PDA

View Full Version : Linux version

Hullbr3ach
09-18-2004, 12:35 PM
As it says on the Lux website, 98% of the code are platform independent. So, when is the Linux version coming out?

hairy_llama
09-19-2004, 04:24 AM
Good question

Dion Burgoyne
09-19-2004, 04:53 AM
We're actually looking into the possibility of a Linux version, but at the moment, modo is on Apple and PC

MunCHeR
09-19-2004, 06:03 AM
WOOT WOOT, now I'm getting even more excited (if thats possible):thumbsup:

MunCH

Sha_Man
09-21-2004, 08:18 AM
We're actually looking into the possibility of a Linux version, but at the moment, modo is on Apple and PC
Sound good since Linux is ALSO on PC ;)

MayaPT
09-24-2004, 03:44 PM
Hi,

This is only my opinion so don't get mad at me, but i think any 3d software trying to implement itself in the highend 3d software market must have a linux version of their products.

Of course there are several good 3d applications that run exclusively on Windows and Mac (like
3D Max, Cinema4d and Lightwave) but let's see it like this, modo is a subd modeler so it's main application will be organic modeling. Organic modeling will more likely than not be animated and used for tv or film and most film and tv studios will probably have some linux pipeline.

Probably i'm totally wrong, but as i said it's just my opinion, so PLEASE think about it. The linux 3D community is counting on you guys. ;)

-MayaPT

Para
09-24-2004, 04:19 PM
This is only my opinion so don't get mad at me, but i think any 3d software trying to implement itself in the highend 3d software market must have a linux version of their products.

By the way, since you seem to be capable of answering this, which professional 3D/compositing programs do have Linux version at the moment? I know this is a bit off-topic but I think it's one thing that's important to know also to Luxology since if there's no other apps in Linux, there isn't a pipeline to fit into with modo and no need for it.

MrPG
09-24-2004, 05:11 PM
dont sound too confident :D ? This mean its not a on a list of priorities at this point? Which means it'll be a while? :(

not to sour the success and progress of modo, it looks really cool, i've always been a big fan of brad and the lightwave team and a new luxology fan boi. The luxo team seems to be full of innovative minds and are really enthusiastic about their stuff and the direction they're heading and that passion carries over to an obviously fast growing equally enthusiastic community, that was something i always admired about lightwave, their user base was strong.

lightwolf
09-24-2004, 05:23 PM
By the way, since you seem to be capable of answering this, which professional 3D/compositing programs do have Linux version at the moment?
Well, you didn't ask me but what the heck:
Compositing: Nuke, Shake, probably DF soon, for retouching CinePaint.
3D: Maya, XSI, renderman, mental ray, Houdini and I guess you can count in Blender as well ;).
There might be more, but these were the first one that came to my mind.

Cheers,
Mike

MrPG
09-24-2004, 08:19 PM
... since if there's no other apps in Linux, there isn't a pipeline to fit into with modo and no need for it... ^ now thats crazy talk :)

couple other cool tools to check out

the good guys @ www.ifx.com (http://www.ifx.com)

Piranha

the full featured compositing, editing, paint and effects package for film, HDTV, and video. available for SGI and Linux.

and

Amazon Paint & 3d paint (good stuff, solid intergration to the big 3d apps with *nix flavors, xsi/houdini/maya)

the 16 bit per channel professional paint and 3D paint system for film, HDTV, video and graphic arts. available for SGI and Linux.

MayaPT
09-24-2004, 09:36 PM
... which professional 3D/compositing programs do have Linux version at the moment? I guess you have some answers by now, leaving the "mainstream" 3d apps you can also count with:

Animation/MoCap:
Mokey, Kaydara MotionBuilder (since Alias bought it i suppose the linux versions are not at risk).

camera/motion tracking:
boujou; icarus; 3d equalizer; MatchMover; Pftrack; voodoo

compositing/editing:
it seems discreet have a smoke 6 linux version too and upcoming 6.5 also

As you see it seems linux is not all that poor OS that some rich OS company owners try to make of it. There are a lot of tools and many times a lot of really good ones for free. Hope this was of any help.

-MayaPT

Para
09-24-2004, 09:41 PM
As you see it seems linux is not all that poor OS that some rich OS company owners try to make of it. There are a lot of tools and many times a lot of really good ones for free. Hope this was of any help.

