PDA

View Full Version : Animation test Smoke man

iv4n
09-17-2004, 04:53 PM
heres my last work in progres, its a man, he smoke then the smoke eats him.
I used Lightwave, but now I m working on the "smoke monster", Tell me everything you see wrong or any opinions about this , sorry for my english, I m spanish, ;-

0http://www.imagestation.com/video/view.html?id=4143886428&dl=1

manton
09-17-2004, 05:36 PM
link doesn't work

iv4n
09-20-2004, 08:21 AM
first do this:
1.- when open the link, copy it!,
2.-open your player,
3.-and go to open url , then paste ....

tank´s for your coments.

The animation Link (http://www.imagestation.com/video/view.html?id=4143886428&dl=1)

Self-Designer
09-20-2004, 12:12 PM
Good job i think. Here are my comments:

I think you have to more exaggerate the movement of the brows when he takes the 1st inhalation - i mean when they get closer. As a no-smoker, it's something i've noticed and really wonder why do they do that?

What's going on with the cammera movement and jumpin?

iv4n
09-21-2004, 09:53 AM
[QUOTE=Artist 3D]Good job i think. Here are my comments:

thanks a lot, this is a camera jump because, I editing whit diferent cameras in After efects, yes , when they smke, do that, ji ji ji....

Bonzo
09-21-2004, 01:41 PM
Being an ex-smoker, I can tell you they inhale deeply with crossed eyebrows is because cigarettes taste like crap. So they have to mask the fact that they're breathing chemicals.

Anywho, not trying to start a flame war, so moving on:

as for the animation, I believe the best part that makes the character feel the most real is when he tries to peek around the cig and moves the lighter. You've done a good job here, and I really feel a sense of the character and his movement.

The aspect that i feel is most lacking is the linear fashion in which he moves. When he moves his right arm, it looks as if his arm is just moving from pose to pose, not necessarily flowing his arm through his poses. I'm not sure in what way Lightwave treats animations, but simply by adding more keys at extremes where you can create more arcs and use timing to make the movements flow better would be in order. I'm not sure why the camera has so much movement in the first place. If you rendered out the frames while the camera is stationary, it shouldn't matter what effects in After Effects are used.

I think that this animation really does a nice job setting up a story. You have said that you want to have the smoke eventually eat the character. Great idea, and when i picture the rest of the animation (the way the character would jump out of his chair, the poses of fright that the character could strike, and the nifty smoke effect) it seems like a good idea for a very short story.

Please also work on giving the community a link or file that we could use ourselves. Why didn't you render out an actual deliverable in AE? In the future, consumers here would rather have a file that we could download at our convenience.

Good job and keep it up!

Bonzo

iv4n
09-22-2004, 08:14 AM
first, thanks for your coments, I ll try to do the best, is very important to my, the fact that it looks natural, so you are all right about the lineal movement,
now I´ll try to atach new link, hope you´ll see it.

it was dificult to my trying to put the link correctly, I have my work in a free home page, "imagestation", then I copy the link from the download video section. I ll see other way to do that.

iv4n
09-22-2004, 05:01 PM
here´s the animation corrections, hope you can see it
see here, copy and paste in your player as a URL (http://www.imagestation.com/video/view.html?id=4142623657&dl=1)

Self-Designer
09-22-2004, 07:28 PM
There's one strange thing that it seems as if after lighting the ciggarette he has to move it with his hand to take the 1st inhalation. More then that, the brows' crosing is too late i think - maybe it's because of that correcting-ciggarette-angle time.

And another thing is that the brow-crossing (yeh, again) isn't authentic enough, pointing about the strength of him. Like smiling when you're sad. It's merely the mouth which smiles, the eyes are still sad... maybe you should add some folds between the brows.

Another thing is that he leans on his right elbow. And when lighting the ciggarette, he doesn't pass his center of weight at all though the elbow is not on the couch anymore. I'd expect to see him moving abit to the left (his left, not our).

The shape of his mouth while exhaling seems as he has a small smile like "don't tell mom" which brings me to the next point.

His eyes movement. He looks like his guarding his place. Does his mother know he's smoking? "Shh.... don't tell mom!" ;)

And finally: his legs doesn't move at all. Dunno what to do with them, but i bet they should react somehow to his movements - maybe it's connected to his leaning thingy.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.