rmb/mmb/lmb) without changing the other mouse button functionality in modo (i.e. paint selection and lasso selection buttons being reversed)? I tried to see if I could map it that way myself but navigating in the 3d viewport does not show up as a command in the command history.

I'm guessing that if this were possible it would be done that way to begin with...(why change around the other stuff if they didn't have to) but I can hope.

djcorea
11-15-2005, 02:50 PM
Here's a quick one, dunno if somebody wrote the same thing anywhere before...

Make any flat poly and without selecting it - bevel it. Now, with bevel still active in the tool pipe, when repeating the action with shift-click the new bevel won't start from the last beveled group of polys but from the bottom, where you started the first one from. Repeat the action for quick geometry refining.

Maybe this isn't so useful as it works only when you have no selection (which in Modo means "all selected"), but you can always do a quick copy/paste of only the geometry you're interested in and change the workin layer.

Enjoy.

CoolDuck
12-05-2006, 08:50 PM
Is there a way to change the viewport navigation to the maya style

Yes, you can change them in the input editor (F2), go to Viewports>>3d and uv views selection>>mouse and keyboard. There you will see the mouse commands. You can change which mouse button paints selects, and so on...

KenyattaNiles
03-15-2007, 02:30 PM
This tip is for those of you interested in using Maya's Toon shading.
Exporting your model as an .obj or .fbx will cause some problems. The .obj has some minor artifacts that will show up when you apply the toon outline, but the .fbx format is way off. I exported an .ma file and it was trouble free when applying the toon shader in Maya.

I posted an example in the general Maya forum.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=7&t=473855

davesink
07-09-2007, 03:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchguy

I never could understand how LW and Alias users put up with breaking their workflow by having to mouse up to the right-hand corner simply to rotate, pan and zoom the camera around!

um. alias doesnt have those 3 icons. its cinema4d that you are thinking about.
in alias maya you use alt+mouse buttons.

And in Cinema 4D, most users simply use the 1.2.&3 key/mouse shortcut to navigate quickly.

CoolDuck
05-01-2009, 09:58 PM
Thanks! That shift+click is handy.

Here's a quick one, dunno if somebody wrote the same thing anywhere before...

Make any flat poly and without selecting it - bevel it. Now, with bevel still active in the tool pipe, when repeating the action with shift-click the new bevel won't start from the last beveled group of polys but from the bottom, where you started the first one from. Repeat the action for quick geometry refining.

Maybe this isn't so useful as it works only when you have no selection (which in Modo means "all selected"), but you can always do a quick copy/paste of only the geometry you're interested in and change the workin layer.

Enjoy.

CoolDuck
05-01-2009, 10:00 PM
If you turn on Advanced Handles in Basic/Snaps and Precision you will get a nice HUD below the move tool display the offset of your move. Very handy for precision.
I dunno how to turn it off though.

MagnumCort
01-22-2010, 03:02 PM
In modo 401:

Drag Weld (Main Tool Box, Vertex Tab), and Constrain To Background (Snapping >> Constrain To >> Background). My two new favorite tools for re-topologizing. Wow - wish I would have found these sooner. Very cool stuff.

DmitriB
02-18-2010, 07:38 PM
Probably has been found before, but in 401, there's a handy trick that lets you reuse the tube primitive over and over again, very useful for making groups of cables:
1) Make the first cable using the tube primitive
2) When you are happy with the shape, Shift+Left Click into empty space (repeat the tool command)
3) Press Ctrl+Z to undo.
4) Now you have a new pipe inside your previous pipe with adjustable curve points ready to go

Hope someone found this useful
/Dmitri

DaMan92
11-17-2010, 02:32 PM
modo's workflow differs substantially from many other mainstream 3D applications. While Maya and 3ds Max stress using the right tool for the job, modo artists typically use a much smaller number of basic tools and combine them to create new tools using the Tool Pipe and customizable action centers and falloffs. :hmm:

ipx
12-21-2010, 08:51 PM
For those like me doing lots of vertices welding would like this. Of course if you do it frequently, you would map it to a key. Join Average (vert.join true) is good but sometimes you just want to join all selected vertices to the last selected one, the Join (vert.join false) command does just this, but it gives a dialogue which is kinda annoying. To get rid of this message simply use this command (vert.join false false).

The first parameter is it asking you if you want to join average, and the second one is asking you whether to show a dialogue, I think.

To map input go to menu System->Input Editor, turn on "Show Unmapped Key", and assign your desire command to an available key.