Trying to ignore your obviously biased comments is hard but yeah, that helped. Now I know what's available to that Minix clone that was originated from here :)

MayaPT
09-24-2004, 09:47 PM
hehe,

I must admit i am very partial in this discussion, i must apologize if that comment sounded too harsh but, although i think this is not the case in this thread, it's a little sad that so many ppl throw rocks at something they never tried.

I apologize as it was not a directed attack at noone. Cheers ;)

-MayaPT

carbon8
09-25-2004, 12:28 AM
I'll tell you what guys, if Modo was available for Linux, i wouldn't even think twice about dropping the bucks on it. I'm a longtime lightwaver, and i've pretty much been told that a linux port is not going to be in the works, so it's a no brainer. Go with what's available. If it weren't for my lightwave, i'd probably dump windows completely.

Hell, everything seems to run so much faster in Linux anyway. My P4 2.4 with 1gig of ram windows box takes longer to boot than my pII 450 with 256 megs of ram linux machine, and i optimize my windows machine at least twice a month with minimal startup apps.

PLEASE MODO JOJO...
Make a LINUX port!!:bounce:

MunCHeR
09-25-2004, 12:59 AM
That would definately rock(modo on linux), just thought I'd mention it but wings3d runs really well on linux and its a pretty cool for an open source project, and if anyones listening from luxology a shell script installer (I think thats what its called) would be better than an rpm, just my 2 cents, would be nice not to have to boot into windows just to remember what its like rebooting a PC 20x a day:D(sarcasm, sorry I couldnt resist)

MunCH

lightwolf
09-26-2004, 12:17 PM
Now I know what's available to that Minix clone that was originated from here :)
<off topic>
Ouch, now that hurt ;) I think somewhere on the net there is an archive of the historical discussion Linus had with Prof. Tannenbaum on _that_ subject ;)
</off topic>
Cheers,
Mike

Sbowling
09-27-2004, 06:41 AM
Edit: I'm opting out of this "discussion" It's not doing any good.

Sbowling
09-27-2004, 06:55 AM

MunCHeR
09-27-2004, 07:19 AM
who ever said linux was user friendly, performance and reliability are the real things that linux offers, and you cant really just install it and expect it to be fully optimised, its not a point and click thing really.Yes it can be a pain to setup but it will happily chug along for months at a time, you have better memory management, you dont have to reboot everytime you install/uninstall something, you dont have viruses or 30+ pices of microsoft spyware to deal with.As for the apps it comes with (most distro's) an office suite, gimp 2d paint program, ftp software and a plethora of other applications that you can optionally install or download them for nothing, granted they may not be as polished as their windows counterparts but then again you dont have to fork out some $800 for an office suite either(I'd much rather spend that on modo, but thats me)Installing something and then saying its slow and puggish is kinda rediculous, you wouldnt install modo play with it for 10 or 15 minutes and say it was no good would you? Well linux does take a little learning, its not point and click and there are some optimisations that need to be done, like compiling your kernel for your system.Theres a good reason a lot of web servers use linux, and why highend graphics apps have a linux port, like maya,houdini,pirahna.Linux users already have a 64bit capable OS, its been around for quite a while and 64bit windows is in beta and wont be available til 2000 and what? I'm pretty certain it will have all the good features as usual, security holes , viruses and spyware. By the way you should try out firefox(browser) and thunderbird (mail) from mozilla.org they're pretty damned good.

Just my observations

MunCH

Sbowling
09-27-2004, 08:02 AM

MunCHeR
09-27-2004, 08:43 AM
:thumbsup: no not terribly constructive :D, I myself dont expect perfect performance, but I have found wrestling with it a great learning experience, and detest microsofts business practices. I'm a linux user and have never thought of it as a windows killer, I cant really compare the two they are just different, and linux is just "an alternative" anyhow for us its the art that matters Aaaaiiigh

Cheers

MunCH

lightwolf
09-27-2004, 08:43 AM
W00T! You included blender with profesional 3d apps? Blender, the poster boy for how not to create an interface. Has there even been anything decent done on that program? Ever? Besides, isn't that program dead? Can't seem to find anything on it that looks like it was done in the past 5 years.
Well, blender was the in-house package for NaN, and they surely did some commercial with it prior to releasing it. It also seems to catch up both in features and user friendliness, especially if you look at the couple of releases that come out this year.
I think if the project continues progressing like that, it can be quite a heavy weight in a couple of years time.

