PDA

View Full Version : Post here if you bought it! =)

minus23
09-18-2004, 02:31 AM
Come on... brag a bit.
If you bought Modo... post here.
I have to wait as the girlfriend wouldn't let me see her credit card. ;)

Nando
09-18-2004, 04:18 AM
:buttrock:

Xacto
09-18-2004, 05:44 AM
So far Modo rocks!!! It seems so much faster then Lightwave... running on a MAC Dual 2.5. :bounce:

mokba
09-18-2004, 07:21 AM
yahoo!! it goes faster than I can

ChristianFischer
09-18-2004, 07:29 AM
just downloaded it :thumbsup:

drkollossus
09-18-2004, 09:03 AM
At long last... I have documentaiton. now that it's out does that mean that my NDA is over? :twisted:

ambient-whisper
09-18-2004, 09:41 AM
got it. but mainly for morphs and mechanical modelling ( maybe ).

mav3rick
09-18-2004, 10:43 AM
damn
i was the 1st that wanted to order it before all of you and HELLLllll mother earth eat me ....
i was finished with order FORM and MY COUNTRY IS NOT LISTED !?!?!??!?
i wanted kill myself ... i just wrote mail to sales.... there is no croatia in list.... only YUGOSLAVIA?!?!?!? there is no yugoslavia for quiet of time and croatia is independend for 14 years

js33
09-18-2004, 11:03 AM
Maybe they need to add a geography module. :) Just kidding. I hope they can get it sorted for you.

Cheers,
JS

Colin de bink
09-18-2004, 12:25 PM
I just bought it and downloaded it and I'm playing around with it now
I bought it more as a toy for myself though, no professional intend here

chyer
09-18-2004, 12:29 PM
Got it!!
Wanna see whether its better than Maya/CPS.

ambient-whisper
09-18-2004, 01:40 PM
I just bought it and downloaded it and I'm playing around with it now
I bought it more as a toy for myself though, no professional intend here
same :) i dont think ill use it professionally yet. not until its got some more refinement into it.

AmbiDextrose
09-18-2004, 01:45 PM
How are the snapping options? Can you snap to a polygon/mesh/arbitrary projecton or reference plane?

BigJay
09-18-2004, 02:23 PM
LOL, so what is everyones take on it. Is it as good as it seems in the videos. Anyone notice anything cool missing from the videos?

draz
09-18-2004, 02:39 PM
I might be nuts buying without trying but what the heck, add one more to the list.

BinarySoup
09-18-2004, 03:27 PM
same :) i dont think ill use it professionally yet. not until its got some more refinement into it. ok, knowing you are a good modeler, I would love it if you could shed some light on what parts you feel need more refinement, also, what are you comparing it to, clay?, mirai?

cryo
09-18-2004, 03:28 PM
awwwww yeah. just downloaded my copy...schweeeet

BigJay
09-18-2004, 03:31 PM
does the serial number only work on one computer or would it install on a mac and a pc. One of the things I liked about lightwave is I could take my dongle and bring it to work and install lightwave there and here at home. is mod the same?

Xacto
09-18-2004, 04:48 PM
Works on my Powerbook and G5 with no problem... again, THANK YOU for no darn dongle!

bradpeebler
09-18-2004, 05:52 PM
Your user license allows you top use modo wherever you like, Mac or PC. It is up to you where you install it, but it is also up to you to make sure you are the only person who uses the license. We have decided to trust the community with our software and allow you to use it anywhere you like. In return, we ask that you treat us with the reciprocal respect and protect your user license.

We have also decided NOT to use hardware locks. It is our belief that customers will do the right thing and be legit. So long as our theory holds true and sales are not damaged via casual piracy, we will continue with this policy. We believe it is about time software companies trust the users. I hope we are proved correct. :)

BP

mav3rick
09-18-2004, 05:58 PM
Brad please if some1 can actually sort out my order problem... there is no my country listed in order form and actually i want to give my money ..... but somehow i cant:)

my patiece will eat me if i dont order soon :) lol

Nando
09-18-2004, 06:03 PM
mav3rick,

Brad posted this on the news section, so I think they are working on it. ;)

Currently we only offer the boxed version with manual and DVD (there are 2 hours of video on the disc). Since we are only selling direct at the moment we do not have the advantage of local distributors overseas. I apologize that this has increased shipping costs to some degree, but it also keeps the total cost of the package at the base price as no "middle man" is there to mark it up.

We are considering a download only version if we can find a good method for transferring a 2+ gigabyte install. :) The videos are really an important component of the application as they really assist with the learning curve. We are also talking to some distribution partners in various regions. This could help with total shipping costs as well.

