PDA

View Full Version : Valve Software migrates to Softimage|xsi

Array
08-09-2002, 07:40 PM
saw this bit on xsibase:

http://www.digitalproducer.com/2002/08_aug/news/08_05/softvalve.htm

Valve software, makers of Half-Life and Counter Strike, have migrated from Maya/3dsmax to Softimage|XSI. Looks like they were attracted to the sexiness that is the XSI SDK. :)

Black&White
08-10-2002, 02:06 AM
Here goes another max hahahah. ahm. (this laugh was for sorrow)

Max and Maya both has good sdk. They know better what is good for them

CitizenVertex
08-10-2002, 02:22 AM
Wait, so you mean the reason why TF2 is like 3 years late is beacuse they were waiting for software that didn't suck?

Array
08-10-2002, 02:43 AM
while max and maya do in fact both have good tools for creating game content, XSI raises the bar with it's directX shader capabilities. im surprised more game developers are not jumping at this oppurtinity.

Grey
08-10-2002, 02:47 AM
my understanding of the "war" between DirectX and OGL is that DirectX is winning on the display issues.

Doesn't Max support directX yet? I had heard that it was slated to a while back.

CitizenVertex
08-10-2002, 03:01 AM
Yes Max supports real time Pixel Shaders and has since 4.0. Unfortuantely it's sort of a hidden feature and requires a lot of programming on behalf of the tool teams to be useful. It's nothing like XSI. It looks like Max is starting to head into a downward spiral with game developers. Max 4 was a terrible platform for game development. I've heard of a lot of companies switching to Maya or XSI over the last year. A suprising number seem to be going to XSI. I don't use XSI but I'm glad it looks like my next job won't require me to use Max.

bentllama
08-10-2002, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by CitizenVertex
but I'm glad it looks like my next job won't require me to use Max.

Amen, brother.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.