PDA

View Full Version : Ordering Modo

yog
09-17-2004, 11:29 PM
It looks like the much anticipated Modo from Luxology now has a store page for ordering, and it's status has changed to "Available".
It also looks like Lightwave users get an additional discount of $100, brining the entry price down to $599. :bounce:

LINK (http://www.luxology.com)

dtracy
09-17-2004, 11:45 PM
Hello,

If you are a LightWave user, you get an extra $100 dollars off, but you need the code! Be sure to enter: modo4LW in the coupon box, and be sure to have your LW serial number ready!

Best,
David Tracy
Inside Sales Mgr
www.luxology.com

nuclearfessel
09-18-2004, 12:15 AM
Just to let you know that Modo is now available immediately for download from http://www.luxology.com/store for the special price of $695.

mushroomgod
09-18-2004, 12:23 AM
I wonder if there will be a demo available soon?

nuclearfessel
09-18-2004, 12:24 AM
I wonder if there will be a demo available soon?
I just emailed them asking if there's going to be one

Beamtracer
09-18-2004, 12:32 AM
Woo Hoo! 2 1/2 years in the making, and it's finally out!!! I believe Modo (and soon its partner Nexus) will change the 3D landscape.

A couple of things about their website...
The introductory discount is there, though I can't see any special offers for people migrating from Lightwave 3D. Maybe they'll announce this soon. Also, I can't see a download option.

retinajoy
09-18-2004, 12:35 AM
Beamtracer - Look here for info:
http://www.luxology.com/modo/pricing.aspx

Gives you the modo4LW coupon code that knocks 100 off the 695 price. You have to give your LW serial number too. $595 is the LW8 upgrade price with manuals. :)

FunBucket
09-18-2004, 12:36 AM
This is from the Pricing and Availability section...

"Order now to take advantage of the introductory price of $695. LightWave users will receive an additional friends and family discount by using the modo4LW coupon code and entering your serial number in the comments field."

It takes off an additional $100. Not too shabby. BUT WHERE'S THE DEMO!?

TomerEp
09-18-2004, 12:45 AM
Finally :)

bradpeebler
09-18-2004, 12:50 AM
I wanted to pro-actively report an issue that exists with NVIDIA consumer level graphics cards. Currently there are some advanced OpenGL functions of modo that must be disabled on a specific set of NVIDIA cards due to an NVIDIA driver issue. If you have one of these cards modo will auto detect the card and alert you to the potential issue when you launch the application.

We have been working directly with NVIDIA and they have identified the issue and are currently testing an integrated fix for their drivers. I do not have an official release date from NVIDIA for this driver, but they say it will be soon. Until NVIDIA distributes this corrected driver, users working with consumer (GeForce) level NVIDIA cards will need to disable Vertex Arrays in modo to improve stability at the cost of mesh edit speeds (You may also experiment with older drivers which seem to perform more reliably). Once the NVIDIA fix is publicly available you will be able to reactivate Vertex Arrays and all should be well.

We have decided to make this information public in advance as a service to the community. We apologize for any inconvenience and hope that none of you are adversely affected by this issue. We thank NVIDIA for their proactive approach to this problem and look forward to the release of those new drivers!

Beamtracer
09-18-2004, 12:56 AM
Beamtracer - Look here for info:
http://www.luxology.com/modo/pricing.aspx

Gives you the modo4LW coupon code that knocks 100 off the 695 price. You have to give your LW serial number too. $595 is the LW8 upgrade price with manuals. :) Thanks for the info, retinajoy. Discounts for everyone! And that price is for the boxed version with real manuals.

There are many reasons why this app is set to become the major modeling app for film and television.

prajna
09-18-2004, 01:08 AM
Does anyone have any guidance on this? Boy I wish I could gather up the $$$'s--let's see, what can I sell? My liver, a kidnay, a gonad?

prajna
09-18-2004, 01:17 AM
Indeed it is good to see you here, posting for the first time (?). Welcome, and if time allows, you are heartily encouraged by all of us to post your views, thoughts, ponderings, rants, sermons, or whatever else your very interesting brain is capable of, on an ongoing basis. I've already requested a Luxology/Modo section, hopefully we'll have it soon. A great many of us are very excited with what you guys are still cooking up, and your interview given to our illustrious moderator is highly anticipated. Good luck with the launch, and thanks for the friends and family discount on Modo.

