PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the Luxology Modo forum

Leonard
09-18-2004, 01:39 AM
Hi all,

To coincide with the launch and availability of Modo (http://www.luxology.com), welcome to the CGTalk Modo forum - officially endorsed by Luxology. You'll find links to this forum and CGNetworks in the Modo software. A big thanks to Luxology and Brad Peebler for working with us to make this happen.

Welcome all!

Leonard

SheepFactory
09-18-2004, 01:44 AM
Let the good times begin. Looking forward to seeing the modo community grow here.

:buttrock:

GaryHaus
09-18-2004, 01:53 AM
Rock on guys! I already ordered mine!!!

Gary

SheepFactory
09-18-2004, 01:54 AM
Rock on guys! I already ordered mine!!!

Gary

are you downloading? :)

Solomon
09-18-2004, 01:55 AM
Yes, Indeed - souped up Lightwave - may the games begin!!

Steve McRae
09-18-2004, 01:55 AM
let us know what your first impressions are . . .:)

GaryHaus
09-18-2004, 02:18 AM
I did download it. I am currently viewing the PDF docs. I am on a dual G5 2Ghz(2.5Gb of ram) It seems very fluid (albeit a bit alien compared to using Maya). I have been using using Maya since it was in beta years ago and this just seems more like what a modeler should 'feel' like. I will need to spend time(obviously) learning it. Anyway, off to play a little Fable for awhile.

Cheers,

Gary

zuzzabuzz
09-18-2004, 02:22 AM
A) Will actually be able to see stuff about it if I want.
B) Threads that pop up in the LW area can now be moved before the whole place burns down. :thumbsup:

PS: if anyone is allowed to say, I'm curious how much the Lightwave Freinds and Family discount is (but not going to jump through the purchase hoops yet.)

aesir
09-18-2004, 02:24 AM
so what makes modo better then other programs?

chikega
09-18-2004, 02:26 AM
It takes a little mo' do' to purchase than other modelers. :D

Mirandinha
09-18-2004, 02:34 AM
Nice! I want to see it in action...but I'm low on $$$ :shrug: Any word on the availability of a demo? :drool:

InTheCity
09-18-2004, 02:38 AM
It takes a little mo' do' to purchase than other modelers. :DHa ha ha. That's funny. But on a more serious note, any demo's available any time soon?

*edit* I was beaten to that question.

prajna
09-18-2004, 02:39 AM
It takes a little mo' do' to purchase than other modelers. :D

Good One!

js33
09-18-2004, 02:42 AM
A) Will actually be able to see stuff about it if I want.
B) Threads that pop up in the LW area can now be moved before the whole place burns down. :thumbsup:

PS: if anyone is allowed to say, I'm curious how much the Lightwave Freinds and Family discount is (but not going to jump through the purchase hoops yet.)The Lightwave discount is $100 so Modo will cost LW users $595. I want to buy also but have a few questions.

How long is the discounted price good for?

If we buy into Modo now will Nexus cost us less than if we wait and buy both together?

Cheers,
JS

minus23
09-18-2004, 02:42 AM
Brad Peebler just posted this in the news section about the Demo. So no more asking about it. ;)

We are considering a demo version and how best to implement the required technology to make it safe. We have some ideas on how to make it happen but no official word on if or when. Wish I could be more complete on this topic. In the meantime we will try to produce more videos to address specific questions that have come up on the forums.
End Quote

powerwave3d
09-18-2004, 02:49 AM
How do you get the $100 discount? Give them your Lw 8 serial #?

francescaluce
09-18-2004, 02:50 AM
probably nothing.. I consider this specif forum opening a collective isterism.. in the better of the cases..

ciao
francesca

Matariki
09-18-2004, 02:50 AM

How long is the discounted price good for?

If we buy into Modo now will Nexus cost us less than if we wait and buy both together?
JS

Those are my questions too. Particularly the first one.

Cheers

minus23
09-18-2004, 03:03 AM

There's more than this... but..
If you used Lightwave... Modo has N-gons..
It can save out to many different file formats... freeing up your options when it comes to rendering.
It is just plain sexy.
The Tool Pipe. ... While offered in similar forms in Maya / XSI... seems really well implemented in Modo.
Has Lightwave like endomorphs....
The community rocks! ;)
Is available on both Mac and PC.
Has very active development .... (If what we have heard in rumours is true).

