PDA

View Full Version : bend tool

KillMe
09-17-2004, 04:28 AM
is it jsut me or does this tool suck - i was jsut modeling a cacktus out of a couple of tubes went to bend one from horizontal and couldn't get it to work then i thought i know i'll deform is bya curve - yup you guessed it didn't work out either - can anyone provide an insight as to how these tools work or do i have to grab teh points and move them all manually while modeling in xsi?

JDex
09-17-2004, 04:42 AM
Maybe posting a Screenshot of what your problem is, and the settings in the PPG for the bend op would help us help you...

As of right now, all you've told me is that it sucks, and how can I make it not suck.

BTW, I have had great success w/ the bend deformer (on the few occasions that I needed it).

Cheers

KillMe
09-17-2004, 04:58 AM
ok dokey let me try to explain abit more

first up let me say that i have only had xsi afew days and am still very used to lightwaves interactive tools

now i have what you see below and the polys i have selected i want to bend up in a cacktus like fashion - i went for the bend tool adn ti poped up this horendous looking dialog box i couldn't make head nor tails off

if someone could tell me how to make the tools work for this specific case and in general as while its not a tool i use everyday its one that i do use now adn then and would like to be able to call upon its services =)

XSI is not the easist 3d app to learn but at least it beats maya hands down ( though i haven't tried maya's bend tool perhaps its easier =)

JDex
09-17-2004, 05:58 AM
Umm... well I did what you are trying to do... if this is what you are trying to do.

If you don't understand the options in a properties page (PPG), just click the little "?" button in the upper right of the PPG... it will explain each option in detail, and will at the very least give you an idea of what things do to experiment with.

KillMe
09-17-2004, 12:14 PM
ok now this is infuriating - i plonked a tube in and did it and it worked - no problems at all - yet yesterday i was getting very strange results =/

perhaps during the boolean to the other tube it resulted in some bad geomtrey that was messing things up somehow though i thought i had cleaned it up

anyway thanks for pointing out the ? i hadn't noticed it before

JDex
09-17-2004, 01:56 PM
You have to be aware of where you are in the command history... experiment a bit to get the knack for what you can change down the stack.

Create a sphere, select a patch of faces, disolve them... go back into the Geometry PPG and adjust the number of subdivisions... watch your mesh go insane. Same with booleans. Do every mesh modification you can to get as close as possble to the end result you desire, before doing boolean operations... freeze modeling, perform boolean, freeze modeling and continue modelling.

You get the flow with time.

Ablefish
09-17-2004, 04:21 PM
To be honest, while the Bend deformer does work... I found I missed Maya's visual cues with that particular deformer. It always takes me a while in the property page to sort out what's bending around what or moving the bend point, etc.

jorgevaldes
09-17-2004, 07:22 PM
Off Topic and stupid question:

How do you capture screenshots on a PC? I only know how on macs.

gent_k
09-17-2004, 07:30 PM
How do you capture screenshots on a PC? I only know how on macs. Today 05:21 PM
"Print Screen" button on your keyboard, and then you paste it in your Image editor.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.