Oh yeah, any word on a demo, and how long promotional pricing lasts? Many are asking.

Peter Elias

Levitateme
09-18-2004, 01:19 AM
yeah why spend money...especailly that much when we dont even know if its good or not. they definatley need a demo.

kidcodea
09-18-2004, 01:19 AM
kickass support already? :)
welldone brad and the rest of the gang for completing this milestone.

thanks for trying to bring back the artist flow into 3d.
thanks also for achieving it.

peace and good luck even though you dont need much of that with such a product.

***** stars

Steve McRae
09-18-2004, 01:20 AM
anyone jumped in yet? :D

Nando
09-18-2004, 01:22 AM
Atomman anyone jumped in yet? :D
As soon as I get home through Los Angeles traffic.

;)

bradpeebler
09-18-2004, 01:30 AM
Were it that I had the time to post on the forums as much as I would like. :)

We are considering a demo version and how best to implement the required technology to make it safe. We have some ideas on how to make it happen but no official word on if or when. Wish I could be more complete on this topic. In the meantime we will try to produce more videos to address specific questions that have come up on the forums.

We are setting up a modo forum at CGTalk and in fact, there is a link to it directly from modo!

Back to work for me. There is a lot more over here we want to release to you guys asap. Gotta get it all worked up.

B

Steve McRae
09-18-2004, 01:30 AM
brad you may want to reconsider using ups shipping at least to Canada. We hate them up here. UPS is known as the absolute worst carrier from the states because of the exorbitant fees that they charge to bring anything across the border. I'm not talking duty either - they have their own 'special' fees . . .

cheers,

SheepFactory
09-18-2004, 01:38 AM
So people who purchased and downloaded already , give us your comments and first impressions! :)

SheepFactory
09-18-2004, 01:43 AM
closing this one , please use the other one.

leigh
09-18-2004, 01:44 AM
We are considering a demo version

Great news! I'm dying to give it a whirl :thumbsup:

Looking forward to hearing some impressions from all the new customers...

leigh
09-18-2004, 01:45 AM
closing this one , please use the other one.

I've merged the two threads now, Sheep.

KolbyJukes
09-18-2004, 01:46 AM
Hopefully we see a demo in the next week or two, I'm more then willing to spend the money, but not without trying the app first.

fez
09-18-2004, 01:51 AM
Can anyone comment on the speed of the subds compared to XSI and Lightwave?

mbaldwin
09-18-2004, 03:36 AM
ordered and downloaded my copy. So far, so good! Lightwave users will have no problem taking to the interface. now off to model something.

digitaluka
09-18-2004, 04:57 AM
I'm trying to order it now but I'm getting server error :cry:
By the way how big is the download
:drool:

Lyr
09-18-2004, 05:22 AM
how best to implement the required technology to make it safe.

Can Modo give you a disease if you don't use it with proper protection?

nuclearfessel
09-18-2004, 06:41 AM
Hello,

If you are a LightWave user, you get an extra $100 dollars off, but you need the code! Be sure to enter: modo4LW in the coupon box, and be sure to have your LW serial number ready!

Best,
David Tracy
Inside Sales Mgr
www.luxology.com (http://www.luxology.com)
Hey Dave, Its Faisal

will a LW6.5 serial work?

dtracy
09-18-2004, 07:16 AM
Hey Dave, Its Faisal

will a LW6.5 serial work?
Hi Faisal,

Yes, a LW 6.5 serial number will work.

-David

Beamtracer
09-18-2004, 07:22 AM
How long will the introductory discount last?

Wasn't there going to be a download version? This would be a good option for anyone who doesn't want to use UPS couriers.

[EDIT] Just realized that those who order Modo get instant access to the download version immediately. When you enter the Luxology store it's not very clear if you're purchasing a boxed or download version, or both.

nuclearfessel
09-18-2004, 07:28 AM
How long will the introductory discount last?

