PDA

View Full Version : opening Maya files in modo?

Colin de bink
09-18-2004, 12:36 PM
Does anyone know if it is possible to open Maya files in modo
the PDF manual says this:
"modo allows for import and export of files. You do not need to use import to open files from LightWave or Maya, EPS or OBJ files; these directly load using the File > Open command."

I tried both .ma and .mb files (simple sphere, nothing fancy) but that didn't work.
Opening modo files in may goes well, but I'd hoped to open an old Maya mesh and expand on that. Did anyone try this too or know if it is possible at all?

Bink

Para
09-18-2004, 03:39 PM
I assume the simple object was a polysphere since Modo doesn't support NURBS :)

One possibility is that you're saving the object as too old/new version of Maya's model files and Modo doesn't support it. If possible, try saving it as a bit older version (I'm not expert in Maya since I haven't even touched it but I'd think this is possible, right?) and then open it.

Colin de bink
09-18-2004, 03:46 PM
yeah it was a poly object (also tried subD) and i've tried it with Maya 5 and 6 in both file formats
I dont know what else to try

thanks for your help Para
does anyone else have any experience with this?

Griffon
09-18-2004, 04:37 PM
Have you deleted the history on it. This has the effect of turning a mesh into an actual "mesh" node with geometry which is what modo can load. ie. Just creating a sphere in Maya doesn't actually create a mesh node, but a description of a sphere.

Colin de bink
09-18-2004, 05:28 PM
aha thank you very much Mr Griffon thats it
I did delete all by type > history and saved it as a .ma file
and I could open it in modo

:bounce: :thumbsup:

MyCatField
09-23-2004, 06:23 PM
I can't get .ma import in modo to work either. Tried clearing history, no luck. Gives me "Scene load was unsuccessful" errors when trying to load a simple scene with a box. Tried it from Maya 4.5 and Maya 6.0.

Also, does anyone know how to transfer edge weighting over to Maya? When I load an .ma model from modo, it comes in as Polygons. When I convert to sub-divs, it doesn't show any edge weighting. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mike

Griffon
09-23-2004, 08:12 PM
I can't get .ma import in modo to work either. Tried clearing history, no luck. Gives me "Scene load was unsuccessful" errors when trying to load a simple scene with a box. Tried it from Maya 4.5 and Maya 6.0.

Also, does anyone know how to transfer edge weighting over to Maya? When I load an .ma model from modo, it comes in as Polygons. When I convert to sub-divs, it doesn't show any edge weighting. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mike

I am confused. You say you can't get files to load, then you say they come in as polys. It has loaded everything I have thrown at it exported from Maya 5 and 6. I'd have to see the file to see why. The current version does not transfer edge weights. Mayas edge weighting is very poor, what you'll eventually see it all values above a certain amount are are full crease and those below to no crease. Partial creasing seems to rely on hierarchical subds.

CoolDuck
09-23-2004, 11:13 PM
Can you import ma files with subdiv surfaces in it?

Can you import ma files with multiple objects?

Griffon
09-24-2004, 12:18 AM
Can you import ma files with subdiv surfaces in it?

Can you import ma files with multiple objects?
subdivs are converted to polys on import (just hit TAB)

Each mesh node comes in as a seperate layer.

MyCatField
09-27-2004, 10:05 PM
Here's what I'm doing:
1. Create Polygon Box in Maya
2. Export box as maya ascii
3. Load that file in modo
4. Get "Scene load was unsuccessful" error

This happens on models saved from Maya 4.5 and 6.0. I tried Saving Scene As, and just exporting the actual box. I also tried exporting just the shape node. Same error every time. Maybe I have a bad installation though, I still need to try the same thing on a co-worker's computer.

As far as edge-weighting goes, I found an answer in the poly.freeze command.

Thanks!
Mike

Colin de bink
09-28-2004, 04:56 PM
between point 1 and 2 do this:
(1.5) delete all by type > history

MyCatField
10-07-2004, 05:31 PM
Colin:
Deleting History didn't work, but I found out what was causing the problem; In Maya, in my Save Maya Ascii options, I had "Use Full Name for Attributes on Nodes" checked. Unchecking that fixed the problem.

Thanks,
Mike

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.