PDA

View Full Version : Noob help working with curves (trim, intersect, etc)

dunawayc
09-16-2004, 07:21 PM
Is this possible in XSI? I want to take one curve and perform a boolean operation with another curve to get a third curve. See the image below:

http://img77.exs.cx/img77/8350/trim.jpg

Does XSI have tools to work with curves in this manner? What I'm basically looking for is ways to trim or weld curves together. I can then extrude this curve or otherwise work with it. Can a curve be imported?

Thanks,

Chris

AmbiDextrose
09-16-2004, 09:20 PM
I don't know if XSI supports trimming of curves (though I do know that it supports surface trimming by projected curves), XSI can import curves (and surfaces) via the IGES format. Be aware, though that when Softimage imports IGES files, the orientation is different (I think Y and Z become swapped). There's probably a setting in the export or import that I haven't seen that fixes this.

I must say that I find XSI's support for NURBS somewhat. . . . lacking.

bravmm
09-17-2004, 01:30 PM
Just do your lineart in Illustrator or alike and save as version 8. You'll be much happier than ;)

cheers,

rob

Ablefish
09-17-2004, 03:29 PM
XSI can also Import EPS files.

dunawayc
09-17-2004, 04:58 PM
XSI can also Import EPS files.
I don't have Illustrator, but I can create EPS files so that works out great and is still fairly simple. But I still think these types of curve editing functions should be availabe directly in XSI.

Thanks again

AmbiDextrose
09-17-2004, 05:11 PM
Have you tried the boolean commands? They may work on curves as well. I'll try this when I get home tonight.

spawn73
11-18-2004, 05:18 PM
I searched EPS in this forum and wound up here.

I have imported a EPS file into my scene. I can select it in the Explorer. I hit the f key to try and fit the crvlist on the screen....nothing happens. My selection isn't hidden and I have done nothing to it. I just can't see anything in the viewports. What step have I skipped or missed?

Thanks.

mattmos
11-18-2004, 06:30 PM
Sounds like you have used the latest eps format - try re-exporting as eps V.8 format (older illustrator file format) and re-import into xsi.

Hope this helps...

spawn73
11-18-2004, 07:33 PM
Thanks Mattmos! That worked perfectly. I am not a Illustrator user, so this was an adventure into the unknown to say the least. At least I didn't have to ask the client to resend a new EPS file. Thanks again.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.