Xidon
07-26-2011, 02:17 PM
While panning, hold the MMB and drag up and down, to move closer or further away from your object. And like others have pointed out if you hold MMB while rotating and drag left and right, it will roll the camera, which helps you to level the viewport back out if you find yourself all over the place. Track ball is nice cause you can look directly over an object in any angle. I always found in Maya that it was difficult to work on anything off axis as the camera movements were too restrictive.

Bigwil357
11-02-2011, 04:02 AM
I dont see a thread on this, so i think that ill ask. Has anyone imported fbx INTO MAYA? I had a helicopter model that i imported into Maya with FBX. Now all of a sudden it dosent work anymore. Has anyone else had this issue?

TimeActor
11-03-2011, 02:48 PM
Hi, which Modo Version did you use?
No issue here. Also Modo´s Vector Displacement works like charm when i open it in Maya.
I´m using Modo 501 OsX 64Bit (Cocoa) on Mac Pro.

eUKhost
11-05-2011, 05:59 AM
Well, we have used many software but have never used the Luxology Modo. After looking at the features I am thinking to give it a try.

Bigwil357
11-05-2011, 08:24 AM
Hey, whats up! I realized what the problem was. I had the objects scaled too large. ANd I found out in Maya, when you are using the perspective view, if you zoom out too far, the geometry cuts off. It just doesnt zoom out until its small enough to see, its like there is a cut off point for visibility. My objects were soo large, that when zooming back, everything was invisible. I dont think that this is the case when using the camera.

I LOVE Modo. The interface is nice and clear. I feel like everything is right there, and available for me to use instantly and easily. I am using version 501.

penboack
11-05-2011, 11:57 AM
ANd I found out in Maya, when you are using the perspective view, if you zoom out too far, the geometry cuts off. It just doesnt zoom out until its small enough to see, its like there is a cut off point for visibility. My objects were soo large, that when zooming back, everything was invisible. I dont think that this is the case when using the camera.

This is due to the way the Viewport works in Maya.
You need to set the camera near and far distance, defaults are 0.01 and 1000.
CINEMA 4D does the same thing.
modo, however, is much better behaved in this respect.

TimeActor
11-05-2011, 08:38 PM
I LOVE Modo. The interface is nice and clear. I feel like everything is right there, and available for me to use instantly and easily. I am using version 501.

I like Maya but i love Modo too...it is the best solution to modell i think.
The Pixar Catmull Clark Algorithm is awesome.
I also use 501 SP5.
Greets

trashtalk
12-07-2011, 02:59 PM
Is there a way to have modo trace a bitmap brush stroke that's been imported in automatically not manually?

Thx

Bigwil357
12-29-2011, 12:20 PM
Hey all!
I was wondering if there was a way to get the geometry different colors upon creation in modo. I kinda like the way that 3DS max, makes every new object a different color.

Bigwil357
01-05-2012, 07:19 AM
Is there a way to limit the depth in which object components are chosen? For example, i have a scene with multiple pieces of geometry. If i select a face of an object, that is in front of another object, modo will select faces from both objects, and this is something that i don't want. Its like there is a strength/depth setting, but i dont know what it is. Is there a way to fix this?

TimeActor
01-30-2012, 10:19 AM
Hi @all,
i want introduce you to paint normal maps within modo.
At the moment there´s no directly function to do this but it is possible!

1. First i make a flat Polygon 1m in Y Direction and 1m in X Direction.
2. Reset Camera Positions to "look" at front of that poly.
3. Create new Image with 512 x 512 resolution (it doesn´t need more)
and change the output to normal
4. Create a Layer with noise (cellular or what you want)
5. Tweak that noise for your liking
6. Invert the Noise Layer
7. Right click on the noise Layer and use "bake to texture"...you´ll get an
normal map.
8. Put that normal map into image synth or something else to make a seamless texture.
9. Use that seamless texture normal map and use it as image ink to paint.
10. For testing create a primitive...i think a sphere is good.
11. Create a new image with resolution 1024 x 1024 or higher and change the output to normal.
12. Now paint over with your new normal image ink and have fun ;-)

I hope i didn´t forget anything because i´m not sitting in front of modo.
(it goes out of my brain ;-) )

I like to see some results from you...:-)
(Sorry for my english!)

Cheers
Martin

bellsoffreedom
09-14-2012, 04:14 PM
Just discovered these.