Wasn't there going to be a download version? This would be a good option for anyone who doesn't want to use UPS couriers.
Beam, the version you are buying is a download :)

playpiano
09-18-2004, 07:52 AM
Hei, i've got it. Fantastic!

milohas3Dee
09-18-2004, 08:14 AM
well... no try no buy

ThomasMahler
09-18-2004, 08:48 AM
Oh man, I thought it'd be available in October or later! Now I don't have the money together... Great work, Luxology, but I have to wait a little :(

Man, I'd buy it instantly. It's hard to believe that Modo wouldn't make me happy after everything I heard!

So, yeah, how long will the introductory price last? I certainly hope until October...

And: There are video tutorials, etc. coming with Modo, right? How big is the file you have to download after purchase? With 2 hours video it'd be rather big.

Griffon
09-18-2004, 08:55 AM
Oh man, I thought it'd be available in October or later! Now I don't have the money together... Great work, Luxology, but I have to wait a little :(

Man, I'd buy it instantly. It's hard to believe that Modo wouldn't make me happy after everything I heard!

So, yeah, how long will the introductory price last? I certainly hope until October...

And: There are video tutorials, etc. coming with Modo, right? How big is the file you have to download after purchase? With 2 hours video it'd be rather big.
The download is 30-40 megs but doesn't include the videos. You'll be shipped a box with manual and DVD.

schuubars
09-18-2004, 09:11 AM
Hi what's about the international users, without a CC?
No PayPal or something like(Element5) ? :(
It is a pity, that customers without CC becoming aggrieved.

But anyway gratulation on the release of modo. :)

dominicqwek
09-18-2004, 09:15 AM
hey anyone know where i can get all the videos on their site in a zip or something? I mean the videos that showcase the features in modo. Watching from their site is taking forever

ThomasMahler
09-18-2004, 10:20 AM
Can't wait to hear some impressions about Modo, guys.... :)

Beamtracer
09-18-2004, 12:05 PM
The download is 30-40 megs but doesn't include the videos. You'll be shipped a box with manual and DVD. It would be nice to have a pure download option, minus the cost of a printed manual, minus the UPS charges.

zen jehad
09-18-2004, 12:24 PM
I think it;s great Luxlogy are on the ball by here by releasing it now as they did, good signs about the company.

I'm going to wait till theend of the month before putting my order in, once my cash flow is back on track :)

Looking forward to getting my hands on this lil puppy.

MunCHeR
09-18-2004, 12:27 PM
$100 US seems a little steep for shipping, even to Australia:shrug:

MunCH

Steve McRae
09-18-2004, 12:31 PM
what is this $100 for shipping?

MunCHeR
09-18-2004, 12:39 PM
yeah for the box, manuals and dvd I guess, I just ordered 6 cg books from amazon, that was 2 packages and cost $66 for express delivery.

MunCH

NUKE-CG
09-18-2004, 01:30 PM
For that amount I'd expect them to hand deliver it, with a smile.

zen jehad
09-18-2004, 01:43 PM
Maybe Lux could put out a 30 day demo version, which can be authorised after the 30 days?

bradpeebler
09-18-2004, 03:22 PM
Currently we only offer the boxed version with manual and DVD (there are 2 hours of video on the disc). Since we are only selling direct at the moment we do not have the advantage of local distributors overseas. I apologize that this has increased shipping costs to some degree, but it also keeps the total cost of the package at the base price as no "middle man" is there to mark it up.

We are considering a download only version if we can find a good method for transferring a 2+ gigabyte install. :) The videos are really an important component of the application as they really assist with the learning curve. We are also talking to some distribution partners in various regions. This could help with total shipping costs as well.

I would like to note that we actually removed handling charges on our side after we saw the initial price of shipping overseas in an effort to share some of these costs with the customer.

Thanks to all who have ordered. Sales are outpacing our expectations thus far.

BP

f97ao
09-18-2004, 05:35 PM
Good luck guys with the sales! (that is to the Modo team) It looks like fun to work with. :)

/Andreas

nuclearfessel
09-18-2004, 08:46 PM
Hi Faisal,

Yes, a LW 6.5 serial number will work.