Cheers,
Mike

MayaPT
09-27-2004, 08:55 AM
Originally Posted by Sbowling
W00T! You included blender with profesional 3d apps? Blender, the poster boy for how not to create an interface. Has there even been anything decent done on that program? Ever? Besides, isn't that program dead? Can't seem to find anything on it that looks like it was done in the past 5 years.
1st - Let's all try to disregard this kind of comments because it could apply to Windows versions themselves.

2nd - All you Microsoft lovers should keep your feet outside if this is not your OS, why come in here and say bad things simply because we want a version of this software? Just so that you can then say Microsoft is better because there's no linux version of Modo? If that's so then forget it because linux will keep pushing the OS's forward unlike others.

3rd - THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT OS, THIS THREAD IS ABOUT LINUX VERSION OF MODO. PLEASE KEEP ON-TOPIC.

--MayaPT

kursad_pileksuz
09-27-2004, 08:59 AM
come to think of it, if modo comes out for linux, it is time to move to linux for me. because i would have all major apps i love running on linux without being worried about being a corporate slave :)

carbon8
09-27-2004, 10:51 AM
Why? I just installed the latest "user frinedly" version of redhat a few moths ago and it was just like the other versions of linux. Anything but user frinedly, slow and pidggish and still completely lacking in anything other than server software. I think it's going to be a very long time before Linux is worthy of anything other than running cheap server software. Much like the later versions of Netscape/mozilla, it's a great idea on paper, but it just doesn't work that well. As far as I'm concerned, Linux is dead for the desktop market.
If you weren't happy with RedHat, try either Mandrake 10 or Fedora Core 2. The later is very much like windows, it's running the latest version of KDE. Alot of corporations, outside of the animation industry are moving to linux for it's stabilty, security and cost effective nature.

Hullbr3ach
09-27-2004, 01:11 PM
Heh, quite a flame that my thread started ;)

Well, I hope for you (Luxology) to port it, because only then I will consider buying a copy.

MrPG
09-27-2004, 01:27 PM
not one expects it to be a windows killer, its proving it could possibly be, i do gfx and music on my linux workstation along with gaming, managing my fininces and some programming/dev work, for people to say it offers nothing more than server apps shows that those same pople have no true standing experience with the OS.

I can do any and everything your avg power user can do on windows. YEa the quality of the app, desktop/workstation class, is going to be lesser quality functionality for the most part "out of the box" so to speak, but thats and issue when you have millions of coders practically doing projects as wide spread as it is, you get a flood of apps some good, most sub and a few really great ones.

And as for preformance, something like redhat is probably not the best distro to judge, as it does try to mimic a windows environment and does assume the users wont know/or care much about the going ons of his OS for the most part, so out of the box its bloated. I get stellar performance out of my installs

MayaPT
09-27-2004, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Hullbr3ach:
Well, I hope for you (Luxology) to port it, because only then I will consider buying a copy. Agreed, that makes two of us.

--MayaPT

Sbowling
09-28-2004, 09:11 AM

MunCHeR
09-28-2004, 10:15 AM
Actually, it was fedora, and other than being a windowed OS it's nothing like windows.
Why would you expect it to be like windows? Thats the best part about it, some windows users actually think they have some control over their operating system, I have only found 2 solutions for a windows hickup, ctrl+alt+del and format c

Windows updates arent free, you obviously pay for them when you purchase the OS, and some of those part-time hackers are some of the smartest programmers on the face of the planet.

Bah sorry to get OT again

MunCH

carbon8
09-28-2004, 10:21 AM
Why would you expect it to be like windows? Thats the best part about it, some windows users actually think they have some control over their operating system, I have only found 2 solutions for a windows hickup, ctrl+alt+del and format c

Windows updates arent free, you obviously pay for them when you purchase the OS, and some of those part-time hackers are some of the smartest programmers on the face of the planet.

MunCH
AMEN MunCH!!
Windows is windows and Linux is Linux. Either you like it or you don't! You don't expect a ford to be a bmw do you??

I personally optimize my windows os on a regular basis and still have a ton of problems with it. Some of which are driver issues, which really sucks because there are no new drivers for some of my laptops hardware. If i switch over to my linux os though, there are new drivers for it. Go figure. Windows updates have done some good for the machines and some bad. Some of the hot fixes actually break windows. Should be called hot-crashes.

MunCHeR
01-22-2005, 04:37 AM
+bump

heya guys any news on whether a linux port will go ahead?:thumbsup:

MunCH

MadMax
01-22-2005, 06:31 AM
Well, you didn't ask me but what the heck:
Compositing: Nuke, Shake, probably DF soon, for retouching CinePaint.
3D: Maya, XSI, renderman, mental ray, Houdini and I guess you can count in Blender as well ;).
There might be more, but these were the first one that came to my mind.