Ollarin
09-18-2004, 03:20 AM
Wooohooo! A Modo forums!

Can't wait to see all the great stuff being done in Modo here. I wish this forum all the best! :thumbsup:

Kael
09-18-2004, 04:32 AM
Its against my religion to buy software that I havent tried before... do you guys think they might make a PLE sort of version or a demos software or something?

CTRL+X
09-18-2004, 05:22 AM
WEll Im here and glad to be,,, really looking forward to seeing this program in action as all I ever really need is a model software at work, I could care a less about animation.. so as soon as I can test drive the Personal Demo Edition.. and it is as Great as I have heard, they got my support.

lowkey
09-18-2004, 07:31 AM
Hi all,

i'm planning to buy a new system and wonder if modo will run fluently on the new iMac with a 1,8 Ghz 600 Mhz FSB and 1GB of RAM? It uses a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra.

Yes, i know the iMAC is not a professional workstation, but right now i can't afford to purchase a G5 System and WIN32 is a definite 'no-no'.

Any suggestions/opinions on this? :shrug:

Griffon
09-18-2004, 08:00 AM
Hi all,

i'm planning to buy a new system and wonder if modo will run fluently on the new iMac with a 1,8 Ghz 600 Mhz FSB and 1GB of RAM? It uses a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra.

Yes, i know the iMAC is not a professional workstation, but right now i can't afford to purchase a G5 System and WIN32 is a definite 'no-no'.

Any suggestions/opinions on this? :shrug:
It runs perfectly well on my 1.25 G4. You shouldn't have any problems.

Galo
09-18-2004, 08:11 AM
I'm saving up money, and untill then i'll just have to wait!

Nemoid
09-18-2004, 08:15 AM
Really happy!

Congrats guys.You are great. First the ZBrush forum, then this !:) we all want to know opinions on this puppy soon from people wich just downloaded it. :thumbsup:

phoenix
09-18-2004, 08:24 AM
VERY NICe to hear this

DDS
09-18-2004, 08:41 AM
I don't know how can a person buy it without trying it before.

Thx Moderators for this forum.

JacquesD
09-18-2004, 09:02 AM
Downloading it right now! :thumbsup:
Cheers,

The ripper.

superlayer
09-18-2004, 09:04 AM
I wouldnt buy it unless it has some serious advantage over max I MEAN SOME GOD LIKE MODELING TOOLS. It sounds nice though that it supports ngons.
Anyways gotta keep and eye on the forum. I am Also considering learning Zbrush. There are too many things to learn. :shrug:

ambient-whisper
09-18-2004, 09:39 AM
I wouldnt buy it unless it has some serious advantage over max I MEAN SOME GOD LIKE MODELING TOOLS. It sounds nice though that it supports ngons.
Anyways gotta keep and eye on the forum. I am Also considering learning Zbrush. There are too many things to learn. :shrug:
if you have Max then you should learn zbrush before modo. modo is still version 1.0 and kinda unstable at the moment. imo. ( maybe its the "nvidia bug" but i disabled vertex arrays.. so it should be better.).

lowkey
09-18-2004, 11:14 AM
It runs perfectly well on my 1.25 G4. You shouldn't have any problems.
Well, that's great news! :thumbsup:
Thanks a lot!

Kvaalen
09-18-2004, 11:22 AM
I got to try Modo out a couple weeks ago... I can say what is better about it than most programs: the workflow!

I used to think other packages have a good workflow, but when I got to use modo, I didn't think it was the case anymore. The next good advantage is the future! Nexus is looking sweeeet! the price of modo alone seems a little expensive, but from what I was told (by a Luxology representer) the two (modo and nexus) sholud be cheaper than most other apps. I don't want to give the exact number I was told because that was just the intention... it's not sure.

You have to use it to understand. I wasn't excited at all by the videos and talk that there were, but when I got to try it, I was shocked. It is just great! The former LW guys are doing a great job!