I would like to note that we actually removed handling charges on our side after we saw the initial price of shipping overseas in an effort to share some of these costs with the customer.

Thanks to all who have ordered. Sales are outpacing our expectations thus far.

BP

bradpeebler
09-18-2004, 06:06 PM
Mav,

I apologize for the mix up. As you can imagine going global with the online site is a huge undertaking. Please send an email directly to sales@luxology.com so we can communicate a solution with you directly. I will contact our inside sales manager as well as our webmaster to see if we can rectify this asap.

BP

mav3rick
09-18-2004, 06:07 PM
nando my problem is rather simple i am actually PUT into YUGOSLAVIA instead croatia
there is no YUGOSLAVIA... and if there is SLOVENIA and other countryes from europe i dont see why croatia is not listed .... i have no problem with shipping i will pay extra charge for shipping i just want ONLINE order to work so i can download my copy.

mav3rick
09-18-2004, 06:10 PM
brad i already send my email to SALES department from NULL STUDIO... what i want is just to press order my amex card.
If there is no problem i can choose yugoslavia and put NOTE in comment to fix order on croatia or i will wait answer for solution from your sales department.... anyway try TAKE my money asap. lol:)

mbaldwin
09-18-2004, 06:42 PM
I've purchased it and have been poking around the interface while otherwise involved in weekend family life. My first impression is that it's incredibly well thought out. For me the interface IS the reason for buying, and in that respect, the app is spectacular.

It appears we're missing a few crayons from the box on the 1.0 release(no bridge tool, i'm sure i'll find others) but it's to be expected.

Any new interface takes a bit to get used to--I've got some e-reading of the manual before I'm totally comfortable. Much of what made LW Modeler's workflow great has been kept and expanded on. LW users should be very pleased.

I have no regrets with my purchase so far.

dotTom
09-18-2004, 06:42 PM
Ordered mine :-) All downloaded with 14 day serial, now just waiting for Lux to get back with the permanent serial.

BigJay
09-18-2004, 06:48 PM
THanks,

That is great to hear that it is easy on us users and not alot of security hoops to jump through.

Best thing about it is that I don't have to worry about a dongle snapping off on my laptop

Gwot
09-18-2004, 07:04 PM
Your user license allows you top use modo wherever you like, Mac or PC. It is up to you where you install it, but it is also up to you to make sure you are the only person who uses the license. We have decided to trust the community with our software and allow you to use it anywhere you like. In return, we ask that you treat us with the reciprocal respect and protect your user license.

We have also decided NOT to use hardware locks. It is our belief that customers will do the right thing and be legit. So long as our theory holds true and sales are not damaged via casual piracy, we will continue with this policy. We believe it is about time software companies trust the users. I hope we are proved correct. :)

BP
Ok now that is just about the coolest attitude I've ever seen from a software developer. Big thumbs up and respect from me. This is how it should be.

dotTom
09-18-2004, 07:13 PM
Ok now that is just about the coolest attitude I've ever seen from a software developer. Big thumbs up and respect from me. This is how it should be.
Yeah, I've personally bought both Maya 6 and XSI 4.0 Essentials and frankly I'd love to be able to use them on either my workstation or laptop without loads of grief - and if course it'd only be me using them. At least XSI doesn't use a MAC address based node locking mechanism and is dongle based. Perhaps as CG software becomes more of a commodity item like 2D software this will change - whatever, major kudos to Lux for trying some thing different. I guess like Softimage they need to grab market share - Lux can't survive and grow on ex-Lightwave users only. I haven't looked on eDonkey etc yet but I hope people don't abuse Brad's generosity.

bradpeebler
09-18-2004, 07:36 PM
Yeah, I've personally bought both Maya 6 and XSI 4.0 Essentials and frankly I'd love to be able to use them on either my workstation or laptop without loads of grief - and if course it'd only be me using them. At least XSI doesn't use a MAC address based node locking mechanism and is dongle based. Perhaps as CG software becomes more of a commodity item like 2D software this will change - whatever, major kudos to Lux for trying some thing different. I guess like Softimage they need to grab market share - Lux can't survive and grow on ex-Lightwave users only. I haven't looked on eDonkey etc yet but I hope people don't abuse Brad's generosity.

