PDA

View Full Version : Biped Quide and Rig from Biped Quide..

neods
09-16-2004, 09:15 PM
I'm trying to get this to work on my XSI Foundation tryout, but when i click on "Rig from Biped Quide" it starts to load, then all the rig controls show up on the viewport. then it load and everything disappears? when i click on "Rig from Biped Quide" it says "this command requiers the model from (Get: Primitive: Model: Rig- Porpotional quide"

whats wrong? or is this really a part of XSI foundation, or are these only available in XSI Essential?

xzevlin
09-16-2004, 10:25 PM
It seems to have been left in there to confuse those of us who are new to XSI. Here's a solution I found somewhere online that seems to work.

Hit Alt+5 to bring up Netview. In the search box, type "guide".

Proportional Guide will be one of the search results. Drag and drop that into your scene. Set it up the way you want the limbs to go.

Once that's done, go to Animate>Create Character>Rig from Biped Guide.

I think this is an older rig, because it doesn't have the ear and belly wiggle options that are shown in the Production Series DVDs, and doesn't have a side foot roll like that one, but overall it still seems pretty good. If you are using IK arms, make sure not to key rotations on any of the arm bones, always key the effector. I keyed the bones, and it locked up the arms so that they'd only work FK (or I just don't know how to unlock it, I'm still pretty lost)

ThomasHelzle
09-17-2004, 12:20 PM
I think that is one of the Foundation limitations because the character toolkit is missing.
I just find it weird that all the guides are there, all the finished skeletons too, just the conversion doesn't work and I get only an error message that some stuff is missing.
After setting up the complete guide for a character I found that out the hard way.
Would be cool if the docs, dvds and the software itself could make clearer what doesn't work.
I thought that the character toolkit is only needed for creating your own setups...

I now want to try if the finished rigs can be easily adapted to my own meshes without the guide...

Anyone knows more about that?

mr Bob
09-17-2004, 02:19 PM
so its a limit because it doesnt have the character tools what do you expect for the cheap price ......if you want the tools pay more money and stop moaning please

b

ThomasHelzle
09-17-2004, 02:35 PM
mr Bob:

Thanks for the extremely helpful comment. :thumbsup:

I have absolutely no problems with the limitations - I find it amazing what I get for the price. I just find it hard to find out what exactly is working and what not, since "Character Toolset" doesn't tell me anything as a newbie.
There is a lot of stuff in Foundation that looks as if it is working but isn't.
And the docs don't help much in this area.

I don't moan at all.

Just looking for the best solutions for Foundation users.

If you have any constructive explanations, I'm all ears.

SevenString
09-17-2004, 06:16 PM
thanks for the tip, xzevlin! this works like a charm!

I've been using the stock rig as a place-holder for my animatics. I've been delaying the "real" rigging process because I have a lot of characters, all with different proportions. This work-around is going to save me sooooo much time. Even if some elements, such as foot roll, are missing, I can at least tweak and add to the rigs created from the guides.

if you haven't already, you should put this in the "Cool things in XSI..." thread.

SevenString
09-17-2004, 06:32 PM
update:

I'm a Foundation user, and both the biped and quadruped guides seem to already exist in my XSI samples/Models folder as:

BipedPropGuide.emdl
Quadruped_PropGuide.emdl.

Sooo... you shouldn't have to do a net search to load them. Just do an explicit "import" of the desired proportional guide from your local drive, then adjust and rig away!!!

SevenString
09-21-2004, 06:52 PM
Okay, so the foot roll and hip controls aren't missing: you just have to make sure that you do a full right-click select of the guide, otherwise certain rig elements don't get added. Also, you need to either use the default rigging options, or select one of the presets that includes foot roll.

This functionallity IS meant to be included with Foundation. However, I can't find anything in the documentation telling you that you have to explicitely import the guide models, which you DO have to do.

Finally, I DID get the menu-created biped guide to rig by renaming the hierarchical sub-tree to match the sub-tree in the file-based guide (added the work "Details" to the name). This allowed the "rig from biped guide" to work, although elements such as ears and belly weren't available, and I noticed that the foot rig had fewer joints than the guide. I'm sure that this is due to the fact that Foundation includes only the "standard" character rigging scripts, without all of those little extras.

But hey, even this basic autorigging from a guide is sweet sweet sweet.

suppjj
09-24-2004, 07:31 AM
Hi all, I'm new to XSI Fnd and I like what I see so far. I did some digging in the SDK and created some scripts that rig from guides with all the options available. Use the regular Get>Primitive>Model>Biped-Guide, DoglegBiped Guide, Quadruped-Guide and fit it to your character, then open your script editor and load the respective script:

(make sure you are using VBScript for language in the preferences otherwise it won't work)

Hit Run

A dialog box will pop up that will let you choose your options ears, belly, forearm roll etc...
Create a new toolbar and drag the code into it to create a new button for future use.

http://jnorombaba.com/dl_files/RigfromGuideScripts.zip

Happy Rigging

xzevlin
09-25-2004, 07:29 PM
That's fantastic, J_j! You should submit these to XSIBase, or somewhere where lots of other Foundation folks can find it.

T4D
09-28-2004, 11:32 AM
nice stuff :thumbsup:
tho rigging in XSi is pretty dam good but having auto rigging in Foundation is Super :bounce:

Rabid pitbull
09-30-2004, 02:23 AM
Great job J_j this is a very valueable asset to foundation users! Going through the dvd's further investigating character animation was sort of sad when it seemed guide rigs was unavailableto us. Came here found this thread now I am smiling again! Thanks for the wonderful script!:applause:

wrosado
09-30-2004, 02:46 AM
haha.... yeah the guide script is sweet,sweet,sweet!:thumbsup:

now see if you can get HAIR working for foundation!

-JT-
10-19-2004, 05:48 AM
Great J_j !!!
Me too I was frustrated while watching the dvds, I trully hate rigging, this is great !! :)

schuubars
10-30-2004, 10:47 PM
You don't need the scripts, the Dialogs still available...;)

http://www.mouse-arts.ch/3d/char_rigg.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.