I sure hope there will be a demo so you all can experience the great workflow! :thumbsup:

From what I understood, modo is part of nexus, and the price of nexus will be an upgrade price for the modo users.

Nemoid
09-18-2004, 11:51 AM
You was so lucky to have the possibility to try it Kyaalen!!

Your infos are great too. I really hope to see a Modo demo soon, and that Lux will reach to make the final Modo/Nexus or whatever price quite cheap.

ambient-whisper
09-18-2004, 01:39 PM
well, after testing it for a few hours i think it should have been hyped up much less than it was. its got potential, definitely. but it seems like a standard 1.0 release. ( make interface work, a buncha tools and concepts and ship., then refine .)

AmbiDextrose
09-18-2004, 01:50 PM
Hmmm. Maybe that's partly why Lux is dragging it's feet about releasing a demo. I'd bet they'd release one if Modo was on, say, version 1.2. Still, it's too early to tell. I'd give them 2 to 3 weeks.

DimitrisLiatsos
09-18-2004, 02:29 PM
OLE ....great...now there is a place to ask questions about MODO....OLE

(i wonder when mine will come.....:bounce: )

Juzz
09-18-2004, 02:34 PM
I am changing to modo as soon as it becomes useable. Naturally I will buy the 1.0 version too.

mav3rick
09-18-2004, 02:36 PM
hey ccmon guys it is 1.0 give it a time... in NO time there will be update with new stuf features etc....... so nothin to worrye about demo and lux not relese demo... i am still waiting my COUNTRY to be listed in order page so i can place my order... i can't wait.....

Nazgul
09-18-2004, 02:37 PM
Ok so there is no PLE or whatnot but is there interesting videos of workflow and about what's so special about it?

I Dig XSI a lot. And you can customize it to be really speedy on the modeling if you want to(with v4)

DimitrisLiatsos
09-18-2004, 02:44 PM
.... ( maybe its the "nvidia bug" but i disabled vertex arrays.. so it should be better.).

Hey , have u tried it in a MAC 'cuase that's where i am gonne intall it (when it comes..argggh .. i envy u )...or..have u seen it run in OSX G5...is it ok or it has any issues with ATI cards ?

weeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Nazgul
09-18-2004, 02:49 PM
forget my previous post.. I just saw vids on their website...

cornel H.
09-18-2004, 03:45 PM
bought it - playing around with it.

feels like lightwave with a pretty interface.
a few things are bothering me:

- no way to customize mouse settings
(for a mouse settup like XSI in my case) !

- where's the bend tool ?

- I wish there was a tool to
regain or reset lost symmetry (with a falloff),
or force back symmetry (in case you screw it up with smoothshift in perspective mode).

- no context menues on right mouse button.

Overall: Nice tool but overpriced.

Steve McRae
09-18-2004, 04:20 PM
for maya users - how does the app feel when put in Maya mode?

are there marking menus??

ThomasMahler
09-18-2004, 04:25 PM
are there marking menus??

There are Pie Menus. Should be the same.

Steve McRae
09-18-2004, 04:26 PM
anyone who actually has the app?

sinthetic
09-18-2004, 05:43 PM
I was just browsing the Luxology site and I didn't catch whether or not this was an animation package as well or strictly modeling? If it is _just_ a modeler, is it all about the workflow, or the tools included? Or is everyone just hyped because it is made by LW guys and _looks_ sexy (which I admit it does;)?

With all these apps coming out (or current existing ones), Silo, Cheetah3D, Wings3D, Clay, etc., there seems to be a plethora of SDS modeling alternatives with _not_ so many definitive differences between them all except for their pricing scheme- Free to Expensive.

I am truly interested in this product for a couple reasons, just looking for some feedback on why one would choose this over something else if this is just another SDS modeler?

Nando
09-18-2004, 06:00 PM
Atomman,

Mouse viewport controls are just like Maya, and there is key board shortcuts for hotbox Modo Menus.

there is also color preference setting in the systems preferences a long list Maya being one of them, but I havent figured out how to apply them as there is no apply button and it doesnt updated the interface when selected.

