PDA

View Full Version : got Modo? used max, lw, xsi, maya? how does it compare?!

WChestnutt
09-18-2004, 07:07 PM
hey guys.

ok, so for everyone who bought modo and has had a play on it, how does it compare to your previous app? any drawbacks? anything you think it's missing?

post all your coments... does it really stand up to the major apps?!!

i only really do modelling at the moment so it would be usefull to have an app that focus's on just that. first i think me along with many others need to know from actual user's if it can really stand up in the industry. i dont know about you, but i dont like to spend 500 odd quid when ive just read some blurb form the manufactuer!

im sure we're all looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Cheers, Will

Pazur
09-18-2004, 10:21 PM
modo has definitely the most flexible and robust UI I have seen. I work primarily in LW but I also tried XSI EXP and modo is far better.
Every piece of UI is a so-called Form. For example toolbars, pie menus, popovers are all editable forms. Even the top system menu. It's totally reconfigurable. All buttons can have alternate commands when the keys like shift or alt are pressed which means that You can have several functions under one button.
All what You do inside modo is logged as command which means You can put it anywhere on UI as button or bind the action to key shortcut immediately. Key configuration is the best i have seen. You can set shortcuts to any command from history directly using command history form. You can easily make any existing form a popover using key editor. For example, any tab of the default modo toolset can be assigned to a key as popover. Any time You press the key the tab will appear right under Your mouse.
Modo is so easy to reconfigure that I find it the only app where I actually prefer to split viewports in realtime when I need more of them rather then choosing predefined presets like double/quad etc. which are often the only choicies in other apps.
It's really no effort to build a specific layout with bkg images for each model You do. Switching layouts can also be bound to keys.
Modo's workflow can be boosted and optimised in ways that probably were not available before. I'd say it's a sin to use modo with default config ;)
All config system is based on xml which means even if You can't configure something by UI - You can configure it with xml editor. For example You can use own icons and even animated gifs.
There are also lots of "little things" that do not seem that important at first glance but they optimise speed A LOT and become addiction quickly. One of them is possibility to switch between point/edge/poly modes by simply right clicking any point/edge/poly in 3d viewport. Well, the possibilities are endless! :)

kursad_pileksuz
09-18-2004, 10:32 PM
what you should be looking for in modo is flexibility. modo is a modeler that has some traditional modelling tools plus some innovations but what makes modo is flexibility like using fall offs with other tools, or changing action centers of tool, or modifying interface and macros. i use maya, and i am a lightwave modeler as well. and modo is alot more flexible and and easy to use, because you are not stuck to one local pivot point for example. maya is really bad at that. even if you need to rotate couple of vertices around some another center , you need to change the pivot point through couple of steps. maybe there is a script that would make it easier, but in modo they put such things as fundamental bases of modo.all you need to do is with right click you change the position of rotation pivot, if you disable handles, you do not even need to change the pivot point, it will read where your mouse is , like lightwave (this is why we love lightwave for example for organic stuff)

yog
09-18-2004, 10:35 PM
When I started using XSI after 7-8 years of LW, my initial impression was that XSI was far better at hard surface modelling than LW, and as that's what most of my work entails, that's where I've been modelling for the last half year. Although I would admit that LW's organic modelling through Sub-D's is probably better than XSI's (once you customise LW's UI to something more useful), XSI's sub-d's are certainly no slouch. In fact, to keep continuity, I've been sub-d modelling in XSI as well, partly because LW8 doesn't display properly on my system (blank viewports), even after the 8.01 patch.

With Modo's tools being so similar to LW's (on the surface), my initial impression is the same. I'll still definately be modelling hard surface objects in XSI, but with Modo's organic tools being so much better than LW's, I'll certainly be modelling my organic models in Modo instead.

rendermania
09-18-2004, 11:08 PM
Came here to read about Modo really, but that LW - XSI comparison makes me wonder where you'd place Cinema R9 in a modeling comparison to those two, even if its sort of OT for this forum. Its got a full complement of modeling tools tucked into a single pie menu, and seems to be capable of handling anything any other app can handle. Wondering also if by hard-surface modeling you mean straight polygon editing, cutting, extrusions, booleans etc, without smoothing or Nurbing/subdividing, or something even more specific.

yog
09-18-2004, 11:23 PM
Came here to read about Modo really, but that LW - XSI comparison makes me wonder where you'd place Cinema R9 in a modeling comparison to those two,
Sorry I've not used Cinema.

