PDA

View Full Version : photomanipulation - fliped or not?

Ch3
09-17-2004, 12:03 AM
i've just finished this photomanipulation for my girlfriend.
My small problem is whether to choose the original or the fliped one.

Don't you get a different feeling between them or is it just me after looking them for so long?

http://users.otenet.gr/~herouvim/net/tios1.jpg

http://users.otenet.gr/~herouvim/net/tios2.jpg

thanx in advanced.

Man
09-17-2004, 08:19 PM
the second one looks better

i think its because the first thing i get to see it's a head [unlike the first one where i see nothing at the top left corner] and i look at where he's looking

Chaoticon
09-17-2004, 09:11 PM
I also like the second one. The dark to bright just seems like a better combination. I see more in the left corner when its dark.

Vagab0nd
09-17-2004, 11:36 PM
Hate to go against the grain, but the first one looks like a more natural pic. The focus on the woman seems right somehow. In the second one , the focus is on the man and the woman seem's muted. Woould not be a big deal but the pic of the man is not as well done, and the coulor of him is muted as well.

Velk
09-18-2004, 01:14 AM
By my eye the first one is a much better image from a composition sense. In general our eyes are trained to view things from the left to right, thus the light line that flows from the top left towards the bottom right draws the eye toward the center which is very pleasing. Just my 2 cents.

davhub
09-18-2004, 06:36 AM
Hei, guys, according to my personal taste I prefer the first.
Velk is right about the vector of seeing images (mutuated by the vector of reading)

The first seems to put the woman in the arms of the man, in a kind of protective world
(girls excuse me for this vision)
The second one shows her quite excaping form him and the grin on his face looks totally different. (in the first is pleasure, in the second is quite an evil grin (obvoiously exaggerating the mood)

thanks for posting! :thumbsup:

Davhub

Ch3
09-18-2004, 07:33 AM
The first seems to put the woman in the arms of the man, in a kind of protective world
(girls excuse me for this vision)
The second one shows her quite excaping form him...

that's what I was hoping to hear. I have the impression that in the second one the girl is falling over, maybe because of the left to right movement.
And yea... i think diagonal line works better in the first one as well.

On the other hand I agree going from dark to light is probable better, but in this case(2nd) the man gets more attention which I dont really want.

I wonder if this left to right issue is different for the Arabic ppl who read the other way.

anyway I've already printed the first one...
thanx a lot for your constructive feedback!

davhub
09-19-2004, 06:50 AM
I do not think the man gets more attention respect the woman..
they have different colours at the same tone..

mm concerning arabic people.. I guess they could say the opposite ;)
the reading vector is primary in understanding pictures..

anyway.. nice effect on the woman arm!
thasnks for sharing!
Davhub

FriarTuck
09-19-2004, 02:51 PM
Okay .. here's what I think

In western society, our eyes are trained to view images from the left to right.

If you were to look at your image in that regard, having the girl on the left makes it look as if she is looking at the guy, therefore it places the guy in the power position because the focus of the image is the girl looking upon him. This would be ideal if this image was done by a girl for her boyfriend and wanted to show herself looking upon him.

If that is reversed then the guy is seen to be looking upon the girl, showing his adoration for her, so this would seem to be more in the vein of what you are trying to achieve. So as far as I am concerned, that would be the better one to choose.

Tuck

Ch3
09-19-2004, 07:01 PM
You really have a point FriarTuck!
For the same reason, the interviewer must sit on the left and the interviewee on the right as he is more important for the show. Notice tho, some well known presenters always prefer to be on the right side of the studio.

I think in the case of my image, its a bit more tricky. The positions, colors and the shape of the bodies influences this perception. That's why other users that replied prefere the first one. My mistake was that I didn't take all those factors into account when I started working on it so to have a consistent and more powerfull result.

Thanx again for the replies!

CLONEOPS
09-19-2004, 08:12 PM
edited.
sor.

flingster
09-21-2004, 10:24 PM
first one i like better...
is this a left handed thing maybe...dunno i'm lefthanded but i seem to align things unusually maybe its something to do with side of brain and vision..dunno..i usually like things aligned on the right but most of the time see them left orientated..maybe i'm just losing it...anyways.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.