In the interest of credit where credit is due, much of our current policy about trusting the users in regards to our license scheme comes from Allen Hastings. Allen was adamant that whatever software protection we use it must not cause grief for the legitimate customer. We built a large graph of the potential solutions and in every case possible erred on the side of trusting people to do the right thing at the expense of more rigid control.

pensart
09-18-2004, 08:45 PM
YEAH!!! count me in :P

Paul-Angelo
09-18-2004, 08:46 PM
Yea, having a dongle or using a Mac Address doesn't seem to stop a program from popping up on P2P programs. A huge thumbs up on taking that hassle out of using the program. I always hated getting heavily into modelling in Lightwave to only notice when it's time to save that I was in Discovery Mode and can't save my object.

yog
09-18-2004, 09:21 PM

BP

I must admit when my copy downloaded and I discovered it was just a simple serial number that protected the software, not even tied into a machine based licence manager, I thought there had been a mistake. As it is still a temporary licence I was expecting the ton of bricks to drop later, i.e. the boxed version would arrive with a dongle. But no :thumbsup:

I have a few dongle protected apps, ATBH they give me far less grief than other forms of protection. Every time I Alter my hardware I'm always worried what it's going to do to my licence manager protected copy of MAX :sad:

A bold move by Lux, I really hope it pays off and shows some of the other companies that they don't need to make us legitamate users jump through hopes just to use their software :thumbsup:

ghopper
09-18-2004, 09:56 PM

BP

Currently, you just can't stop piracy. If software is popular, people will crack any protection, hardware or software based. So it is probably a better business decision not to go with hardware dongles, since it would cost more money.

However, protection is still important of course and I think the solution Pixologic use for example, is a balanced solution. No hardware dongles, but you still can't use the software on multiple machines, because it's tied to the Machine ID.

If you want to use it on multiple machines, you have to request another activation key. That way it can be monitored on how many machines it has been installed.

Anyway, thanks for trusting your users and hope you won't have to change your policy anytime soon.

florianf
09-19-2004, 12:35 AM
No dongle, after purchase instant download of the application and the shrink-wrapped box later in the mail? No cheap little tricks to squeeze some more money out of me. I thought it was a bit of a gamble to buy this application before trying it, but it was worth every penny. The speed of this app is unmatched, even on a three year old Powerbook it's super fluid. Not to mention a Mac and Windows version. Luxology rocks!

Other software companies should try to match this level of commitment and quality!

MunCHeR
09-19-2004, 01:46 AM
Well I must say this company attitude rocks, I use maya 6 on linux on my main workstation and it would be nice to do something constructive on my older PC while waiting for a render, hope the community doesnt let you guys down :thumbsup:

Cheers

MunCH

PS: If there ever becomes available a linux version I hope windows licences can be exchanged :D

Thalaxis
09-19-2004, 02:54 AM
In the interest of credit where credit is due, much of our current policy about trusting the users in regards to our license scheme comes from Allen Hastings. Allen was adamant that whatever software protection we use it must not cause grief for the legitimate customer. We built a large graph of the potential solutions and in every case possible erred on the side of trusting people to do the right thing at the expense of more rigid control.
It just goes to show that Maxon has had it right all along :)

Besides, none of the software protection schemes actually WORK anyway, so the only thing these foolish companies with their complex and costly protection schemes are doing is adding development overhead so that they can annoy their customers some more.

DimitrisLiatsos
09-19-2004, 09:44 AM

I second that.....

dotTom
09-19-2004, 11:23 AM
It just goes to show that Maxon has had it right all along :)

Besides, none of the software protection schemes actually WORK anyway, so the only thing these foolish companies with their complex and costly protection schemes are doing is adding development overhead so that they can annoy their customers some more.
Iíve often wondered about this and I think that apparently draconian measures like dongles and/or node locking are a reaction to casual theft rather than a total solution. Yes we all know that P2P networks are flooded with ĎMax protection crackers, indeed the same follows true for almost every expensive and desirable software package. I think the situation has changed in the past 2 years. The wide availability of broadband makes it far easier to get hold of cracked copies than say in the 1980ís when they would be buried deep on some BBS somewhere. Iím always amazed by the number of people I meet online who admit to having a copy of Max etc on their harddiscs but whoíve either never used it, or used it for 5 minutes Ė thatís not the point to them, as far as their concerned it gives them kudos or bragging rights. Irrespective of whether such copies represent lost sales for the ISVs is not the problem, the problem is that these same people steal movies etc. So they are in fact leeching both ends of the product pipe. If artists who do pay for the software have the market torn out from under them because studios wonít invest in new productions then the ISVs suffer again.

