PDA

View Full Version : limited view with viewport/rotoscope

evan
09-17-2004, 01:03 AM
Hello XSI users, I have a small but irritating problem (no rude remarks thanks :D )

When I setup a rotoscope in a XSI viewport (for modeling reference) and then proceed to model, etc. and then need to zoom in close to the mesh/image there is a very limited area left in which to make "tweaks" etc. (the viewable area is reduced when zooming in with rotoscopes). Can anyone enlighten me as to how I can fix this? Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
Evan

titaniumdave
09-17-2004, 01:28 AM
You need to lock the viewport. Theres a icon on the menu of the viewport that looks like a magnifying glass. Click that and it'll lock the viewport then you can zoom, pan, etc.

evan
09-17-2004, 04:07 AM
titaniumdave, sorry mate, my fault, I did'nt explain my problem very well. I know you can lock the view and zoom/pan without loosing the relationship between the two, and even use the mem camera buttons if you do happen to loose that connection, but, when I zoom in very close to the mesh I have a very limited view of the actual model/mesh (only views with rotoscopes). Its a hard one to explain.

Evan

JDex
09-17-2004, 05:13 AM
Go into the camera properties and adjust the clipping plane... that may help.

I just tested it... you must be getting extremely close to the image...

I made a quick 511x511 image and on a white BG I put a single black pixel...
I loaded into rotoscope, and locked the view then I made a sphere and set to wireframe.

I framed the sphere so that I was looking directly at the middle-most vertex adn dollyed in until that single black pixel filled up the entire viewport and kept going a bit more...

Eventually the image and vertex dropped out of the view.

Why would you possibly need to zoom in that far?

evan
09-17-2004, 05:27 AM
here's an example of what I mean. the top/bottom of the zoomed in screengrab is cropped/clipped. is this normal or is there a way around this? Thanks very much guys.

JDex
09-17-2004, 05:36 AM
Ohhh....

This should do ya...

Ablefish
09-17-2004, 03:06 PM
I think it actually has to do with the aspect ratio of the rotoscope image. Your best bet is to go into photoshop and add a background border to your image, maybe something approximately 4:3 so it fills more of the viewport.

3DDave
09-17-2004, 03:47 PM
I think you are saying, the viewport gets cropped to the image size? I don't think the intent of Rotoscope was to assist in modeling.

You can make a plane (grid) and texture map the image to that.

ztargazer
09-17-2004, 04:33 PM
Anyone who knows if there is a script that helps in setting up imageplanes for you?
That is, it creates a front and side imageplane and puts them in a layer, preferably with a nice gui where you can use the file browser to get the ref image that you want.

I guess it's not that hard to script it my self but I'm feeling lazy today... :)

Ablefish
09-17-2004, 05:11 PM
I've always used the rotoscope for modeling. Assuming your reference image includes your whole object, what do you need to go outside the frame in the orthos anyways?

evan
09-17-2004, 09:38 PM
Thanks Guys, you've all be a great help.

3D Dave - The image planes are deffinately the wat to go I think. :)

Ablefish - It seems to be a combination of adding a border and also what JDex said, adding the border alone did'nt seem to make much difference, my geometry was still "off screen" as I zoomed in. But, as I am a new XSI user (purchased only a week ago) I'm still learning heaps and most probably am going about this the wrong way. The fundamentals or PDF's don't seem to explain much about this for modeling purposes.

Thanks again guys.
Evan

jorgevaldes
09-17-2004, 10:04 PM
The fundamentals or PDF's don't seem to explain much about this for modeling purposes.

Thanks again guys.
Evan

what about the DVD's?

Ablefish
09-17-2004, 10:06 PM
Adjusting the picture ratio in the camera properties unfortunately only stretches the image... you're still missing the same amound of geometry. When you added the borders, did you add them only to the top and bottom... maybe giving yourself a square image at the end? That might work best.

Oh yeah, and you've probably noticed this by now but using the F key to frame a selection doesn't really work, even when zoomlock is on. You have to manually move in. If image planes work for you though, then go for it!

evan
09-18-2004, 04:22 AM
Thanks guys. Image planes work a treat, and as you mentioned, they work well with the frame keys. Yes, I made the images for the rotoscopes 800x800 pixels and pasted the blueprints into those to make sure they were square. But I had to play with the cropping settings under transform/edit image still. But in the end the planes work the best as framing the objects/selections work best. Much appreciated though.

jorgevaldes - well so far I've only watched about 80% of the modeling/texturing DVD but hav'nt seem anything on rotoscopes. Maybe they are covered in the animation DVD. Its going to take me a while to watch all of those :D

Ciao
Evan

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.