PDA

View Full Version : Olympus model BH2 microscope

ScottMc
09-16-2004, 03:40 PM
Hello all,

I have been working on a microscope (Olympus mod BH2 with 2nd viewing arm and video camera mount). It is not quite finished, but I would like to show it so that I might be able to get some feedback on what would make it better. I built and rendered the object in Lightwave, not my favorite 3D program, but I am getting better. I am going for a photorealistic look, to be used in an intro eye candy animation. My current lighting is basic, 4-point lights, raytraced shadows, global illumes (no caustics, few bounces) no effects yet. If anyone has suggestions to get better results form Lightwave please let me know. I can be private messaged here of E-mail at:

PoAffe007@yahoo.com

Questions, comments welcome

THX

Scott

ScottMc
09-16-2004, 03:42 PM
Here are some images of the mesh over renders. Detail images to come shortly.

plaguelord
09-19-2004, 04:06 PM
the mesh looks very clean and well done, maybe some work on the materials. You can post a picture of the original too for comparation.

davhub
09-19-2004, 06:59 PM
Yeah! any photo of the original could be usefl just to compare with..

anyway... are you using radiosity aren't you?
I suggest you to put a dome (unseen by camera in object properties panel)
surrounding the object.
(obviously the dome is a flipped poly sphere)
This could add something for your specs, reflection and radiosuty calcs to work on.

It's unuseful to use bounces in a scene like yours, believe me..
only one bounce in radiosity settings, and work with maps.

effects.. if you do not have to animate.. try the CORONA.. onto luminosity, colour (expecially the second)

we can discuss more with the photoshoot.. :)

the model is nice.. the wires looks a little bit stiff, but nice! keep on
and let us know!
Davhub

ScottMc
09-20-2004, 09:32 PM
THX for replies,

Here are two photographs of the microscope. Itís a pain to move the scope, and the lighting in the room isnít good for photography, but you can see what it looks like. Some of the obvious changes between the model and the photographs are:

PHOTO has a still film camera attached to top-MODEL has video camera that will eventually be attaches to a monitor for viewing.

PHOTO the microscope is slightly shorter -MODEL slightly extended height (trying to make it look more elegant)

Other than that I am trying to copy it pretty exact.

Most of my materials are variations of slight turbonoise on the color. Anything that looks like an image map is. Iím still playing with the glass, but Iím using a polar coordinate room image for the reflection. I have not made many metal materials; I could use some advice on the black metal cylinders for the lenses etc.

Iím going to try some different things with the lighting before posting detail close up images.

davhub
09-20-2004, 09:49 PM
Hi, Poaffe.. try to increase the strength of specularity for the structure metal
(also try fast fresnel shader and if you like to experiment.. BRDF)

but be careful with exaggeration:
i think is a good model very clean.

for lighting setups (hoping not to break any rules of this forum)
did you try EKI's plug-pak? It take a bit to be understood but
it works nice.

let us know! and thanks
Davhub

ScottMc
09-21-2004, 07:02 PM
Davhub-Here is a closer view of the metal that I am not happy with. Iíll try some of the things you have suggested.

davhub
09-21-2004, 11:24 PM
MM PoAffe.. I think, as you can see, textures in 3D programs changes strongly
with lighting setups.. the photo is a little bit grainy, and the light is not so strong, so no specularity at all on metals.

generally: medium size specularity, and low level of it
expecially for the strucutre in pale brown..

with something with luminosity above 0% in the background you could achieve good
results, let us know! ;)

Davhub

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.