PDA

View Full Version : First Zbrush attempt

skipstah70
09-17-2004, 04:13 AM
Hi ...I just wanted to post my first effort with this awesome software. A Gallimimus of sorts ... still ahve yet to figure out half of the tools though!! Quite a bit different than Deepaint of the old studiopaint.. but way more versatile IMHO. If only I could figure out how to the Zspheres :eek: c & c welcome...

Skisptah

roguenroll
09-17-2004, 04:55 AM
looks great to me, nice detail. man I dig zbrush

Kanga
09-17-2004, 02:30 PM
If only I could figure out how to the Zspheres :eek: c & c welcome...

Skisptah
If you have the 'Practical Guide' (ZBCentral pdf file) there is a step for step walkthrough on z-spheres.

Nice dino!
I'd get some specularity on the skin, lizards have that.

Keep em comin
Kanga

skipstah70
09-17-2004, 07:36 PM
Ah master Kanga ...Thanksfor your tip. I will finally have to fo some reading in that manual !! Re: the Spec value however... I actually have a question about that. It seems that Z has no way of generating and independent spec map inside the program ? normally if this were the case I could cook something up by hacking the colour map and doing some treatment to it in PS, but with the GUV tiling .... the UV's are pretty cryptic. Is there a way in Z to generate a Spec map for export??

Skips

Kanga
09-18-2004, 11:21 PM
Hi skip!

Read your mail a bit late but I guess beter than never.

I will start out by saying I am new to ZB so any advice I give might not be the best way to do things.

If you are rendering in ZB itself then a study of material will get you up to speed on specularity, but if you want to render in an outside application then a specularity map will make things more realistic.

Here is how I plan to do it.
Have a version of your model without any texture (colour) applied. Make your base colour black. Create a new texture with resolution 2048x2048 (quarter, half or double this whatever you need) then spray white where you want the specularity to be. Export the texture like you would normaly for another application (see the practical guide on this) a tiff format is recomended as it has greater bit depth. Load the bitmap into your material editor as a specularity map. 3DMax has a special slot for this. Then specify how strong you want the specularity to be and also what colour.

That should work.

If you find a better way to do this I would be glad if you would let me know.

Greetings Kanga

celmar
09-18-2004, 11:26 PM
hello!.. if you render in zbrush, the simplest is to paint directly values of a material, with more or less specularity, on your tool... in other words, you can paint diffrents values on very small areas, and change from one to another...

skipstah70
09-19-2004, 10:56 PM
Thanks Celmar..that sounds exactly what I would like to do ...but can you tell me if you can then export that material's painted specular value for use in another program? .. like Kanga has suggested. That would be awesome !!!

Skipstah

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.