PDA

View Full Version : dual monitor setup

squeige
09-17-2004, 02:01 AM
I have a dual xeon machine on dual monitors is there a way that i can hit render contine working on moitor 1 and look at monitor 2 when its done?
right now i hit render in the renderview and maya freezes till the renderer is done

squeige
09-17-2004, 02:18 AM
its like the renderview ties maya up, is there as a workaround a way to tell maya to render current view as a batch i guess so i can specify #of proc and tell it to open in an image viewer or something?

BillSpradlin
09-17-2004, 02:34 AM
You can always just save the file, open up a command prompt in your other monitor and render the frame from the command line and continue working on the other monitor.

MunCHeR
09-17-2004, 08:35 AM
2 more tricks to make you more Maya-guru ish:

#1:Not many people realize this, you can render a .ma or a .mb by just right clicking on it on the file. You dont need to have maya open or a cmd prompt open.

#2: You can start a batch render in Maya, then close Maya. The mayabatch.exe will keep running until the render is complete.
If you're using windows you wont get OGL performance on your second diaplay, unless you horizontal span them, also are you rendering with both processors? Might be better to just let both processors render and go and do something else for a while, depending on your scene ofcourse eg: make coffee,take a dump, watch a dvd, go on holiday, write a book or my personal favorite sleep :D

Cheers

MunCH

squeige
09-17-2004, 11:16 AM
ok well what i was trying to do is have a window in monitor2 as i am working on texturing wich i can render as i work on my textures.. but i guess it can`t be done where do i get more info on command prompt rendering? can i tell it too show rendering progress from command prompt?

MunCHeR
09-17-2004, 11:20 AM
theres quite a few threads on command line rendering in this forum right here

MunCH

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.