With just about all the current apps haveing just about all the same basic tools, I'd say most of it comes down to workflow, which more than anything else is purely personal preference.

MAX has some really nice tools, my whishlist for LW grew quite a bit after using MAX for a couple years, but although some people swear by modelling in MAX, I swore at it, it just didn't suit me personally. After years of bolt on bits LW has gone from a really sweet workflow to fealling very fratured, which is something that has really impressed me about XSI, everything feals as though it works well together. Which is the same fealling I'm getting from Modo, it all feals "right".
Pehaps after 4 or 5 years of development and 3rd party plug-ins Modo wont feel so tight, but for now, it does :)

rendermania
09-18-2004, 11:46 PM
Haven't looked at XSI much since doing some exploration with 1.5 academic back in the days, so I wouldn't know what they've added since, and LW's GUI has never really been my thing, even though I know people who swear by its modeler. Cinema gets my personal vote for really slick modeling workflow + the ability to plug in a second set of modeling tools with Mesh Surgery. I suppose you're right in making the argument that it comes down to what feels right for you though.

ThePumpkinKing
09-19-2004, 06:34 AM
In fact, to keep continuity, I've been sub-d modelling in XSI as well, partly because LW8 doesn't display properly on my system (blank viewports), even after the 8.01 patch.
I have that same problem too. It is blank a lot until you pan it, right? You don't know the cause of this do you?

yog
09-19-2004, 10:57 AM
I have that same problem too. It is blank a lot until you pan it, right? You don't know the cause of this do you?
Yep, that's the problem.
It seems to effect a wide range of users, people on Mac's, people on Pc's, ATI cards and Nvidia cards. Unfortunately Newtek are taking the attitude that because they can't consistantly reproduce the problem, it must be a user problem, so no fix in the 8.01 patch :sad:

Some things that have worked for some people are to turn your colour depth down to 16 bit and/or switch off/on simple wireframe points/edges in LW. Unfortunately that still doesn't work for many.
I have tried it on a Geoforce-4 4200 128Mb card and a GF-2 32Mb card, same problem on both. In fact it completely destroyed my workflow and forced me into using XSI full time, which turned out to be a good thing :D
I eventually sorted the problem by upgrading to a Quadro-4 graphics card, but by that time I had become comfortable using other software.

garyc
09-19-2004, 06:11 PM
XSI was far better at hard surface modelling than LW, and as that's what most of my work entails, that's where I've been modelling for the last half year.
Hi, prior to forming fuzzygoat I used to be one of the heads of 3D for the effects company Millfilm. The vast majority of the work we did (both then and now) is hard surface modelling. I have to say that in this respect I find Modo to be an outstanding application, and we are currently using it for all our modelling needs. My advice to you would be to add Modo into your pipeline, you should also find it pretty easy to swap models between Modo and XSI, use whats best in both to get the results you need.

cheers gary.

rebo
09-19-2004, 10:13 PM
I would like to know how mojo compares to wings. Specifically is if as fast , i.e. can one model as fast in mojo as in wings. Also does it lock down the center verts virtual mirror style??

c-g
09-19-2004, 10:33 PM
I would like to know how mojo compares to wings. Specifically is if as fast , i.e. can one model as fast in mojo as in wings. Also does it lock down the center verts virtual mirror style??
Mojo? Never heard of it.

Dion Burgoyne
09-19-2004, 11:09 PM
Best thing to do is check the WIP's there are some times listed there as to how fast it took to get as far as they did... I can't name an app. that can match those times...

CB_3D
09-20-2004, 12:26 AM
Yep, that's the problem.
It seems to effect a wide range of users, people on Mac's, people on Pc's, ATI cards and Nvidia cards. Unfortunately Newtek are taking the attitude that because they can't consistantly reproduce the problem, it must be a user problem, so no fix in the 8.01 patch :sad:

Some things that have worked for some people are to turn your colour depth down to 16 bit and/or switch off/on simple wireframe points/edges in LW. Unfortunately that still doesn't work for many.
I have tried it on a Geoforce-4 4200 128Mb card and a GF-2 32Mb card, same problem on both. In fact it completely destroyed my workflow and forced me into using XSI full time, which turned out to be a good thing :D
I eventually sorted the problem by upgrading to a Quadro-4 graphics card, but by that time I had become comfortable using other software.
Same here, on ATI and Nvidia with the latest drivers. Horribly distracting to my flow, too.

fez
09-20-2004, 07:40 AM
Is the subd speed in Modo faster or slower than in XSI?

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.