PDA

View Full Version : pose deformers?

Tellerve
09-16-2004, 04:09 PM
I'm not sure if that is what they are called or not. What I'm trying to do is remember how to make it so that an enveloped character can have the envelope deform/bulge. Mainly for the waist/butt but also 'cause his thigh is doing some odd stuff. It is normally used to fix the knees, elbows, and maybe do biceps and such if that helps anyone with knowing what I'm talking about.

ok, so thanks for any help

Tellerve

EDIT: *sigh* I should've known, good ol' Ed Harriss has a tutorial for me and I think it'll be what I need.

Tellerve
09-16-2004, 05:17 PM
Hmm, that tutorial doesn't seem to be working for me. I dunno if it is 4.0 and they have changed stuff for what. I really don't remember having to use the animation editor like it says in the tutorial, but it has been awhile.

Tellerve

Ablefish
09-16-2004, 08:14 PM
I'm not sure exactly what tutorial you're refering to, but if it involves shape animation, there have been some changes in 4.0, at least in the workflow with the new construction modes. Check out Secondary Shape Animation in the docs. I'm pretty sure there's a tutorial for linking the shape animation with bone rotations too. Sounds like that's what you're talking about.

chesterjoe
09-17-2004, 07:05 PM
You can link deformation with the orientation of any bone ( waist, elbow,knee, .. any...)
First Rotate your bone to the extreme position you think it is going to make your mesh go crazy, then make a cluster with the points in the "problem zone" and go to deform/shape/ link deform with orientation and pick your bone. After that select the points you need to fine tune move them around to the desired shape ( the ones that belong to the previously created cluster of course) once you are happy with the deformation in that critical bending pose select your cluster and go to: Deform/Shape/ save deform key . that's it, you can now play with the rotation of your bone to see the result. You'll see it is "undeformed" as it was originally when in your relax pose and "deformed" or "fixed" when you bend your "problem" bone.

Hope this helps....

Edit: you have to be in shape mode when doing all the shape stuff aplying the save deform key and such in order for it to work in 4

Tellerve
09-18-2004, 06:26 PM
Thanks Chesterjoe, yeah that's more like how I recall doing it in the past.

thanks again,

Tellerve

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.