PDA

View Full Version : modo wip, hug a pug

kursad_pileksuz
09-18-2004, 07:53 PM
as you see no real body, i hope this would show what you can do with modo. currently the edges are not quite proper around some parts of face but this is not modo`s fault, because i am little sloppy due to busy work schedule. hopefully i will be updating this image soon. this work is created with some late beta versions of modo.

http://www.plecxus.com/temp/MAYMUN_wip_2.jpg (http://www.plecxus.com/temp/MAYMUN_wip_2.jpg)

SheepFactory
09-18-2004, 08:05 PM
Hey great to see you here Kursad!

tayse
09-18-2004, 08:51 PM
Getting a modeller's thoughts like you will be great !

Does it feel any better or faster modelling in modo than lightwave ?
the same question in another way !
Do you think it can make you any faster or better than you are now ?
You think being able to use ngons can make any change in the way of you model ?

What about UV tools, you tried them out yet ?

is there anything else you think you can point out modeller wise ?

Niye orda Kursad Karatas Edition yaziyo ? herkese ozel edition mi var, yoksa sen de beta testermiydin ?

Thanks in advance.

kursad_pileksuz
09-18-2004, 09:07 PM
well main thing is that , modo gives you a chance to be master of it, i mean that you can modify most of modo, and make it the way you like. assigning shortcuts are really easy, element tool is a fresh new idea, and works pretty neat, and sure i did my own version of elements tools already. and what i am happy about is that, modo kept all the deformation tools intact, and i found it they are easy to use efficiently. for example maya lacks that kind of quality,. and there are couple of sculptools or you can make new ones, i am hoping that new version will support pressure sensitity within sculpting tools. also using modo with a tablet feels really good. i love the context menus, they were relatively easy.
it is a subd modeler, you can even subdivide windows :)
let me tell you this about ngons in subd. it is a good thing, but it is not a good thing to have ngons in your model because you subd modeler compensates it, unless you have a purpose i would not suggest you to use ngons in subd or in any model, because you cannot control outcome topology. (well i know you see ngons in my current image, but as i said i was rather sloppy there, hopefully i will correct most of those problems).
but modo compansates such problems, at this point i think it is a good thing that modo does that, because it lets you find a solution to the matter in your later steps of modelling. sometimes i let them stay like that for sometime, and i go back and correct them
that gives me freedom to focus on different issues on the model rather than trying to fix some holes that would not affect overall shape

nuclearfessel
09-18-2004, 09:22 PM
well main thing is that , modo gives you a chance to be master of it, i mean that you can modify most of modo, and make it the way you like. assigning shortcuts are really easy, element tool is a fresh new idea, and works pretty neat, and sure i did my own version of elements tools already. and what i am happy about is that, modo kept all the deformation tools intact, and i found it they are easy to use efficiently. for example maya lacks that kind of quality,. and there are couple of sculptools or you can make new ones, i am hoping that new version will support pressure sensitity within sculpting tools. also using modo with a tablet feels really good. i love the context menus, they were relatively easy.
it is a subd modeler, you can even subdivide windows :)
let me tell you this about ngons in subd. it is a good thing, but it is not a good thing to have ngons in your model because you subd modeler compensates it, unless you have a purpose i would not suggest you to use ngons in subd or in any model, because you cannot control outcome topology. (well i know you see ngons in my current image, but as i said i was rather sloppy there, hopefully i will correct most of those problems).
but modo compansates such problems, at this point i think it is a good thing that modo does that, because it lets you find a solution to the matter in your later steps of modelling. sometimes i let them stay like that for sometime, and i go back and correct them
that gives me freedom to focus on different issues on the model rather than trying to fix some holes that would not affect overall shape
this is all awesome :)

one question for you kursad: can tell a bit more about the snapping tools that are in Modo?

Dion Burgoyne
09-18-2004, 09:24 PM
One of the real powers with the n-gons is the fact that they still subdivide. So you have the choice of using them or not, but more importantly, you have the choice to remove edges, and rebuild them without leaving the sub-d world. So creating the contours that you require don't force you to anticipate how they'll look when you subdivide.

kursad_pileksuz
09-18-2004, 09:58 PM
to be honest i have not used different snappings a lot in modo. mainly i use vertex snapping, i had some problems with it in the beginning ( i use beta versions ) but then i figured out couple of ways of doing it, and that works pretty well in modo currently. and grid snapping and other standart snapping tools are available in modo, and recently found out that you can use them with different fall off like, element. other cool thing is that there is guide snapping, like in photoshop, but in 3d. i like that feature, i am just hoping that it will work in 2d planes soon as well. i need to look at them deeply to evaluate the matter and be fair .and geometry snapping is letting you to snap to vertex edge or polygon for example

kursad_pileksuz
09-18-2004, 10:04 PM
Dion is right, that is a really good thing to have, sometimes you would have alot of unwanted topology and you get rid of inner edges and vertices and would end up with big ngon, and you can remesh it without changing mod

tayse
09-18-2004, 10:20 PM
Is there a tool like the "edge tool" in lightwave ?

How about the symmetry ? can you keep it under control all the time? ....you know you lose symmetry sometimes in lightwave.

kursad_pileksuz
09-18-2004, 10:53 PM
yes there is edge tool, like one in maya, you can use for slicing or adding points. and modo has edge bevelling and extrusion that works better than maya, which is pain to cleanup after you use it in maya. i have not seen final version of modo, but i think they fixed alot of bugs including couple of symmetry bugs. in general even with early betas, modo was an easy tool to deal with. and heyyoo you do not need to deal with history like in maya.
also they are already working on some patches and fixes for current owners and a new version.

nuclearfessel
09-19-2004, 12:14 AM
Is there a tool like the "edge tool" in lightwave ?