Cheers,
Mike

DF already has a linux port.

MadMax
01-22-2005, 06:41 AM
well now we all know linux sucks and no one uses it professionally.

Places like Sony surely wouldn't use linux for the production department, or Rythm & Hues, or any of the other studios.

This is obvious based on the fact that none of the big 3d makers have linux versions like XSI, Maya, Houdini etc.

Uh, that was sarcasm in case it wasn't recognized as such.

To the modo guys, and I mean Luxology employees here, the really large names are on linux. you guy KNOW people use linux at their studios.

think about it.

Renderman_XSI
01-22-2005, 09:24 PM
+bump

heya guys any news on whether a linux port will go ahead?:thumbsup:

MunCH

hold your horses, its coming... :)

MayaPT
07-29-2005, 12:51 AM
Seems there was a misread here, but anyway, i'm still waiting for it.

Cheers,

StephanD
07-29-2005, 01:51 PM
If you want a distro that's geared towards multimedia creation,checkout 'Mediainlinux'.

It's a liveCD with HD install too and comes with ALL graphics,sound editing and other multimedia packages available such as Blender and wings3d.

I don't use it but I thought it's worth a mention.

Beamtracer
08-01-2005, 03:43 AM
Anyone going to the Lux Siggraph presentation on Aug 2 (2005, in case anyone's reading this thread in ten years time).

If Brad Peebler has a Q & A session, you might want to ask him about Luxology's Linux plans. After all, Brad did say he was going to reveal "everything", didn't he ?

prajna
08-01-2005, 06:24 AM
To the modo guys, and I mean Luxology employees here, the really large names are on linux. you guy KNOW people use linux at their studios.

think about it.

Yes, enough debate here. Linux is here to stay, and the big-hitters are using it as we chatter on in this forum. Luxology folks, please just add my name to the list of someone who would be very happy to see a Linux version of Modo, as well as the myriad other modules which Nexxus is, and will be giving birth to.

Peter Elias

<>

MarkH
08-03-2005, 07:46 AM
Stop holding your breath. It's official, modo is coming to Linux.

MadMax
08-03-2005, 07:59 AM
Stop holding your breath. It's official, modo is coming to Linux in 2006. I believe they said "the first half of 2006" is when it should be released but I could be mistaken!

you are mistaken. No timeframe was given.

The demo clearly stated on screen that pricing and availability was TBA.

Hullbr3ach
08-04-2005, 07:13 PM
This is great news! And nice that somebody revived my thread from waaay back :thumbsup:

Yiorgz
08-10-2005, 09:23 AM
I read that in their press release, one of the things they were focussing on in 2005-2006 was a Linux version.

It makes sense. For a studio with a whole bunch of PCs for modellers, per seat, it is probably a lot cheaper to go Linux (savings on licensing alone - for the OS - makes it worth while).

For me, Lightwave, Photoshop and Modo is what keeps me on XP. I would jump ship if all these three software makers had [STABLE] Linux versions.

Beamtracer
08-10-2005, 11:00 AM
I read that in their press release, one of the things they were focussing on in 2005-2006 was a Linux version.
Yes, it's good to get confirmation from the Luxology roadmap that there's a Linux version in the pipe.
For me, Lightwave, Photoshop and Modo is what keeps me on XP. I would jump ship if all these three software makers had [STABLE] Linux versions.
I'm surprised Adobe hasn't embraced Linux. Are there any plans to bring Photoshop or After Effects to Linux? I guess there's always Cinepaint. (http://cinepaint.sourceforge.net/)

Hullbr3ach
08-11-2005, 09:43 AM
It makes sense. For a studio with a whole bunch of PCs for modellers, per seat, it is probably a lot cheaper to go Linux (savings on licensing alone - for the OS - makes it worth while).
Well, I've worked at a studio where even the animators used Wacom tablets, therefore I am assuming that this would especially be the case for modelers, too. They were complaining that the Linux drivers didn't have jitter filtering and in the end, they switched them to Windows (among other reasons). In other words, saving on licences doesn't make it cheaper overall if your artists take longer to get their work done.

StephanD
08-11-2005, 12:29 PM
Yes hardware support is lacking in Linux that's why many of us including me still use windows but for distributed Rendering that wouldn't obviously be a problem...That or bug or bribe the OSS developpers :)

CGTalk Moderation
08-11-2005, 12:29 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.