Holding cntrl 3 gets you a popup menu where you can select several tool panels. They then disappear when you move your mouse off of them.

F2 key - modo tools panel
F3 - sculpt tools
F4 - animation tools
F5 - command history
F6 - presets browser
F7 - graph editor
F8 - preview render popup window (so you can render while modeling!)

Hold the cntrl key, and try it with these keys:
Tab key
tilde key (next to the number 1
1 key (cntrl 1)
2 (cntrl 2) etc etc

They all bring up different tool menus. I'm finding it very handy.

Anyone have any more tips?

bellsoffreedom
09-18-2012, 03:56 PM
Anyone have any more tips? I've already learned some great tricks from this thread. Would love to learn more.

bellsoffreedom
10-04-2012, 04:25 PM
Cntrl - tab gives you quick access to basic modeling commands.

abgrafx3d
10-06-2012, 08:59 PM
Try using this keyboard shortcut file posted in the Lux forum - http://forums.luxology.com/topic.aspx?f=32&t=67693. Very useful.

bellsoffreedom
10-08-2012, 12:56 PM
Thanks, abgrafx3d. Great file to have for reference.

mass5500
11-19-2012, 12:43 AM
I second that abgrafx3d, Great keyboard layout.

GregMalick
04-25-2013, 06:29 AM
Press Numeric-1 for Top view - press it again for Bottom (toggles back and forth).

Numeric-1 toggles Top/Bottom
Numeric-2 toggles Front/Back
Numeric-3 toggles Right/Left
Numeric Del toggles Perspective/Camera

hsanden
04-25-2013, 09:25 AM
I made a tutorial with a lot of modeling tips. I think it would fit perfectly into this thread :)

How to Optimize modo for Faster Modeling (http://henningsanden.com/2013/03/31/how-to-optimize-modo-for-faster-modeling/)

Some gifs from it.

http://henningsanden.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/StretchtoZero.gif

http://henningsanden.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/SetPosx0.gif

http://henningsanden.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Slice2.gif

http://henningsanden.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Gif_Select.gif

bellsoffreedom
04-25-2013, 12:41 PM
Awesome tutorial, thanks for posting!

RageOfAges
09-26-2013, 07:50 AM
Spacebar to scroll between vertex/edge/polygon or shift + space to switch between component mode and item mode. (imo this is the fastest way to switch between modes because my thumb is pretty much always on the spacebar anyway)

alt + mmb rotates the camera along the Z axis. Excellent for orienting yourself when trackball wont' get you the view you need.

Right clicking a component or component selection will bring up a popup menu with a list of operations you can run on it. This is great for the operations you use less often and you're not familiar with the hotkey for it, or for operations that don't have a hotkey assigned like the bridge tool (you could make a hotkey too ofc.).

The tool pipeline is an amazing and often overlooked resource. Here you can make your own tool presets and save them out as your own custom tools. You can stack tools, falloffs, action centers, etc.

In the render view, you can left click anything to select it's material in the material editor. Similarly, you can create a material in the material editor and drop it onto an object in the render view to assign it. You can also drag and drop images from the image panel directly on an object in the render view to assign it as an image map on the material that's already assigned to that object. If no material is assigned, it will create one.

You can use the sculpting tools for modeling (smooth, push, etc.) in order to manipulate wider areas of your model or simply relax some vertices.

Now, I actually had a question, and hope no one minds me asking it here, but I felt guilty doing so without contributing, and also this whole forum seems so tidy I din't want to start a new thread.

Modo seems to always import objects (especially when using goz) as subdivision. This can be pretty hard on my system when I'm sending over a 100k poly item to use as a reference for building an accessory or something similar. I've looked through the manual and help files, preferences, etc, but never found an option to import as a polygon object instead of sub-d. It can always be turned into a poly object after the fact, but modo struggles when it's trying to subdivide to 10 million polys on import. Sometimes I have to wait a good 5-10 minutes just for everything to resolve itself before I can hit the tab key.

thanks in advance

-r

trashtalk
11-01-2013, 01:43 AM
Hi.

Is there a way to slide one mesh over another in modo so that the one mesh is shrinkwrapped over the other? And are there ways to have collision detection?

Thx

HamiltonAFJr
04-07-2014, 12:46 PM
Modo has a great image viewer.

Load your references in the image list
Double click one of them, the image viewer will show up
Right click the viewport dot in the upper left corner and split as you like
Drag and drop the remaining referencies to the newly created viewports

http://i.imgur.com/vqkdnek.jpg