PDA

View Full Version : Animation: Singin' Ape

danimat0r
09-16-2004, 11:14 PM
I modeled, animated, and shared rigging duties on this clip. Looking for constructive C&C on the character animation!

11 megs, divx required. Made with Maya, Photoshop, and After Effects.

http://www.ravencottage.com/dan/my_fair_monkey.avi (http://www.ravencottage.com/dan/my_fair_monkey.avi)

Tom W.
09-19-2004, 01:25 AM
Hi their Mr. Danimator, looked good but here's some suggestions:

1: 20 seconds in their is a little up and down movement with staggerring, didn't reall make sense.

2. overlap , there was some but alot of the movements felt rather linear.

3. Perhaps have the character move around the set a little more rather then having him basically in the same spot

4. Left leg 40s in pops.

danimat0r
09-19-2004, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the feedback! Great points, but I'm not completely clear what you meant by the first comment. Could you expand on that a little? EDIT: Never mind. I caught it. :)

Any other feedback is welcome. Thanks guys!

Game-boi
09-20-2004, 11:16 PM
I'm going to agree with the above statements and add these...

The arms sometime have an odd puppet feel (ex. "men are so decent...such regular chaps", "be hailed as a princess by one and by all") I don't know how to explain it other than the movements are sometimes odd. Possible IK-related oddness?

Why is he in a kitchen? I'm dying to know! He's begging to interact with this rich environment. Have him sit down, put something in the fridge, or be cooking something in the oven. Just have him do something! His scale to the kitchen is strange too. It's right for the chairs, but not for the countertop.

But if you want to ignore the these two things...fine. But one thing REALLY needs work is the camera. It feels as though the camera animation was a last minute thought. The biggest issues are the linear keys (most noticable on "If I was a woman!") and how there's very little change in angle, even though the camera floats around. Trying cutting in closer! Who cares if you can only see him from above the waist on a shot or two. I think that on clips like these camera animation often gets over looked. Try taking the animation as is (before making any more changes) and make a draft of playblasts with cleaner motion and creative cutting. You'll see what a big difference this makes in such a small amount of time!

You picked a good clip, and for the most part, the animation is fun and good. Just my two cents.

-Chris

tevans
09-20-2004, 11:45 PM
This song, a wonderful choice, gives you many oportunites for meaningful gesture & irony, if the lyric could be focused on a bit more deeply. I see you have gesticulated to the lyric very well in some places but if you could listen to the song without any visual stimulation and feel it in your own body you might get some more good ideas.
For instance, I see the song strting out as an introspective revery- If it were mine I think I would strt him off gazing out the window, say/sing the first line and then slowly turn to address his audience. I would really play with the irony of a monkey singing about a woman acting as if her home were up a tree. A few close ups - or closer in shots - perhaps when he talks about "the mess thats inside" her head- not too much or too jerkey but judiciously done this sort of camera work could add a great deal. I dont think one can annimate a character without considering the camera as an important apendage to that character-
Anyway you have a really fun idea and i would love to see it developed even more!

danimat0r
09-24-2004, 06:48 PM
Thanks a lot for the feedback everyone! I'm definitely looking forward to working on this more in the future. It was built open-ended enough so that I could revise and improve it over time, provided I didn't get too sick of it. Fortunately I'm not going to have much time now cuz I got a job offer confirmed this morning. Huzzah! :D Thanks again for all the feedback! I hope to post an update before too long, but we'll see. :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.