Kvaalen
09-18-2004, 07:06 PM
bought it - playing around with it.

feels like lightwave with a pretty interface.
a few things are bothering me:

- no way to customize mouse settings
(for a mouse settup like XSI in my case) !

- where's the bend tool ?

- I wish there was a tool to
regain or reset lost symmetry (with a falloff),
or force back symmetry (in case you screw it up with smoothshift in perspective mode).

- no context menues on right mouse button.

Overall: Nice tool but overpriced.What do you mean by mouse settings? It's possible to a certain extent.
There is a bend tool. I don't know where it is or what it is called but it exists. I'm sure. I've seen it used. :)
LW doesn't have a tool to regain or reset symmetry, but many people made simple scripts that do just so (including me :p ). Shouldn't be long before one comes out for modo.

Hope that helps a bit. :)

bradpeebler
09-18-2004, 07:20 PM
Nando,

To use custom viewport colors, select the 3D viewport and then use the View pulldown menu > Viewport Color Scheme and set it to Custom. Now you can adjust it in the color preferences. Once you have it the way you like you can save this as a scheme and access it from the pull down menu.

Also, since this fires a command, you could attach that command to a key equiv for fast access.

B

Nando
09-18-2004, 09:08 PM
Brad,

Aaaah Got it

thx :)

santiago
09-19-2004, 02:33 AM
excuse my ignorance, but what is nexus?
by the way i just took a look at luxology's site and modo appears to be a serious competitor.
When it comes to guys like me mainly interested in modelling at the moment, it's nice to see an app like this. The least it will do is give CG app development a competion push me thinks.
I love those ngons too, very good very good

Gwot
09-19-2004, 03:33 AM
Kvaalen: by mouse settings he means being able to customize what your mouse buttons do, not just with LW or Maya presets (why anyone would WANT these is beyond me) but real custom mouse bindings, like Silo allows. Silo allows you to bind any command or viewport manipulation control to L/M/R mouse buttons, plus the mouse wheel, as well as CTRL,SHIFT, and ALT combinations. You can come up with some pretty slick custom user controls for Silo that go well beyond what LW, Maya or any other app allow the user for that matter. This feature alone is worth more than the price I paid for Silo because it can greatly improve your workflow beyond anything else that is out there today. No other application allows for such a customizable mouse-driven workflow that I am aware of. I'm really hoping that if this isn't possible with a 1.0 release for Modo, that it will be available soon after.

ambient-whisper
09-19-2004, 06:25 PM
Kvaalen: by mouse settings he means being able to customize what your mouse buttons do, not just with LW or Maya presets (why anyone would WANT these is beyond me) but real custom mouse bindings, like Silo allows. Silo allows you to bind any command or viewport manipulation control to L/M/R mouse buttons, plus the mouse wheel, as well as CTRL,SHIFT, and ALT combinations. You can come up with some pretty slick custom user controls for Silo that go well beyond what LW, Maya or any other app allow the user for that matter. This feature alone is worth more than the price I paid for Silo because it can greatly improve your workflow beyond anything else that is out there today. No other application allows for such a customizable mouse-driven workflow that I am aware of. I'm really hoping that if this isn't possible with a 1.0 release for Modo, that it will be available soon after.
very very soon after ;). i was hoping that this would be a part of modo since the beginning because of all the hype surrounding full customization. i was kind of dissapointed to see this not implemented in a simple yet usable form.

what would be really killer though is if we could also customize each tool and what the mouse buttons do when your using a specific tool. even if i have to press a modifier key to access the se options ( like ctrl+mouse button while in tool mode. this wouldnt interfere with navigation tools that you could have set to the mouse buttons. ( like only using middle click to tumble ).

kursad_pileksuz
09-19-2004, 06:39 PM
you guys should look under form editor-menu editor, that is where you modify most of your mouse settings! because modo lets you modify different asigginments to your mouse. you may need to create forms first to be able to assign it thou

h4sh
10-19-2004, 10:15 PM
you guys should look under form editor-menu editor, that is where you modify most of your mouse settings! because modo lets you modify different asigginments to your mouse. you may need to create forms first to be able to assign it thou
damn, that's what I call customisation. Thanks man. I guess I'll try to turn off hauling and replace it with selection, like maya does.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.