PDA

View Full Version : Shaded to wireframe overlay

westiemad
09-17-2004, 10:20 PM
I want to have my spinning shaded model show its wireframe over the top of it, (like all the modelers reels) can someone tell me how to do this as if explaining it to a 3 year old child, i'm on shake 2.5 somthing for windows.

Hugh
09-18-2004, 11:20 AM
I'm assuming that you can render your wireframe out of Maya as one-sided only (so you can't see the hidden faces)?

If so, get a white wireframe on a black background of the whole animation, as well as the shaded animation...

Bring both your wireframe and your shaded sequences into Shake, and check if the wireframe has an alpha channel (view it, then click on the viewer and press 'A') - if it does (ie, not all black), then you're ready to go, otherwise you need to give it an alpha...

To give it an alpha, use a Reorder node, with the channels set to "rgbr" (this will make it use the red channel as the alpha)

Then, create an Over node - connect the background to your shaded animation, and the foreground to your wireframe-with-alpha.

To change the colour of your wireframe, chuck a Mult node before the over - if the original wireframe was white, you can set it to any colour you want here.

To fade it out, use a Fade node (If you change the alpha in the Mult node, you'll probably want to use a MMult after it to get it looking right...)

Let us know if anything doesn't work...

westiemad
09-18-2004, 11:33 AM
AH! I forgot about you Hugh, the pipeline tools writter for shake! Doh. Thanks m8, I'll go and have a play, so much to render :( and only 8 Gigz of processors

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.