-David
thank Dave :)

by the way, replied back to your email :)

Matariki
09-18-2004, 08:50 PM
All excellent news. How long will the intro price last? I have to wait for some money to arrive and I wouldn't like to miss out by just a few days or so.

Cheers

Steve McRae
09-18-2004, 09:37 PM
I would like to know this as well . . .

CB_3D
09-18-2004, 10:13 PM
Would a LW 5.6 ALPHA serial work for the discount? Thats all i have privately since at work i have all the new LW stuff i need. And can we order from Portugal?

Thx

PS: id feel a lot more confortable if there was an <aproximate> release date for NEXUS, since i really would like to have a complete LW replacement for my work at home.

Dion Burgoyne
09-18-2004, 10:35 PM
Any Lightwave serial number can be used once... And the introductory price will last at least 60 days...

nuclearfessel
09-18-2004, 11:59 PM
Any Lightwave serial number can be used once... And the introductory price will last at least 60 days...
thanks for posting that Dion... that just made my day :)

i now have enough time to get the cash together to hopefully get it :)

Plunderhawk
09-19-2004, 09:31 AM
Hi what's about the international users, without a CC?
No PayPal or something like(Element5) ? :(
It is a pity, that customers without CC becoming aggrieved.

But anyway gratulation on the release of modo. :)

I have to agree on this point, I have the cash to buy this stunning 'looking' package but without a Credit Card I'm never going to own a copy.
I would like to see a PayPal facility so that I can buy it, Please!!

Fantastic job BTW. ;)

Beamtracer
09-19-2004, 09:34 AM
Hi Brad. Congratulations to the team for releasing Modo.

Since we are only selling direct at the moment we do not have the advantage of local distributors overseas.Local distributors are often a detriment. I can think of one I had to use to purchase Lightwave. I had to go to extraordinary lengths to bypass them, because they were impossible to deal with and they increased the price of the product without promoting it or offering any support. Direct is better!

We are considering a download only version if we can find a good method for transferring a 2+ gigabyte install. :) How about breaking it up into components? Application could be one download. Each individual video could be a separate download. Make it 20 separate downloads if necessary. People will still download them one by one until they've got the lot.

A total download solution is really worth exploring. People with ADSL/cable modems could handle it. Those with dialup can use the UPS courier option.

We are also talking to some distribution partners in various regions. This could help with total shipping costs as well.From my experience with Lightwave, distributors charge even more for courier delivery. Plus, they often don't keep the units in stock. They ship them one by one.

Think about this. As it stands now, customers far away who purchase Modo have to pay $100 or so for UPS couriers. Some countries charge $200 import customs inspection fee for all parcels over $200 in value. That the charge they lay to slit open the parcel and search for drugs and contraband. It applies regardless of import duty. Import duty may be hundreds of dollars on top of this again. Just to get a parcel through.

See what I mean? Parcels and boxes make can make the price of Modo much much higher.

Download would break free of this.

private
09-19-2004, 10:16 AM
We are considering a download only version if we can find a good method for transferring a 2+ gigabyte install. :) The videos are really an important component of the application as they really assist with the learning curve. We are also talking to some distribution partners in various regions. This could help with total shipping costs as well.
BP
Post a Luxology_videos.torrent file on your site and distribute the videos that way. It's an excellent way to send content. These videos could help swing people who are on the fence and would like to see more on what modo can do, especially if you guys are still at a quandry about putting out a demo version. An non saving modo demo would be fine, or a 30 day trial like Flash has would even be better.

I hope it won't be a repeat performance on who can get a faster, downloadable demo out, Lux or Newtek.

ThomasMahler
09-19-2004, 10:50 AM
I think its a great idea to make the documentary videos that come with Modo public - With Bit Torrent that shouldn't be a problem (I love the way Blizzard is distributing their videos, patches, etc.) and everyone who's not yet convinced of Modo would have the chance to see it in action without having to wait for a demo. That'd be very cool.

