PDA

View Full Version : How to manage materials with textures ???

juanjgon
09-17-2004, 05:17 PM
Hi,

I have a serious workflow issue with materiales in XSI 4.0 ... i want to manage material libraries for massive use of it in complex architecture scenes. In Lightwave when you assing bitmap textures to a object you use numerical values to define size, rotation, position, etc. XSI bitmap texture application ussing supports and projections is incredible powerful, but how can i save a material with all his bitmap texture information to create a library, or how can i apply this material to other object without loss textures size, position, etc.?.

In Lightwave you simple save or add material to library and then load or apply it to other object with all texture information, but is posible this in XSI? I can do it with simple shader or with procedural textures, but not with bitmaps.

Thank you ...

3DDave
09-17-2004, 06:03 PM
Save the settings for the material from the "Material" node.

juanjgon
09-17-2004, 06:31 PM
Save the settings for the material from the "Material" node.

Yes, i made that a lot of times, but bitmap textures load without texture projections, so i loss all position, size and rotation data ... texture link is there, but no info about projection type and projection, so no textures are rendered in new object.

Ablefish
09-17-2004, 07:19 PM
If several objects are going to be textured the same way(simple projections), have their projections share the same texture support. Create/Import the new object and then Get->Property->Texture Projection->Connect to Support.

I don't know how complicated the objects are, so if you had to do a lot of work in the texture editor tweaking, keep in mind that the shared support object might not be enough. Bottom line though, if your shared material makes use of images, its going to need to know how to map those images to whatever objects happen to be sharing the material. The projections don't necessarily need to have the same name - an Image Node in the rendertree will just assume the 'topmost' projection if it's not specified. Hope that helps.

AdrianLazar
09-18-2004, 10:08 AM
hi, i have a short question, somehow related to this thread... can i save a material (with shader etc etc) externaly so that i can apply this material to an other object in a new scene? the way that you can save materials library in 3dsmax....
i had an impression that was asked this question some time ago but i dind't fine anything accurate with the search
Thanks!

juanjgon
09-18-2004, 10:25 AM
Yes ... but without texture projections. You can save a simple material or a material with only procedural textures, but if you have bitmap textures, here is the problem ... XSI dont save texture projection information, so when you load this material to new objetc, all bitmap texture information is not here, so material is broken.

I am going to write to Softimage about a idea for future release, that could be a new shader who can work like a procedural texture, but with the function of apply a image ussing numerial absolute values for projection type, position, rotation and size, in some way that Lightwave make it, so this shader could be independent of objects and texture projections and supports, and you coudl have this material in libraries for massive uses.

AdrianLazar
09-18-2004, 10:33 AM
hmm... how and where can you save a material ? i come from 3dsmax world and i'm a bit confused about xsi... when i say material i mean all the nodes in the render tree, with the settings that i made...

juanjgon
09-18-2004, 10:35 AM
Like 3DDave say, you can save a material selecting his node and click on save in property editor, or even now in 4.0 you can save all materials in a library to import them in other scene, but with limitations i say ....

francescaluce
09-18-2004, 04:03 PM
how can i apply this material to other object without loss textures size, position, etc.?. the best thing you could do is just to use implicit texture supports.. use a texturespacegenerator and a textureedit nodes.. also what you need to use is the imagelookup node instead of the standard image node.. that one allows you simply to use implicit projections to drive the coordinates of your texture on a per-rendertree basis.. and save with it also the SRT changes and so on you make in the texture edit node.. your objs will need just to be mapped so that the implicit texture edit node can work on that relative texture space... in the spacegenerator you will leave untouched the texture space so each obj will use their own.. (or just assigning one from there will assign one to every obj sharing that mat, already fixed to their size) that will share all the same SRT from the texture edit node saved in the shadergraph.

ciao
francesca

juanjgon
09-18-2004, 04:24 PM
Thank you Francesca ... i think that something like that could be the solution. I am going to try it ....

Thank you again.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.