PDA

View Full Version : help with this tutorial please

qu2k
08-09-2002, 06:38 PM
im trying to follow the head tutorial at thehobbitguy.com

but at this step http://www.thehobbitguy.com/tutorials/polymodeling/page02.htm
im not sure how you divide a poly without it making other faces in the process (im using max, is this a maya feature?)

dvornik
08-09-2002, 07:38 PM
I'm not sure what you mean. Make sure you are working on editable POLYGON, not editable mesh (convert to it if you need from right-click menu). You can snap to vertices and use the cut tool. Then divide tool. Then cut tool again.

Be aware that this is a hard way to model. Try searching this board for MeshTools to learn a better way.

qu2k
08-09-2002, 07:48 PM
im fairly proficient with max and meshtools and meshwork in general, but how does he cut a line down the poly without it creating any extra geometry? and theres also no points for him to end each click on. hows he do that?

dvornik
08-09-2002, 08:19 PM
Maya split tool from what I understand lets you put one point inside the poly you're splitting and also has a subdivision option (actually it's either/or). But I don't think it lets you just cut like you were drawing a spline.

So in max you would connect vertices, divide the resulting edge into several edges and move vertices into position.

RoscoeMcchicken
08-09-2002, 08:29 PM
qu2k, i think you're talking about the 'divide' option when you're on the 'edge' sub-object when editing mesh in poly mode (mesh mode WILL turn those divided edges into extra polys). you just divide an edge, and it creates more edges (mostly for turning to prevent concave surfaces) but it does not actually add extra poly's if you're within a budget of polygons that you're working toward, as long as ur on poly mode like i mentioned above. you can see these extra edges as vertex ticks if you go to options (by right clicking), go to properties, and un-checking 'edges only' and checking 'vertex ticks.'

I was confused by that stuff too at first, but once you get used to it, it becomes indespensible for making models that flow well without a lot of mess to deal with! great for keeping natural cuves on organic forms.

good luck, dude. :bounce:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.