CB_3D
09-19-2004, 01:23 PM
I think its a great idea to make the documentary videos that come with Modo public
Would be great marketing, too. Just imagine all the small/medium sized companies where the boss would have to be convinced by the artist to buy him modo. They could use the videos to promote it. 30 day trial is + free videos would be the best way to go. The important thing right now is to build a huge userbase to build up a huge professional/semiprofessional userbase for NEXUS.

bradpeebler
09-19-2004, 07:48 PM
Good suggestions one and all. Thanks for the feedback you have given us some great things to consider.

Back to the drawing board! :)

BP

Balusilustalu
09-20-2004, 12:42 AM
I was wondering if any UK costumers have placed orders and would be particularly interested in hearing from them on the issue of added costs due to the greediness of EU import laws.

I am very keen on placing an order with Luxology but am a tad apprehensive because of the 'hidden' extra charge forced on us Europeans. I've done a bit of research trying to figure out how much extra costs would be involved. An educated guess tells me to expect another $160-180 to the bill (consisting of customs handling charges and UK VAT on top of the lot) merely because I am living outside of the US. Now this ofcourse is only because of the physical element of the product (the paper manual and the DVD). I'm currently mulling over this trying to decide whether or not that's worth the extra cash or if I should wait and see if Luxology decides to implement a 100% download option.
I always like having a decent paper manual to compliment the digital equivalent especially if it comes in full colour, but $160+ for that... ouch! It better come in a gold leaf embossed dust-cover box for that kind of financial commitment. ;) If anyone has received their shipment yet, please feel free to elaborate on it's contents. It might just be a deciding factor for me. :)

Gosh.. I'm starting to sound like so many of the others around here sitting on the fence nit-picking.. :)

Credit where credit is due though, I take my hat off and bow to Luxology for their work. Modo seems like the tool I've been waiting for ever since leaving LW (since V5.0) to move on to Max and Maya after that. Their cool attitude towards licensing in particular is worthy of applause. An act of faith on their behalf I would like to repay sooner rather than later... decisions decisions..

Ah.. this reminds me of another matter which I hope someone could shed some light on.
I have in my possesion my old LW5 license, serial, dongle, the lot... which was given to me by my old employers after they decided to make their entire internal development team redundant. This was a number of years ago (I'm guessing late 1998-1999). I can't remember if I/they registered the license in my name or to that of my former employer. Would I be able to use the serial number to apply for the modo4LW discount coupon or is more info needed?

digitaluka
09-20-2004, 04:43 AM
Has anybody from Australia had any luck in successfully ordering Modo?
I just can't seem to be able to get an order accepted?

Modo tech guys do you know of any problems?
Uisng OSX & Safari 1.2.3

cheers

awrieger
09-20-2004, 05:17 AM

Uisng OSX & Safari 1.2.3

cheers

Nope, no problems here on OSX/Safari 1.2.3. Filled out the form with all the relevant details etc and hit submit and I got the successful order confirmation and the download version link.

Just trying it out now.

aw

fastfingersneal
09-20-2004, 01:31 PM
Hello, I ordered another 3D software program in june and the shipping cost to the UK was $92. I had to pay the UPS guy a total 16 for import VAT & Brokerage Surcharges. I have got alot of software from the USA and the most I have ever had to pay in VAT etc was 20. So I can't see modo costing more than 15-20 extra on what you have already paid on your credit card.

Balusilustalu
09-20-2004, 01:51 PM
Hi fastfingersneal,

thanks for your reply. 20 Sounds perfectly reasonable. Was this for a similarly priced software package compared to Modo if you don't mind me asking?
It seems to be a bit hit and miss with UPS apparently, with some people getting charged a lot more than others....

fastfingersneal
09-20-2004, 01:59 PM
The 3D software I got was ElectricImage Animation System 5.5. It came with an 800 page manual and dvd. The whole package was about 1.8kg in weight.

Balusilustalu
09-20-2004, 02:16 PM
fastfingersneal,

hehehe.. almost identical in price and package content to what Lux. is shipping then. Excellent. :) Thanks again!

ps.. good choice on EI!

mav3rick
09-20-2004, 02:35 PM
Brad any news on my order status?.... checked store still nothin changed for me:( i am in big need of modo .... holding deadlines:)

jlinhart
09-20-2004, 03:10 PM

Uisng OSX & Safari 1.2.3

cheers
The only issue that I can think of would be caused by having cookies turned off. The store has been tested in as many recent platforms / browser combinations that I could come up with. OSX w Safari and Win 2k/XP with IE and Firefox being the main ones.