The current dongle/node locking situation represents companies clinging on to a mechanism not because they want to be a pain the arse for legitimate users, but because they know its increasingly ineffective but donít know what to replace it with. Public companies canít just follow the Luxology route and dump their existing protection without freaking out their shareholders and investors. Alternatives like the micro-payment / pay-per-use model which is often held up as a way of discouraging piracy makes it very hard for ISVs to fund new development. I might only use 20 to 30% of XSI or Maya, but thatís not the point, Iím investing in the whole Ė and good software architecture is often more than the sum of its parts, itís not clear to me how good architecture can be maintained and developed strategically under a ďpay per viewĒ model without a lot of fallout and mergers. If that happens people will just moan about being subject to monopolies that ironiclly they helped create through theft.

Digital Content Creation is in fact a relatively small sector (which is why I donít think Apple can survive long term in the PC / workstation market and maintain competitive R&D, esp. in the face of Linux on the client (let alone Longhorn) Ė but thatís another story) Ė what weíre seeing with XSIís recent price cut, Luxology and Maxonís policy etc is companies trying to adjust to the increasing commoditization of their market sector. Ultimately, like in politics, weíll end up with the market we deserve, if we abuse it and copy software then companies will go to the wall and choice and innovation will suffer. If you want the software and canít pay 100ís or 1000ís for it then either get the legitimate lite / throttled version, or go to college and get the student discounted version. Anyone who steals software for non-casual let alone commercial use should be buried at an unmarked cross road.

<Rant Off/> Sorry :-)

Thalaxis
09-19-2004, 02:00 PM
Iíve often wondered about this and I think that apparently draconian measures like dongles and/or node locking are a reaction to casual theft rather than a total solution.
(Snipped only for brevity.)

One thing I like about Maxon's attitude (which is seems Lux shares) is that they feel that the target of their wrath and the recipient of the "inconvenience" should be the pirate. So if a copy of Cinema4D shows up on a p2p site, they can look at the serial number and identify the person it's registered to, and go after that person.

I think the real reason that software vendors aren't chaning their methods is a result of who gets to make that decision.

And in any case, if you look at the financial data, the only real revenue loss from piracy comes from China. The domestic loss is trivial, because most of the MAX pirates (for example) are not potential customers anyway, and Discreet removed a lot of the incentive for piracy from the mod community by releasing the free GMax.

While I favor measures to deal with piracy, I think the focus on prevention is inherently flawed. The focus should be on enforcement. With most current methods, the actual pirates get away scot-free, while the legitimate users are penalized with the inconvenience. That's what you'd expect from pointy-haired folks.

(If you missed that refererence, you're not reading enough Dilbert.)

Para
09-19-2004, 02:30 PM
One thing I like about Maxon's attitude (which is seems Lux shares) is that they feel that the target of their wrath and the recipient of the "inconvenience" should be the pirate. So if a copy of Cinema4D shows up on a p2p site, they can look at the serial number and identify the person it's registered to, and go after that person.

You talk a lot and you're right about everything you said, but I just felt that I should clarify the bit I quotet "just for fun".

The way some software creates keys are based on the name of the user, so if software is registered to John Doe and his serial is 12345678ABC, it means that the serial is actually generated from the name with some wacky keygen code. This also has given opportunity to pirates to send "hidden messages" to the software companies, like a keycode that reports itself back to the company which made the software containing a message which can be something like "This was easy to crack. Try harder next time!".

By the way, today is the "Talk like a pirate" day :)

Steve McRae
09-19-2004, 03:42 PM
yup - got it here

Oddgit
09-20-2004, 06:07 AM
i am running a dual 2.ghz g5, mac os 10.3.5 and cant get it to run, i get a license error. any ideas on how to solve this?

bradpeebler
09-20-2004, 06:14 AM
I apologize of this is obvious, but did you download and install the license key? If so and you still have the problem, shoot a message to cs@luxology.com and we'll get it sorted.

BP

Oddgit
09-20-2004, 06:33 AM
yeah tried the modoLicenseInstall.command file, it pops open a terminal window, say it is done, and i get an ood error -8 license error. no biggie, i should be doing history of animation homework any way :D
i got so excited when i saw it was out, i ordered it then read the forums and discovered there is a LightWave user discount, i just sent off an eMail to sales support to see if i could get a price adjustment :/ i guess that is what i get for being over excited about an app ;)

Labuzz
09-20-2004, 07:12 AM
Just ordered!:)

juanjgon
09-20-2004, 04:14 PM
I am just downloading MODO now :) :) :)

I think that this could be the begining of a great new 3D app, and Luxology team has my support. :applause:

philthorn
09-21-2004, 02:54 AM
Downloaded it earlier today. I've only got an hour or two into it but it is VERY impressive so far.