How about the symmetry ? can you keep it under control all the time? ....you know you lose symmetry sometimes in lightwave.
unlike LW's edges which is are through plugin and not a true edge feature, edges in Modo, like Wings or Silo, is actually a level of selection like points or polygons in LW. Modo has three working modes: vertex (points), Edge and polygon.

Symmetry is pretty cool as well. Unlike LW which only gives you one axis (X) of symmetry, symmetry in Modo works on all axis. :)

mav3rick
09-19-2004, 12:38 AM
hey KURSAD maverick here ! old #lightwavers friend!

yinako
09-19-2004, 01:00 AM
Hi, how is it not history based? no NODES? what if you like to change your extrude settings after extrude?

Are there any normal editing tools? as complete as maya if any :)?

kursad_pileksuz
09-19-2004, 01:19 AM
to be honest, maya`s history was nothing but trouble for me in last 4 years of professional use of maya, . i personally delete history every 3 secs. in modo and most of other modelling programs, you adjust bevel during bevel creation, after you are done you do not go back and correct it 10 steps later, and i do not think maya would work proper even after couple of steps especially if you have created alot of new polygons etc after that bevel. best thing about modo is that, there are no nodes. so you work fast and reliable.
as far as i know there are no real normal editing tools, unless they exist as commands not in interface. But in any case it would be great to have advance normal editing tools, like in maya. it is important for game developers. the thing is that i started needing normal editing tools after i started using maya :) go figure

bradpeebler
09-19-2004, 01:26 AM
There are a couple of ways you can work with elements in their normal space. Using the Element Mode tool handles are aligned to the normal and center of the element you click on. This way you can click and drag an element based on its normal or on the normal of any other element for that matter. Or you can set the Action Center/Axis to Local mode. This will edit any selected elements along thier local normals. I think there is a video on the site about that. I'll check. If not, there will be!

BP

Headcrash
09-19-2004, 01:40 AM
Setting the Action Axis to 'Selection' will also use the averaged normal of your current selection. So really, there are a lot of ways to base your edits on the normals of your geometry.

ambient-whisper
09-19-2004, 04:36 PM

im just wondering here. i know you can modify the interface.. and customize it a lot. but is that all saved to some file so i can just copy/paste that customized file so i can have it at work as well? or give it to a friend?

i say this because setting up pie menus and what not requires some work and thought put into them. having to redo all of that every time we format our pc.. or have to use it on another pc will take way too much time.

would also be great if we could completely customize our mouse buttons to do what WE want. like being able to use middle click as tumble or right click as select. etc.
instead of the current (modo/maya ) choices we have.

also i wonder if theres a way to turn off the zoom where cursor is. it helps sometimes but sometimes its inconvenient when your modelling around a selection.

sorry to ask so many questions in this thread.

Pazur
09-19-2004, 05:59 PM
a toolbar or pie menu is a form. Form can be saved to a file from within Form Editor and then You import it back with config import function. Layouts that You build (which consist of forms) can be exported to file with Config Export, as well as keymap and all forms at once.

Since configs are based on xml You can also do all that stuff manually with xml editor. I did that a couple of times and there is no a problem. Modo can keep config in many files, not just single .cfg so You can keep Your stuff in external files all the time and just "link" to them from the main modo.cfg.

rebo
09-19-2004, 09:16 PM
I agree with A-W, being able to toggle tumble with middle mouse and saving out settings to a file is important to me.

ThomasMahler
09-19-2004, 09:21 PM
Yeah, Saving different configs to one single file would be awesome. Maya handles that pretty bad, In my opinion - Every marking menu's a seperate file, every script is a sepereate file, everything is a seperate file...

Taking the time to adjust Modo once is okay, but readjusting every time you're on a new workstation or whatever is a pain.

ambient-whisper
09-19-2004, 10:00 PM
Yeah, Saving different configs to one single file would be awesome. Maya handles that pretty bad, In my opinion - Every marking menu's a seperate file, every script is a sepereate file, everything is a seperate file...

Taking the time to adjust Modo once is okay, but readjusting every time you're on a new workstation or whatever is a pain.
well. if it consists of more than one file then as long as it all sits in one folder. that way we can drop that folder into whatever workstation and we will know it loads up ok :)

ThomasMahler
09-19-2004, 10:08 PM
I'd like to have the option. I mean, like backing up your emails. Some kind of: File - Save Config to File would be great.

In Maya, I had a hard time with exporting and importing configs... last time I had the problem that I used my configs in Maya 6, deleted the ones for Maya 5, but had to use Maya 5 again for some project. Sadly, the new configs didn't work anymore for Maya 5, even though the configs weren't related to Maya 6 at all, tool-wise at least.

Saving and Importing Configs is a very important thing - And in a perfect world, I wouldn't even have to think about that ;)

Pazur
09-19-2004, 10:15 PM
Guys, it's up to You whether You want Your configs to be 1 big file or 10 smaller. They are .xml files that are build from blocks. You can take 10 separate files and paste them into one big file and modo will take that without any problem. You can have keys in one file, layouts in other, etc. but You can also have them all in one file.
Config export function allows You to create separate files each time or append data to already existing files.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.