Let me know what part of the process is causing the problems through a PM and I'll see what I can do.

.jason
www.luxology.com

cremegg
09-20-2004, 04:52 PM
How about breaking it up into components? Application could be one download. Each individual video could be a separate download. Make it 20 separate downloads if necessary. People will still download them one by one until they've got the lot.

A total download solution is really worth exploring. People with ADSL/cable modems could handle it. Those with dialup can use the UPS courier option.

Think about this. As it stands now, customers far away who purchase Modo have to pay $100 or so for UPS couriers. Some countries charge $200 import customs inspection fee for all parcels over $200 in value. That the charge they lay to slit open the parcel and search for drugs and contraband. It applies regardless of import duty. Import duty may be hundreds of dollars on top of this again. Just to get a parcel through.

See what I mean? Parcels and boxes make can make the price of Modo much much higher.

Download would break free of this.

I have to agree with all of this. I had assumed this morning that there was a download only option and was ready to purchase modo. Considering how much of a strain $595 is to me at the moment things start to look a whole lot worse when you add on UPS shipping, administration charges and the inevitable VAT.

It would be good news for me, others and luxology if a download only option could be actioned before the end of the introductory pricing.

Keeping my fingures crossed.

iKKe
09-20-2004, 06:30 PM
My old LW 5 serial wasn't recognized, so I ordered modo without the extra $100 rebate, and assume the Lux sales guys will look into this, I mailed them.

The 3D software I got was ElectricImage Animation System 5.5. It came with an 800 page manual and dvd. The whole package was about 1.8kg in weight.

Yep, Good choice on the EI purchase!

The Modo .obj exports, are excellent in EI, nice smooth mesh :-)

Maybe we can get Lux to support .fact files, if there are more EI users, i am having trouble with morph targets.

Levitateme
09-21-2004, 12:42 AM
Anyone tried the nvidia 66.31 drivers for that vertex array problem?

ztargazer
09-21-2004, 11:43 AM
Any info on how the upgrade/patch support is for version 1.0? For exampel, are you entitled to free/discounted uppgrades/patches within 1 year of purchase or something similar?

bradpeebler
09-21-2004, 03:55 PM
Minor updates and bug fixes are free. Major feature release upgrades will be paid (users of current version will get a discount of course). We have both scheduled and in the works.

BP

tjnyc
09-21-2004, 04:22 PM
Brad,

Its been great that you and some of the other Luxology guys have been active and answering questions and taking care of issues. Being a new user, it gives me a good sense of what to expect from you guys and the level of commitment to your userbase.

Cheers,

bradpeebler
09-21-2004, 05:09 PM
Brad any news on my order status?.... checked store still nothin changed for me:( i am in big need of modo .... holding deadlines:)

Hey Mav,

Croatia should now be on the list so you are good to go!

BP

dtracy
09-21-2004, 06:19 PM

Uisng OSX & Safari 1.2.3

cheers
Hi there,
You should have no problems ordering now. I have emailed you with more detailed info on this.

-David

mav3rick
09-21-2004, 06:50 PM
Brad
Good work i will send info to other friends that wait Croatia to be listed.
WE ARE READY TO BE MODOMIZED :)
hehehe
hear you!

thank you.... keep on this kind of community work and LUXOLOGY is about to takeover the leadership
:)

mav3rick
09-21-2004, 07:18 PM
got modo!

:)

mharrison
09-21-2004, 11:00 PM
I'd also like to see a download only version, UPS kills us Canadians with "brokerage fees" when anything gets shipped through them, even though there is no duty on software due to free trade, just VAT (GST).

As to the size of the videos, if they are currently DVD-quality, they could always be re-encoded to something smaller, like the Ensharpen codec or DivX or whatever codec they use on Lynda.com. That would probably reduce that 2 GB download to a couple hundred megs.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.