I love the fact that I don't feel like I'm learning a completely new tool. With Modo's support for LW keyboard shortcuts etc. it's more like playing with a really awesome upgrade. :-)

Great job guys!!!

guidox2
09-21-2004, 02:49 PM
YES!!! just downloaded it :thumbsup:

Wireframes
09-21-2004, 03:30 PM
I donwload it yessssssssssssssssssssssterday ! http://www.cgtalk.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

Phil

lougandidas
09-22-2004, 12:53 AM
My boss purchased one licence. I get to test drive it.

digitaluka
09-22-2004, 02:13 AM
WHOA! Just downloaded it.
Just started reading the help and tring a few of the tools out. :bounce:
I would also like to thank the responsive sales staff for sorting out my order problem.
Well done guys.

rgwarren
09-22-2004, 02:47 AM
Congrats on thinking of the customer when choosing how to "key" the software. I enjoy how Cinema 4D protects their product and once again Luxology has shown it's class in the same manner.

After fighting with Element5/ZBrush/Install Anywhere I don't plan on using ZBrush on projects because if I need to switch/re-format machines it's a pain and the downtime isn't fun.

I want to KNOW that my modeling/animation apps are going to be there when I need them.

Don't even get me started with Photoshop CS. There isn't even a phone number for activation 24/7. Argh!

Sbowling
09-22-2004, 11:44 AM
Got it! Love it! Waiting on the box version so I can find out how much I'm still missing out on. kepp finding new cool things to use. Ok, back to Modo.

My Fault
09-25-2004, 06:53 PM
So can I load Modo up on more then one machine as long as I never use them at the same time?

Jockomo
09-25-2004, 07:22 PM
Feels like coming home to a long lost family! I haven't been this excited about 3D in a long long time.

"Allen was adamant that whatever software protection we use it must not cause grief for the legitimate customer."

Ya know, statements like that make me want to send them money, and I just did :)

mnbear
09-25-2004, 07:58 PM
I have used Lightwave since, well, before it was really even called Lightwave. I recently purchased a dual 2.5 g5 mac (the first mac I've ever owned) and shortly there after saw the MAC EXPO demo of Modo. I havent really done much with 3d for several years and was just beginning to learn about all the new things in lightwave 8. Modeler, however, I found, just hasn't evolved much... I am not one to diss a company like Newtek, but, I have feared (and continue to fear) that Lightwave just isnt as innovative and cutting edge as it SHOULD be.

After seeing the DEMO, though, I was hooked and purchased it without knowing a heck of alot about the software or the folks who made it (Brad Peebler?! coolness) Its strangely comforting to bump into people you've interacted with in the past who've treated you well.

In any case, from the very first moment I ran Modo on the mac I was impressed. It just feels right, and although I am still learning to do some really simple stupid stuff that I've known for years how to do on Lightwave Modeler, it is obviously more intuitive. The macro function alone was worthy of the price. At this point I just cant imagine going back to Lightwave Modeler.

There are few programs that come out that I would say completely revolutionize how you do things.... Lightwave did when it came out.... Recently, Apple's MOTION certainly did. And now, Luxology has released MODO which I can honestly say is the first HUGE leap in modeling to come in the last decade and here I speak of this having only begun to scratch the surface...

onlooker
09-26-2004, 01:49 AM
I gave in and bought it. I had to. Time to print out the manual, and start reading. :)

MunCHeR
09-26-2004, 06:14 AM
Yeah as onlooker says, I gave in aswell I dont really have the $$ considering the UPS charges and the tax I have to pay when my boxed version arrives but I just love that "warm fuzzy feeling" I got when watching the luxology videos.I guess I'd prefer a seperate modeller so I can do something constructive while maya is rendering.Waiting for a demo would probably have been a better idea but I think the guys have made a damned good product, its nice to see some of the luxology staff helping out and actually listening to users suggestions, I dont see alias doing that though duncan brimsmead drops in occasionally in the maya forum, and if theres a chance of a linux port then as a registered user I'm dang well gonna scream and holler and make a bit of noise, only wish I had some lightwave experience.:D

MunCH

Aegis Prime
09-26-2004, 02:03 PM
Try 'n stop me :D - I bought modo the day it was released - I've also booked 3 days holiday to spend some quality time with it (uh, and my wife... ;))

Paul-Angelo
09-26-2004, 07:51 PM
I bought Modo a few days ago. This software grows on you. The more I use it the more I love it. Now I can't wait for the DVD to arrive so I can learn even more.:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.