PDA

View Full Version : delete hidden

celmar
09-17-2004, 09:36 AM
it's a constant fonction to use the delete hidden, with clones of a tool... unfortunately, the mask is never "clean", and the trim is jagged... there is no way to have clean "cut" on tools
3d ?...( except by passing by nurbs)...

aminuts
09-19-2004, 07:46 AM
Hi marcel...am not quite sure I understood your message.....but
is it too hard with what you wish to do ....to ctrl-shift drag the parts you want gone then ctrl-drag those parts to mask them.........

if its the same part you wish to delete....can you do that...then delete hidden.....then save tool and redraw to recreate in multiples?...with the desired parts missing......or is it a different part every time? I suspect not because you are using clone.....but am not sure?

Hope maybe something there helped or gave ya an idea!

celmar
09-19-2004, 08:13 AM
thank you, aminuts!... the diffrence of langage is really something difficult, even with zbrush as a "middle transdlater":... what I mean is explained by the picture joined: I use often to model the whole "thing", here a body of "snake", then clone, then delete parts, and so I have at the end my model on different part, that I can turn and so on, and rework "alone"... but the cutted area is not clean, whatever the level of subdivision... I have joines too a "cut" in rhino, and the cutting area is perfectly neat... I understant that poly are different, but I woukld ask if having a "cut" more precise would be possible, without jagged polys...?

Roger Eberhart
09-19-2004, 02:29 PM
Can you use an alpha to hide geometry in Zbrush? I would think an anti-aliased alpha map would be a little smoother than those jagged polys. Your cut in RHINO is smooth because NURBS have an infinite resolution. One of the very few cases where NURBS are superior to SubDs.

aminuts
09-21-2004, 06:42 AM
Hi Marcel

I see know what you meant......I don't think....or least I haven't found a way to always get perfectly smooth "cuts". Sometimes it works...I think it really depends on how the polys are laid out and what level you wish to do the "cutting" at.

Sometimes I do it this way.....I have one pic in the works where I only need faces for masks (the objects....not masks for masking) and I was cutting away the unnecessary parts like the back of the head etc.

First I masked a slightly larger area than I really wanted and inversed it so the face was the visible part....then I used polygroup visible. That colored up the face in a different group and gave me a line with which to work. Then I inversed again and hid visible.....then went to geometry and deleted hidden....so all that was left was the oversized face.

Then I subdivided to a point where I wanted the model to be for final bumping etc ...then I carefully used the ctrl-shift drag option to eliminate the rest.......

That worked ok for most of the model but some curves are still kinda goofy but it was enuf for my purposes this time around.

If you want super clean though....."cutting" it in another app is probably the way to go.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.